Hand of Life: Mission Impossible [part 2]

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Aeon
Race: Human
Profession: Hero :|
Renown: 183
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

13th of Ashan
Just outside Rhakros
Afternoon

It had been 8 painful trials of travel from Ne’haer, but the young swordsman and his peculiar rented mount were nearing the forest Tehnuk had talked to him about. At a glance, Aeon would appear the same way as he always was, cloaked, hooded, ready for anything, but if someone were to look closer it would become apparent that something was missing. He wasn’t carrying the longsword he so valued. This was because of one specific fact. He was going to get ambushed. He was going to get attacked by a greater number of foes than he could slay, and he would get captured, eventually.

They appeared out of nowhere, lots of them, if it wasn’t for my small size and quick speed, I would’ve been captured along with my friends, he could recall the tunawa saying to him as they were moving towards Rhakros a trial before. That was when they came up with the plan they had. It was a detailed plan, in multiple stages, but one that would surely work.

We need to get into the city first. You can do it on that hawk of yours, but I’ll have issues. We need to find a way to get me in there, then you can come in too, with my protection. He could hear his own voice echoing within his mind as he walked down an old path that didn’t appear to be there just a few breaks ago. It was just as Tehnuk had described it. Can that mount of yours carry my sword? I have an idea

A loud yell interrupted the young man’s train of thoughts, as one man with a spear came running out of the forest. It was beginning. After him, came another, then another, until there were twelve men standing all around Aeon. The boy didn’t seem too worried, he was smiling in fact, as they shouted commands and made him walk in the direction he was already moving in, towards the city. Just according to plan.

If I can get captured, I’ll be led right to your companions, and we’ll have an opening to do something. But if I have my sword during that time, they’ll take it away. I’m gonna need you to carry it and get it to me on that hawk of yours, can you do that? If I can get my sword once I’m inside, I can break free and also get all of your friends out. We’ll have trouble getting out of the city though. The final thought echoed in the boy’s mind as the sounds of waterfalls became louder and louder, and the distance between the Rhakrosians and himself, and the city became smaller and smaller.

”Who are you and what do you want?” One of them finally shouted in Common, and apparently he was good with the language, since neither the accent nor the word choice seemed off to Aeon. Perhaps Common was also spoken in Rhakros, beside that language they were using trills ago?

”My name is Aeon, and I’m here to warn you. You have one trial to live. Use it well.” He said, calm and collected like never before. It was this adrenaline that gave Aeon the stability he had. The thrill of adventure, of danger. He lived for that, and he would, undoubtedly, die because of it. One trial, but not yet.

”Was that a threat? Are you threatening the good people of Rhakros? Look at him men, he has half a face and no hand, and thinks he can threaten us. The stupid Aiseiri think they can get to us. Your games won’t work! Take him away!” The man who was, apparently, the Rhakrosians’ leader shouted as they walked into the city through a small gate, barely big enough for three people at a time. The next thing the boy remembers was waking up in one of the dungeons, with quite a headache. The plan had worked, now it was all up to Tehnuk.
Off Topic
8 trials worth of rent for the mount deducted.
word count: 700
ImageImage
"A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down"
Jade
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Prophet
Renown: 0
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Calling it a dungeon was more of a compliment than anything, for the place the young warrior found himself in was dark and foul. The smell of the jungles and nature didn’t find its way down within these depts, and the torchlight hanging from the wall down the corridor provided little light for him to see, even with his one good eye.

The chamber he’d been stuffed in was small and empty, the only comfort being that of a pot that sat in the far corner, seemingly already filled… The walls were made of dirt and rock, appearing as if they’d been carved out with force and settled around Aeon on all four sides. The entrance to the cell was that of a wooden door that was secured to the rock face with tight, metal welding and had small metal bars as a window to the corridor beyond.

There wasn’t much one could see beyond the window, but it was obvious enough that navigating to this dark place would be difficult.

From the darkness spurred the sounds of movement, drawing attention to a corner of the cell that was bathed in shadow. The gruff noise of a weak, female voice called slowly from the abyss.

“You’re awake...” She whispered.

Upon closer inspection, Aeon would be able to see a woman meshed into the wall of the cell. Unlike most creatures, this woman was extremely odd looking. Her form was naked and looked humanoid, however, her features were almost completely that of a plant’s. Her skin was rough looking— like tree bark, while her hair looked almost like soft, yellow grass. The only thing that appeared human were her eyes and the pillows of her lips. What was ever stranger were the branches and leaves growing from her, rooting themselves into the ground and walls around her.

“It is… their doing.” Came an exhausted response before he could utter a word. “They are a merciless people…”
word count: 331
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Aeon
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

It was a minor complication, that's what it was. He thought as he finally awoke from a nice sleep and looked around to see that he was somewhere underground. Or at least, somewhere decently covered by ground. His brain started working on how the tunawa could get to him with a hawk, but no solution came. He was apparently trapped, and the people that trapped him had predicted he would make a move to escape.

You're awake He heard the voice coming from behind him and jumped. Aeon wasn't quite expecting company, especially not in the form he had received it in. He was utterly surprised when he looked behind him to see a woman-like figure meshed into the wall. She looked an awful lot like Tehnuk, except she was of normal size and not tiny. Perhaps she knew how one could get out? Surely not, considering whoever had captured the young swordsman knew she was going to be talking with him.

"What-...Who are you? And who are they?" He presumed she meant the people of Rhakros, but he needed to check, just to be sure, before coming closer to her to inspect her plant-like features. "Do you know where we are?" He asked finally, before returning to the window of the holding cell to look through it and see no hope. He had been in more hopeless situations before, and survived, Aeon had no doubt he would get out of this one as well. "Is there anything you know of the outside? How deep underground are we, for example?" He stayed calm and collected, after all, for someone who witnessed the Immortals performing torture, a simple holding cell was nothing.
word count: 287
ImageImage
Jade
Prophet of Old
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

The woman watched him with hazy, tired eyes. She looked as though she would expire any minute, but whether into sleep or death, none could be certain. A slow blink saw her bow her head, but it hung oddly in place as a root had sprouted from her head sometime before their encounter and dug its way into the wall.

“Kih...anna…” She breathed out in a whisper, “My name, I almost forgot it.”

“They are the people… The Guards… The Citizens.” Kihanna lifted her head back up, watching the soldier move towards the door. “I know not the path, nor the place… I only know that they will come, and you will fight… And they will win.”

Voice gruff, raspy, and weak, a sigh escaped her throat, riding on the back of words, “There is no life here… there is no death. There is only torture.” A moment of silence would provide the man ample time to respond with his own reasonings and questions. She would ignore it all, her mind obviously faded by time as a warped hand reached out, snapping and pulling against branches, roots, and vines. “Please,” her voice broke as thick tears fell down her tree-like cheeks and, for an instance, she seemed coherent and conscious, “Please kill me. I can’t.. Can’t go on like this. Please. Please...”
word count: 226
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”J.R.R. Tolkien
Aeon
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kihanna, it certainly wasn't a human name, meaning she wasn't a human woman, back when she was a woman. Maybe she wasn't human, but she was depressing. Aeon tried not to think about her words or look at her too much, because the more he did, the less hope he still had in his eyes, the less of a soul still remained in his chest. Instead, he decided to look out the window of the holding cell in hopes of finding something helpful, and he was determined to think strategically, critically, because, in truth, this was a critical failure. Tehnuk had never even mentioned the possibility of an underground prison, but Aeon knew he couldn't blame the tunawa for not having enough knowledge on the subject.

"I don't plan on losing. " He simply replied to Kihanna's prophecy while still gazing out the one last hope he had. They would have to come eventually, they would come to give him water, and food, and that would be when he attacked. If one guard came alone, he would strike and surely overwhelm him with brute force, if two or more came he would need to be smart about it. They probably had more of those narcotic darts with them, perhaps he could use those, if he found them in time, he thought. Aeon wasn't going to give up, not now, not ever, it was only a matter of when and how he would get out of there.

Then she pleaded for the gift of mercy, and Aeon, being the knight he was, couldn't simply stand and ignore her any longer. He turned around on his heels and looked at her with a confused gaze. "Listen to me, I am going to get out of here, and when I do, I will come back for you." He said, unsure of whether his promise was valid or not, considering him getting out of there was still up for debate. But one thing was for sure, he wouldn't kill her, not yet at least. If she, however, desired death over freedom, he would think about it. "This torture ends. I promise."
word count: 365
ImageImage
Jade
Prophet of Old
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Kihanna watched him, noticed how he seemed distant, put off, unwilling to truly focus on her. It was as though he thought the darkness she lived in would slowly consume him too, should he turn his eyes to her. But his courage and confidence rose up to beat back the fear he felt, and when he turned, he seemed more settled than he was previously, determination ringing in his voice.

“Why.. are you so certain..? Many have found themselves… where you now stand. They too… made plans… they could not keep.” She tried to laugh but it came out as a scratchy cough, “You… cannot offer promises you… have no faith in keeping. Life holds… no promises. Only death… So, please.” Glassy eyes turned back to him, growing weak with exhaustion. She had not the energy to say more.
word count: 139
Aeon
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

For a brief trill, the boy considered it. He considered simply snapping her neck and ending her misery right there and then. He thought about whether or not what she said was true. Whether he really couldn't keep the promises he was making. Whether he was going to make it out of there in the first place. But then he kicked in again. The hero within, the man that lighted the boy's path, and it was obvious what he should do. The monster inside him also showed him a path, but that path wasn't nearly as bright and blinding as the one the hero pointed him towards.

"No." He simply answered, looking more confident than before as he smiled. That was the true Aeon, the one that smiled in the face of danger, even death, not the one that backed away scared, not knowing whether he was going to make it. The one that flew into hundreds of Naerikk in hopes of turning the tide of battle, instead of cowering behind and hoping it all goes well. "You're wrong. Life holds the same promises as death, death is simply the easier way out. And right now, we shouldn't think about the easiest way out, but the hardest. The right way. I am going to get out of here, and then I'm going to get you out of here, no matter what it takes. Now it is up to you whether or not you're going to help me do it, or if I will have to do it by myself." He finished, turning around once more to look through the window in hopes of finding a living person out there. Not even a friendly person, just someone who was alive.
word count: 296
ImageImage
Jade
Prophet of Old
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

When the warrior said his peace and turned from her, emerald eyes grew brighter as the sound of cracking and shifting earth echoed beneath the floor. Branches, tree roots, vines, and leaves spread out across the room of the cell, seeming to reach for the man by the door, only to move around him and pry the wood and iron apart till the lock broke and the door swung open.

When Aeon would look back, Kihanna would appear to be more of a living puppet, formed out of what nature could conjure. There was a familiarity in her appearance, however, as her features had shifted. His attention on the puppet would distract him long enough for a branch to reach out and curl around his forearm, dragging it up into the vines and leaves as it would tighten enough around the nub, where his hand use to be, to cause him to wince in pain. Tiny wooden needles would pierce his flesh, reaching to connect and fuse with the nerve endings there until, as the bits passed, the process would be complete and he could free his arm from such a painful entrapment.

As he would look to his hand, however, he could see the merge of living wood fused with flesh, just past the middle of his forearm, that crawled up to form a wooden hand where his real one use to be. Green glowing veins would pulse beneath the layer of bark and the soldier would find that if he thought to flexed or curled his hand, it would do so. Though he could not feel anything from it, he could use it as a weapon.

“Life is a curious thing.” The voice was different, stronger, more powerful. It echoed around the room, seeming loud and soft all at once. “From your mind, you may conjure a weapon into your palm, but this may only defend you. Nothing more.” The puppets lips would never move while the voice inside the room grew quiet.

Then, quite suddenly, the forest that had sprung up inside the room began to rot and decompose into dirt and dust, the cell door hanging open for Aeon to exit through.

Beyond the door was a winding hallway that split into three different corridors with a staircase leading up. The staircase was dark, suggesting it didn’t lead to the outside world. One corridor smelled putrid while dripping noise sounded from a distance down the middle one. The last corridor held nothing special in particular.
Off Topic
Heya! Just a note, you've got a magically wooden hand now! Yay! You can use it to create any weapon you can think of, but that weapon will be made out of the same material as what your hand is made out of. So no metal, sorry! Aeon won't be able to kill anyone with the weapons either, as they'll just break or won't cut the people. But feel free to seriously hurt people! You can do that :D
word count: 503
Aeon
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Just as the young swordsman thought he had seen a figure in the hallway, a strange sound erupted from behind him, and before he could look back, vines and roots of all kinds were surrounding him and the room appeared to be in the middle of a forest. Before he could react, the vines and roots took hold of the lock on the door and ripped it off, causing the door to open abrutly outwards, just before Aeon could mutter out a word or two.

"What in the.." But as he said that and turned around, surprise caught him off guard when he saw the marionette of the forest that was just begging to be relieved of her miseries a couple of moments earlier. It was magnificent, how it all turned around so quickly into something so beautiful, but even that thought wouldn't stick long in his mind as the roots and vines that previously opened the door now encircled him and captured his left arm.

Any words that he might have said were made inaudible from the grunt that came afterwards, as the pain found its way through his body. What in the name of the seven is happening?! He thought as the wood punctured his skin and entered his body, melding and combining itself with him. The pain wasn't anything special, he had felt things a thousand times worse, but the surprise was what got him, and before he knew it, bits had passed and his arm was aching like a building fell on it...again.

As he looked towards his arm just as the pain had stopped, he needed to stop himself from rubbing his eyes in disbelief. Where only air stood bits earlier, now was a hand entirely made of wood, connected with some strange magic to his forearm. Once again, Aeon decided he would say a word or two regarding what was happening, but he was once again cut off from doing so, now by the powerful voice echoing throughout the room.

"What? How?" Were all the words he could muster before imagining his sword in his hand. Whatever he was planning on saying next was now gone in the incredible moment. As if from thin air, a stick in the shape of a longsword was now standing in his open hand, which quickly closed itself to prevent its new creation from falling on the ground. The ground which was, now, starting to rot along with the rest of the room. "No, wait!" Aeon yelled out before everything around him disappeared into the dirt.

For a few moments, he simply stood there, waiting for something to happen, but then something clicked in his mind. He needed to make something happen. Within trills, he was out of the cell and holding the wooden sword within his right, sword hand and imagining another, shorter blade appearing in his left one. It was better to be safe than sorry, he thought as he reached the hallway.

Now that he had weapons, and a new hand, his mission was clear. Save the Aiseiri, get out of the prison, get back to Ne'haer. Simple enough in theory, harder in practice, considering he had no idea where Tehnuk's allies were kept, or if they were even in the same building as him. He needed to do something, so the boy simply decided to go running into the first corridor he saw, the one with the awful stench of death and decay. It was all still so hard to believe, and each time he sighted the wooden hand, he would startle himself for a moment.
word count: 607
ImageImage
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Rhakros”