Return to Work.

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2080
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Return to Work.

24th Ashan, 718

"If I've forgotten how to teach," she said, slipping her arm around his waist as they walked towards the University building, "I will have to resign. Or employ a stand in. That might work." Since the birth of the children, Faith had developed a phenomenal lack of concern about public displays of affection. As she pointed out, it felt rather foolish worrying that people saw her with her arm around her husband when, sixty four trials before she'd given birth in the middle of the broad daylight and with quite the crowd. Of course, they'd been in a toppled over carriage, but still. Just in case, though, she glanced up at him to check that he was happy walking into work with his wife clinging to him.

Having gone in to meet the Dean on the 2nd, Kristoff Manyon had told her that she was not to come back to work until, well, this trial. She had one class to teach and then he'd told her she was to go home. Her next class after this one wasn't for three trials and he was insistent that she had a slow, measured return to work. Faith was incredibly grateful for that and she was determined to do the return well, not to let Dean Manyon down, but she found in incredibly difficult to leave the children. Most seriously, she considered, "If I'm like this now, Padraig, what am I going to be like when one of them leaves home, or gets married. Oh. Oh, no, well they can't do that. I shan't allow it." She shook her head and that was that, "there is no one good enough for either one of them and they will simply have to stay at home all their lives where I can see them." She gave a sudden grin as she recognised just how ridiculous she was being. A few trials ago she'd descended into as close to a panic as Faith ever got at the thought of them learning to walk. What, she had asked him entirely seriously, would she do when they no longer stayed where she put them?

With a glance to him, Faith smiled. "Thank you for coming in so early," she said. The Ashan dawn hadn't long since happened and they were nearly at the University building. "I don't need to be at my desk for a while. Can I come to your office? Sort of sneak up on the place, slowly?" As they made their way in, the place was more or less deserted, and they got to walk down the corridor together to nothing but the sound of their feet tapping against the floor. Just as they got to his door, they both heard at the same moment, the same sound. A low, muffled moan from in his office.

"Padraig?" Faith said, but need say no more as she saw his face. When he opened the door, Faith stayed behind him as much because she knew that he'd want her to as she felt she needed to, but it opened to reveal a wreck. His room was ruined, books scattered, equipment flung over the place and there, underneath a pile of books and a toppled over bookshelf, which had obviously been dropped on her after whoever did this had tied her up, was the very battered form of Esme Dashiell, barely conscious and groaning. She looked at him and her face was barely recognizable, it was so swollen and bruised, and she mumbled through blood caked lips. "It's good to see you get to work early, Professor. A little assistance?"
word count: 633
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Padraig
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 939
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Return to Work.

"You're a natural. Natural's never forget," Padraig reassured Faith quietly and with a smile as he opened the doors and ushered her in ahead of him. "Just think back and remember how much you taught me from the very start, first we met?" Remembering the very first time he'd seen her outside the door of his small home back in Rynmere, he recalled with a grin how he'd ignorantly returned her curtsy with a bow of his own. A member of high society, he'd never have been.

Her students will have missed her, he added, more than happy for Faith to be on his arm as they strolled into the building. Immediately the smile was replaced by a curious frown once he glanced around them. "Are we early or is everyone else late?" he asked. Strangely the open atrium wasn't buzzing with activity like it usually was in the early morning. Over at the reception desk, prospective new students were lined up three deep and yet, nobody was behind the desk. One of the professors, a man from the physics department was quietly reading in the corner. Strange, he thought before he and Faith headed for the stairs.

"I think when one of them finally leaves home," he teased her, "you'll try secreting yourself away in their traveling bags." A stowaway, he meant as they reached the floor where his office was. And yet again, the hall was empty where it might not have usually been. "You'd think people are still hibernating for the winter." Where else would he be when she thanked him for being there? Still, early it might be, but the place seemed far more deserted than usual. And just when he reached into his pocket to pull out the keys to his office, they heard it. Padraig realized then that not only was his door not locked, it was also ajar.

Glancing at Faith, he sat his bag down in the hall and prepared to draw his sword if necessary while pushing the door open wider. What he saw caused a wave of tension from head to toe. The place was a wreck. But that wasn't all and hearing the moans, he stepped inside and began searching for the source. "Professor Dashiell," he exclaimed when he saw her and immediately began clearing the clutter off her, starting with the heavy bookcase that he'd lift back up on its end before kneeling beside the woman.

"What happened here?" he asked, then glanced back towards Faith, "She's banged up pretty good." She'd stayed late the previous night, Esme told them. Looking at the stars, doing research and so on. She couldn't quite get past the feeling that there was somebody there though, watching, wandering the halls. But she'd decided it was her imagination. There was a chart she wanted that she recalled being in Padraig's office, and he'd once given her the key just in case just such a scenario arose. So she'd been there, here in his office when she was attacked by two, maybe three people she hadn't seen before. Dark clothing. Masks. But of the three, she said, at least one of them was a woman.
word count: 549
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Return to Work.

"I do believe you're confused, Professor Augustin," she replied, teasingly. "You were the tutor and taught me many things. Mathematics being the very least of them." Squeezing his arm, Faith smiled and considered. "The first time I tasted something not made by myself or another slave was the cup of tea you made. By bringing you food I had made, against Tristan's orders, you taught me that I could be defiant in service to what is right. I know he was paying you, but I had to show you how grateful I was." She looked at him and her grin was teasing, but her point was serious. "You taught me that I could get irritated with a free man for thinking that I chose to wear those shoes and that I could panic, absolutely panic at the thought that you'd been hurt that trial they broke into your house." Briefly, she leaned her head against his shoulder and then she smiled. "Then, in a forest, you taught me that I have worth. I would say, all things considered, I did very little in the way of teaching, and a lot more in the manner of learning, wouldn't you?"

It seemed quiet here, Faith thought and Padraig questioned whether they were early or everyone else late. That must be it, she answered, they had left early due to her tendency to fuss about not being late. Since he'd come back to work after the babies, she pointed out, he'd been more inclined to be running out of the door, chasing off to his first class in order to ensure that he wasn't late. Leaving at the last bit was an art form, she reassured him, and he was a master of it. She knew, in truth, that he'd just not wanted to leave her and their children, but still.

However, it was very quiet and Faith was moderately sure that it wasn't always like this. However, as they made their way together, she figured that it was just her, being out of practice, out of synch with the timings here these trials. Except, very quickly, it because apparent that it was not, as they walked into his office. "Professor!" Faith said and she moved, immediately and without thought to kneel at the biqaj woman's side. Esme Dashiell waved her away, "I'm fine, don't fuss," and Faith carried on grabbing things from her bag. "You most certainly are not fine, I am not fussing I am doing my job and you will lie still while I check you or I will be most put out."

There was just a moment where Professor Dashiell looked rather shocked, and then she glanced at Padraig and gave a slight smile, but she did not move. "As you say, doctor," Faith nodded, said no more and started working, kneeling next to her and examining her carefully and thoroughly. "What happened?" Padraig's wife had no idea what could have caused this, who could have done it or why and she looked at Padraig with a question in her gaze, before turning back to the injuries she was tending. She was very focused on Professor Dashiell's head and whilst it would be hard to spot for anyone else, Padraig knew her well enough to know that Faith was worried.

"I tried to dreamwalk," Esme said to him, wincing as Faith examined her. "But I think that the bump to my head which your wife is fussing around stopped me." Evidently, Professor Dashiell was a dreamwalker, then. "I was going to call on you and wake you up. I rather supposed that your life is strange enough that you would have believed me." She sighed as Faith put a cool compress on her head, and Faith glanced up at him. "There might be others," she said and Esme looked at him, trying to nod but not quite managing it. "I'm fine, go."

"Here," Faith shrugged off her coat, wrapped it up and rested professor Dashiell's head against it. "Stay here, please?" The older Biqaj woman raised an eyebrow and managed as close to caustic as she could. "I wouldn't dare do anything else." Faith grinned at her. "Good. We'll be back soon." She looked up at Padraig and waited for him to take the lead, as she knew he would want to.
word count: 748

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Return to Work.

When Faith reminded him of how much he'd taught her since they'd met, Padraig was tempted to argue that he hadn't taught her a thing that she didn't already know. It was only that the time hadn't yet arrived when she realize and acknowledge it. But it would only lead to a circular debate and so he'd smiled and dipped his head in a sort of agreeable way as they'd approached his office. "I think we'll just have to agree that we've each learned a great deal from each other, that we might never have done on our own."

If there was any room for argument though, it was forgotten once he'd spied his professor trapped underneath the bookcases, and seen how injured she truly was. She was fine and no one should fuss? She wasn't fine, but Padraig wasn't the least surprised when she objected to Faith fussing over her. As for him, however he was needed, he was there to lend a hand. "I would have believed, yes," he was quick to reassure her when she mentioned her ability to dreamwalk. It raised an important question however. "When did this happen? How long have you been here?"

But there were others apparently, so surely this had occurred sometime around midnight or the earliest of morning hours. They'd need to find them though and see if they were alright. Assured that Esme would stay put, just where she was, Padraig stood up and ducked back out into the hallway with Faith. Meanwhile, other staff and students were beginning to trickle in for the trial downstairs. It was going to require going room to room, lab to lab in order to find anyone else who'd been attacked. Slow going, no denying it.

On the floor where his office was located, there was no one. Esme must have been followed unless the perpetrators were simply choosing their victims as they stumbled across them. but on the floor below there were a number of labs and workrooms. Engineering, cartography, and so on. It was in the first of those labs where they discovered a wreck, comprised of smashed equipment, shattered glass pots and vials. And a upper level student crumpled in a far corner. One who presumably had stayed late the night before, working on some project or other.
word count: 401
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Return to Work.

"That sounds entirely like a perfectly balanced equation of happy, and thus I concur." Faith had said, teasing and yet serious as they'd been walking in. But there was no time for anything other than focus once they saw and realised what had happened. Professor Dashiell was far from an easy patient, but Faith had met worse in her time and she didn't really bat an eyelid at the Professor's insistence that she was alright. Because she wasn't. Once they'd ascertained the time of the attack and Faith's eyebrow had raised at the thought of Esme being a dreamwalker, a most unscientific endeavor if ever she had heard of it, she nodded to Padraig that they could go. Once they got outside, she glanced at him "She has a low grade concussion. I don't want to leave her alone for too long." But she would be fine, Faith said, there wasn't a worry, it was just always best to take care with head injuries.

And so, they made their way room to room and for a brief moment Faith started to think that maybe this had just been a single attack, but as they entered the lab on the floor below where Padraig's office was, as well as her own, it was apparent that it was not. "We don't know how many of these have occurred. There could be people laying injured all over campus." Faith didn't hesitate to scramble over the tipped over furniture. "I really think you should raise the alarm. Lock down the university, no one else enters or leaves." She frowned, thinking it through. "Get everyone to ..." She stopped and glanced at him, then, just for a trill and she looked vaguely embarrassed. "Do you think? I do declare I might have become bossy. I blame the pregnancy and that was your fault," she said, apparently deadpan as she knelt next to the woman. "Alright, let's have a ..."

She stopped what she was saying, which was never a good sign and that was as true now as ever. There was a lot of blood. A lot of it. The student in question was pale and Faith switched into the sort of calm which meant that she was in a panic. "If there are people like this, then there are people dying. Padraig, the people that did this are long gone, but there are people hurt. We need to get more medics here. The medical staff, students. I can't leave her." As she spoke, even as she looked at him, Faith was working on the student crumpled there. "Can you?" She had to stay here, to help this one woman because she was all that Faith knew. However, there might be a dozen others out there, she knew. If she went looking, then they could all die. So, earnest silver eyes turned to her husband to solve the bigger picture while she tried to save this life. Just the one, but then, one at a time was all she could do.
word count: 524

~ Rharne HQ
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Return to Work.

"First chance I get I'll send someone to stay with her," Padraig told Faith as the two of them headed off down the hallway. True, the professor shouldn't be left alone. But if it was true that there'd been others who'd been attacked, it was critical that someone get to them as well. As it turned out, it didn't take long to find another. And certainly there'd be more.

A number of his own students had a habit of staying late into the night, doing research or fiddling around in one of the labs, he told Faith as he upended equipment and chairs that had been thrown or toppled over, in order to clear a path for her. Which meant of course that they might find several more injured individuals on this floor alone. Faith was being bossy and under different circumstances he might have teased her about it. But in spite of having an analytical mind, a focused disposition, a scientific curiosity, Padraig did not like the sight of blood and he wasn't a medic. He'd be very little help if he stayed.

"I'll go," he told her once he made sure she had what she needed just then. Then out in the hall he grabbed the first student that passed by. "Professor Dashiell is in my office, injured. Go and stay with her," he said. Don't move her, don't meddle with her, he warned. Just stay and make sure she didn't try to get up or move about too much. And the next student was sent off to find medics, medical students and instructed that they should bring supplies with them. Another trio was grabbed and given instructions for a methodical search for the injured. And then lastly, he headed down the stairs to find security, to tell them to shut the place down.
word count: 318
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Return to Work.

About five breaks later.
"Padraig!" Faith moved with renewed enthusiasm as she saw her husband there, it was mere trill after she'd spoken that she had her arms around his waist. "Are you alright?" They'd seen each other, here and there over the last few breaks, but people had been just too busy to stop. Now, however, they were waiting to be questioned and then they would be able to go home. Faith's clothes were covered in blood, not to mention some others liquids which were more difficult to recognise, but it was dried on.

Once Padraig had raised the alarm, things had kicked up a notch in terms of busy. Medical staff and students held things until the Order of the Adunih arrived, the Elements locked down the building and for a good three breaks, those staff not trained in medicine were asked to fetch this, carry that, take this table here. The injured had to stay here and so, the place became a field hospital. Half a break after he'd gone to get help, Faith had come out of the room where the student had been, with the young woman, who was absolutely fine and Faith looked at him with a slight, mirthless, rather tired smile but she said nothing. Not then.

Because then, she'd needed to move on to the next one. There were, all told, just over a dozen injured staff and students, not including the two they already knew about. There were some very unpleasant injuries, too. All of the victims were female and they had been beaten, some to literally within an inch of their lives, and then bound and abandoned.

The University wanted their own people to investigate and the Chancellor asked Padraig to find out what he could. Faith, meanwhile was the only one of those present with the blessing of Moseke and therefore the ability to actually heal, although there were some very talented medics there. Still, that meant that, by the time she wrapped her arms around him, she was exhausted and swaying slightly where she stood. "Everyone's going to be alright. More or less." She explained that it seemed that one of the attackers, at least, had a penchant for face-kicking and there were a number of injuries involving broken cheeks and jaws, lost teeth and damaged mouths. They were tricky and he knew her too well to doubt anything other than she had used her mark abilities more than she should; which left her the kind of shaking tired with a thumping headache that she was.

As they sat down, Faith rested her head against his shoulder. "What did you find?" she asked. After he'd answered, she looked at him and said, entirely seriously. "You see? I told you that it might be necessary for all of that preparation I did at home. I was insightful," she smiled at him, tiredness evident on her face but she was pleased, happy to have been able to help. "Not at all a crazy person behaving like a prophet of doom who just happened to be right once in a blue moon."

When they got called in, she let him answer the questions about what they'd found and how they'd found it, just supplying details if he forgot them or left them out. Because, at that point, she just wanted to get home. Maybe tomorrow, she thought, her second trial at work, she'd make it to her office.
word count: 595

~ Rharne HQ
Padraig
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Return to Work.

Five breaks had passed since they found professor Dashiell beaten and trapped beneath the toppled bookshelf in his office. Time had flown past since then, but not in a good way. Padraig had a few bloodstains here and there on his clothing. But the blood wasn't his own. Once he'd raised the alarm and the halls of university had become a beehive of activity, it had also become one of worry. The students and staff that had been compelled to remain by the Elements were tense, as were those who'd gathered outside, wondering what had become of people inside that they personally knew. But if you were in, according to the Elements, you were in. And if you were out, unless you were a healer or a relevant city official, you stayed out.

There were more victims than he'd at first thought there might be, and he'd instructed those who were doing the searching to pin a ribbon to the door of each room where they'd been found, in order to make the work of Elements and medics more efficient. It ought not be more confusion in the mix, just trying to find them or keep track of where they were. It wasn't unusual that there'd be any number of staff or students staying into the night to work or do research. It was only that they were all women that struck him.

He'd tried to do as the Chancellor asked, best as he could. But there just wasn't much to discover that that Esme hadn't told them already. There'd been three, maybe four according to some accounts. One of the victims who'd been fairly lucky compared to the others, had said that she'd smelled something. Something on the attackers clothes maybe. The best description she could come up with was smoked fish. The cheap stuff, she'd said.

Another student who'd been outdoors in the crowd of onlookers had told him that he'd been working in a lab that night, and as he'd left the building and let the door swing shut behind him, one that should have locked on its own when it did, he thought he'd heard something behind him. But when he turned back, he distinctly heard the door lock into place, so hadn't thought anything of it. Was that how they'd gotten in, Padraig wondered, and reported his theory to the Elements. "They must have been waiting in the shadows outdoors," he told Faith when they were reunited at the end, waiting to be questioned.

Perhaps they'd been waiting in the shadows for someone to walk out, and then slipped in before the doors clicked shut again and locked tight. "Not much else, unfortunately," he told Faith, seated beside her while waiting their turn to be questioned. "Except that when I went back to my office and turned the bookshelf back up and sorted some of my equipment, I found a chain style necklace near where the professor had fallen. The chain was heavy, more like a man would wear than a woman and there was crude charm on it with a stylized letter D. I asked her if it might be hers but she said it wasn't." She had said then, that while she'd forgotten until he showed her, that during the struggle she'd grabbed something that felt like it might have been a chain. "She even showed me the mark on her hand where she'd grabbed it."

Was it any help? He didn't know but surely it had belonged to one of the attackers. Once they'd been called in for questioning, Padraig shared all that he'd learned with the authorities. And hopefully they were closer to discovering who'd done this than before they'd started. At least, he concluded, no one had died. But it should never have happened regardless. And the why of it was probably far from being answered. Still, once they were allowed to leave, Padraig was more than ready to see Faith home safely, back to their children.
word count: 698
Juniper
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Adventurer
Renown: 10
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Return to Work.

Now Let's See
What Comes Out Of It!

"Helping others is the way we help ourselves"
~Oprah Winfrey~
[/b]
Faith & Padraig

Pre-Review Checklist:
Requirements* or X Comments
Faith----
Approved Character * Yep
Updated Thread List for Previous Season * Dang gurl! Been quite busy!
Updated Skill Point Ledger (Raw, Adjusted,Tread Earned)*** Nice and Neat!
Updated Purse (Seasonal Expense, Wage, Thread Deductions)*** Holy Rich Girl!
Updated Renown Ledger & thread table**We all know you.. Good to know!
Padraig----
Approved Character * Good!
Updated Thread List for Previous Season * Looks Good!
Updated Skill Point Ledger (Raw, Adjusted,Tread Earned)*** Good!
Updated Purse (Seasonal Expense, Wage, Thread Deductions)***Maybe a note somewhere stating that you didn't work Cylus 718, other than that perfect.
Updated Renown Ledger & thread table* Keep going! you'll Catch up to your darling some day!
Review Checklist:
RequirementsFulfilmentComment+
Solo/CollabCollab--
Faith----
How many posts 4 9 knowledges allowed
How many requested 1 8 knowledges unclaimed
Are all posts greater than 250 words? Yes --
Is the thread greater than 1500 words? Yes --
Knowledges Appropriate? Yes if you have any questions/requests for more let me know in a pm
Loot Appropriate?yes--
Renown Appropriate?yes--
Injuries Appropriate?yes--
Padraig----
How many posts 4 9 knowledges
How many requested 8 1 knowledge unclaimed
Are all posts greater than 250 words? Yes --
Is the thread greater than 1500 words? yes --
Knowledges Appropriate? Yes if you have any questions/requests for more, let me know!
Loot Appropriate?Yes--
Renown Appropriate?If awardedCheck your Loot Tab
Injuries Appropriate?Yes--
Reviewer's Overview

I almost wished that this thread had been a lot longer! But at the same time you gave just enough details that it wasn't as if too little was there, I just was left with wanting more! Only because I didn't really know what was going on. Though, neither did your character's, they just chugged right along and worked hard at what they were best at to try and take control of the situation! I'm glad to see that you're leaving the plot kind of open ended allowing for other's to kind of speculate on if this was supposed to be a random attack or maybe it had a greater purpose! I hope to see more from this plot in the near future! Both of you did a wonderful job!

Faith

Loot

Exp-15
Renown-Max Cannot Reward
Injuries- none
Loot-None

Skill Knowledges

Medicine: Dealing with multiple causalities in a spread out area

Non-Skill Knowledges

None Requested
Padraig

Loot

Exp- 15
Renown- 10 Setting up of a temporary field Hospital/search and Rescue
Injuries- None
Loot - none

Skill Knowledges

Investigation: Asking pertinent questions
Investigation: Looking for clues in the environment
Investigation: Physical evidence can invoke memory
Leadership: Taking charge of organising a search for injured
Leadership: Instructing scared people what to do
Leadership: Devising a means to inform others of vital information
Strength: Lifting heavy shelves.
Strength: Clearing heavy items from injured people.

Non-Skill Knowledges

None Requested
Please add this stamp onto your request to help show that it has been reviewed!
Juniper

Code: Select all

[center][img]http://standingtrials.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7932[/img][font size=85]Juniper[/font][/center]
word count: 622
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”