Frozen

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Pegasus
Lore Analyst
Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Frozen

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:16 pm

16th Cylus, 718
If Xiur heard, he didn't seem to want to do anything about it and, the trial wore on. But, undeterred, Tio went and had a good old rummage in the pirate's trouser pocket. Or, at least, that's where he found it. A note. It went something along the following lines.

Fred,

These be the last ones this season, I'm too cold. I'll sell them in Rynmere and your money will be in the usual place.

PS: We need a new branding iron.

PPS: I'm keeping the blonde woman as payment. Lets hope this one lives longer than the last.

Love,
Bob.
It probably didn't bode entirely well for the parents of the young people who were looking with wide, needy eyes at the two of them. They looked at Rynata, though and took the food with quiet thank yous. When she said to them that the best thing was that they got back to town, there were collective sighs and then they went back.

It was a somber and subdued group of children who walked with the two adults and Wren looked up at one point and asked, her voice sounding resigned to an answer she knew was coming. "Are we going to have to go and live in the orphanage now?"

As she said it, the dog whined.

Emma, the oldest of the three, shook her head. "We're not going to the orphanage. We're big enough, I can look after us. We can sell Wren and Deliliah's houses, or rent them to people and use the money to get food." She was stubborn and determined and she looked at Tio and Rynata with a very particular set to her jaw. "And if anyone says we have to have someone looking after us, I can say you are, but you don't need to cos I will."

Wren smiled at Emma and then nodded to Tio and Ryn. "But you can still visit, can't you?"

Wuff, said the dog. And in front of them was town and the three houses.
Off Topic
One more post from you guys and we're done. You have discovered some vital information about a human trafficking ring in Scalvoris. You have three young girls and one dog looking at you with big eyes and a few decisions still to make.
What will you do, if anything, with the information you have?
What will you do right now with the girls?
etc. Let me know in your next post.

And heh. 5,000th post!
word count: 457
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: +210
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 3

Contribution

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Rynata leaned in and looked over, or at least tried to look over Tio's arm at the message he had discovered. The names Fred, Rynmere, and Bob jumped out at her, but on paper, they held no special meaning. However, they at least knew Rynmere as the potential place where the victims were taken. The note also revealed that the trafficking ring would cease operations for the current season, meaning they would have some time until they could directly involve themselves with the culprits.

"I recommend renting the homes. That's more stable income than relinquishing them entirely, I think. Besides, it gives you a place for when your parents return." Rynata still refused to give up that possibility. It also pained her that suddenly, these three children needed to take charge of their livelihoods.

"I'll visit as often as I can," Rynata smiled back at Wren, glancing at Tio as if encouraging him to do the same. "I can give you my contacts so you can get to me if you need anything. In the meantime, we've got some information on the criminals and your parent's whereabouts. I'll keep looking."

Turning to the only other adult in the area, Rynata pointed at the note. "I suppose we could make copies of that. Give one to the Elements and keep copies for ourselves, yes? The more eyes and ears on the look out, the better. We could try sending word to Rynmere if we have the proper channels. The Elements might even risk sending out some Water Troops on the Rynmere route."

It was doubtful with the head start the pirates had and the cold weather coming in, but they should cover all corners just in case.

Walking into the house with the girls, Rynata returned the weather gear she had borrowed and helped the children out of their snow dampened clothes. If they needed help moving belongings from the other two houses, she would stay behind to do so. However, the sooner Elements knew of the kidnapping, the better, and she was soon off with details of the note toward the office in Almund.
word count: 367
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +422
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medal count: 24

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Once again there was no answer from the Immortals in his time of need, but thankfully Tio was able to come across a small miracle all on his own. When he searched for clues in the dead pirates pocket he discovered the note revealing that the captured people were being taken to Rynmere. Whilst it did mean that his own investigation had to come to an end he now at least knew where the kidnapped people had been sent to, and could turn the case over to the Elements. Hopefully they wouldn't ask to many questions about why he seemed to keep getting caught up in human-trafficking related crimes recently.

As they began their sullen trek back to the houses and the subject of what the girls were supposed to do now came up Tio didn't realise that a small frown had fallen across his face. On the one hand Tio really didn't think it was smart to let the three girls look after themselves unsupervised. They were tough little things, that was true, but if word got out that the three of them lived alone together they'd become a target for all sorts of thugs looking for an easy score. On the other hand he'd heard that the orphanage system in Almund wasn't exactly brilliant, and he wouldn't put it past the caretakers there to try and swindle the girls out of their property. There was a third option but... it was something Tio didn't really want to do.

But considering that he'd failed to make good on his promise the yludih couldn't help but feel guilty about what had happened. And if something happened to them after this he knew that he wouldn't be able to forgive himself. Perhaps he should just bite the arrow and do it.

"If you'd like there is... somewhere else you could go." Tio began hesitantly. "Do you know that castle built on the rock just out of Port Diabolo? The one just sort of inexplicably sticking out of the ocean? Well that's my house; Silver Point, and on the shore right next to it there's a stable I use to store my merchant company's cargo in. I'm... not there very often... in fact I'm rarely there at all really, but if you'd like you're welcome to stay there until the Elements bring your parents back. You'd be a lot safer out there in the country than you would be in Almund, and you can rent out all three houses to support yourselves. It wouldn't be a guardianship since I'm really not qualified for that sort of thing; more like you'd be caretakers of the place in exchange for lodging, but people wouldn't discover that you have no guardians out there and wouldn't come after you. My employees would be there to check up on you regularly too, and if you feel up to it I can loan you the money to buy some horses and you can try to have a go at running a small business there. It'd give you something to do at least."

It would have been cruel to admit to being a pirate after the girl's parents had just been stolen from them by other pirates, and so once again Tio lied through his teeth for what he believed to be best for the girls. Hopefully this time he'd be able to sustain the lie for long enough to not get caught. Still it was a less deadly risk than leaving three kids to survive the streets of Almund alone would be.

Whatever they chose to do Tio helped them to move into there new lodging, then went with Rynata to make a report to the Elements. Hopefully they'd be able to expose the slavery ring and get the kidnapped people back soon. And if not he'd have to start asking some questions to his underworld contacts; see if they could find out when the ship was passing on the route to Rynmere next season.
word count: 712
Currently very sick and light-headed. Apologies if my replies take a while and don't always make sense.
Pegasus
Lore Analyst
Race: Prophet
Profession: Telling Stories!
Renown: -665
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 31

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Tio

Overview

Always fun to write with Tio and I enjoyed this thread immensely - it was interesting to see his changing emotional state throughout this. You write him so well, it's a pleasure to write for him - I think in this my favorite moment was him instructing Tiddles to renounce his oath to the dark gods. And sit. Enjoy your rewards!

XP: 20 (not for magic)

Renown: 15

Loot

A Red Spoon: It's a strange thing, this spoon, but Wren finds it in a drawer in his house and hands it to him. It's always warm, the bit of the spoon that he eats from and, whatever he eats with it is pleasantly warm and tasty.
3 x children living in your house. They are neat and careful and under your feet. They are disarmingly cute and very grateful. They hide things from you (clean the house) and are trying to poison you (learning to cook). They play lots of games like hide and seek, tag and that sort of thing and, often, the house is filled with sounds of running and laughing.
1 x dog. Mr Tiddles goes where the girls go. Over the course of the next season, Mr Tiddles accepts Tio as his family and so, wanders after him, brings him sticks and, now and then, Tio wakes up and the dog is watching him.

Knowledge

Acting: Improvisation is hard when people don't know you're doing it
Acting: Never work with children and animals
Acting: Sounding sure of yourself when you are really (really) not.
Acting: Sounding hopeful when you don't feel it.
Caregiving: Cover children's eyes from gruesome sights
Deception: Being a good person who isn't a bad person but isn't as good a good person as that person thinks. Is that wrong?
Deception: You don't have to hide all your emotions to deceive
Deception: A pleased smirk can be for all sorts of reasons.
Deception: Sometimes, deception can be comforting
Deception: Lying to give hope
Discipline: Sometimes, you have to take the dog
Discipline: Offering help even when you really don't want to
Endurance: Persistant freezing conditions
Etiquette: Don't joke about kidnapping to a victim. They don't like it
Intimidation: Can be time sensitive
Intimidation: Threatening death is usually pretty effective
Investigation: Often, things aren't what they seem to be
Investigation: What to do when clues don't add up
Investigation: Sometimes, you run out of clues
Investigation: Search for clues everywhere
Persuasion: There is no such thing as a good dog is a deeply compelling argument
Seduction: A charming greeting
Storytelling: The story of Captain Mangoes!
Tactics: Pick your adversary, even in a snowball fight.
Tactics: Pick your direction with the best knowledge you have
Tactics: Guilt tripping a god is probably not ideal

Rynata

Overview

Rynata is such a good and nice person and so strong and determined too! I love the way you play her and you write her in this thread as really doing her best to roll with the punches and the constant changes. Excellent stuff - I hope you enjoy your rewards!

XP: 20 (not for magic)

Renown: 15

Loot

The Blue Bowl: This bowl is a pretty single-serving sized soup bowl. It's got a lovely sea-scape pattern on it and is a very beautiful thing. Once a trial, at your command, it fills with a filling, healthy and hearty hot meal. Rynata can't tell it what meal she wants, but it's always a meal she enjoys. Just once a trial, only works for her. (Although you could feed the contents to someone else once it's appeared, of course).

Knowledge

Caregiving: Making sure the child in your charge is warm
Caregiving: Giving reassurance
Caregiving: Encouragement can be a very powerful thing
Caregiving: Not lying, but not telling the truth either
Detection: Paying attention to your surroundings
Discipline: Not reacting to a callous expression
Discipline: Not giving in to feelings of helplessnes.
Endurance: The pain of a bag to the face.
Endurance: Extreme, consistent cold
Interrogation: Ask short, sharp questions to a dying man
Interrogation: Ensure you make yourself clear
Investigation: Putting together information can be helpful
Investigation: Search for clues quickly, in the first instance
Investigation: Search for more detail once you've determined there is no danger
Leadership: Taking charge in a quiet and compassionate manner.
Leadership: Calm and in control
Medicine: Elevate wounds to slow bleeding
Tactics: When it's time to beat a retreat
Tactics: Hand signals can aid communication
Tactics: Choosing a route based on all the information you have
Tactics: Keep calm in a crisis
Unarmed Combat: Brawling: A good, swift kick.
Unarmed Combat: Brawling: Wrenching out of grasp
Unarmed Combat: Brawling: Brace yourself with your foot.

Amaris

Overview

Such a shame to lose Amaris from this thread. I would just also point out that a number of your posts are below 250 words - which is the minimum word count per post on ST. Please make sure to amend that in the future. Please find your rewards below!

XP: 15 (not for magic)

Renown: 10

Loot

None (did not complete the thread)

Knowledge

Animal Training: Give a command
Caregiving: Children ask strange questions
Detection: Checking through the windows
Investigation: Considering an area for clues.
Leadership: Giving direction clearly
Leadership: Keep children away from danger
Tactics: Using what information you have to decide a route
Tactics: Try and think through the possible consequences of an action
Unarmed Combat: Brawling: Swinging a bag
word count: 974

Return to “Almund”