[Krome] Shattered

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Pegasus, Basilisk, Plague

Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

[Krome] Shattered

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:12 am

Shattered

29th of Cylus, Arc 718
Velaine had waited. Waited for him to come back to her. He said he needed time and so that’s what she gave him. Each trial she would stand on her balcony for bells, expecting a carriage with a bear sigil to come riding in to reveal the man she had fallen for. And each trial that he didn’t come was another cut across her heart. The young woman had told herself that she would not let anyone have such power over her, yet she had given them willingly to him.

It was foolish. She was torturing herself. She knew that he would not return, that he couldn’t accept her what she was. Yet, she still hoped. Still clung to that promise he had uttered to her all that time ago: You have my sarding word that I will come back to you Velaine. Always. I will not leave the woman I love alone. Ever. The words had replayed a million times in her head as she prayed to whatever gods that might here. That they would allow this one small happiness. This one miracle in her life.

The young woman knew better, but she had fooled herself into thinking that her love would be enough for him to accept her. Her being a mage… It hadn’t fit his image for her. So, he left. And he wasn’t coming back. She needed to accept that.

Her grief had went on for far too long. Every time she woke in the morning, she would feel her pillow damp with tears. Velaine would have to rise earlier than the rest of her family, ordering a servant to bring her ice so that the swelling of her eyes could lessen before she started her day. Every time she opened her eyes, her body still ached for her lover’s warmth and then she was reminded allover again of her loss. Then there was the scroll. The young woman wrote to him every trial. But there was never any reply. Not once.

Falling in love… Never again.

Still, one would be hard-pressed to find any sign of sorrow in the Lady of Krome once she exited her room. Her smile was as vibrant as usual, her blue eyes darker than expected, but glistened with a cheery light nevertheless. It was easier to pretend – she was a master in faking emotions, after all. Velaine still needed to keep up appearances. As far as everyone knew, there was no hitch in her betrothal. The loving pair was merely separated because of business in their own respective baronies. It wasn’t uncommon for couples not to see each other for a long time when they came from different houses.

The Krome’s mood was already foul enough and it soured even more when a servant knocked on her study to announce that the Order of Mantis was coming in at noon. She had never heard such plans. Apparently, they had contacted her father previously, arranging a metting. Unsurprisingly, Jersey Krome was having one of his breakdowns that trial and refused to see anyone as he huddled in his bedroom guarded by a dozen of guards.

That meant Velaine would have to cover for him. Again.
Last edited by Velaine Krome on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

Shattered

Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm

There were five men. Five Ashcloaks striding into Cairnroch with their somber cloaks and their symbol proudly carved into their armor. Their heads were held high and their steps echoed through the room. They moved as if they owned the place. They might as well did. Their eyes scanned every inch of her great hall. The king had decreed that the Mantis shall have support from the nobility and citizens alike.

It was not a choice. She was supposed to let this men ride around her home and burn her people alive on stakes. Innocent people. Velaine could hear it, that woman’s scream as the flames consumed her flesh. It was one of the worst deaths and she doubted the mage deserved it. After all, apparently it didn’t matter what you did

Velaine shook away those thoughts. It would be easier to smile and play nice when she wasn’t thinking about all the atrocities they did and will do.

“Nervous, my lady?” Drako teased as he took walked over to where she was standing. There were trials that Drako would seem like a flirtatious playboy, and then there were trials that he would embody the astounding warrior that he was. This time it was certainly the latter. The man was dressed in his best armor, an effort to show that Krome’s military might was as strong as ever – despite their troubles with economy.

“About letting a bunch of strangers go into my barony and murder a few of my people? No, not at all.” The sarcasm in her voice was undeniably thick, coupled with a careless shrug that certainly didn’t reflect what she was feeling.

Another voice cleared his throat. Ardan. He was dressed formally even though she knew he hated the stiff collar. His graying hair was already swept back neatly. “Stop it, you two! Now is not the time to fool around. We’ll have to greet our guest. My lady?” The older man gestured at her to lead the way, which she did.

The Chancellor and Marshal of Ragaeire trailed behind her as she walked right up to the mage hunters, arms open in a welcoming gesture and her face decorated by a graceful smile. If she was smarter, she would probably feel some fear of getting found out. But Velaine found herself feeling numb. If anything, there was only the heat of anger slowly sizzling inside her chest. “Welcome to Ragaeire, good sirs. I trust your journey here is most pleasant?”

The Mantises stopped in their tracks and bowed in unison. A man stepped forward, seemingly larger than the rest of them. She couldn’t tell if it was her imagination or not, but the man certainly had a cruel glint in his brown eyes. “Lady Titania Krome, how gracious it is for you to greet us.”

Velaine gave the man a perfectly executed curtsy, never mind that they were commoners and she was a noble. “It is the least I can do, sir. I would have to personally apologize for my father’s absence. I am sure you have heard that our duchy is going through some turbulent times and he had other matters to attend to.”

“Ah no matter. I am Captain Detective Thierry Boudier and these are my men. We are simply here to introduce ourselves and we won’t take much of your time.” The man looked her up and down, clearly wasn’t pleased that he was stuck dealing with a young woman. “We are mostly self-sufficient, however we wish for your assistance in building a platform just outside your town and wood for any pyre we might need.”

Oh how tempted she was to say an outright denial. No, she would not let him make a place to show off their kills to her people. No, she would not help them to murder others in any way. No, they could not stay here and she better not see any other Mantises stepping onto her land.

“Of course, we are always happy to serve the Crown. I could spare a few men, but probably not as much as you might expect. You see, most of them are assigned to hunt and gather what they can from the forests. I can’t let my people starve, you see. As for wood… I’m sure you have heard that our forests are sacred, protected by the wisps, we rarely cut them down, much less use them for…” She let her voice drift away, looking like the nervous noblewoman who couldn’t talk about gruesome things. “I do hope you understand.”

The mage hunter gave her a hardened stare, but Velaine kept the pleading look on her face. She was merely a lady who was trapped in a tight spot, after all. Torn between taking care of her people and serving the Crown.

Much to her delight, Thierry relented. “Of course, my lady. I understand we have come at an inconvenient time and we would appreciate any assistance you might offer us.”

With a grin that could light up the whole room, the young woman nodded in acknowledgement. “Thank you for your understanding, sir. You are far too kind. I trust you can discuss the rest with my chancellor? I am afraid I have somewhere else to be.”

She didn’t wait for their reply. Simply smiled at the rest of the men and turned on her heels. She wasn’t sure if she could play the gracious host a tic longer. Not when she knew that the moment they knew the truth about her, these men would not hesitate to end her life.

“Masterfully handled, Velaine,” Drako offered as he followed her. Ardan had instructed them earlier to let him discuss the details with the Mantises alone, considering that the marshal had a fairly loose grip on his temper. The last thing they needed for the Order to report to the king that the Kromes weren’t cooperating.

The young woman sighed out loud once they left the hall. Their conversation had barely ended and Velaine could already feel a headache slowly pounding in her brain. “Hardly. There’s nothing I can do to stop them and I hate it. Their presence here will make things worst for us. Our people are already terrified enough by the food shortages, now they have to worry about being hunted down? I’ve seen what the hysteria can do. People will start accusing friends and neighbors in no time. We can’t afford such a chaos, not with the limited resources we have.”

“Leave that to me. I promise I’ll make sure our town didn’t explode into riots while they’re here.”

Velaine could only laugh mirthlessly. “You better. And keep an eye on them, Drako. I don’t trust them.”

The marshal bowed playfully and grinned. “As you wish, my lady.”

“Now, I need some fresh air. Just tell Ardan I am shopping or some sort. And that I’ll want a full report on what they talked about once I returned.”
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

[Krome] Shattered

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:11 am

Once the young lady had changed into more common clothing, she pulled the hood of her cloak up to hide her face and walked out of the city. Velaine should have a few bells before Ardan started looking for her to talk about their next steps. Most noblewoman would find dealing with the details of running a barony overwhelming, but Velaine welcomed the drowning dullness of work. It distracted her from the throbbing loss of her love.

What she was planning to do next was another form of distraction. Albeit, a much riskier one.

The lady of Krome ventured out of Cairnroch unnoticed, regarded as merely another traveler. As soon as the woods greeted her, Velaine found herself taking a deep breath and loosening her tense muscles. Here in the forest, she would be safe. The land protected the people of Krome, that much she knew. There was no hesitation in her steps as she delved deeper into the wilderness. She knew where she was going.

It was a small glade, cut in the middle by a small creek with rushing water. She used to play here with her siblings – no one else seemed to be aware of its existence. These days, the young woman used it as a meeting location with Elrik. Seeing each other in town was too risky, anyone would be able to recognize her and recall that she was with an unknown man. Rumours would spread into an uncontrollable tide she did not want to deal with.

The place was empty. It seemed like she was early. Velaine decided to sit atop a boulder sitting next to the creek and took off her shoes so that her toes could glide over the watery surface. It was cool, but she liked it anyway.

Letting her hand hover over the small river, the Krome felt ether tingling in her blood as she urged the water to rise. The water greeted her call eagerly. A serpentine stream of water rose easily, twisting and spiraling according to the movements of her hand. While it wasn’t really needed, Velaine had always found directing the elements with her limbs made it somewhat more precise. It rose and rose until it touched her outstretched finger.

“You’re getting better.”

Velaine jumped at the sound of the familiar and saw that Elrik had arrived. She hadn’t hear him coming. Shite, she should have paid better attention to her surroundings. Anyone could have come to the glade and saw what she was doing.

The handsome man walked toward her, clad in a dark shirt and dark trousers. It reminded her of the clothes he used to wear back in their house in Ne’haer. Elrik sighed as he approached, his eyes glittering with concern. He scrutinized her face as he stood beside the boulder. “You’ve been crying again, haven’t you?”

“No, I haven’t.” A blatant lie, one she would hold on to for dear life. Elrik had been far too kind ever since he found out what happened. He didn’t need to know that she was still crying over a man. A man she had chosen over him. Who left her while he still stuck by her side even after all these arcs. “But I am upset. Really upset.”

“What’s wrong?”

Leaping onto the ground in front of him, Velaine willed him to look at her in his eyes. “The Mantises are here. They’ll start looking for mages soon.” She gripped the man’s shirt, looking up at him. Elrik would easily see the fear and worry painted allover her face. She couldn’t lose him too, not now, not like this. “You have to go, Elrik. Please. You need to leave.”

His hand glided down the side of her arm lightly, before wrapping around her wrist. “Only if you come with me.”

It was her turn to sigh. They were both just as stubborn as the other. She could leave. After all, there was nothing tying her to this place. It was still her home, though. She grew up here. She knew these forests more than anything else in her life. “Come on, we didn’t come here to–”

Velaine stopped as she heard the rustling to her left. The noise was frantic, loud. Someone was heading towards them. Before either of them could react, a boy broke through the bushes and into the glade. A copper-haired boy with fearful, angry eyes.
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

RP Medals

[Krome] Shattered

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:11 am

The boy looked between them for a tic, his entire body tensing for a fight. She expected the boy to lunge at them, or perhaps to continue running. But neither of those thing happened. A purple, crackling sphere began materializing in front of him, something she had never seen before. She could tell there was something wrong about it. Something off.

It flew at them. Velaine was too surprised to react, but Elrik was quicker. He tackled her to the ground as the sphere flew over their head. She couldn’t tell what was happening, but the tree behind exploded with a loud tearing sound into a million splinters. The sphere returned to the boy as he turned to look at them on the ground. Velaine could see his face twitching as geared for another attack.

He was using ether. He was a mage. And for some reason, he was determined to hurt them.

A jet of water shot out from the stream, hitting the boy square in the face. Elrik. It surprised him, caused him to stumble as he struggled to get away. The sphere seemed to fade away as the boy slowly lost his concentration.

Velaine jumped to her feet, her heart thundering like never before as adrenaline shot through her vein. Her spark roared to life as it recognized the danger, the elements seemingly buzzing around her with the intent to help her. The air answered her call and a strong gush of wind lashed at the boy, throwing him back and onto the ground.

“Stop!” the young woman tried to shout out. “Why are you attacking us?!”

The spheres materialized again, seemingly larger than before. The boy didn’t seem to hear her, or at least refused to. He was just going to attack again. Velaine… to say that she had no idea what she was doing was understatement. She had never really used her magic to defend herself, much less fight someone. Not that she was given much choice right now.

Fortunately, the elements seemed more than happy to help her. The earth hummed beneath her feet, as if offering a hand. Her spark reached, for that outstretched hand and called upon the ground in front of her. A wall of dirt rose swiftly between her and the young man as the sphere flew at her. The wall exploded in front of her, shooting debris into the air. Without thinking, Velaine made the chunks of earth fly towards the boy.

In the corner of her eyes, she saw Elrik charging towards the boy, taking the opportunity while he was distracted. He tackled him to the ground, a stone already in his hand. With the sickening thump of rock against skull, the boy went slack, his eyes rolling into the back of his head.

Elrik turned to look at her, breathing hard and still crouched over their unconscious attacker. “We need to talk to him.”

Return to “Andaris”