• Event • [Seasonal Event] Something in the (sweet) wine water?

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Sephira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Element
Renown: 415
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Seasonal Event] Something in the (sweet) wine water?

Noticing Amaris on the opposite shore the woman lifted her left hand in a brief wave before Rowan launched into a tirade, cursing Amaris for getting him to come on this expedition. The Element looked at the thin man with an expression of distaste before proceeding to open the portal they would use to reach the island. The moment the boom of the portal tore across the area Rowan cried in shock, making a wicked smile cross the Rupturers lips. The image was made all the more frightening when her Rupturing witchmark was set alight in her eyes, casting a crimson radiance through her irises. With a curvaceous smirk and the glowing, yet amused eyes fixed on Rowan it was easy to see her delight in scaring him.

Sephira chuckled to herself as she completed stabilizing the portal. The man had been a constant thorn in her backside since they had met, even arguing over leadership of the group with her. The mage had not forgotten that transgression, even if she had withheld an emotional response. Suggesting that she was so cowardly that she would use her magic to run away and leave them behind had been a step too far, but the woman had kept her mouth shut.

His only redeeming quality was that he had helped fend off the birds attacking her earlier. She hadn’t forgotten that, but it didn’t make the moment any less satisfying when he shrieked at the use of her magic.

One had to enjoy the little things in life.

After stepping through the portal and holding it open long enough for the others of her group to enter, the mage dismissed the rift in space with a twitch of her left hand. The portal sealed, allowing the fabric of reality to flex back into its normal shape.

Once she was firmly on the shore of the islet she tapped into the Frequency of the tree, Sephira was met with a cacophony of Notes, both wondrous and confusing. It was a struggle for her Attunement spark to focus on any one thing and complete the attunement fully. Her spark was like a songbird, easily distracted and focused on flitting from Note to Note with little care for her own desires. With a sigh of irritation the mage released her hold on the Frequency and quelled her spark’s own curiosity. At least from what she could tell, the tree had no intention of harming them outright, that was a small comfort.

The door itself was another matter, sitting there ajar and hinting at something beyond its threshold. For a moment Sephira was transported back to the moment that she was initiated into Rupturing, when she sailed through the cosmos with her master Elias at her side. The void beyond the door called to her, summoning those memories of careening through the unknown. The mage stepped forward, nodding firmly at Ela’s plan.
“I say we go in, clearly this has something to do with the strange activity in the Woods.” The Element noted, touching her hand to her chin as she continued to examine the door.

“If we go back now, then we will have learned nothing.” She concluded somberly.
The tree itself was strange, rippling through all the colors of the season one after another, the leaves appearing almost like colorful jewels affixed to the branches. For some reason, being there left the woman feeling energized, rather than exhausted by the events of the last few breaks. Something about the nature of the tree itself seemed so be affecting them, like an aura of sorts.
Note
I say we go in!

Word Count: 600
Dialogue|Thoughts
word count: 622
Rowan
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 50
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Angry he may have been but Rowan had never meant to make Amaris cry. Even across the water, he could see the tears that he had caused and he felt ashamed. The young man's face reddened, his tongue stilled too late even as he heard one of the men - Tom? - yelling across at him. Perhaps the man would get him back for this or maybe he wouldn't. However, if he did, he felt that it was deserved. He had been unnecessarily cruel, but he had always had a nasty temper; it was how he'd gotten his nose broken not once but twice.

No doubt, he had lost the respect of a number of people through his outburst or prevented others from gaining respect for him. They probably thought that he was cowardly, using the water between them to prevent any real retaliation, the distance making it impossible. Unfortunately, there was no way to take back his outburst, no way to take back his needlessly cruel words.

When he glanced up, the blond could see Sephira’s distaste, the young woman making her disapproval of him quite clear. They hadn’t known each other long but the mage had never been subtle in her opinions of him, negative as they frequently were.

When she opened the portal, terrifying him in the process, she took obvious satisfaction from it and truthfully, he couldn’t blame her for it. However, she couldn’t have known just how frightened he was of her. It was the magic, but she didn’t know his history, didn’t know the environment of anti-magic sentiment that he had grown up in and run away from. While he had left Rynmere, Rynmere had not left him, not as much as he would have liked.

The scarlet glow in her gaze only added to the horror of the situation, making her appear as unnatural as they’d always been told mages were, terrible individuals who had made deals with forces they should not have. Some people had described mages as being less than human, what humanity they had originally held gone or at least greatly diminished. Rowan had often wondered what happened to those who weren’t human to begin with but right now, he had a far better notion of what all those stories had been talking about.

The young man shuddered, fighting the urge to recoil from her after he’d stepped through the portal. By the time he’d recovered from the odd magic, her gaze appeared to have returned to normal and she looked more like herself. Still, that glimpse into something… otherworldly wasn’t one that he would forget in a hurry.

Once he had a chance to calm down, Rowan could examine his surroundings, appreciate the stunning beauty of the tree that stood before them. From the shore, the changing leaves had been visible but over the distance, they hadn’t gotten the smell. It was lovely, altering through seasons before their very eyes and noses.

Soon, they were joined by others, each wanting to weigh in on what to do, curious about the door set in the tree’s trunk. Many wanted to open it further, one man had already suggested investigating more before they did anything.

He drifted to Amaris’ side. “I’m sorry for what I said, Amaris. I didn’t mean it but I was pissed off. Forgive me?” he asked softly, pleadingly. For this, he trusted their opinion and he wanted to be able to talk to them freely. “I think we should open this door. This is more your area than mine though so what do you think of that?”
Off Topic
600 on the nose! Also in case it isn't obvious, he's definitely for opening the thing!
word count: 643
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Immortal
Profession: God of Curses
Renown: 665
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Smoke blowing rabbits?! Damn, that was pretty impressive actually. Not as impressive as hallucinogenic exploding fish, but still enough to make Tio wish he'd been there. From the sounds of things each of the three groups had come across something really strange in their journeys to get here. This whole place had a strange feeling to it; an unusual energy in the air that was neither good nor bad, just sort of... there. What could be the cause of all this? And why had he yet to find any signs of the massive pile of gold he was hoping was here?

Using the boats he'd painstakingly helped haul all the way here, Tio crossed over to the small island and joined the others as they gathered around the mysterious tree that sat before them. Up close it was impossible to miss how different sides of the tree were all stuck in different seasons: the spring side dotted with new life getting ready to bloom; the summer side lush and full of green leaves; the autumn side letting ruddy red leaves trickle down off of it like rain; and the winter side sparse and covered with snow. It was quite obviously some kind of magic tree, and for a moment the alchemist in Tio wondered how exactly it worked. Yet he was barely lost in though for a few trills before Tio shook those thoughts out of his head. It didn't matter to him how such a wonder of nature worked, just that it looked damn impressive. Better to marvel at it than try to harness this particular power for himself.

The conversation of the group turned towards what move they should make next, and a wide, sharp-toothed grin grew over Tio's face. There was really no question of what to do next. "I say we swing that door open and jump in, head first!" He declared loudly, rubbing his hands together in anticipation as he stepped nearer to the door. "That looks like a big old endless void in there to me, so it's not like we're at risk of hitting something! C'mon! It'll be so much fun!"
[/align]
word count: 382
Fast Facts
Noticeable quirks your character can see when threading with Tio.

Floats

Tio floats in the air, usually just a foot off the ground.

Explodeibur

Tio wears a scary looking gauntlet on his right hand that is clearly magical. It creates explosions.

Mercury

Tio has a masked alter ego who leads The Court of Miracles.

Enchanting Voice

Tio's voice has hypnotic properties.
Kura Wolfsdotter
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Council Member
Renown: 610
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kura frowned deeper as Amaris started crying, but her look turned contemplative as Ela walked over to Amaris and offered comfort, advice for dealing with such. Kura smiled at the sight of it and when her little sister walked over to join her, she put an arm around the younger girls shoulders and pulled her into a half-hug. "You're growing up, Ela." she said, her tone gentle and warm. She had seen her little sister fall almost completely into a savage, solitary, misanthropic lifestyle, had seen her turn almost entirely away from anything to do with the civilized world that Kura worked so hard to protect and nurture. She had tried to slow her sisters descent, but this was the first sign she had seen that Ela was starting to become more than the self-declared "Apex of Scalvoris", more than a complacent wildling who had grown too comfortable with her own status. More than that, though, it was a sign that Ela, who Kura had long ago accepted would likely never be particularly comfortable in civilization, was starting to accept that people were more than just trespassers, prey, or family. "Mum would be proud of you. So would your father." she said, her tone still gentle.

At Ela's suggestion about the door, Kura shrugged slightly. "I could believe she led us here, aye. But Immortals aren't the only Power in Idalos, and I could see this leading us here as well. Of course, the question is, why were we led here?" she said, her tone musing. "This is almost certainly the source of the strangeness we've encountered, and I'd guess if we came here last season, we'd have found the door closed." she said, her tone quiet and contemplative. "Opening the door further could make the woods more dangerous, but I don't think closing them is more than a temporary solution to the problem. If we go inside the door, we can cut it off at the source, or fix something if it's damaged. Or perhaps keeping the door shut has been damaging the woods in some way." she said, her tone speculative as the rest of the group considered the door. "That being said, we should be cautious, yes. If we're only going to send one person in, we could send my Velduris familiar, Phelan. I can summon him back to me, if there's something violent on the other side of the door or leaving through normal means is an impossibility. If it's safe, we can go in ourselves as well." she said, her tone calm, collected.

Then Tio, about as interested in thinking things through as he ever seemed to be, spoke up and Kura grinned and shook her head. "You know, Tio, one of these days, your impulsiveness is going to get you killed. If you don't do something catastrophic and stupid first." she said, grinning at the man who had assisted her on a few previous expeditions. Hell, he had been there to help her solve a murder that had been left unsolved for very nearly a lifetime. But if he didn't learn to curb himself, he really was going to die young, like a lot of adventurous people she had known in her time. Oddly, most of them had been friends too, much like Tio. She supposed that was what she liked the about them, that they led their lives in the moment in a way she had never, would never, be able to. There was something inherently admirable in their impulsiveness, in a way. "But if you do, let us know how it goes."
► Show Spoiler
word count: 631
Please send all PM's to my Basilisk account.
Amaris
Approved Character
Profession: Councilor of Natural Affairs
Renown: 242
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

- common / murnasian

Their intention had never been to attract attention with their tears. If anything, they were surprised by the surprise from their expedition companions, members of both teams coming to comfort them. Though, they still couldn't blame Rowan for his outburst. They had put him in danger by suggesting he come here. If he hadn't made it or was injured, they wouldn't have faulted him for haunting them or even cursing them harder than he had before. Expressing this sentiment was not so easy as thinking it, however, and with each attempt to get across that they did not blame the man for his anger, someone new would approach or give their assurance.

One woman in particular, from the other group they supposed, with sharp claws gave her face a pat more gentle than they were expecting. It was soon followed up with an offer to handle anything of a violent nature, and with widened eyes, they shook their head. "No need; I'm fine." Hurriedly, they wiped their eyes and donned a smile they hoped was much firmer than the one they'd worn before. They should have, theoretically, been better at pretending to be okay; perhaps all the unintended practice they'd gone about all of the season thus far would pay off. "I'm sorry to worry everyone, but we should focus on the situation at hand. I'll be okay." With that, they nodded with one last sniffle.

They had distracted the group - stupid - but soon enough everyone was back on task. If ever they could hear their own inner voice berating them, it would be now. Its discontent with them was already quite clear at this point. Crying on the job? Distracting others? This was supposed to be the one thing they were good at. But, apparently they could not get through this without some sort of incident. It was a wonder they hadn't gotten anyone mauled or worse to begin with. There was a waiting that they were beginning, knowing that something could and most likely go wrong. The question was: who would be the one among them that would be affected by it most.

As discussions began for the next step, Rowan came to their side. The mixed blood's smile remained, another apology on their lips before the man beat them to it. They had inconvenienced someone who hadn't been wrong. "There's no need to apologize; I'm sure anyone else would have reacted that way if I'd brought them along. I'm so sorry for endangering you in this way. I should have been more cautious about this whole thing." With that in mind, their decision was made.

Most of the group seemed content with opening the tree up further. While they were much of the same mind, it was a risk that they could not take willy-nilly. Lips pursed, they stepped up slightly and cleared their throat. They'd only heard one person advocating for an examination of the door - Hookor. He had the right idea, but they were sure the two of them would be outvoted. "I don't think we should go in there without some examination of the door. Considering what we've all experienced on our way here, if that door is indeed the cause for all of this, it wouldn't be very wise to just step through it." Swallowing, they continued, "And if we should need to go in, I offer to go in first, so that if something does go wrong, I might be able to warn everyone and the damage can be limited to a single individual rather than all of us as a group."
ooc note
600 exactly! And Amaris is firstly concerned with looking around the door and its surrounding area, but has volunteered as tribute to go in!
word count: 647
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

85th Ashan, 718
The tree was there and, all other quibbles and petty squabbles aside, the tree was the main focus for all of them.

That was probably a very good thing and, they each took a slightly different approach. Hookor began to make notes and, in doing so he noted a few things. Most prominently, as he started to look at the shape and size and layout of the roots, he spotted that there was a pattern. A very definite pattern. It was not like there were lots of roots, but rather like the tree was made from one long root and trunk, a swirling, tangled yarn in the shape of a tree. He didn't touch it, so he couldn't know what it felt like, but where one part of the root disappeared underground, it then reappeared some time later, then disappeared underneath again. Eventually, it came out and began a twisting, winding, meandering journey into being the trunk of an enormous tree. Like one strange strand of... something.

Rynata, too, examined the tree and in doing so, she noticed something different. As she circled it, she spotted that the amount of time it took her (and her small companion) to get around the tree was... off. She walked around it and it took longer than she would expect. Like it was bigger than it looked. As a rough guess, it took her about twice as long to walk around it as she would estimate it should. While she did that, it seemed to be the right size for the steps she took, but when looked at as a whole, it appeared smaller. Strange.

Meanwhile, Ela was more concerned with Amaris than the tree, at least at first and she offered to break Rowan's knees - or face - as required. Yet, strangely, this was perhaps the most gentle Ela had ever been. When she spoke to Ben, though, he looked at her and pointed out that, in fact, there was nothing inside. For all they knew, anyone who stepped in was going to be falling into the Abyss so no. No. There would be no stepping in just yet.

Devin wasn't for stepping in, exactly, but the fake naturalist recognised that he felt better, more energised than he had before. He and Rynata moved together and they even had a quiet conversation. Devin made sure to take some samples and he discovered something quite strange. As soon as he put a leaf from the tree into a vial, for example, it crumbled to dust, to nothing at all. Every sample he took (and any Rynata did too), from anywhere on this small islet - they reacted the same way. Just crumbled to nothing. What could it mean?

Then, once she had unnerved Rowan sufficient, Sephira explored the tree with her Attunement and she discovered a lot about it. The notes, jumping around like a songbird, were hard to decipher and seemed more than multi-layered. There was something very different about this tree, but there were no Notes of danger - in some ways, just the opposite. Yet, they were alien to her, also - even as they energized her.

Rowan was more concerned with his relationships than the tree - but then maybe that wasn't surprising or unwise considering what had recently happened. He was terrified of the magic, yet he stepped through and that must have unnerved him further. Then, he spoke to Amaris and might notice that Tom watched him. The scholar and guide was not the kind of person to lose his temper easily, and he seemed to calm down quite quickly when Rowan apologised. That was good. But still, he kept one eye open. Just in case.

Much to Tio's disappointment, there continued to be no pot of gold here, but instead, a tree. His examination of the tree, such as it was, led him to the conclusion that the thing to do was to jump into what he dubbed the "endless void" inside. Must be said, that didn't seem to make most people want to do it, strangely. Maybe he needed to work more on his sales pitch?

It was probably no surprise that Kura had an option in terms of Phelan. After speaking to her sister, the elder Mortalborn turned her attention to Tio and she spoke. When she did - everyone else saw the mist swirling around them, between them. Rainbow hues swirled and joined the two together.....

Then, Amaris spoke and was clear - they had not intended to cause a fuss, accepted Rowan's apology and agreed with Hookor's assessment. However, Amaris was also right in that they were outvoted. Significantly so.

The group vote was to open the door further and that was what they did. Tom took a stick and did that and, as he did, everyone saw the same thing.
Lots of colours, lots of them. Flying past in enormous gusts of wind which howled and screeched around them. The colours swirled and the winds raged, knocking them backwards and / or off their feet. The more the door opened, the more of these.... things..... came out. The gusting, hurricane like winds poured out of the doorway but, within them were individual strands, for want of a better word, of colour. Each one let out a noise - a screaming, screeching red, a deeper more monotone and heavy bass purple, high pitched whistling green. They moved, those strands of colour, like they were alive and riding the wind the group had released.

And it should be noted that all of the animals with them, felt very, very uncomfortable. Even Phelan, the spirit wolf, found them decidedly unpleasant. He wasn't afraid, per se, but the more mundane animals certainly were as the winds whipped the strands of colour around them.

Consequences this round:
Secret Achievement: Attention to Detail!! Unlocked: Hookor, Sephira, Devin and Rynata have noticed something which could be very important.
Achievement: Caution is Advised!! Unlocked: Hookor and Amaris advised caution. Bonus at the end!
Achievement: Caution is Over-rated!! Unlocked: Rynata, Ela, Tio, Rowan, Kura, Sephira and Devin advised further exploration. Bonus at the end!
Achievement: Clear and Concise! Unlocked: All pc's wrote in 600 words or under!
Achievement: Accurate, Clear and Concise! Unlocked: Devin, Ela, Sephira, Rowan, Kura, Amaris and Rynata, wrote a post of exactly 600 words! Bonus is coming your way! Consequence: Unknown:
  • Kura and Tio have "bonded in the mist" - they have improved communication / awareness of each other and can temporarily hear each other's thoughts...... Oh, and they can feel sensations the other one does !!

Map

Map of Sweetwine Woods
► Show Spoiler

NPCs

Ben
Most obvious attribute: Strength
Cautious
Good with boats
Prefers an axe
Superstitious
Very attached to his late mother
Doesn't like being called Billy Boy
Is evidently, the forgiving sort
Is not afraid to bully people into pulling their weight
Has a strong sense of fairness.
Jim
Most obvious attribute: Speed
Finds it hard to stay still
Enthusiastic
Talks a lot.....
Doesn't like drugs
Has always been full of energy
Tom
Most obvious attribute: Intellect
Works at the University
Quite competitive
Some fieldcraft knowledge.
Has a "little bit of skill" with a bow (but doesn't seem to know much)
Dislikes conflict
Wants everyone to get along
Will stand up for what he believes to be right

OOC Info

! Message from: The Rules
The rules for this thread are as follows:
  • I will post once a week, on Sunday. If you all post sooner, I might do the same, and then you'll have another week. I will post again on the 3rd June 2018 Apologies for the delay - we're nearly finished!
  • There is no posting order throughout this thread.
  • This thread has objectives (both stated and hidden) and Achievements. These will impact the thread itself and the consequences at the end.
  • One post each between mod posts.
  • Do not control the NPCs
  • If you've got any questions, PM me.
  • We're going on the old "three strikes and you're out" school of thought.
 ! Message from: Points to Note
This is a potentially high risk thread. Your pc might be maimed, scarred, psychologically damaged, forced into strange and weird situations, killed or even forced to stop and take a long, hard look at their lives.
This thread will have an impact on all of Scalvoris.
No animals, trees or imaginary friends were harmed in the creation of this thread.
This thread structure and objectives, achievements etc are following a way of modding which was done by a very good friend, Straylor. All credit to him for the ideas.)

Objectives

! Message from: Must Do Objectives This Round!
1. Award for the best non-swearing expletive.
2. Make your post 2 parts, please.
- part 1, is the general chit chat etc.
- part 2, which must be no more than 200 words, is where you respond to the gusting wind / colours bit. Clearly state here what your character is attempting to do (open the door further, close the door, grab on for dear life, stop and do their hair, etc) but do not assume success. Thanks :)

It might be that someone posts in front of you and that negates the individual action you were going to take. If that is the case, please post your actions regardless of others but be aware that some might not happen.
word count: 1590
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Profession: Student
Renown: 65
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

As the colours swirled, the winds hurled, and the mystery unfurled, young Hookor's mouth curled...into a frown of perplexed dismay. What was this thing, this tree, what was it anyway? His notes were taken, and a clue was found. The tree was like rope, that wound up from the ground.

"There is something odd, about this tree."
said Crook as he fought. "Its roots are but one, like a gigantic rope." his words, lies they were not. He listened to the others, though the wind made it hard. For clues he paid attention, to dictate them to card.

"Faldrun's Fiery Farts!" The blue boy shouted in fear. His eyes watering, his breath leaving, was the end near???

"I think we need to study this further." Hookor shouted above the roar. He himmed and hawwed, and then himmed and hawwed some more. He watched the others, and would do his best to assist. But make no mistake, he was no snowflake, and would do his best to resist. The wind would try, oh yes try, to remove him from the ground. Crook, however, would have none of it, and would try to keep sound...

----
Hookor would continue to take notes, if he could, but if this proved futile, he would simply reach for the nearest large object staying on the ground, and hold on for dear life. If he can, he will help others as they need it.
word count: 247
Tio Silver
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Immortal
Profession: God of Curses
Renown: 665
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tio's plan to jump into the endless void didn't seem to go down quite as well as he'd hoped with the rest of the group. Well that was fine, perhaps he could tie himself to a rope and get one of them to hold on to it so that he wouldn't be lost in the endless abyss forever? Whilst his imagination ran away with him thinking about what it'd be like to float about though what he presumed would be a zero-gravity environment, Kura lightly admonished him for his impulsive behavior. Suddenly there were strange colours surrounding him, and in alarm Tio looked around to see that a rainbow hued fog had sprang forth from nowhere and surrounded him and Kura! Was this the tree's doing? Was it some kind of dangerous magic?

Fortunately the mist soon faded, apparently without any adverse effects. "Well that was weird." Tio thought to himself, unaware that his internal monologue could now be heard by another. Strangely enough Kura might almost notice that in the background of his thoughts there seemed to be music gently playing over and over again, like a song had gotten stuck in a permanent loop in his head.

He looked back into the endless void within the tree trunk, and once again his mind wandered away to a far away place . "What would happen to the world if all the penguins tried to take over? They are birds, so one of Delroth's followers could probably make it happen if they put their mind to it. I doubt any army could withstand a unified penguin assault, and there're so many of them up in the colder regions that Viden wouldn't stand a chance. If the Videnese technology fell into their hands what could possibly stop them from adapting to warmer climates and marching to Scalvoris in force? I'd better reinforce my house with some kind of anti-seabird defense. These are exactly the kinds of threats that nobody else has the foresight to prepare for!"

As the majority of the group wanted to push the door further open Tom picked up a nearby stick an obliged. No sooner had he done so than a gust of wind slammed into the group, knocking many of them off their feet. Tio was lucky in that regard that he was kin to the wind, for instead of ramming into him like it did to the others the gale merely rolled around his figure, tugging at his hair and clothes but for the most part leaving him unharmed. From out of the door stands of colours emerged, vigorously twirling like demented ribbons in the strong breeze, and let out a cacophony of different noises.

"Holy high-jumping jockstrap!" Tio mentally cried to himself in alarm as the colours flickered and flew before him. Thanks to the protection of the wind he was right up close to them, and a sense of curiosity overtook him as one of the strands, a glistening jade green in colour, whipped around in front of him. "I wonder what would happen if I touched it?..."

Cautiously Tio reached his hand out towards the jade strand and tried to catch it out of the air.
[/align]
word count: 561
Fast Facts
Noticeable quirks your character can see when threading with Tio.

Floats

Tio floats in the air, usually just a foot off the ground.

Explodeibur

Tio wears a scary looking gauntlet on his right hand that is clearly magical. It creates explosions.

Mercury

Tio has a masked alter ego who leads The Court of Miracles.

Enchanting Voice

Tio's voice has hypnotic properties.
Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1090
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

As Devin stuffed a leaf from the tree into a vial so that he would be able to study it and hopefully turn it into a highly addictive drug later on, he noticed something strange. It immediately crumbled to dust. He tried it again with different leaf, thinking that his mind had been playing a trick on him – with the same result. The leaf just disappeared. Furrowing his brow, he took a bit of dirt and tried to stuff that into a vial next. It turned to dust as well. No matter which samples he took, they disintegrated the moment he tried to stuff them into a vial which meant that there was either something wrong with his vials or the islet itself. Since the vials hadn’t done anything strange the last time that he had used them, the latter was most likely the case. He was beginning to get a really bad feeling!

“Look at that!” he said to his unwitting accomplice. “Something on this islet makes stuff disappear. I don’t think that we should …” He was about to say that he didn't think they should open the door because there was a chance that it was filled with a highly corrosive substance, but it was just then that Tom grabbed a stick and did just that. Devin’s eyes widened in horror, and he opened his mouth in order to scream at him, when those … things started to come out of the door. The wind instantly knocked the false naturalist backwards, and he landed flat on his behind in a rather painful fashion and just stared at all the colourful swirls for a moment before he scrambled to his feet again.

---

“By Famula's bloody tits! Shut the door again before it’s too late!” he roared at Tom, and then he abruptly grabbed Rynata’s hand and tried to drag her away from the tree. “Run!” he screamed. She had turned out to be quite useful, and he didn’t want her to die just yet, and if she didn’t want to leave, then he’d make her! There was nothing to be gained here. There were no drugs and no treasure and no magical gas that he would be able to sell to the alchemists on Scalvoris, but just a bunch of colourful swirls that made the animals that were with them really uncomfortable and that might turn them into dust the moment they came in contact with them.

Unlike that Tio fellow who had wanted to jump through the door at first and who was trying to touch the swirls now, he was not suicidal!
word count: 458

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Rynata lent an ear to Devin’s whispers and tilted her head curiously. She gave a rueful smile, assuming that the man was jesting, if only a little. While she didn’t think two were enough to confront the mysteries of the tree, it was still true that an impasse wouldn’t benefit anyone either.

“If it comes down to it, I suppose someone will have to take the initiative. It might as well be us,” she said.

She watched as her companion tried and failed to take samples and frowned contemplatively at the disintegrating material. Come to think of it, wasn’t it taking too long to get back to the others? They were halting every now and then to examine their surroundings, but even so, Rynata felt like she should have already passed the rest of the group by now.

“That, or the material itself isn’t something we can take away from the island. Maybe it’s not meant to leave,” she offered, finally stepping full circle back to where they had started. “Didn’t that take long? The base must be wider than it looks,” she estimated nonchalantly. If this had been any other tree, she would have dismissed it, but as this was an evidently magical occurrence, something remained snagged at the back of her mind.
- - -
Then Tom opened the tree door and colorful chaos broke loose. Shoved by the wind, Rynata stumbled back a few steps, and wide-eyed, quickly dropped to the ground. It wasn’t so much tactic as it was her wish to make herself as small as possible. The screaming, screeching noise froze her limbs and sent her heart jumping anxiously. This seemed uncomfortably familiar.

Before she could dwell on it much, however, a hand was grabbing her and attempting to pull her away. Devin would find it hard to get weak-kneed Rynata to stand, let alone turn her back on the tree and run. Still, he did manage to drag her for a few clumsy steps. It was enough to shake some functioning sense back into her.

“By Chrien’s flying flippers! Wait!” she cried. “Stay down.”

It was her turn to grab Devin and dig in her heels. There was nowhere to run on the isle and she wasn’t about to abandon the group just yet. She wasn’t confident a boat could outrun wind, let alone colorful, magical wind, either.
word count: 420
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”