Fiddling and Horsing Around

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Ymiden 19, 718
It wasn't very often that the two of them just stayed around camp, not going anywhere in particular or as a result, as good as looking for trouble. Or going out and about where it could find them. But there was plenty they could do around camp, especially considering it was positioned far enough from the gates of Rharne where there was plenty of open ground around them, and open skies above.

Vega was fiddling around camp, maybe messing with her instruments, and a handful of yards away, Arlo had saddled up Peg and had just come back from a good, lively run that she hadn't gotten in a while, and the exercise had served to get some of the mare's usual spit and vinegar out of her. She'd even tried to throw him once or twice, just because she thought that maybe she could. But by the time they returned, she worn herself down into a favorable state of complacency. Just the way that Arlo had wanted her, for what he had planned.

It had been some time, he'd been thinking of combining his acrobatic skills, his weapon skills and his riding ones into something more interesting. And useful too, he hoped. Some people just rode in the saddle and that was more than enough. Others learned to ride one handed or no handed in order to use or fire their weapons, just as Arlo had learned to do already. But he figured he and Peg could improve on that, so long as the mare was willing to learn and indulge him.

So there, a stone's toss from camp where he and Vega could hear and see each other, he had Peg walking in a large but regular circle. It was a start, the basics, as Arlo slipped his feet out of the stirrups, slid his hands to the ends of the reins to add as much length as was available, and in one fluid motion, hoisted himself up so that he was standing in the saddle rather than sitting.

Of course Peg reacted just as he'd expected her to and lurched forward with ears pinned. But this was the sort of thing that Arlo was able to ride out well enough, and it only took adjusting his balance a little as he got her under control and began to guide her onwards round and round, finally urging the mare back into a slow trot.
Last edited by Arlo Creede on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 416
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The weather was hotting up and for Vega that meant two things without fail. She wore less and her freckles started to become more prominent on her face, legs and arms. She absolutely hated having freckles ~ figuring that it made her look about twelve. But she hated being hot more and whilst she knew that wearing a pair of shorts and a cropped top would mean that she more or less turned into one huge walking freckled thing, that was preferable to over heating and therefore, that was what she wore. While he'd been gone, giving Peg a run he said, Vega had been spending time with Zyqat. He was growing and growing and she absolutely adored him. "Sit. No, not lick. Sit." She grinned as the dog snuggled into her and she pushed him away, laughing. "Gerrof, it's too hot for that. Sit." Sitting, the dog looked at her and let out a low whine, his mismatched eyes wide and sad looking and Vega couldn't resist. "Oh you're such a good boy! Yes you are!" The sound of Arlo approaching caused the dog to bound off to greet him, as delighted to see Arlo as he was to see Vega.

Having got back to camp, though, Arlo had decided that he was going to ride Peg around in circles. Vega watched him with a raised eyebrow, wondering if perhaps he'd taken the plot with him when he'd gone and lost it on his ride, but then he stood up. In the saddle. "Yer a right show off, you are," she said, her eyes watching him and her gaze appreciative. The way he moved was just so fluid and Vega watched for a few moments and said nothing.

"Oh," she said, shaking her head slightly as she dragged her gaze off him. "So, it turns out, I can play the piano. Cecily, my teacher, she's well weird an' a bit snooty, but nice enough. Keeps touchin' my hair." She shrugged slightly, lifting the fiddle to nestle under her chin and beginning to play as it glowed, even in the trials light. That she could play the piano so quickly really didn't seem to perturb or even particularly impress Vega. She didn't really know what all the fuss was about. Watching the way that Peg's feet moved on the ground, she started to play in time with the horse, thinking about how the horse's feet moved, with the little kick ups of dirt on the floor translating to her fingers dancing over the strings. As she played, the music moving with Peg, cantering along at the same pace and rhythm, her eyes were bright green framed in gold.

"So, if I asked you, 'Arlo why're you standin' up on Peg?', jus' you know, out of curiosity," Vega said, lowering the volume of her playing, but keeping it in the background. "What would you say?"
word count: 495

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Ymiden 19, 718
The weather was heating up, predictably as it always did every arc. Which was why, even though Arlo had begin this exercise with Peg while wearing a light cotton shirt, he'd peeled it off at some point and was now going without. It was less to get in the way besides, when otherwise the fabric might have caught on the saddle horn or other things while he tried out a new trick or two.

There was a certain fluidity required to do what he was doing. Arlo was well equipped for that. His acrobatic skills served him well. Slightly bent knees once he had both feet planted on the saddle, far enough to keep him on board but not so far as to cause him to slip off either side. From head to toe, he had to go with the motion of Peg's movements, rather than a more common impulse to fight against them. And all the while, best be able to readjust should she do something unpredictable.

'Not that hard really," he called back and grinned when Vega called him a showoff. There was an element of 'hey look ma, no hands!' to it. It was only natural. Arlo was all male and not immune to the idea of showboating now and again. "Of course you can play the piano," he said as he lowered himself back into saddle, changing positions in order to consider a different maneuver. "You're a natural with musical instruments." Still, her hair? "You have very good hair," he quipped.

"Maybe she's jealous of it or thinks touching it is good luck?" Superstition, that was. When he'd been a kid, Arlo told her and might have told her the same before, any number of old woman seemed fascinated his curls and were always wanting to touch them. He'd hated it, but of course that didn't need saying. Then Arlo snorted in amusement as he swung his outside leg over the saddle so that both were on one side while Peg continued to move. "If you were to ask? Partly I'd say that it's because I can."

With that, while keeping hold of the reins and the saddle horn with his right hand, he dropped to the ground, taking hold of the back of the saddle with his right hand as he leaped a few paces forward with Peg, and mounted again on the move. In a sense, he'd pulled the trick off, managing to dismount, and mount again on the move. The technique though, new to him as it was, was undeniably clumsy and would need some work. "Lots of folks can fire a bow from horseback. Even fight with a sword. This though? Even better."

Slowing Peg down to a walk then and riding normally, his aim was to let the mare cool down and relax before stopping completely. "You know, if you're playing quietly because you want to, all well and good," he told her. "But if you're doing it for mine and Peg's sake, there's no need. In fact the more distractions she learns to ignore, the better."
word count: 533
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

It simply wasn't fair Vega considered as he peeled off his shirt. Raising an eyebrow as she watched him and her eyes flooding with a deep, vivid indigo she remarked in a somewhat caustic ~ for her ~ tone. "Betcha I can make you fall off." All it would take, she knew, was the peeling off of her top and he'd be somewhat more likely to take a tumble. Then, of course, so would they. She grinned as she watched him and considered that, while it wasn't at all fair, she had the best end of the deal. She'd manage in shorts and a crop top and be content to watch him.

When he said she had good hair, though, Vega guffawed. "Yeah, right. Good for a nest. I was thinkin' of cuttin' it short. But Papa'll get this expression on his face like someone killed his pet flunny in front of 'im an' he'll tell me, 'It's your life, Eva, you must do as you wish' which means, it's your choice, but if you do I'm' gonna be sad." She scrunched up her nose and spoke her truth. "All men are basically boys, I've decided. Not one of ya grows up an' behaves well."

As to why her teacher insisted on touching her hair, Vega shrugged, "I dunno, Arlo. Before l I told her she has her own hair, touch that, she kept like pickin' it up an' puttin' off over one shoulder an' strokin' it an' stuff." It seemed like odd behaviour, but then she was a land-living human so of course she was odd. He had told her about the old women and his curls, she said and told him he was getting old, starting to forget things. But she lifted her arms up and pulled said mane of hair back into a high ponytail which she knotted so that what little air there was would be on her neck. "It's a beautiful instrument. I tried the harp too. Cecily seems to think the same as Papa about the whole prodigy thing but I dunno. I think it's jus' I found what I love to do, you know?" With a rare, serious gaze she looked at him as she lifted her fiddle. Just before she started to play, she spoke.

"I found what I love an' who I love an' I live a life I love. I might be Idalos' luckiest ginger, you know." She began to play, dancing in time with Peg and when he spoke about lowering the volume, she shook her head. "I wanna be able to hear you, an' I need to practice gettin' feelin' into the quieter bits an' the silences."

With her eyes half closed as she played the glowing violin, he might notice that the fiddle she was playing was different ~ it glowed with starlight as it always did, but there were tiny engraved stars on it and it looked well cared for, but very old. "Cecily gave me this. She said it deserves to be played an' .. yeah." The sound it produced was beautiful and, as she played she grinned at him. "It's a'right, innit?"

Looking at him and trying not to get distracted by him, but largely failing dismally, Vega's bow stopped and she gave a sudden, wicked grin. "Do you remember, in the waterfall of eternal youth? Egads, it were hotter'n than a fire defier's farts, that trial, you remember? It was so nice jus' bein in the water." With an entirely serious face, she added, "I still owe you for spittin' that water all over me, too, come to think on it."
word count: 622

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Ymiden 19, 718
Make him fall off? Arlo knew what that meant, what Vega would do in order to make it happen. He knew her too well, not to, but also knew that she wouldn't do it. It still didn't stop him from teasing her, as he'd settled back into the saddle. "You sure you want to do that?" he shot back with a suggestive lift of his brow. "Might break something important you know. Or at least bruise or bend something that would surely put a kink in things for a while." Meanwhile, he'd slowed Peg down to a leisurely walk in order to cool her off before dropping to the ground for the last time.

As for her hair and what she might do with it? Call him a boy if she liked, but he'd rather she didn't cut it off. It suited Vega perfectly just as it was. Vibrant and shining, wild and untamed much of the time. Contrary as often as accommodating. Would he love her just as much, was she to cut it all off or it fell out on it's own? Of course he would. He'd just like it better if she didn't. Arlo knew better than to say so however, Vega might just take it as a challenge or dare if she did. Sometimes the less said the better. "Probably just superstition then," he added, referring to her music tutor's obsession with her red locks. Or maybe her own mother or grandmother had had hair that color and it was a sentimental thing. Women were strange creatures and often did curious things. Far be it from him to try and explain them, when he too often didn't understand them himself. And apparently, half the time they didn't understand each other.

"You should always do what you love. it's usually what you'll do best," he said as he pulled Peg's saddle off, replaced her bridle with a soft rope halter and began to brush her before turning her loose. He'd never seen or heard anyone playing a harp however, but only seem pictures of them. He'd seen one in a store window once when he was younger too, but hadn't known what it was. But Vega had a real talent, and he could only imagine that she'd handled one well.

He got that though, wanting to get the hang of playing more quietly. He'd done that himself with his gittern, though he wasn't nearly as devoted to playing as she was. In a sense, as a storyteller, his own voice was his primary instrument. "And I'm the man with the luckiest ginger on Idalos at his side," he teased once he'd sent Peg off to a nice patch of grass, and sat down beside her. "And the luckiest man too, who smart enough to know it," Arlo added and kissed her before pouring himself a cold cup of water.

It was a wonder, he said when she played the instrument that seemed to twinkle with starlight all the while. "It was generous of her, and suits you perfectly." He remembered though, that trial in the water, the waterfall, the small chamber behind it. "It was a brilliant move, pulled off like a professional, that fountain of water on your head. I don't think you could ever replicate it. Bet you can't in fact," he said. A challenge of sorts, and an invitation. There was the river just down the hill, a shady still place along the shore that was perfect for swimming. And him? Enough riding for one trial, and enough of the heat that was only going to get worse once Saun came along.
Last edited by Arlo Creede on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 636
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

He called her bluff on making him fall off and Vega grinned at him. "Didn't say I was gonna, jus' said I could," she shot back quickly. "I'm not goin' to do it, you're all fragile an' bruise too easy for me, It's disappointin' you know." She grinned at him, her eyes trailing somewhat lazily over him. "Bruise like a peach, you do." Vega stretched out her legs and looked down at them with frown. She could see the scars all the time, but as her skin tanned with the heat, so the whiteness of the scars really started to show. At least in her eyes. But then, she shrugged and glanced at him with a grin. Vega saw him look, saw him see her and what she was thinking and her grin turned into a softer smile. It was fine, she was just fussing, she knew. The way he looked at her left her in no doubt as to what he thought of how she looked and, in truth, the scars were a lot smaller and neater than she could have hoped for.

When they talked about her hair, though, and her father's reaction to it, Vega caught Arlo's glance and in that she realised that he was looking at her mane of unruly locks a particular, and a positive way. He didn't say anything, but he liked her hair long, so she rolled her eyes. "It's not worth the grief I'd get from Papa. The sad eyes an' deep sighs. An' I only ever really wanna cut it in the summer cos I get so damn hot. I'll jus' tie it back." She smiled slightly, quite sure that he knew as well as she did that she was aware of his preference. "I'd probably look well stupid with short hair, anyhow. An' a superstition?" Vega looked rather surprised and then guffawed. "It's lucky to touch a ginger?" That was a new one on her, she had to say.

The harp had been lovely she said. Did he know, a piano was actually really just like a harp but in a wooden case and rather than having fingers plucking the strings, you pressed a key and it lowered a hammer to hit the strings? She'd found that out from Cecily, she explained, who she would have to admit was a rather talented musician. And she was, very much, doing what she loved she assured him and she leaned over to rest her head briefly against him. When he said that he was the man with the luckiest ginger on Idalos at his side, she grinned and that turned into a softer smile when he said he was the luckiest man too. Returning the kiss with enthusiasm, Vega suddenly grinned at him. "You know why were both so lucky, yeah? It's the touchin' of the ginger hair. I'd really best not cut it, might lose my magic."

When they talked about the fountain of youth, he shot a challenge her way and Vega put down the fiddle and pulled him close to kiss him once more. "I bet you I can pull off a brilliant move or two in that river, you know," her eyes were dark as she spoke and she was already standing up and tugging at his arm. "An' I bet between us, we can make magic. Come on, Creede, stop lollygaggin', will you?"
word count: 582

Doran Cooney
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Performer
Renown: 40
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Arlo Creede
Knowledges
Acrobatics: Trick riding
Acrobatics: Pulling yourself up to standing on a moving animal
Animal Training: Training is easier if the horse doesn't have excess energy
Animal Training: Small steps in progress is better than spooking the animal.
Mount: Horse: Standing on your horse
Mount: Horse: Using your body to steer
Mount: Horse: Moving with your horse can be counter intuitive
Mount: Horse: Ensuring that you are balanced before increasing speed

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 15
Eva "Vega" Lei'nox
Knowledges
Cosmetology: Scars show up more around tanned skin
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Matching your play to the movements of an animal
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Catching front notes and back notes
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Volume adjustment
Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Crafting emotion in your play can be more difficult when playing quietly
Musical Instrument: Piano: Basically, a harp in a case

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 15
---
Pleasant little grinding thread. They've very couple-y in that they sort of just do their own thing and chat. Steady pace and less time skipping this thread, so that was nice to see!
Please edit your grade request, thank you!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=7932[/img]Doran Cooney[/center]
word count: 217
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Stormlands”