Running with Horses (Nir'wei)

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Aegis, Basilisk

Val Valencia
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Dancer
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm

30th of Ashan, 718
The weather in the beginning of Ashan was forever a pain, not for the dancer because she loved the rain but her companions did not. Door had barely left the cover of the tent or blanket in the cart, Shoes constantly refused to move from covered areas, making it impossible to get anything done properly. And when her horse could be bothered to walk he was constantly at risk of slipping and sliding, getting stuck in the muck all the while sending Val into a panic because she could not afford him if he got injured and she had barely any idea of how to care for him. It forced her into a corner she hadn’t expected to be in so early in the season.

Once more the dancer winced as she counted her nels and pursed her lips. It was fine, she’d find a way. She always did, and it was for Shoes and Door so she’d make do. With a forceful shake and little holler to amp herself up Val headed into Andaris with a grin, the worries washing away with the cold drizzle.

“Shoes! This time I’m not lying, we’re going to an indoor house, you and Door. So—“ she shoved at the horses rump, “move,” grunted with exertion as she pushed her shoulder into the horse who refused to budge, “your ass!”

The end came out with a surprised yelp as she slid down the back of the horse who huffed and her then shifted to the side, clearly uncaring of what the dancer wanted him to do. Val jumped up, shoving her hand through her damp locks with a laugh, “That was not nice.”

As she looked at the horse another idea sprang to mind, with nimble fingers Val unclipped the cart hoping that taking off the extra weight would prompt the horse to help her walk him to the stables. Then she peeked through her belongings to try and find something to lure the always ravenous horse forward but there was nothing, leaving her to try pleading and shoving at her mount once again.

“Aye miss, you want some help?”

Val spun to face the voice, a young boy of no more than 10arcs, “Oh fates, yes, I don’t know how to make him go!”

“Dad always says you just gotta give ‘em a good smack on the rump.”

“Oh,” Val was a little uncomfortable with the thought of smacking her horse and the boy grinned and laughed.

“Not hard miss, you ain’t gotta beat him just to get him moving.”

“Okay,” Val looked at her horse sternly, “You hear that Shoes? So lets get going!”

The dancer had thought it was a terrible idea but she din’t know how else to make him move but as soon as her hand connected she knew it had been too much for the horse. Not that she’d hit him hard but the shock of it sent the normally patient horse streaking through the roads of Andaris. Not to mention in her nervousness she’d forgotten to hold onto horse, leaving her no room to lead him or stop him from running. There was a trill of stunned motionless from Val before she heard the shouts of panic from people walking and bolted after the horse herself, shouting for people to move and shouting the horses name, her cat behind her in hot pursuit and meowing vocally at being left behind.
Last edited by Val Valencia on Mon May 28, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 587
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Lightning Knight Initiate
Renown: +146
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun May 27, 2018 2:32 am

"Do you really have to remain materialised all the time?" Nir'wei asked yet again as the wolf trotted before him, easily clearing a path through the crowds as they quickly parted for the large wolf, who had little qualms growling and baring his teeth at anyone who got in his way. Apparently there was still a bit of bad blood between him and the people of Rynmere he'd abandoned for his wolfish form... and who had abandoned him long before. "Someone's going to start complaining and then I'm going to have to field all the dumb questions. Not to mention, I don't think either of us would like to see you put on a leash." While it would be amusing for a few breaks at best, it really wasn't something he wanted to get caught up in.

The wolf remained stubborn though, baring his teeth in what could easily have passed for a snarl from any onlooker, but Nir'wei knew for a strange wolfish grin; an odd glitch in his otherwise seamless wolfish persona, a remnant of his human and Becomer days. "Tell you what, when you get a spirit form and are told to use it for breaks at a time, every day, unable to touch or interact with anything around you, locked away like a formless, faceless ghost... you tell me how long you last before you feel you need to break free and knock something off a table just to remind yourself that you're real." Nir'wei sighed quietly. He always welcomed Greyhide's company, but the wolf's presence was starting to unnerve the Volareons, and his overprotective nature meant that he refused to wait in the reception as well. It was like he just couldn't win!

"You'll be thankful one of these days when one of those things turns on you and I'm the only one nearby to fend it off." For a literal animal himself, he had a strange distrust of any mounts he didn't know himself. Traveller was alright in his books, but then, that had taken a lot of reconciliation before the wolf understood he wasn't being replaced. "And they will! Have you ever really sat down and looked at one? They look like a mad scientist experiment gone wrong." It was sadly true... Volareons weren't the prettiest beasts, with their oddly huge ears and strange mixture of leathery skin and fur.

Nir'wei opened his mouth to retort and nearly walked straight into the wolf, who'd stopped stock-still and stared down the road with ears perked. He heard the commotion before he could ask. Yelling, clattering... and hoofbeats, growing louder. His first thoughts sprung to a messenger on an urgent task, or perhaps a Moseke Knight at full tilt to alert support. As the crowds parted around them and the top of the horse came into view, though, there was no rider at all... just a runaway, bridle and halter all set in place but nobody left to hold them. "You want to fend them off, huh?" he said at last as the horse ran, a few passers-by reaching for the reigns, a few grabbing them but none able to hold on long enough to stop the one-horse stampede. Street-side vendors yelled and huddled close to their goods but the horse made a bee-line past them all, at best harmlessly toppling a few wicker baskets and earning a score of muffled yelling as a young couple narrowly jumped to avoid its charge. "Go on then, stop that." Well, he thought he was such a ferocious bodyguard, didn't he?

To his credit, the wolf stood stock-still, even as the huge beast drew near. With several feet between them he charged, barking loudly and baring his teeth, snapping angrily at its fetlocks. It turned left, he followed, refusing to let it pass, until the horse screamed and reared, stumbling back a few steps as its eyes rolled in fear. Not exactly the most calm way to do it... but his luck with horses had never been a thing to rely on, if Malice was any measure of note. Besides, the moment the horse had at least stopped, he could grab the reins and hold it still, a few nearby passers-by who'd watched helplessly on or attempted to grab the horse before rising now to hold it down, reins, head and all. Greyhide didn't move nor did Nir'wei ask him to leave; as long as he kept the horses nose pointing at the growling wolf, the horse wouldn't have anywhere to run but towards it... and right now, it clearly wanted to be as far away from Greyhide as physically possible.

"Easy! Easy. Calm. Shh." Soft, constant reassurance mixed with stroking over the horses snout brought it down slowly, its stomping hooves slowing to a light uneasy prance, its eyes no longer rolling. It whickered and huffed, but it wasn't a biter... nor did it kick anyone behind it, thank goodness. For all the danger it'd caused, the closer he looked, the less it acted like one of those easily-spooked types. Or an aggressive running from its owner. He was soon dying to hear the story behind this one. "You're a nice fella, aren't you? Wow, hah, you really are. Just look at you, huh! Someone takes pretty good care for you, though your coat could use a better scrub around the insides of your legs."
Last edited by Nir'wei on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 941
Val Valencia
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Dancer
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 am

Door weaved between her feet as she ran, making her stumble and hop to avoid falling on her face. Exasperated Val leaned down and scooped up the cat in her arms, holding tight and jogging slower, eyes never leaving her horse. Though her voice did not stop the horse the wolf appearing did. Out of place within the city it send a cold trickle through her, stilled her feet for a tick before a muffled shriek erupted, pushing herself fasting and clutching Door so tight the cat protested shrilly.

“Don’t let it eat him!”

But she didn’t have to worry when a mop of messy hair stopped her horse, keeping the two from each other and stopping the stubborn beast from his romp through the city. Shoving her hair out of her face Val kept a tight arm around her cat, not trusting the beast staring down her hose. Though Door protested with a few angry scratches, the dancer refused to put her down, simply adjusting her hold so the cat leaned more on her hip like a child.

“Thank you!” The words rushed out but her eyes strayed to the horse, moving cautiously to avoid the wolf as she reached free hand to run down Shoes neck, “Stupid thing, what if he hadn’t caught you? You’d be dinner!”

A few relieved tears stung Vals eyes but she blinked them back and finally allowed her cat free, the noisy thing crawling onto Doors back as it was want to do. With both hands free she patted Door as if she knew what she was looking for, facing furrowing as she did until she faced her rescuer finally an side-eyeing the wolf warily.

“Its…not attacking? Is it yours? Do I—Um, should I pay you, for stopping him? Shoes would’ve run till he hit a wall if you hadn’t helped! He didn’t hurt you did he? He usually only looks for food but I ran out of snacks I’m really sorry! I couldn’t get him to do anything and the boy said I could get him to move but he got mad at me and ran off!” The words tumbled out in a rush, Val pointedly ignoring the few people watching them both curiously and with annoyance at the run away horse. If no one would approach her she wasn’t going to offer herself or Door up for their anger. No one seemed hurt, not even the young man helping her which made her feel slightly less guilty at the attempt to get the mulish horse to move.

With an assurance in what she doing, that was entirely false if her awkward demeanor was anything to go by, Val gently moved to take the reins back from her rescuer. With a rueful smile she pulled him closer, wanting to be away from the animal she didn’t trust and eyeing Door to make she the cat stayed put on top of the horse, “I can take him back. We’ve still gotta get to a stable and my carts back there.”
word count: 522
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Lightning Knight Initiate
Renown: +146
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Medal count: 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Running with Horses (Nir'wei)

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm

It wasn't hard to spot the suspected owner in the angry crowds. She looked terrified, and had at some point found the time to pick up a mean-looking cat that clearly didn't want to be held. Bloody hell, she wasn't as messy as him, but it was a damn close contest. "Hey, hey! He'd never eat your horse, don't you worry about that." Greyhide snorted quietly and sat on his haunches as Nir'wei continued to soothe the animal, his hands very conspicuously avoiding the shaggy cat clambering up onto its back like a fluffy little jockey. "Yes, that one's mine, and no, you don't need to pay me. Though I think you might have to pay them." With the immediate threat out of the way, he could hear the raucous of the shop-keepers and stall owners starting up again as they yelled and picked up their dented and smashed wares from the cobblestones. "I'd suggest you get him to your stable sharpish and get him some proper work done, if you're planning on loading him up to a heavy cart... he bolts again and there's nobody to hold him back, he'll keep running until he hurts himself or worse."

As a matter of fact, handing off the reins to the owner and stroking down the huge horses flanks, he frowned at how skittish he seemed - Shoes, was it? "Yes, very nervous." Malice was the first horse that came to mind with a similar affliction, though his came out as anger, not anxiousness. "More walks in public should help, somewhat. Spend more time in crowds with controlled environments, things like that. Mm'h." His hands ran in long, slow strokes up around the horses neck and down the length of his spine and flank, and he could feel the shivers slowly disappearing under his fingers until the horses breaths became even and stable. "Oh, yes, sorry. You should get going." He lifted both hands and stood back, giving a brief whistle to call Greyhide back to his side so that she could pass.

Just before she disappeared however, he spun on the spot and cupped both hands to his mouth. "Don't forget to scrub around the insides of his legs!" he called out afterwards. Greyhide stared at him in utter disbelief, until he could no longer ignore the look. "What? He needed extra scrubbing there..." On second thoughts, hearing himself say that out loud made him immediately realise just how dumb it sounded, and he cringed inwardly. "Yeah, message received. Let's just keep moving." That horse wasn't the only one getting weird looks anymore. They'd drawn a little too much attention to themselves, and Nir'wei ducked his head as he vanished back into the crowds and turned a corner, but Greyhide remained entirely visible as he trotted along at a short pace behind him. Bloody wolf was incapable of taking the hint.

"You know, some days I honestly wonder if you're a lost cause," Greyhide muttered, mostly to himself but clearly within earshot. "Because my god, saving your life is one thing, but nobody can save you from opening your mouth and making an absolute prat of yourself."

"Oh pack it in, she'll thank me later when her horse is healthy and clean... and besides, you know the same could be said for you, too. We need to find a good stream for you to wash the dirt out of your fur after that last chase, otherwise you're going to end up soiling my perfectly good blankets yet again." The wolf gave an almighty sniff for that comment, his head inching a little higher as if he'd touched a nerve of vanity. "Don't even try to disagree with me, either. You get all annoyed when it's time for them, but you enjoy soaking, I can feel it every time I scrub you." He had to make sure not to do it too often, or he'd damage the waterproof undercoating of his fur, but a general soak, even in lukewarm water, was a very calming, perhaps even refreshing experience.

"Fine. But you're joining me. Another day without a proper clean and the next time you stop in the street like that people will start tossing you pennies." Karem above, the nerve of that fleabag!
word count: 746
Korva
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisherman/Woodworker
Renown: +65
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Re: Running with Horses (Nir'wei)

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Rewards!

Name: Nir’wei

Knowledge:
Animal Husbandry (Wolf): Regular baths are good for physical and mental health.
Animal Husbandry (Horse): Dirt in the coat can lead to infection, injury and illness.
Animal Husbandry (Horse): Performing a full coat examination.
Animal Husbandry (Horse): Stressful environments cause detriments to physical and mental health.
Animal Training (Horse): Controlling an animal's behavior by presenting its fear.
Animal Training (Horse): Talking in a low voice to soothe frayed nerves.
Animal Training (Horse): Maintaining constant physical contact to calm the animal.
Animal Training (Horse): Altering behavior patterns through desensitization.

Loot: NA
Injuries: NA
Renown: NA
Magic XP: NA

- - -
Name: Val

Knowledge: Val, if you come back, you're entitled to 8 knowledges!
Loot: NA
Injuries: NA
Renown: NA
Magic XP: NA

- - -
Comments:

I particularly enjoyed the dynamic with the wolf, Nir, even if it was a little jarring at first. The back and forth between them never interrupted the flow of the story. Val, there a few spelling errors here and there but it didn't detract from the way you painted how Val was feeling. It’s a pity you didn’t get to finish it properly, it seems like it would have been an interesting dynamic between the two. But you managed to wrap it up neatly with a cohesive ending anyway, Nir, well done!

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM or ping me in Discord. Thanks!

**Made by the magnificent Kes

Word count Nir: 1,687
Word count Val: 1,109
word count: 280
ન'ઊળઇ૯ ૧એ૪ઇ૮ ઔનઌઈઇ પઇ, પબ ઇબઇ૮ ૯રશ૧ મકઇ ૧એબ. --Korva

Return to “Andaris”