• Solo • The Test Subject

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1090
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Test Subject

120th of Ashan, Arc 718
On the 120th of Ashan Devin Thorn, thief, false fortune teller and self-proclaimed member of one of the Eastern Settlements richest families stood in front of the local noticeboard and perused the messages that had been posted there in order to look for victims. People that could afford to pay a random stranger a few dozen nels often had something valuable to steal. He was just about to rip off a piece of paper on which a family had written that they were desperately looking for somebody to teach their bratty and obviously intellectually challenged son, when a different message caught his attention, and his eyes instantly lit up.

An alchemist was looking for people that he could test his hair growth serum on. A hair growth serum sounded incredibly useful. If he had such a serum, Devin thought, he wouldn’t have to rely on wigs and fake beards anymore. He’d just put a few drops on his face or his head (or the rest of his body if he wanted to become some sort of wolf-man), and he’d instantly have a new disguise!

Running a hand through his lush, dark locks he pondered what the best way of breaking into the shop would be. Should he pick the look on the front door, come through the back door, climb through the chimney or climb through a window – and pack a hunk of meat that had been laced with a sleeping potion in case the alchemist had a guard dog?

No, he realized – none of those things would work. He had no idea what the serum looked like, where it was stored, if it was labelled and what the correct dosage was. He knew from experience that the correct dosage was important. He had been really sick once when he had still been living in Andaris, and the doctor had prescribed him pills. He had taken twice as many pills as the doctor had told him to because he thought that they would be twice as effective. Instead of recovering faster, he had gotten a bad headache and diarrhoea.

He would have to pretend to be a test subject first – and then come back and steal the rest of the serum!
Last edited by Devin on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 395

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Test Subject

About half a break later Devin burst through the door of the alchemist’s shop, a hat on his head, a few strands of hair in his right hand and an expression of great distress on his face. “Sir, you have to help me!” he exclaimed. “You are my last hope! I don’t know who else to turn to!” Peytr looked a little taken aback at first, but then he told him, “Calm down, sir! What do you want me to help you with? What is your problem?”

“My hair!”
Devin exclaimed and gasped, as if he had run all the way to the shop and was completely out of breath. “My beautiful hair! It fell out overnight! Look!” He took his hat off in order to reveal a big bald spot where he had shaved his head. “All men in my family were completely bald by the time they turned twenty-five, and I’m already twenty-four!” he claimed. “I can’t lose my hair! I’m an actor! I depend on my good looks! I was about to shoot myself with my crossbow when I read your advertisement! You have to let me try your magical hair growth serum!”

“Please!”
he pleaded and wrung his hands.

“Well”, Peytr said and gestured for Devin to follow him into the backroom. “I was looking for test subjects anyway. I have to warn you though, sir. My serum is still highly experimental. You may experience excessive hair growth in addition to side effects such as itching or dry skin. I also need to point out that what I’m doing is not magic. Alchemy is a branch of science, not unlike chemistry. I pay all my test subjects ten golden nels. I assume that is acceptable?” he asked and raised an eyebrow.

“Sure”, Devin replied and nodded, trying to hide his excitement because the idiot was actually paying him.

“What exactly do I have to do?” he wanted to know.
Last edited by Devin on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 338

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Test Subject

“Sit down here”, the alchemist replied and pointed at a small stool. Devin narrowed his eyes and looked at said stool as if he didn’t trust it entirely, but then he complied. While he waited for Peytr to start, he took a look around. Shelves that were filled with all kinds of strange containers lined the walls, and dried herbs hung from the ceiling. He was just about to quickly grabbed one that looked especially interesting and valuable when the alchemist turned to face him again, holding a vial that was filled with something that looked a lot like blood.

Devin quickly lowered his hand and tried to look all innocent. “So that’s it?” he asked and pointed at the vial. The alchemist nodded curtly and handed it to him. Devin studied it for a moment before he shook it a little. At second glance, it didn’t look quite as much like blood anymore. It was viscous, like some sort of thick gel. He unstoppered the vial and carefully sniffed at it. It didn’t smell like blood either. In fact, it smelled deliciously like strawberries which made him wonder if it tasted like strawberries, too.

He looked at Peytr who was busy scribbling something onto a piece of paper – probably his research notes or something – and then he quickly dipped a finger into the vial and licked it, figuring that a drop of serum would hardly cause any harm. It tasted divine - for a moment before his throat started to close up, and he began to cough violently and gasp for air. His eyes bulged, his face turned an intense shade of red, and he desperately extended a hand towards Peytr. He felt like he was dying! No, he was dying!

“You moron!” the alchemist exclaimed as he dropped his notes, spun around and knocked the vial out of Devin’s hand. “You aren’t supposed to drink the serum, you are supposed to massage it into your scalp. Open your mouth!” he commanded. Devin who was normally quite a disobedient young man did so immediately, revealing his tongue that was covered with short black hair. Peytr inspected it with an expression of almost perverse fascination on his face, and then he grabbed a vial that was filled with a lime green liquid from a nearby shelf and poured the contents down Devin’s throat.

Another violent coughing fit shook Devin’s body, and then he spit a gigantic hairball out. He had barely recovered from his ordeal, when Peytr thrust a handkerchief into his hands and pointed at the red stain and the hair on the floor. “Clean up the mess you’ve made, and then we’ll give it another try. I’m not sure if I can trust you not to accidentally kill yourself, but I don’t want to look for another test subject right now!”
Last edited by Devin on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 491

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Test Subject

“I think that I need to tweak my serum a little”, Peytr murmured thoughtfully while Devin was kneeling on the floor – a most demeaning position – and scrubbing it clean. “I should probably use a different accelerator.” As he heard that, Devin briefly stopped scrubbing the floor and looked up at the alchemist. He was quite irritated. “Shouldn’t you have made sure that your serum doesn’t cause any harm before you try it out on actual people – and what’s an accelerator, by the way?” he snapped.

Peytr looked at him disapprovingly for a moment, but then he deigned to answer - in a cold and matter-of-fact tone that reminded Devin of his old teacher at the school in Andaris, a most unpleasant man that he hoped he would never have to see again, “An accelerator is a substance that speeds up a chemical or alchemical reaction. Without an accelerator it would take trials to see any results – and even longer for your hair to grow to an acceptable length. As for your other question – which part of being a test subject did you not understand?”

Devin opened his mouth in order to answer, but Peytr had already turned away again and was rummaging through his shelves once more. The thief looked at him for a moment, and then he muttered something unintelligible and went back to scrubbing the floor. It smelled of strawberries as well now – just like his handkerchief and the entire room.

He found this weird. How could such a dangerous substance smell and taste so good?
Last edited by Devin on Sun May 06, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 269

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Test Subject

“This looks good”, Peytr proclaimed, held up another vial and shook it a little. Devin noticed that it was purple rather than blood red this time. “Sit down again, take a walnut-sized amount of serum and massage it into your scalp. Do you understand me, young man? Don’t put it into your mouth, don’t rub it onto your face, don’t smear it onto your chest! Massage it into your scalp! Here, you should probably use gloves so that you don’t grow any hair on your hands!” He dropped a pair of thin leather gloves into Devin’s lap. Devin bit back a scathing comment – in his opinion Peytr should already have given him gloves the first time – put them on and accepted the vial, eying it warily before he poured a small amount of serum into his palm.

He hesitated a moment before he tentatively put it onto his false bald spot – and instantly began to scream. Within trills his whole head seemed to be on fire. It was itching like crazy, and he immediately started to scratch his head which unfortunately didn’t bring him any relief. It just made everything worse. Unfortunately, Peytr didn’t pity him this time either. He just peered at him and murmured, “Interesting, interesting. Your skin seems to have changed colour and turned red. I wonder what caused those boils to appear. An allergic reaction, maybe? Hmmm …” He stroke his chin thoughtfully and then he carefully poked one of the boils with a gloved finger.

“I think I’ll need to add something that soothes the scalp”, he decided. While he looked through his shelves, Devin raised a hand in order to continue scratching. Apparently, Peytr had eyes on the back of his head as well. He spun around and warned Devin, “Don’t scratch! It will just make everything worse!” just as he was about to touch his head. “Quickly! Put this onto your scalp!” Peytr ordered and handed him another vial of hair growth serum. Whatever he had added to it had made it turn bright blue.

By then Devin was so uncomfortable that he didn’t care what happened as long as the itching went away again. The improved serum was cool to the touch and smelled vaguely minty, it instantly made him feel better, and what more, it seemed to work this time, judging by the happy expression on Peytr’s face – at least Devin hoped that it had worked, and he didn’t have more boils on his head that Petyr would be able to poke. He seemed to enjoy doing that.

“Fantastic!” the alchemist exclaimed, clapped his hands and pulled out a small hand mirror. “Take a look! It looks great!” Devin looked in the mirror expectantly, hoping that he would look normal again and not have any boils or bald spots - and his jaw dropped.

“But it’s … it’s blue!” he complained and patted the top of his head incredulously. The boils were gone, but the hair that he had shaved off had grown back royal blue!

“But you aren’t bald anymore!” Peytr retorted as if that was all that mattered. Apparently, he didn’t have any problem with Devin’s new hair colour – or maybe he was just colour-blind. “In order for the change to be permanent, you’ll regularly need to use the serum though. If you don’t, your hair will return to its previous state within a season! Here, take what’s left in the vial, come back in a fortnight and let me know how you are doing!” he told him and practically shoved him out of the shop.

Devin stood outside the door, looked at the vial, ran a hand through his hair that had a few very thick blue streaks now and decided that he would throw it into the trash or try to sell it to the first idiot that he came across. He would definitely not come back and steal the rest. A serum that made him cough up hairballs and turned his hair blue would be of no use to him.

If he wanted blue hair, he could just dye it or put a wig on!
word count: 715

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

The Test Subject

Devin

Knowledge
Skill
Alchemy: Alchemy is a science, not magic
Deception: Shaving your hair in order to pretend that you are going bald
Deception: Feigning despair
Disguise: A hair growth serum is not a good substitute for a wig
Medicine: The correct dosage is important
Medicine: Being a test subject can be hazardous to your health

Non-Skill
NPC: Peytr Lovan: Alchemist

Loot: +10 gn
Injuries: Not really
Renown: Small (+10) You will be known as "the guy who turned his hair blue once by trying out crazy alchemical baubles"

Points 10

Comments: This thread was really weird and crazy! It was very entertaining though - the thread allowed itself to be ridiculous, which was pleasant, and certainly possible in terms of an experiment gone wrong! Good job!
word count: 140
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”