• Graded • Draw me a map

Work work work - Elyna has a new assignment

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Elyna
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

The skyrider scowled at him, shaking her head once more. It was comfortable to be tucked up against him so she resumed the same seat resting her head in the curve of his shoulder. She wrapped an arm around his back for balance and tried to distract herself from the tingling sensation spreading through her fingertips. The last time it had been a full day before Simon had succumbed to poison. She’d survived it well enough for hours after, only passing the taint onto Malcolm in the night. Her head pounded and flashes of red and black darted in her vision. Elyna tried to focus on her own breathing and when that failed to keep her interest, concentrated instead on the steadier sound of Malcolms’ heartbeat.

Why had it hit her so badly? He spoke to her when her lids felt heavy to keep open and she would respond, forcing herself to step out of the lull of sleep. But it would have been easier to rest, every time she stepped aside the drag of slumber, her arm hurt more than it had before. Sharp pricks of pain replaced the fizzing sensation. She curled her arm over her chest, holding onto the opposite shoulder as it eased the sensation and slowed the spread, as though she’d broken the bone, she held it as if it was in a sling. She tried to work out why again, was it a stronger dose? Had she really lost so much weight it had hit her faster?

Perhaps the warning had been her inability to argue when he carried her into the infirmary. Simon, she remember his humour and the way he and Ronald had tackled her, tumbling her into the icy river. She remembered the shouts and groans of pain he’d made and she flinched, half-dozing. He’d been in agony when they’d arrived in Krom. She’d not been able to visit him before he died. Had that hurt too? Then what came next? She tried to remember the journey in sequence and smiled to herself. Her gaze turned on the Captain and her smile extended to him before she frowned. Self-preservation was pulling her under. She had to wake up, she couldn’t go to sleep. She clawed her way back to consciousness and gasped as the pain hit fresh. Her arm was on fire. She gripped her shoulder as tight as she could manage and shut her eyes, trying to block it out. When she managed to draw breathe she shook her head, fast “no, NO!” The young woman forced herself to look at the Captain, “d-don’t you dare…” tenfold he’d said. He’d take the pain tenfold. Tenfold the poison? No. She wouldn’t have him suffering again, not on her behalf. They could never explain it either, they’d seen him carrying her in. They’d seen her wound, they’d know. She curled her fingers in his.

“How did you get so tall?” She frowned at him “what did they feed you? Do you really not want me to come with you anymore?” She sounded hurt, and she was. She hated the idea that he would send her away, “I don’t want to be left behind. What if you need me? What if you don’t come back?” She kept talking, the words coming breathless as she struggled with the agony. Sleep beckoned again, sweet, blissful, painless sleep. It was so tempting to simply give in and drift. Why fight anyway? Magic could happen in the realms of Emea.
word count: 602
Levinia
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Doctor
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Draw me a map

Levinia’s shift had just started and she was putting on the apron that would protect her clothing which although not the highest of quality were important to her. Her hair was already covered with her bandana to protect her bright white locks from any form of splatter. It also saved her from constant washing which she dreaded. It was difficult enough to wash long hair, let alone hair that showed every sign of mess possible.

She had been working in the infirmary for a while now and already known to the staff as the white haired one. Some did know her as Levinia, however, so that was some progress. Dr. Black was still quite young but fortunately her father’s reputation helped pave the way towards getting a position and getting her proverbial foot in the door.

When the call came in for a doctor and the description of the ‘skyrider’ fell on her attention, Levinia was out and headed towards the emergency in a flash. As she ran towards the room the patient was in, she silently prayed that it was not her friend Elyna. Upon reaching the room and seeing the girl in question, Levinia let out a worried sigh. It was Elyna and she did not look well, but at least she was talking and not unconscious. Although what she was saying made little sense to Levinia.

“No, let him stay.” Levinia cancelled the nurse’s request for Malcolm to leave if he wasn’t family with a wave of her hand. “I’ll need to question him in order to treat the patient.” She turned to her friend and began to examine her gently.

“Oh, Ely, what did you get yourself into now?” The white haired little doctor murmured, then turned to the tall captain. “What happened? Please give me as much information as you can.”
word count: 311
Malcolm
Renown: 179
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

When the fair haired doctor came into the room, Malcolm was smiling at Elyna, their fingers stitched together, his thumb traced back and forth against the top of her hand. He dragged his free fingers through her hair, pulling the dark strands gently in order to keep her awake. "Green beans," he teased, "I remember eating a lot of those." In reply to her request for Malcolm to refrain from taking the injury, he nodded, it would be foolish to do such now, the nurse had already seen her.
"Where's the herbalist?" The captain's brow knotted frustratedly, "she's been poisoned, we need a herbalist!" As the doctor inquired about what had happened, Malcolm felt as if he had seen her before and remembered the name printed at the bottom of the letter she had sent him. "Levinia, I'm not sure what kind of poison they used, but you may have treated a few other knights or merchants for it recently. It's more accelerated than the stuff used in the attacks on people in the northern regions the herbalist there treated with a very strong smelling herb. Then the poison took about two days to set in or even kill, this time... we've been riding for about four breaks and she's already losing consciousness," he wished he could give the doctor more information, but the was so little to begin with, they didn't know it with is was a plant or animal based poison and last time it had been used on arrows, this time it was a blade and it seemed the poison had to get into the bloodstream in order to take effect.

Malcolm squeezed Elyna's hand and looked her in the eye, willing her to stay awake without giving breath to the words. "It's some kind of blood poison?" He suspected, "it doesn't seem to be passed through contact or air."
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 324
Levinia
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Draw me a map

Levinia narrowed her eyes at the captain and tried to pay attention to what he was saying; but it was obvious, very obvious, that he was worried about Elyna. She briefly wondered if he was worried about all his people like this, if he was then he was quite a passionate man. She doubted it, however, this was far more than concern for a colleague.

’Interesting.'

“Get the toxin expert, quickly.” Levinia ordered and watched one of the runners hurry up, but she was more than positive that one had already been sent for. The nurses were quick to form a diagnosis and know what kind of attention a patient would need. “It is a toxin, captain.” Levinia corrected mildly as she checked Elyna’s eyes and studied their reflexes. “Poison suggests ingestion, this was clearly taken in directly through the bloodstream.”

Levinia then inspected the cut to Elyna’s skin, searching for the signs of toxin. Usually it would change color as it reacted with the blood and skin. She nodded at the captain’s assumption that the toxin was not airborne. No, they would all be in trouble if it were.

A person’s body would normally try to fight it with heating itself up. Fever. Her father would call it, and so she checked Elyna’s temperature just as the herbalist arrived. He was an older man, his hair and beard the same color as Levinia’s except his was earned through age. “I’ve seen this before, yes, please, child..” He spoke quickly for his age and his blue eyes were quite clear and full of wisdom.

Levinia moved out of the way and allowed the Herbalist to take a look at Elyna, studying her just as she just had. She remained quiet though, allowing the old man to get his work done without interruptions. He began issuing orders to his apprentice and began to formulate whatever antitoxin he needed to cure Elyna.

As he did this, Levinia turned to Malcolm and looked up at him with solemn blue eyes. “Captain, if this has happened before, why don’t you carry the antivenom with you?” She licked her lips in thought, “I mean, I’m just saying, as a precaution?” The little doctor shrugged, “It could save some lives?”
word count: 383
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

Malcolm made room for the herbalist, getting to his feet to pace about the room slowly, trying not to disturb anyone’s work or make a pest of himself. When Levinia inquired about his lack of antitoxins, Malcolm scowled, they weren’t exactly handing them out to the men and women of The Iron Hand. “I don’t know if you’ve ever heard about a group called VII,” the man said, “today it is snake venom, tomorrow it is the spore of some exotic plant that only grows on the peaks of The Burning Mountains, and next season it will be something else again, so unless you have a cure for every possible toxin we might face out there, there really is little I can do.”
He was careful to say toxin instead of poison after Levinia had gone to the trouble of explaining the difference. Now though, she was questioning his competence as a leader, somewhat of a low-blow to the man. He had taken some extra antidote from the last herbalist and made the members of his unit drink it before they had left Krom, but Elyna had been skipped for reasons he couldn’t possibly divulge. He stopped, folded his arms and closed his eyes, hoping the adrenaline that had flooded his system would soon subside. “If you have extra we can take, I would be extremely grateful,” the man added.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 236
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

Elyna was caught in Malcolm's gaze, smiling at him before the Doctor arrived and she made an attempt to sit, "Levi!" She cried out, excited, as though her friend had joined them late at a bar; but the expression was quickly overcome with confusion, "why are you coming to Venora?" She sank back against the bed, gaze moving between the two. She wished that they would be nicer to each other. Lev explored her arm and found the skin hot to the touch. Elyna could feel sweat sliding down her neck but other than the intense burn in her arm, she would have told them that she felt cold. She just wanted to wrap herself up in blankets and go to sleep. Her gaze settled on the captain and she grinned suddenly- before the next man came to pull at her limb.

Elyna hissed in pain, trying to pull her arm back to her chest and protect it, but his grip was firm enough to keep her in place. He explored the thin black lines that had started spreading through the wound and carried out giving his orders. For Elyna, his arrival was blurred with the arrival of a foul tasting paste which he bade her drink.

"But that's disgusting!" She protested, "I don't want it, I'm not even hungry!" It was then she tried to get up, swinging her legs over the bed. The herbalist acted fast though and as she dropped from consciousness he pushed her back down, forcing in the antidote, washing it down with water. Another, foul smelling concoction was spread over the wound itself.
Elyna drifted, struggling to hear her friends from afar and return to them. The pain started to ease and she tried reaching up through the seas of consciousness again, blinking in the bright room she pulled her hand over her eyes, "I'm so tired, please can I go to sleep?" When had the sun come up? What break was it?
word count: 334
Levinia
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Draw me a map

Levinia looked up at the tall angry captain and forced herself not to back peddle. She realized she had hit a nerve and emotions were obviously high since both of them were worried for Elyna. The petite doctor held up her hands and nodded, working hard not to return the scowl that was being shot in her direction. "I apologize, Captain, I was only responding to your mention of the familiarity of this particular toxin. I wrongly assumed that the attackers used the same one." She lowered her hands and sighed, once again, trying not to show her own annoyance at the man's temper. Levinia was only asking questions and perhaps making suggestions as a medical provider. However, it was a man's world, if it were her father making these suggestions perhaps he wouldn't have gotten so upset. Of course she was female and she was young, perhaps she could have been a bit more diplomatic in her suggestion. It was all a learning process after all.

"No." Levinia shook her head, "I have no idea who they are, and perhaps the Herbalist does have a quick cure all. Or perhaps one of your group could act as a medic. I don't know, Captain." Her eyes did not waver from the man's face and she stuffed her hands into the pockets of the apron she was wearing and balled them into fists. "This is why I'm asking questions. Perhaps you could speak to the Herbalist in the Infirmary and they can make suggestions. All I know is that my friend was brought in gravely injured and perhaps the next person won't be so lucky."

At that moment the old Herbalist interrupted looking at the two younger faces with the impatience of a man his age, "If you two wish to continue, I suggest you step outside. This is not the place to bicker like an old married couple. However, I hope you do not, because doctor, the patient needs you to attend to her wound." He looked at the captain, his eyes almost at the same height as Malcolm's. "She's out of danger, but let her rest for a few days. She must be monitored in case a trace was left then she needs to take the antitoxin again."

Levinia let Malcolm talk to the Herbalist as she made her way to her friend's side. Her hand reached out and was placed on Elyna's forehead which was still hot. "You'll be fine, Ely." She spoke to her friend gently, and nodded to the nurse who handed her a vial of strong painkiller one that would not interfere with the Herbalist's concoction. "Drink some of this and then you can sleep. Come on, it doesn't taste bad at all." Levinia continued to stroke Elyna's hair as she finished the vial which would put her to sleep and allow her to sew up that wound. This, of course, would also prevent Ely from being in too much pain while the needle went in and out of her flesh.

As soon as Ely fell asleep she took the surgery needle and surgical thread and got to work on the wound. The Herbalist had done a very good job cleaning it and she could already see that it was going back to it's normal pink color. Her stitching was delicate, having practice on pig skin along side her brothers since she was a girl. Ely would barely have a scar at the end of it to mar her beautiful skin.
word count: 602
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

What was it about women and their need to utterly emasculate a man to make themselves feel better? Levinia had completely overstepped, not only had she painted a picture of an incompetent leader, but she was now suggesting that he employ doctors in place of knights. It was safe to say some, if not most knights had basic training in medicine, but nothing that could prepare them for dealing with poisons, loss of limb, lightning strikes, drownings, or any number of other unfortunate ends on the long list of things Levinia would in time have experience with.
Malcolm was of a mind to set her straight, perhaps next time she needed a guard’s protection she would be better to call upon her own battle knowledge, of which he assumed was just as poor as his experience in medicine, and deal with the issue herself. Instead he bit his tongue, refusing to stoop to her level, especially as his mind was focused on Elyna, the poison, and everything that had happened up until now. The last man was not so lucky, he thought of Simon and dreaded to think what he might have abandoned his unit to walk into in favour of getting the young noble woman to a doctor as quickly as possible.
The herbalist informed Malcolm that there was no magic cure for these types of things, but did give him a common antidote that would slow any toxins in the bloodstream even if it did not eliminate them completely. “There is enough in this bottle for ten men,” he told the captain, “it will slow the spread enough to get your people to a healer,” he smiled and with that, Malcolm took his leave.
103 Ashan 716
Elyna had been out for two days with the captain returning four times the first day, and twice the second before he was informed that she had awoken. He was permitted to enter the room and took a seat at her bedside with a glass of water handy for her to drink from. The young Skyrider looked tired and had admitted as much. Sure the doctor was still about somewhere, Malcolm was careful not to get too close, but did take the woman’s hand and offer a warm smile. “You’ve been asleep for some time,” he told her, “almost two trials.”
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 393
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

Elyna sat up to look around the room. Two trials? How had she been out for so long? Why did she still feel so exhausted? She squeezed his fingers gently in response before withdrawing her hand, mindful of how people might interpret such closeness. Thinking back she flinched, they hadn’t exactly been careful in hiding their affection. She had faint memories of him pushing her hair out of her face, of being wrapped in his arms as they travelled. She groaned and covered her face with her hands, flinching as the stiches in her forearm pulled.

“Did they make it to Nora’s rest?” She asked quietly, wondering if Malcolm had heard any new from their team.
Noticing them for the first time she took a moment to examine them, running a fingertip over the small bumps. It was healing well enough, the stiches were tiny. She smiled to herself, had Lev been here? She scanned the room for her tiny friend. Finding that they were temporarily alone she lay back once more, scanning the expression of the Captain, “when can I go home?”

There was so much she wanted to say to him. She could remember walking away from him in the night, she could remember the knife in the darkness and parts of the journey back, but it was vague and fuzzy, “green beans?” Elyna frowned, “why were you talking about green beans?”

She peered around him to see if she could spot the white-haired doctor, “Mal…what do we do?”
word count: 255
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Draw me a map

He couldn’t help but smile, after checking back a few times in the last day or so, it was good to see Elyna awake and hear her voice again. Quickly she inquired about the state of the mission and the people enduring it. “It will be another trial before we know anything,” he admitted, speaking in a low, comforting tone of voice, “but I have faith in Benjamin’s ability to lead and my team has run missions along that road many times before.”

When Elyna brought up the green beans, Malcolm merely laughed and responded in turn. “You asked how I got so tall, I imagine it was all the green beans,” he teased.
The noble woman stole her hand away from him, but Malcolm knew this was merely to keep up appearances; anyone could walk into the room after all. The captain’s smile dissolved as Elyna asked about going home and what they should do, he didn’t like the thought of her going back to the barracks alone with no one to look after her, of course he was sure that she had friends who would happily check in from time to time, but the doctor had ordered that she take a few days to rest and recuperate. “Why don’t you come and stay with me?” He offered, words spoken in a hushed manner. “You won’t have to think about a thing except getting better.”
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 242
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”