Starting Out

Random questions I have as a starting player that's not sure if she's finding all the secrets.

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Sen'Nuk
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Accessory Maker
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Personal Journal
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

SOOO. I have a few questions that I wasn't sure if I am just blind or what, but I wanted to find out some things for my character. So tell me if I might have glance over something or if these questions really aren't answered somewhere specific, so I know how much of a goof ball I am.

Question 1:
Say I like the idea of the traveler's starting pack, but there's stuff I feel I don't really need can I sell it, or maybe exchange it for something I feel like my character really needs?

Question 2:
If you think that I shouldn't exchange anything in a starter pack, and I kind of start in a city but plan to travel as soon as I feel my character is ready, what pack do you suggest then? The City pack or the Travelers pack?

Question 3:
If you want to do some rp's set in you're character's past you can right? And you can get points based on those adventures as well?

Question 4:
If you look at my character sheet, which I have under construction at the moment. I've done some planning for the appearance at least. What I want to know is for things like clothing. Is there like a chart of which shows what would be normal quality for a Sev'ryn. I remember leather's, pelts and furs.. but I was wondering if things like hardened leather and such would add to the quality and if that could effect my starting kit? Is there a way to adjust this if it does, if not, then I'd like to know what I can do.

Question 5:
I've notice that there are only one or two starting packs that get actual weapons? Is there any reason for this? I thought it might come in handy for my character but the pack I want only includes a simple knife.

Question 6:
Is there a time chart, for like the seasons, the number of days in the seasons, and what each season is? I think I've only seen a little bit of information on like.. two of them. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. (Is trying to determine a birth date for her chara)

Question 7:
Does it say anywhere what age a Sev'ryn is expected to go out to find their Spirit animal (the other half of their soul). I'm not sure I saw one. Though I guess it could be different for everyone huh?
word count: 435
Jade
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

Hey there Sen'Nuk! Welcome to Standing Trials. I hope this helps and don't be afraid to let me know if you have more questions!

Question 1:
This is possible, however, to make sure everyone is starting roughly the same way (no one has more than another really) I would post a request in the Narrator Support Forum to let us know what pack you wish to use and what items you'd like to exchange for what. If it's doable, then we'll make it happen, if not, the narrator will provide you with another solution.

Question 2:
It really is up to you which pack you wish to take. My PC's name is En'yka and I gave her a Traveler's pack because currently, she is travel, however most of her roleplays will be memory threads. In this case, it depends on how soon your character will be leaving the area they're in. Do they have enough time to earn a wage from a job? Or could they do odd jobs to save up the money for the traveling escentials they'll need? If not, then I would go with the Traveler's pack. If yes, then I would go with the City Dweller's pack.

Question 3:
If you want to do some rp's set in you're character's past you can right? And you can get points based on those adventures as well?

Yes, these RP's are called Memory Threads. They take place in the past and you can gain experience off of them just like any other regular thread. When you begin posting to a city/area, you'll have a drop down menu of topic attributions. These attributions are things like... PM To Join, Closed, Memory, Mature, etc. Simply put the topic attribute that best describes the nature of your thread.

Question 4:
Hmm, honestly I don't believe there is. Everyone starts off differently from different backgrounds. If you wish to use better quality leather for your character, I don't see the problem with this, however, this is something that I would suggest putting in your post about the item exchange for your starting package when you post in the Narrator Support Forum. If anything, better quality clothing may be rewarded upon Character Sheet approval so long as your character's backstory states why they'd be wearing better clothing. Do they come from a family that's more financially well off? Or did your character craft this with the help of a mentor? These things are possible.

Question 5:
Most of the packs are geared toward players residing in a city, honestly. Though, there are weapons available for you to choose and buy at the start with the amount of gold you receive. You won't be able to buy the best quality weapon, but this is temporary. If you want to fix your character with something better, you can definitely work out a modded thread with a prophet that handles the area you'll be RPing in.

Question 6:
There is definitely information on the seasons! On the main page, the seasons listed under the Time Keeping sidebar on the left hand side will always be linked to information about said season. If you go to the home page and hover your cursor over the seasons names, there should be a link to take you to the information.

/time.php
/viewtopic.php ... 1171#p2948

Question 7:
It is different for everyone, however, normally Sev'ryn start getting flashes and visions of their spirit animal counterpart when they start puberty. So anywhere between the ages of 10 and 27 I would say is the best range.
word count: 623
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Kingdom
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

In relation to question one, you also have the option of selling that item in character once you're approved and use that coin to get what you prefer.
word count: 29
A N D I T' S A L L J U S T S M A L L S T U F F, B A B Y.
Sen'Nuk
Character Sheet
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

Thank you for all the answers to my first set of questions! But noooowww! I have even more! I've been doing more reading up on things and found some MORE questions!

Question 8:
When you have a Language that you only know the basics of... would it be wise for a character to have a Dictionary and if they are living in the city for a time to have someone to try and have conversations with in that language? Would those help bring their understanding of the language further? Or should they just try to get a mentor for the time that they are stationary? And live with what knowledge they have?

Question 9:
I see that there are some paths between different cities that could be.. but aren't notated. Some more direct routes. Though I could see some reasons being restocking and trading and such. I'm thinking that my character is going to have a ridiculously long journey ahead of her. So would it be suggested just to follow the trade routes?Though it might cost more money to go on a boat the whole way to where I plan for my Spirit Animal to be?

Question 10:
Would one be able to do multiple jobs? Like Hunter and jeweler (if they hunt for the tribe but ask to keep the hide and bones and such like that?)

Question 11:
With the job pay out chart. Is that based on like.. per season? Or per day? Orrrr what? *is a little confused on that*

Thanks again for all your patience with me!
word count: 266
Kingdom
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: -1000
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

Question 8:
Characters will acquire knowledge in different languages as they communicate with people who speak those languages. It wouldn't a bad idea to get a lesson or two and make a request when you post the thread for grading that you would like language specific knowledge to be rewarded. You have lots of options, be creative.

Question 9:
We would prefer that people stick to the roads, you have the option of cutting but you will probably be attacked by bandits, wild animals, anything etc. You must follow trade routes when traveling by sea. There is a travel cost when going by sea or caravan of 5 silver nel per trial [day].

Question 10:
Your character can have no more than two jobs. Consult with your chosen city's prophet.

Question 11:
In the knowledge base under 'professions' you will get a list of jobs and how much they pay per trial [day]. The wage chart in the price list shows the advancements in pay as your character's work related skill increases.
word count: 175
A N D I T' S A L L J U S T S M A L L S T U F F, B A B Y.
Sen'Nuk
Character Sheet
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

Again! Thank you for all the answers! Soon you're going to get tired of answering questions for me! I just keep running into more!

Question 12:
So the type of bracelets and belts and such that the Sev'ryn make with bones and such, would that be considered jewelry crafting, Crafting, leather working, or a combination of it all?

Question 13:
If you want to your character to be able to hunt with bows or swords, i'm guessing hunting is just a general term? Or do you have to specify what type of weapon? And do they have to have that weapon as an established skill as well? OR are they considered completely separate things?

Question 14:
If you're character starts of in their family home.. Would it be helpful to try and submit some kind of Lore page on the family maybe make a mini family tree and give some information on where the family stands? And would that be okay to start out with? IF I did that, should I still take a City Pack if I'm going to be in the City for a while? How would that work?

Question 15:
Is it to my understanding, that most creatures that exist in real life also exist in Idalos? Not just what we have listed?

Question 16:
When searching for their spirit animal, the animal could be located anywhere in Idalos correct?
word count: 238
Basilisk Snek
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Renown: 10
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Starting Out

12: Depends on what you make. A ring would be jewelry crafting, a leather belt would be leatherworking.

13: Hunting is separate from the weapons skills, you don't have to specify a weapon. Most take a bow and associated skill though.

14: Submitting a minor family tree would probably be good, but that's the sort of thing you should double check with your local Prohpet. =]

15: Yep, if it's around in real life, it's likely around in Idalos. And in a similar habitat. Exceptions are most recent man-made deals. Like Ligers, unless a mod wants them.

16: Yep.
word count: 103
Sen'Nuk
Character Sheet
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

Ty again Basilisk! And Jade and Kingdom! But now I feel like a dumb dumb because I legitimately FORGOT some of the questions i was going to ask in my last post! XD GAHHHHH I can't wait to be able to just do this shiz on my own!

Questions 17:
With the Hunting skill, Does this include skinning the animals and such? Or should I make that one of her Knowledges?

Question 18:
The +10 racial skill points are points on TOP of the 50 given at start correct?
word count: 90
Jade
Prophet of Old
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Starting Out

Skinning the animal is apart of the Hunting skill, but it's more of a knowledge. Like... Hunting: Skinning A Deer. She'll need to be taught how to do so properly before being able to do it herself. If you want, this is a specialized knowledge you can take upon start up. If not, this is a knowledge you can request when you submit your CS for approval (if you state in your character's history that she was taught how to hunt/trap/kill/skin small animals or larger ones).

You're correct. The racial bonus is on top of the 50 you already get.
word count: 107
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”