• Solo • [The Glass Temple] The Final Step

27th of Cylus 717

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

[The Glass Temple] The Final Step

27th Cylus 717
What a trial the one before had been. Faith had been to two classes and also she'd gone to a meeting of the Intelligentsia. However, those things weren't the things which she would remember the 26th Cylus 717 for. The main things that she had done was to help a wayward soul cross over by finding out that, beneath the university was a place where necromancers had worked. It made sense, the building had used to be a hospital and, irony piling on irony, the classroom where the majority of the medicine lectures and seminars were held had been the autopsy room. Directly below it? The morgue.

Of course it was.

Faith was going to have to deal with that, she considered. Right now, however, what she was going to have to do was take care of the bones which she had collected. So, she made her way to somewhere she had heard of and planned on going to, the Glass Temple. Arriving at the building, Faith looked up and she was completely awestruck. It was like nothing that she'd seen before with all the glass windows and the cacophany of colours running through the place.

It was beautiful.

If it was beautiful on the outside, Faith gasped in amazement and delight at the inside. The range of colours which poured in through the windows, even in the constant twilight of Cylus was truly breathtaking. What she loved, immediately, was the feeling of the place. It was reverent and there was a very genuine feeling of it being a place of genuine worship.

Stepping forward, Faith looked around and it was then that she realised that there was a small Tunawa sitting on the high table next to the doors. He looked ancient and he moved slowly ~ almost like he was going to creak like an aged tree, she thought. He waved to her and she made her way over to him, hopeful that she would be able to talk to him. She had a conundrum to solve, that was certain and she needed to solve it the best she could.

She didn't know what to do and so she had come seeking spiritual guidance.
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 371
This PC is dead. See this thread for details.
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Faith walked over and she smiled at the aged Tunawa. He really did look old, she considered but then this was only the second Tunawa she had ever seen. She smiled and dropped a curtsy to him, "Good trial. I am Faith and I..." She stopped, looking at him in some surprise as he started laughing. Not a little laugh, no, but a hearty and full belly laugh which came from his boots. He doubled over with laughter and pointed at her. Faith's eyebrow shot up and she looked at him somewhat incredulously. When he finally got himself together, he spoke although his voice was still chuckling.

"Your name is Faith?"
"Yes," she replied with a smile, "I am..."
"We're in a temple!"
"I.. I know. I wonder if you...."
"And your name is Faith. It's funny. Do you see? Faith? Temple?"
She smiled at him and wondered if he realised that it really wasn't that funny. Apparently, he didn't.
"Speak up then, girl, why are you here to see Stan?" The Tunawa asked.
"Who is Stan?" Faith was growing more confused by the trill.
"I am. Keep up. What's the problem?"

Faith sighed and sat down. "I am a devotee of Famula," she looked at him and knew that she was going to have to do something which she didn't normally do. She was going to have to simply just spill all of everything. "And I have a situation that I need help with. Could we speak somewhere private, please?"

Stan jumped up and nodded his head. "Why didn't you say so, child? Hold out your hand and we'll go together, yes?" Faith did as instructed and he directed her. The room he directed her to was a small prayer room to Famula and Faith looked around with delight. "It's beautiful, Stan," she whispered, looking around at the lanterns and the small alter. It was something which was unlike anything she'd seen and Faith put Stan down and then knelt in quiet prayer to Famula for a moment. Anything else would be fundamentally impossible and Stan didn't mind. He stood on one of the small chairs and watched the earnest young woman.

When Faith had prayed and dedicated herself, as always, to Famula's service, she moved and sat on the seat next to Stan and looked at him. "I was teaching a class at the University and I saw a soul. That whole situation led me to find an area which had been used for necromancy and necromantic purposes. I destroyed the equipment, but there were these and I need them to be clean and then given a proper burial in the name of Famula and Vri. Will you help me?" Reaching into her Domain Bag, Faith pulled out the carefully wrapped bones.

The Tunawa Stan looked at her and he raised an eyebrow. It was quite a sight, Faith considered, watching the facial expressions of a Tunawa. "You've got her mark then, girl?" Stan didn't sound either impressed or not, but he was curious, there was no doubting it.
"Yes."
"How long have you lived on Scalvoris, Famula's Faith?" Stan asked. The voice was teasing and chipper, but his gaze was serious.
"Not long. The middle of this season. We moved here from Andaris."
"We?"
Why did they always want to know so much about her personal life, Faith wondered. "We. The man I share my life with and I. Also, a four tailed cat and a glow in the dark dog."
Stan chuckled, "I like you, you've got spirit." He didn't even seem to be mocking her. "Come with me."

She put the bones back in the bag and then held her hand out again, so that he could direct her. It seemed they were going to his office.
word count: 650
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

For a few trill, Faith had wondered why it was that Stan had such a big office, what with him being a Tunawa and all, but then she realised that it was a foolish thing to wonder ~ after all, the office was for whoever was in charge of the Temple and so had to be suitable for the more likely races. He'd been more than welcoming and she was sitting at his desk, which was more or less empty because everything Stan needed was in one small space. So, she'd placed the bag with the bones reverently on the table and she sat and looked at him.

"I don't know the funerary rights and customs of this place. I have to start there." Faith spoke with her usual quiet tone and earnest gaze and the elderly Tunawa nodded.
"Over on that shelf there, third book from the left. Get that, would you?" He smiled at her as Faith moved immediately to collect the book. It was entitled, unimaginatively perhaps, Funerary Customs of Scalvoris. "You have a look through that, borrow it if you like. Usually, the body is watched for the four trials after death, but I'd say we missed that."
Faith looked at him with a disapproving gaze and the Tunawa grinned at her, wickedly, "Ah, you're young girl. Death becomes less of a serious thing and more of an old friend the closer to it you are. Now, we hold the ceremony and there must be three in attendance. I've got witnesses I call in for those with no family. It can't be you though, you've touched his corpse, it would be bad.

So, she was going to have to hand over the bones to this Tunawa and allow him to perform the ceremony. Faith didn't like it, but it was the way of this place and it was Famula's work that he did. So, she nodded. "What can I do?" It seemed like a perfectly sensible question to her, but the Tunawa simply smiled and shook his head.
"Besides destroy the necromancy and bring him here? I don't know, Famula's Faith, can you juggle?"
Faith looked somewhat perplexed but answered honestly, "No, I don't know how. "
Stan patted her on the arm. "You've done all you needed to do, girl. You brought him here. It's a good thing."
"I am Famula's servant. I serve."
"Yes, there's a lot of that about with you lot. Right. Call by again in a few breaks and it will be done, if you wish." He looked at her with a calm and kind gaze. Faith smiled and thanked him.

On her way out of the Temple, she made her way around the small prayer rooms, amazed to discover that there were rooms for every Immortal she could name and quite a few besides. When she got to the one for Vri, Faith went in and stood, before the altar in a state of quiet contemplation for a full three bits before she spoke. Her voice, when she did, was soft and tinged with emotion, "To be a slave is to not own anything. To not own anything is to have nothing to lose. I could not understand how love and sadness go together. I don't know if Tristan was right, I don't know what was real or illusion but I know what I feel." Part of Faith's make up was that she was a very disciplined young woman who very rarely showed emotions; there had been no place for them in her previous life and she had learnt for so long to not show them, to push them aside and place them into her hands. What she had come to realise in freedom was that did not mean that she was not feeling them; she was.

"I will remember. All my life." She could do nothing else, after all. She took a taper, lit it from one of the candles there and used it to light two new flames. Watching them flicker, she focused on the one on her left and she prayed to Vri for Padraig. Then, focusing on the candle on the right, she prayed that she might never forget what happened in Rharne, might learn the lessons from it and understand that from that sorrow, they emerged stronger. Then, having prayed to both Immortals, having brought the bones here in Famula's name she knew that she had done everything she could and so she left and made her way home.
word count: 773
Whisper
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller
Renown: 394
Plot Notes
Office
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Faith

Awarded Points

Story: 5/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 5/5
These points can/cannot be spent in magic

Awarded Knowledge

Necromancy: Tasks in Famula’s Name
Slavery: Nothing to Lose
Stan (NPC): The Glass Temple
Stan: Tunawa

Awarded Extras

Loot & Losses Injuries
None None
Fame Devotion
+2: Good Service to Immortals at the Temple +1 Famula: Prayer
+1 Vri: Prayer
[/color]

Comments

So I really struggled to award Knowledge in this thread... and that was uber frustrating because of how well it was written, and how much I feel I learnt about Faith! If you think I've missed something, don't hesitate to throw me a PM.

If you have any questions, comments or criticism about your review, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it.
Thank ye.
word count: 135
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”