Fair is Foul, and Foul is Fair

another goodbye.

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Basilisk, Plague, Pegasus

Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

RP Medals

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Fair is Foul, and Foul is Fair

28th of Cylus, Arc 718
It was perhaps already well in the afternoon when a knock shuddered through the door of her room. To be honest, it was rather difficult to tell with the constant darkness of Cylus.

There was nothing unusual when the lady of Krome opened the door to a young maid, relaying a message from her brother and sister-in-law. Duke and Duchess Andaris requested for your presence, my lady, and Lord Endor too. This certainly wasn’t the first time Xander and Celeste called for them. When the servant failed to tell her what the summons was about, her gut told her she knew exactly what this was going to be about. Velaine had mostly succeeded in pretending that she had never read the mysterious letter. The letter that spoke of her special talents. Unless it meant her uncanny ability to push people away, Velaine was convinced it referred to her magic.

Velaine slowly had the sickening belief that far too many people knew about what she was. Even when she had so painstakingly kept her mouth shut. She barely even used magic at all. Saints, at this rate, the entirety of Rynmere would know in a matter of seasons and she would find herself burnt at a stake.

To make it worse, Nate had not gave word to her. Not after their argument. Not after he found out what she really was.

No use in delaying the inevitable. Anxiety gnawed on her, itching to figure just how much Celeste and Xander knew. Not to mention big question as to why they wanted Jersey Krome dead. Her father was definitely an awful man, yet Velaine could not figure out why the Andaris would want vengeance. What happened whilst she was away?

With that, the lady of Krome let herself be led through the halls.

Velaine could not help but appreciate the architecture of Celeste’s estate, with its white stone walls and marble floors. Andaris’s taste for luxury was only rivaled by Venorans. It was rather difficult to think of it as Xander’s home too. Sometimes, she could only think of her brother as the boy who spent most of his time training with his swords in the forests of Krome – and not sitting around ruling a foreign land.

Even after nearly spending a whole season here, the young woman couldn’t help but feel the slightest bit out of place. Oh, Velaine certainly seemed like she was at home to most people around her, but deep inside, the wilderness of home was where she belonged. Even her choice of clothing did not quite fit those of the people around here. Her black dress billowed behind her, looking especially somber compared the colors others were wearing.

By the time servants opened the doors and ushered her inside, Velaine smiled at the sight of her brother alone. She made sure her expression showed little else but a pleasant surprise. There was still a chance that she was wrong, after all. Perhaps Xander simply wanted to discuss something else entirely, like the weather… or perhaps even the executions.

The young woman bowed slowly, taking the time to smooth out her emotions. If this was truly about the letter, Velaine would have to proceed carefully. She had no idea how much they knew of her special talents. “My Duke… You called for me?”
Last edited by Velaine Krome on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Profession: Baron and Marshal of Astedia
Renown: +142
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:24 pm

She was gone and there was no time, suddenly everything he had ever cared about, everything he had worked for was nothing. It was like it had no meaning or use without her. The lands around him held no beauty and the idea of holding the throne without Celeste by his side was ugly. He had to get her back and if that cost him everything then so be it, Celeste was his main goal now.

He almost jumped as Velaine entered his study, hand jumping to the hilt of his blade. Part of him feared more retaliation from the webspinners yet none had come. Seeing his sister he tried to subtly remove his hand from the blade that sat across his desk. The room was a mess, more than usual at least. A backpack leaned against a chair and maps and papers were strewn all over the desk top. "Sister, come in." There was no hiding how tense he was, on edge even. Clearly something was wrong, something wasn't how it was meant to be.

"There is much that needs to be said and little time, so little time." He stood making his way around the busy desk to stand before Velaine. "Celeste is gone, Velaine. She was taken by those bastard webspinners." He visibly grimaced at the mention of them. This would be a foreign side of Xander to his sister, his composure shot and him a long shot from the cold and calculating man he had once been.

He rubbed his face and leaned against the desk, his frustration clear as he tried to find some sort of stability in himself. "And the girls." Suddenly he lost himself, tears breaching his eyes as he stepped forward and took his sister. His arms holding her as he audibly whimpered, his face burying in the crook of her neck. The emotions had become too much for him and for the first time in many arcs he allowed his guard down completely to anyone besides Celeste. "They took them." The words were a whisper as he just stood there holding his sister and looking for the comfort only a sibling could offer.

After a short while he stepped back inhaling deeply as he shuffled back and sat against the desk edge. "I'm sorry, I have not felt like this since..." He stopped looking to her and knowing she would remember his reaction to the loss of Zara. "I will be leaving today, the ship leaves shortly." Xander scratched his head, hair messy as he thought, he had to get everything in order before he left.

"First, about the letter. I am afraid for you sister, I can imagine what these secret special skills are and looking around me in the current times I worry." Xander picked at the side of the desk, small splinters coming loose. "I don't want to see or hear that you were burnt alive, I don't think I could take the loss of another sister. Promise me you will be careful, Rynmere is not safe for anyone any more. It is not just the crown that is an issue either, there is Faction VII and the web spinners and not to mention any hidden pieces of Veljorn's rebellion."

His eyes briefly seemed to lighten, becoming pale with his fear for her. "I cannot protect you." Apology was in his features as if he felt he was failing her as well as the people and Celeste who had already been taken.
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

RP Medals

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:58 am

She was expecting an interrogation. Something. If the letter had even hinted at Celeste and Xander about her skills, Velaine would have no idea what to say to them. How would they react? Will they turn her in? A part of her would like to believe that Xander would never do such a thing too her, but her trust was a fragile thing right now. Nate’s decision to… leave her had taken a toll.

The lady of Krome certainly did not expect the sight of her brother alone, looking ashen gray. His study looked like a storm had walked through it. It was chaos, paper and books scattered everywhere. “Xander…” she started cautiously, closing the door carefully behind her. “What is going on?”

Her worry doubled when the baron of Astedia surged forward and pulled her into an embrace. It was… unexpected. It had been too long since they showed affection to one another. “Xander, what is it? You are scaring me.”

At her brother’s brief explanation, it was clear to see that Velaine was… confused. Her heart pounded harshly against her chest, expecting the worst. “Webspinners? Who are they? What do you mean they’re gone?”

“I will be leaving today, the ship leaves shortly.”

Her eyes turned glassy for the briefest moment. It’s one thing after another. First it was Nate and now Xander? Velaine knew she was stronger than this, that she shouldn’t be so upset, but her voice was fragile when she finally spoke. She gripped his arm, as if unwilling to let go. “You’re leaving me? I… I don’t have anyone else here, Xander.”

Velaine pressed her lips together, her head shaking as she pulled away slowly at his concern. It seemed like there was no use for her to lie. At least, he seemed too distraught to be upset that she had hidden such a secret. “I don’t plan to burn on a stake, brother. But I just… I know you have to go. You have to make sure they’re alright. But, where are you going? Will you come back?”
Xander Andaris
Approved Character
Profession: Baron and Marshal of Astedia
Renown: +142
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Milestones

RP Medals

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Xander had been a bad brother to Velaine, he knew that but had never been able to find a way to truly fix his mistakes. She had been sent half way around the world and he lost his ability to help her when Zara died. He had retreated from offering or receiving affection, obsessed with one goal and one dream but things had changed now. He felt love and passion more strongly than ever and no longer was it just for a pipe dream of what Krome could be but for the people that surrounded him.

He saw his sisters eyes turn glassy and he felt deeply saddened as she spoke, there was something in her voice that stirred the distant memories of what it meant to be a brother. She tried to pull away but he didn't let her, returning the tight grip she had had on him. Xander looked in Velaine's eyes, his face strong and proud. "We are wolves Velaine, we are the children of Krome and we are a pack." He moved his hands to her hands and nodded resolutely. "We will never be apart forever, the pack always find there way to one another."

There was no doubt that Xander had found himself again, the supportive and caring brother he had been once long ago. "I am proud of you Velaine, you are a strong woman." He looked to the floor and chuckled slightly. "Stronger than me sister, you always were and always will be. You are smart and cunning, you posses the ability to charm those you need and royally piss off those you don't, you are what once made Krome great." He leaned forward and placed a kiss on her forehead, holding it there for a moment he stepped back.

"You hold the mantle of our house, maybe you can do better than me and our father before us." He stepped back and searched for something in the mess that was his room. With a strange grunt he pulled a strange looking wooden bar from within an old desk draw. The ends of each side were carved into the heads of wolves and the dark wood was polished to a shining finish. The red leather straps that ran around either end were like blood running from the centre.

"Once I said you should learn to defend yourself and you said swords weren't for you." Holding each end of the wooden bar he pulled apart the Tamo Daggers. The sound of perfectly crafted steal rang out as he span the daggers and offered them handle first to her. "I thought these might suit you better." The expensive gift was something he had no doubt she might soon find a use for.

He let her take them and offered her a smile. "The truth is I don't know when or if I will return to Rynmere of my own accord but never be afraid to call for my aid, if you howl I will always answer your request as best I can." He placed his hand on her shoulder and imagined how different their lives could have been if just one horrible incident had not ruined their childhoods. "I am going to Ivorian, that is where they have taken Celeste and the twins. I named one of them Zara." Xander thought that might make her happy although he was often wrong.
Off Topic
Masterwork Tamo Daggers: 160GN deducted from ledger

Return to “Andaris”