A Little Girl With Great Big Plans

30th of Cylus 718

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1749
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

30th Cylus, 718
She was angry. Vega recognised it, understood it for what it was and she accepted it. It was better, she knew. Better than what she'd been just the trial before. Then, she'd been resigned and fearful, uncertain of herself or what she thought or felt. To-trial, she was sure what she felt and she felt angry. She looked up at Huw who sat on a chair next to the bed where she was and she frowned. "I think you're makin' up the rules as you go, you know," she said and she dropped the playing cards she had in her hand back on to the bed, giving up. He grinned and shook his head. "You know that isn't true, don't you? I am winning, Eva, because you are not focused." She quirked an eyebrow at him. "Really? You surprise me. I mean, what 'ave I got to be focusin' on, other than you an' yer stupid card game."

Huw shrugged. "I suppose you spend most of your time focusing on yourself. That is fair all things considered, but it does not suit you, Eva." Vega looked like she might explode at him, but instead she asked in a very calm voice. "You know, all of our childhood, you refused to call me Eva. Said it was my biqaj name. Now, you call me it all the time. Wot changed?" Huw smiled, "you did, Eva. You became a biqaj. You left, you followed your path and stopped trying to be someone else. U'frek's children are not beholden, they make choices. Your blood has always been silver, but now your heart is too."

"Yer well weird, Huw, you know that, right?"

The slight inclination of his head was all she got in response. "You used to be better at Stars," he said and Vega shrugged. "I haven't played it fer a long time, Huw, an' I really don't remember it that well." He nodded. "I will teach you. But Uncle is out buying some things for you. The coming trials will be hard for you. Even as a baby, when Uncle first brought you home, you have never enjoyed being still." Vega couldn't deny that and she shot him a grin, but then spoke a more serious point. "No one needs to be buyin' nothin'. Arlo will make sure stuff like that is taken care of. I was gonna talk to 'im about it." Huw smiled. "Arlo and Uncle are together." Vega raised an eyebrow and then sighed. "Ten gold nels says Papa is makin' sure he's alright, Arlo is tryin' really 'ard not to talk about it an' still be polite an' the pair of them are jus' bein' really awkward?" Huw considered it, apparently weighing up the options and he grinned. "No bet."

Vega smiled and considered the likely conversation between the two. Arlo and her father got on well and they were united in an understand of just how much the other one loved her. Also, she rather suspected, they were united in a mutual understanding of how hard to live with she was. Was it bad that she was alright with that, Vega wondered, but then it was what it was.

"Alright, then, I'm gonna win this round," she said, and Huw gave her a challenging grin. "Not if I have anything to say about it. Your deal."

Vega shuffled the deck of cards and then dealt them out. Huw sat back, half closing his eyes but he watched her. He was pleased, the shaking in her hands had stopped, her movements were more forceful and precise than they had been just the trial before. That was good. "Done," she said, although he knew that and with a smile he leaned forward and picked up the hand he had been dealt.

And while they waited for Eva to do the same, he played cards with her.

647 words
Last edited by Vega on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 666

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

30th Cylus, 718
He'd won, of course, and Vega had grinned and snarled at the same time, although both were in good fun. Huw looked at her and smiled. "You look tired, Eva. Would you like to try and rest?" She sighed, shaking her head. "I'm fine," and she was quite prepared to fight him when he spoke again. "That is a shame. When you are tired, you should sleep because your body is telling you it needs it. It will help you heal. Stubborn will not help you in this battle, Eva. Tactics will. You are injured, right now and you need to do everything you can to make your recovery speedy and efficient."

Vega sighed and looked at him with a strange swirling mass of colour in her eyes. "I gotta fight, but not like this. I think mostly, I've gotta fight myself, Huw. You know?" He smiled and reached forward, putting a piece of her hair behind her ear. "Isn't that who you've spent your life fighting, Eva? You've overcome that. In comparison, this will be easy." Vega looked at him and wondered, but she knew that he was right. "I know. I am tired, Huw. Will you..thanks." She was about to ask him if he'd help her get settled, but he already was. He held one arm out for her to hold on to as he arranged the pillows behind her and as she settled down and relaxed, she looked at him in surprise. "Aren't you leavin'?" He shook his head and smiled at her. "You dream less when there is someone with you. I will read."

Vega wanted to argue with him, she turned to open her mouth to do it and he looked at her. His gaze was calm, non confrontational and yet, completely not pulling any punches. "If you have bad dreams, you thrash. This is bad, and it could hurt you. I will read and you are less likely to have bad dreams. Sleep, Eva. I will be here. If I am not, Uncle or Arlo will be." Vega sighed slightly and relaxed back into the pillows.

It was hard to explain just how frustrated she was. The whole situation had happened because she'd messed around with the Death Forged Rose and she knew how hard that had been on him, now this. What Arlo had seen, what he was going through now made Vega want to scream. Because she was the cause of it, her own choices impacting them both and forcing them both to this place. Yet, she knew without a doubt that he would be with her and that she would be with him. They would work it out, she did not doubt that but she knew that in order for that to happen, she had to let things go. Had to forgive herself in the way that he forgave her. Yet, one look into his eyes was enough for her not to be able to do that.

Still. It would come, in time.

Despite her protestations, Vega was asleep in moments and, once she had drifted off, the pain she was in showed on her face and she looked much more how she felt. Huw put the book in his lap down and looked at her with a deep frown on his face. Then, he turned his attention back to the pages open on his lap and he started to read, pleased to notice that, as he spoke, she smiled.

579 words
No knowledge
word count: 596

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

She woke with a start, the pain in her legs worsening as she did and Vega bit back a curse as she realised that her father was in the room with her. A deep frown creased her brow and she breathed in sharply, lowering herself back on to the pillows. "Hey, Papa. You an' Arlo are back?" It was an obvious question, but she just needed to buy herself a moment or two to breathe. "Yes, Eva. He's preparing some food." He looked at her and frowned. "I wish you would take the medicine for your pain. It hurts me to see you hurting like this." Vega shot him a glance which spoke volumes and Joq'an looked at her impassively. "Do you doubt it, Eva?" Vega let out a sharp bark of laughter as she shook her head. "No, Papa, it isn't that I doubt you, it's jus' that I think my shattered knee an' busted leg means I win in the 'who 'urts the most' competition. Which I'd dearly like to lose, to be 'onest." Her gaze on him told him of the level of pain she was in, as much by how she held herself, the tension in her shoulders and arms. "So, I'm sorry you're 'urtin', but it's not the best argument against me right now." Resting back, she breathed in and out and then she spoke. "How's Arlo?"

Joq'an looked at his daughter and he frowned. "And what would you expect of me, where he to ask how you were?" Vega bit back, without hesitation. "I'd expect you to be loyal to yer daughter an' not tell him. Why? Is that relevant." Joq'an shook his head, just slightly. "It is. He is Clan. I afford him the same as I would a son, because of his place by your side." Vega snorted and grumbled, not even opening her eyes to do so. "Thereby provin' what I always suspected, Papa. That you really wanted a boy an' he'd have been your favourite." Joq'an took a moment or two to consider her words and finally he let out an exasperated hiss. "You are so like your mother. Impossible."

"Magnificent?" Vega asked, her eyes not opening but her voice showing her amusement.
"Difficult," he responded.

"Spirited. Fascinatin' and compellin'?" Vega finished and Joq'an laughed, shaking his head. "So I believe young Arlo believes. I will stick with you simply being perfectly yourself. Now, some medicine for the pain?" Vega sighed. "I'll talk to Arlo about it. That's the best you're gettin'. We'll work it out together." In truth, Joq'an was delighted with that as an answer. When Eva was hurt, she had a tendency to construct defences around herself, to push others away. That she seemed to be getting past that part this quickly was very good news. Especially, he considered drily, for Arlo. "It will do," he said and Vega grinned. She had to admit, albeit only to herself, that it did hurt a lot and the thought of taking something for it might not be such a bad idea.

"We bought you some things, which we thought might help you to pass the time," Joq'an said and she raised an eyebrow at him. "I told Huw, Papa, I don't need that. I don't care about things, I can... ohh, what's that?" Joq'an chuckled as she turned eager eyes to him. "Do you know, when I look at you, you are still a little girl? I do not know how it is that my baby grew so much." Vega grinned at him and shook her head. "I dunno Papa, I really don't. Oh, look at these, these are great!" Looking up at him she smiled. He considered that he had not seen her smile properly since he had walked in here, yestertrial and this was no different. Still. At this point, a half smile was better than nothing.

"There's so much I wanna do, Papa." Vega said, suddenly, her hands stopping their movements over the box containing the artists kit. "I wanna see it all, you know. Climb up mountains an' swim in rivers. Learn to paint, to draw. An' I'm gonna do it all." Looking at his daughter, Joq'an did not doubt it, not for a moment. "I've got plans, you know? An' I'm gonna fight this, every bloody an' painful step of the way. We are, I know. I'm not gonna change my plans, an' that's that." Joq'an sighed at the earnest gaze of the little girl in front of him. His little girl with great big plans and he wished to U'frek that he could take the pain in her face away. Instead, he smiled and nodded. "I am pleased to hear it, Eva."

She looked at her father and she realised how much older he looked than he had. He had given up his own ship, to her twin cousins and less than an arc ago, he had lost his brother. Now, this. Vega reached out a hand and smiled. "I'll be a'right, Papa. I promise." She turned her attention then to the instruction books he had bought. "An' these will help me with learnin' new stuff, an' make my readin' better. Thank you, Papa. I appreciate it. Really." He smiled and kissed her forehead. "I'll leave you now, Arlo will be here in a moment, no doubt with food of some kind." Vega nodded and smiled. "Thank you, Papa," she said and she watched as her father walked out.

Off Topic
Deducted from ledger:
Artists kit: 19gn
Sewing Kit: 6gn
Fiddle: 45gn
Instruction Books x 3 30gn
Total = 100gn
915 words
Negotiation: My pain is worse than yours.
Persuasion: Putting forward a reasonable argument.
word count: 988

Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 959
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Name: Vega

Knowledge:
Gambling: Shuffling the pack
Gambling: Dealing
Gambling: Biqaj card game: Stars
Gambling: You need to practice to keep your skill
Negotiation: My pain is worse than yours.
Persuasion: Putting forward a reasonable argument

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A
Magic XP: N/A

- - -
Comments: This was a nice thread and well written. It’s so refreshing to see a PC whose father is alive and cares!

Can I just say that I love this particular PC of yours?

I hope that she’ll get better soon!

I had no idea that her name was Eva, by the way!
word count: 106
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”