Just a Walk

Malcolm

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Violet
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Soldier and Painter
Renown: 34
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Just a Walk

It was of great interest to Violet to hear of the scouts’ reports. The war against the rebels had such an unsatisfying ending with very little closure for anyone involved. Besides, the scum needed to suffer for what was undoubtedly a grueling imprisonment for Malcolm and Vaughn. Malcolm had never spoken about it to anyone that he knew of, perhaps he had spoken with Elyna, and she often searched his eyes for the hidden scars she knew must be there. Often she wished he would confide in her, not for her own selfish reasons but because he needed someone to tell. Violet didn’t think Elyna suitable for that job. She just brought him down.

“I would be happy to help you take care of the problems. I can afford to spend some trials away from Rynmere. These days I have a quill in my hand more often than a blade.” She smiled, knowing that the two men would likely have differing opinions. Malcolm would, no doubt, think that might not necessarily think that was a bad thing, and Vaughn seemed like he might be the type to prefer blade over quill if him sleeping through the lecture was any indication.

“That text book can be pretty interesting if you let it,” she offered up with a smile, patting her sack where her own book was resting. “Would be awfully interesting to have you join the class, Vaughn.” Bright eyes darted towards the door and then back to the men. “I better be on to the barracks. Training for me starts soon. I think I may already be late. Professor, Vaughn.” With a light wave of her hand she turned and disappeared out of the doorway and down the hallway.
word count: 290
Vaughn
Renown: 24
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Just a Walk

They were talking about some mission dealing with prisoners being broken from the Mines, and three guesses as to who would be desperate and yet organized enough to do such a thing; the first two guesses didn't count. From his father's tone it had to be the Qe'Dreki and Vaughn felt his skin prickle at the thought of those rebels. Wordlessly he took the textbook from his father's hand and tucked it under one arm.

His eyes, sleepy before, had turned sharp.

He didn't want Malcolm to go after them, it should be Vaughn himself... but he wasn't Iron Hand and he knew it. He gave Violet a blank smile when she spoke and dismissed herself, watching as she sashayed her way down the hall.

"What a vixen," Vaughn remarked once she was gone, testing his father's reaction, and then said, "If I promise to be a good student," was that what he was here for? "Can I go with you to hunt down those bastards? It's the Qe'Dreki, isn't it." Not a question. "Will..." he swallowed. "Will Marcus be there?"

He had little interest in the Mines themselves. But the rest of it he felt inexorably attached to. He had to; his mother and Marcus had made him. He had spent seasons with the Qe'Dreki against his will. For what they had done he wanted them scrubbed from the land.

And one man in particular. "Will Yoreth Blackwood be there?" he asked. "Or do you think they're still with the Faction?" He didn't know what he wanted more: for his brother and that monster to be caught and tried, or for Marcus to get away, despite all he had done. He didn't know if he wanted to see his brother hanged.

He was almost entirely certain he didn't.
word count: 314
Malcolm
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 179
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Just a Walk

Malcolm too watched Violet make her way to the door, and smiled, not at the woman, but his son. “You like her?” Malcolm sounded hopeful, Vaughn was at that age where he should be thinking about starting his own family, and Malcolm was more than happy to arrange a match up.
The topic took a turn and Malcolm frowned. Not only did he not want to risk his only son, but without Vaughn being a part of the hand, there was no way he would be permitted to tag along on such a mission. “I don't think either of them would risk being caught in the open like that…” he said honestly. Both Yoreth and Marcus were smart men, more than happy to have thousands die for their cause, as long as they survived.
Malcolm pointed to the book, hoping to lighten the mood. “I helped write it,” he said. “Many arcs ago now and under a different name alongside a young professor from the ice nation of Viden. He is long dead now, but I think you will find his theories interesting, especially the one about Scörn’s siblings and the scar in the sky.”
The mortalborn sat against his desk with his arms folded. Vaughn had been through a lot recently, he had to remind himself, it would not be fair of him to hound the man about his first lesson. “I'm sorry today was so dull, it was one of those tidy up sessions, still trying to figure out where my colleague left off while I was away.” Malcolm got to his feet and shifted to collect some of the papers people had left behind. “You'll make it to the next one?” He smiled, not having much more to add.
Last edited by Malcolm on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 297
Vaughn
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Just a Walk

Clear as day Malcolm had no interest in Violet, not that Vaughn could see, and he wondered what it was about Elyna that had caught his father's eye. He himself had no idea. He had been on a date with Elyna once, if it could be called that, and had come home raving about how very plain she had been. Sure most of that had been bluster, to get his mother off his and Elyna's case both. But certainly there had been nothing there between them.

“You like her?”

And speaking of getting people off his case: "Do you?" he asked, a quick follow-up to redirect Malcolm from trying to set Vaughn up with the pretty blonde. Any man with eyes could see Violet was a looker but any man with eyes could also see she had no interest in him. And he had little interest in her, not with the way she went after his father.

What he did have interest in was the Qe'Dreki... but it seemed Malcolm was steering them away from that conversation as well. Vaughn had it in him to be angry at that for a brief moment. He had as much of a right to the Qe'Dreki as Malcolm did. Perhaps more. Then the anger faded as he yawned.

"'Twasn't dull," he said, through the yawn, then smiled at the seeming incongruity. "Late night." He wondered if he had any bruises in evidence. He had been up brawling and drinking and smoking. Then again surely his father knew that.

"You'll make it to the next one?" was met with a sharp look and another answering prod, "And if you find Marcus you promise you won't kill him."

He didn't know why he said it and the surprise must have been clear on his face. There was a moment of silence.

"I had a dream while I was sleeping," he said then, gesturing up towards the rows of seats. He hadn't, but what did it matter? Dream or not, he could put fear easily to words. "Marcus was hanging by his neck and people were pushing swords into his side and laughing at him. It was you at that rock all over again." He didn't know why he said that either, but he did. "Mother was there."

As if coming out of a funk he shook his head. Then, in a much lighter tone said, "Chapters one and two for next class. If you wanted me to read your silly book you could have just asked." He patted Malcolm on the shoulder and started to make his way away from his father's desk.
word count: 450
Malcolm
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 179
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Just a Walk

“Yes,” Malcolm said, “I think I'll run away with her.” It was evident by the look on his face and the tone of his voice that he had no interest in doing any such thing. “I know I shouldn't meddle, that was your mother's job,” the warden pushed a few papers across his desk as he spoke, “but I too hope you'll find a good match in future.” Was that to say he thought Violet was a good match? Well like Vaughn, he had eyes.
Late night, Vaughn had said. Late night, Malcolm had gathered. In a way he envied his son, longevity would never be his curse, and so he could indulge, be reckless, live on a whim from time to time, and what did it matter? If his teeth fell out and his liver gave up, he might suffer for a decade or so into old age, and then it would be all over. It wasn't tomorrow, or even the next twenty years that Malcolm planned for, but so much more.
Marcus came up then, and the words that followed stung the man. Kill Marcus? Could he? Would he even then? Malcolm blinked away his surprise and felt his stomach tighten, what kind of thing was that to say? He didn't respond in gesture or words.
The scars on his chest burned all of the sudden, and Malcolm snapped back to reality at the mention of his silly book. He looked down, Vaughn had already turned away. Had he stayed, the book might have been snatched from his grasp and thrown into the desk drawer. Malcolm closed his eyes and the sea roared in his ears, he had always been at peace there, down by the shore. When he opened his eyes again, Vaughn was gone, but his heart was still racing. Did he know what pain he caused the man?
word count: 319
Vaughn
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Just a Walk

Malcolm had not promised not to kill Marcus and as Vaughn walked away he picked up pace. Faster and faster til he reached the door. It might have slammed behind him, he wasn't sure and he wasn't sure Malcolm would have noticed if it had. Then he was jogging, no dashing down through the halls. Out into the bright sun. Blinded by the light and fresh air. He stopped at once when he found lawn and bent at the waist, breathing hard and feeling the ache in his ribs from where he'd nearly had the stuffing beaten out of him last night. Head pounding once more.

The book was still clutched in one hand and he looked down at it. Not sure why he had said the things he had, but they had needed to be said. Marcus had gone after Malcolm; there was something there between father and eldest son. Malcolm had written that Marcus had poisoned him and Vaughn still didn't know who was lying and who was telling the truth. Perhaps all of them were lying and he didn't know why or what had happened to make it this way. He abruptly wished that his mother was here, but she wouldn't have explained anything either.

One thing was certain: because Malcolm had not promised, Vaughn would have to find some way to keep his father and brother from tearing each other apart the next time they met.
word count: 246
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Just a Walk

Violet

Points!:

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 5/ 5
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

Cosmetology: Dressing to impress
Cosmetology: Clothes are weapons
Detection: Small details of an impressive form
Etiquette: Let yourself in?
Interrogation: Straight to the point
Linguistics: Homophone
Linguistics: Difference between two sounds in a language
Malcolm: Nice abs
Malcolm: Mission to Hunter's Pass and possibly Endor
Seduction: Props can be very helpful
Seduction: Oh, I'll just suck my finger....
Seduction: Rearranging clothes

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA
Devotion:
NA
Magic:
These points may NOT be used for arcana
Malcolm

Points!:

Knowledge:

Etiquette: It's rude to keep guests waiting on the door
Linguistics: Homophones
Teaching: Get students to list examples
Teaching: Starter activities
Teaching: Rules
Vaughn: Not exactly late, but not entirely on time
Vaughn: Fell asleep in your class
Vaughn: Thinks Violet is a vixen
Violet: Seems to really like apples
Violet: Came into the house, even though you told her to wait outside

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA
Devotion:

Magic:
Vaughn

Points!:

Knowledge:

Etiquette: The joy of ignoring etiquette and going straight for blunt.
Linguistics: Draketh: Facts about it in a class
Malcolm: Pleased to see you in class
Malcolm: Going on a mission to do with the Qe'dreki
Malcolm: Wouldn't promise not to kill Marcus
Resistance: The joy of a good hangover
Resistance: The morning after a party dry-mouth
Violet: Fancies your dad
Violet: A little bit obvious
Violet: Trying to get Malcolm's attention
Violet: A vixen

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA
Devotion:
NA
Magic:

Overview:

Story Wow! Great thread - I really enjoyed reviewing it! I loved, absolutely loved, the interjection of Vaughn into the mix. Violet was being so obvious, Malcolm was being so determined not to notice, and then in saunters Vaughn and just completely spoke it how he sees it to them both. Great thread I had lots of fun reading it!
Structure No major issues, a couple of "muscle memory" typos like "diffident" instead of "different" that sort of thing, but nothing to write home about, might just be worth a quick proof read in future. Lovely writing all three!

Please do PM me if you think I've missed anything or you have any questions!
word count: 400
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”