• Graded • Must Be the Salt Air

Job Thread

0th of Cylus 0

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.
Bronik
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Renown: -30
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Must Be the Salt Air

8 Cylus 716
Bronik had been job hunting all over Ne'haer for a few days now, visiting all of the major shipyards in the city, more often than not lucking out, and gaining a number of responses he had heard far too many times since he had begun his search. We don't need any more boat builders, try so and so down the road, and his new favourite, if only you had been here last season. Bronik had just about given up for the day when an old man approached him off the street and asked him what he could do as far as his building skills went.
"I've worked on a handful of small boats with my father, repairs mostly rather than building from scratch, but I've carved out my own canoes before and sold the odd dugout to fishermen along the coast," he said honestly.

After some discussion the man, who introduced himself only as Cameron, offered to show Bronik around his workshop which wasn't in a prime location along the shore, but instead set back further within the city. Bronik was pleased to see that the man was running no small operation and imagined that he was bound to get a bit of work if he could land a job here.
"Remove the bark from that log," Cameron pointed, "then we will see what you're capable of."
Free to use any of the tools he needed, Bronik selected one he knew was just right for stripping bark and began the task he thought to be far below his current strengths, still, he understood that if he wanted to prove his worth and land the job, he would have to do some of the hard work before he could get to the fun stuff. After an hour or so, the log had been completely stripped of bark on one side and Bronik stood sweeping the mess up with a broom, gathering the bark up into a pile with his bare hands to try and keep the workshop floor as tidy as possible.
word count: 350
Bronik
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Must Be the Salt Air

"Looks good," Berlion nodded and waved the young man over in order to show him something.
Bronik followed Cameron across the yard into a long workshop with high set windows. Inside, the frame of a boat at least twenty feet long was held together by clamps and propped up with supports on either side in the form of long, thick, square logs, "a long ship?" Bronik inquired, eyes alight with wonder, and heart thumping hard in his chest. Boat building had always excited him and before he had decided to leave for Ne'haer, his father had promised that they would build a long ship together, but had never gotten around to it. Long ships took a big commission in order to gather the right materials to build them, and Cameron didn't seem short of that.
"That's right, we like to build them long and shallow which helps keeps them flexible enough to move in rough conditions," the master shipwright explained, "it will take us well into next season to finish her."
"Us?" Bronik turned to face the man.
"Of course, you and me, boy, I've needed an extra pair of hands to help me out around here for a while now."
"I'm hired?"
"As an apprentice," Cameron warned, "I can only afford to pay you one gold piece a day, at least until I know you're worth more and we get the commission for this little beauty."
"Thank You!" Bronik beamed, a chance to prove that he had what it takes to one day become an excellent ship builder was all he wanted, "one gold piece a day is fine."
"Go on then," the old man waved, "go take a look."

With haste, Bronik stepped up to one side of the boat and ran his hand over the sturdy frame and the cladding that had already gone on under the belly of the boat, "it overlaps?" Bronik asked, "These pieces of wood here, I've never seen that before."
"That's right," Cameron agreed with a nod, "we call it a clinker build, which is overlapping of the planks riveted together."

Bronik offered the man a guilty smile, he was pointing out his own boat building weaknesses already, perhaps not the smartest thing to do for his first day on the job.
"Don't worry," the shipwright grinned, "you'll be learning plenty here, and since it's all hands on work, why don't you help me sand down these planks that will go on next?"
"I'd love to!" Bronik grinned before getting back to work.

Bronik lay down a rough plank of hand-hewn timber and used a special tool to scrape smooth the long panel of wood. It took a while to shave all of the splinters from the plank and get it to the point where it was ready to sand. Once ready, Bronik put on a pair of gloves and picked up a handful of sand to rub against the timber, a terribly arduous task that would take up the better path of the afternoon. At this rate, he thought, he would probably only be able to finish one plank a day, and imagined that a twenty foot long ship would take them until the end of Cylus to get just the prep work completed.
word count: 557
Bronik
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Must Be the Salt Air

“The backbone of the ship is made of a hardwood,” Cameron explained after some questioning, “And we use a softer wood for the planking skin.”
“What kind?” Bronik inquired.
“Yellow cedar,” Cameron admitted hesitantly, he had seen too many come and go to give all his secrets away, “it has a bit more flex and makes the finished product lighter.”
“And iron nails?” Bronik asked.
“Galvanised iron,” Berlio nodded.
“How do you galvanise iron?”
“The metal workers import zinc from places like the iron mines in Endor, heat it up and coat the iron nails and tools in it to prevent corrosion.”
“Endor?” Bronik looked a little confused.
“The Kingdom of Rynmere,” Cameron straightened, “didn’t they teach you anything in school?”
Bronik laughed, “Not much outside of western Idalos.”
“We also use wooden pegs,” Cameron picked one up to show the man, “hammer them in tight and you’ll struggle to ever free them.”

Bronik took the wooden peg and studied it for a spell; it was much bigger than a nail, both in length and width. He picked up the wooden float after that, one he had seen Cameron using and pushed it back and forth across the wooden plank he had been working on, finding he achieved a much better result in using it to spread the sand evenly and sand back any of the rough bits or knots in the wood, “how can I tell when the plank is ready?” This was something Bronik had figured out already having worked with his father for many years, but wasn’t sure about Cameron's standards.
The shipwright came over to examine the plank, running his fingers over then smooth, even finish Bronik had achieved, “looks good, why don’t you help me lift it up into the steamer and we’ll work on the clamps to get it fitted into place.”
“All right,” Bronik agreed and lifted his end of the panel to help carry the plank over to the steamer.
“This is the port forward plank on the fourth strake,” Cameron told him, “We’ll leave it in the steamer for a break and twenty bits while we get the clamps ready to accept it.”
“Why so long in the steamer?” Bronik asked.
“The wood on long ships needs a lot more bend than the stuff you have worked with in the past, the extra time in the steamer will make it easier to work with.”
word count: 410
Bronik
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Must Be the Salt Air

An hour and twenty minutes later the wood was finished in the steamer and both men put their gloves on before pulling it out and got it over to the boat as quickly as possible before it had too much time to cool down. Cameron fixed the first clamp against the plank, making the most of Bronik’s strength to support the weight of the wood while he made sure everything was lined up correctly. Bronik took up a small wooden hammer and under Cameron's guidance, tapped the port end of the plank into place, knocking the edge very lightly wherever the old man pointed out that it needed to come down a bit more.
“How long do we leave the clamps on for?” Bronik inquired.
“The night at the very least,” Cameron told him.
“And put the nails in tomorrow?”
“That’s the one,” the old man smiled, glad to see they were making progress already, “now get over there and prepare another plank,” he ordered, “the more we get done today, the less we’ll have to wait around tomorrow.”

Bronik understood the man’s logic, if they could put the fourth strake up on the other side before they called it a day, they wouldn’t be limited to working on the one side come tomorrow; perhaps this build would not take them the rest of the season after all.
word count: 234
Jade
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Must Be the Salt Air

Well Earned Rewards

Ship Building: The Basic Tools And How To Use Them
Ship Building: Keeping A Clean Workshop
Ship Building: Clinker Build
Ship Building: Long Ship Materials
Ship Building: Sanding, Bending, and Setting Planks
Cameron: Acquiring An Apprenticeship
Cameron: Proving Your Worth
Very good job thread! I can't wait to see the relationship build between Teacher and Apprentice. If you have any questions or concerns about your grade, don't be afraid to PM me!
word count: 81
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Ne'haer”