• Closed • Sweet Tooth, Sweet Dreams

Eir and Tirta's sea voyage from Scalvoris

The Orm'del Sea is an ocean that separates Eastern and Western Idalos. It is said to have many horrors awaiting those that wish to travel through its waters.
Eir
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 11
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Sweet Tooth, Sweet Dreams

Arc 716th

122th Trial of Vhalar
Scalvoris Proper wasn't the place to be for Eir, having spent a majority of his days idle and gradually unsure of whether or not it was a good idea to stay. His hopes of acquiring a job in Scalvoris were cut short by a string of events, most of it forgotten in his quest to acquire more Nels for proper equipment. The Wayward Yaralon man was, once again, experiencing Korlasir for the second time. At least presently, there weren't fancy blades, fine armor, and the most extravagant ceremonial chariots that costed more than the merchants and their transportations used to get Eir from Yaralon to Scalvoris. It wounded his pride that, after all this time, he wasn't doing much with his growing skills.

But he remembered his encounter with Tirta, the sloop known as Sweet Tooth. Even now, as Eir gradually rises from out of the bedroll, he still remembers very little. It was probably for the best. No doubt, he might have spoken big promises while sharing some alcohol with Tirta, to seal the deal and become a crew member under the captain of the sloop. The most he could do was sigh, pray, and assume Tirta barely remembers a word. Up and attentive, his hair out of order, let loose to avoid tangling about in his tossing and turning. It was time to set sail and leave Scalvoris, on an adventure to see new faces and new people. Perhaps later, Scalvoris would be visited.

The fur coat is wrapped upon his shoulders, the thick leather hugging against his skin to provide some level of protection. The heirloom long sword is picked up from the cabin wall, nimble hands fastening the sheathe against his right hip. The last, but most important, was his hair. Eir didn't need to look to grapple with a strand of hair on the side and braid it, sliding the silver ringlet to fix his hair. Another decorative ringlet is applied to the second braid on the right side of his head, weaving it in, complete the look. The rest of the hair is merely touched with his flat palm before, at long last, Eir makes his way to the deck of the sloop.

"Okay, Captain Tirta!" Eir shouts, to let her know that the mercenary was up. Hopefully, she was a semi-early riser,"I'm good and ready to set sail! Just let me know what I need to do, I've never done sailing before!" Eir wasn't the seafaring type, but that did not mean he couldn't learn. Curiously walking the deck, glancing around as he makes his way towards the mast, Eir gently places his right hand onto the rope. He tilts his head back, un-nerved by the mere sight of just one mast, now that he was able to freely walk the deck instead of being vigilant for trouble. The trip out of Scalvoris seemed like such a daunting task, the more he stared at the main sail. Tirta had assured him she did this by herself, the very thought alone stirred his competitive spirit.
"Tirta sailed this by herself... I could probably do it too, if I knew how. to do it..."
Eir mumbles to himself, grumbling at the thought of somehow becoming a one man sloop pilot.
word count: 562
Tirta
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Pirate
Renown: -10
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Image[/center]
“It is about time you woke up mate,” Tirta stated, standing on the deck of the sloop with her hands on her hips. The wind was blowing gently southwards, in the direction that they were planning on going. This day was starting out right. She pointed to a towel set on a barrel. It was folded over to protect the food that was under it from fluttering off into the ocean. When he opened it, he would find an orange and a slice of bread.

“Rule number one of the open seas,” Tirta began, holding up her index finger. "Always have a hearty breakfast. You'll need it to keep up with me. Rule number two; Make sure you eat a well rounded meal at every meal. I will throw you overboard if you get scurvy. I have no use for sick men."

Tirta was going to be a hard captain, but in the end, it was for his benefit. She hated her vegetables, so fruit was the alternative to get the extra vitamins and nutrients that she required. While he ate, Tirta proceeded tidy of the deck of the sloop. She had already folded up and put the hammock away. With Biqaj blood, she preferred to sleep on the deck in the rope bed rather than retire below deck. This made it easier to allow Eir to sleep downstairs. They were both comfortable this way. "So tell me, Mr. Crestwind. What are you capable of doing on a ship?"
word count: 251
Eir
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

At least Tirta was nice enough to give him the fruits to stave off scurvy, rather than expect him to go fruit-hunting in the middle of Vhalar, just two trials before Zi'den's arrival. Eir swiftly moves to the breakfast, moving the towel aside before taking the bread first. It is scrutinized, to ensure the bread was completely safe to eat. There was no telling what accidental surprises he might uncover. After a moment of waiting, Eir finally proceeds to chow down on the bread. "That's some good bread..." Eir takes a moment to swallow before he speaks, soon turning his attention to the orange, peeling it as the last bit of bread finds its way down his throat.

"You at least offer food... And not the stale kind that is a mere day from growing mold." The last merchant, right before his ship got raided, was awfully stingy with his Nel and his food. "I am a mercenary. I fight, I guard, I lift things up and I put them down." Eir gestures with both hands, his right hand still holding the orange as he lifts an imaginary box and settles it down onto the barrel. "As for capable of doing stuff on a ship... I am not quite sure. But, if you are willing to show me the ropes, I'm sure I'll figure out something."

That is, unless Tirta is content with him just being another body to defend Sweet Tooth. Eventually, Eir turns his attention back onto the mast, peeling the orange as he goes before taking a bite out of the first exposed juices of the fruit. "What about the uhh... Mast thing, with the rope. I'm confident in myself to know how to handle that, at least." Rigging the sails looked easy enough, Tirta could spend more time at the wheel instead of worrying about the sail.
word count: 318
Tirta
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Image[/center]
“You did not sail with a good captain, if that is the case,” Tirta snorted, picking up the end of a coiled, hemp rope. While he ate and looked around the ship, she occupied her hands with knot practice. She dragged the end in and out deftly, forming knot after knot from memory. When he continued on his tirade, she undid them, knowing exactly where she was going to go with todays lesson. Knots. Every sailor had to know how to tie a secure knot. A ship's sail was held down by knots, and she could not have him threatening their trip because he did not know his way around a rope.

“Since you are happy to learn, I am happy to teach. Here,” Tirta chirped, tossing him the end of the rope. It unfurled from its neatly stacked loops on the ground, a good eight feet of rope between them on the docks. She had not found need to cute the rope into bits, but she might consider it if he wanted to take some below deck to practice this evening. Tirta reach into the stacked rope, grabbing the other end and leaning against the railing of the sloop.

“You are right. It is called a mast. That is the big, wood column that comes up from the center of the Sweet Tooth. The big sail is the 'mainsail' and the little sail is the 'jib.' To move the mainsail, you move the boom. I won't concern you with other lingo today, but you should know those things if you plan on running the sails for me,” Tirta purred gently, moving towards him with a pep in her step. Her hips swung side to side in an unconscious sultry swing. She sidled up next to him, smiling. Seafoam colored hair blew in the wind as the ship moved easily through the waters. "To hold the boom in place, you need to know how to tie a knot. Let's start with the bowline."

She did not really explain the process of the knot, but she moved her hands slowly. She formed a small loop, leaving enough rope for the desired loop size. Tirta then passed the end of the rope through the loop as though making an overhand knot. She continued around the standing end and then back through the small loop, tightening the knot by pulling on the extra rope. "This is a knot that will come undone easily, unless there is a load on the opposite end. Don't ever use it if the weight on the other end will move freely, because it may come undone."
word count: 443
Eir
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

There was hardly a captain, as far as Eir was concerned. He was paid to guard and fight, not to learn how to handle seafaring tasks. Despite this, Eir does not shy away from the end of the rope tossed his way, holding it in his hands. At first, Eir seemed ready to put it into a knot, until he remembers his lack of knowledge and skill regarding such a task. Thankfully, before Eir reacts to the rope on impulse, Tirta was right besides him, to assist in the bowline knot.

"I can handle the Lingo, captain. Just as long as you're in the explaining mood when ever you're using the words." Questions formed inside of Eir's skull, but his attention was moreso upon Tirta's hands as they move with a slow enough pace for his eyes and his mind to see as much detail as possible. Carefully, Eir's eyes dart away from Tirta's hands to glance upon his own pair. Tying knots was an effortless affair for the one woman sloop pilot. But for Eir, tying the bowline knot required aptitude he just didn't quite have. His fingers loop the knot, weaving it significantly different than what Tirta had it as.

"The bowline knot seems easy enough... I just need some more time spent practicing it." Eir didn't mind speaking up, seafaring was not his forte. "I understand how to do it, I just need a few more minutes to get the basics pat down." Eir pulls the loose knot free, to start over again as he proceeds to start over from the beginning. A moment is taken, a hesitant pause as Eir gets halfway through the Bowline knot. "Aside from tying just the bowline knot, what other tasks will I need to accomplish?" Eir's eyes dart up from his working hands to glance over in Tirta's direction. His eyes return to his hands, just in time to see the mediocre bowline knot formed, after diligently keeping at it.

"So? What's next? I believe I am ready for the next step." Eir gently tugs upon the extra rope, noticing that Tirta was tightening the knot, feeling as if he should do the same. The knot in his hands is dropped from his hands, eagerness abound as Eir awaits the next instruction the captain had in store for him.
word count: 400
Tirta
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Image[/center]
"Well, lets continue practice then. I won't load you with too many knots. That would just make your mind all jumbled up," Tirta purred brightly, throwing her end of the rope back towards the pile. She probably should have coiled it like a good pirate, but she decided to see what he would do with his end. Having coiled rope was convenient for the ship. Having knotted rope was inconvenient for things like throwing a line for an overboard comrade.

She took to the helm, taking her compass into her palm. She had tied it with a bit of rope to the wheel to ensure that she didn't lose it and that it was conveniently nearby. Mostly so that she didn't lose it. Her white pants were not appropriate for carrying items as she had no pockets. The arrow was just off of the mark to south. They were heading in the right direction, but the winds were changing. "Mr. Crestwind. Be a dear and pull in the sail. We don't want the winds to pull us off course. It will be a little slow going without them, but at least the current will take us down to Blackbrine."

As long as the winds and current continued to be in their favor, they would be able to make it down to the southern pirate city without much of a problem. Once Eir had figured out which rope it was, untied it, pulled the sail up, and retied it, she would feel much more at ease. She busied herself with standing there and holding the wheel steady while he went about his job. It probably would have been smart of her to show him exactly what to do, but messing with the sail could mess with their course if someone was not at the helm.
word count: 309
Eir
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Eir scoffs at the idea of getting his mind jumbled up. He was confident in his ability to retain instructions, even if this was his first time handling the sails as they go along. But the more he continues to handle the knots that Tirta had given him, the more his confidence proceeds to wane. This was only a sloop with just one main sail, yet she was able to sail where she needed to be, all by herself. His attention onto the sail drifts away, until Tirta calls out an order that he must follow.

"Pulling the sail!" Eir makes sure that Tirta is able to hear him, as he proceeds to untie one of the ropes. His gaze trails upwards, to make sure he's gotten the right one. Carefully, the rope is made loose, pulling upwards upon it to get it just as Tirta requested. With a grunt and a careful tug, Eir proceeds to slowly input the knot. There's certainly a struggle with making sure his fingers don't get caught, but Eir eventually gets the knot done. It was poorly fitted and not quite rigid, but it looked solid enough to hold, provided, harsh winds didn't blow.

"Sail pulled!" Eir returns his attention back to the knot in question, noticing the difference between his knot and the knots Tirta was able to perform. The contrasting difference was enough to put a large dent into the armor Eir called his pride. But rather than grumble it over, he instead, carefully toys with the knot.
"I just need to fix this knot, is all... Looks horrible..."
Eir murmurs to himself, struggling to undo the knot made with his own hands.

The knot is pulled loose, but Eir grips the rope with his might, returning his attention back to tying in the knot. It irked the mercenary to see how poorly his knot looked, it was a mistake he needed to correct. His hands proceed to bumble about with haste, only to produce an even more horrendous and loose knot than before. Eir grits his teeth, pulling it loose before he, again, bundles the rope back into the knot he had previously. A third attempt was ready to be made, for Eir refused to be beaten by mere rope.
word count: 383
Tirta
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Image[/center]
"You okay down there Mr. Crestwind?" Tirta called out, checking the compass again. They were still heading south, so he had managed to control the sail rather well. It was tucked up neatly against the mast and didn't seem to waver despite his current inability to get a knot placed. He's strong enough to old the sail and practice. I definitely didn't learn that way, but I have to focus too much to keep the sail from falling. It was something she had to acknowledge and work around, being a female. Having natural strength was to Eir's benefit.

Deeming the ship on course and stable, Tirta came around the helm again. She briefly thought about casting the fishing net out as she was going to need to catch dinner if they planned on having protein this evening. Trailing the net alongside the boat meant it had the chance of catching swimmers that came to close to the moving ship. She doubted it would do anything while moving, but she didn't want to drop anchor until they slowed down a little bit. Besides, it was probably too deep for her small anchor to hit the ocean floor. Instead of risking the loss of her net, she elected to wait until they slowed down or came closer to shore. Protein would have to wait. Instead, she peered over the boat to watch the water.

Ever since her initiation into the art, she felt a special bond with water. She felt it, cascading along the boat and driving them true south. Hare had mentioned that the elements would continue to grow in their strength as the bond was perfected. She only needed time and practice. She looked over her shoulder at Eir, diligently working at the knot. Now was not the time.

"Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself Mr. Crestwind?" Tirta called out, rotating until her palms were sitting on the rail of the ship and her lower body was stretched out. She was in the perfect pose for working out her triceps, and she playfully moved her body and and down to stretch out her shoulders. She needed constantly do something to keep her mind focused, be it chatting, exercise, eating, or sailing.
word count: 381
Eir
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

While Tirta might not have Eir's strength, she certainly had the dexterity and coordination that make the knots on the sail safe and secure. Even though the knot was just barely passing safety standards, Eir couldn't stand the sight of the sloppy knot. It needed to look moderately good, to put his mind at ease. He would have continued, had Tirta not call for his attention. Eir ties the knot for one final time, leaving it be, as mediocre as he could get it.

"Just a bit of rope trouble! Nothing I can't fix!" Eir calls out from the deck, a short wave of his hand while his back is kept at the mast. "My rope handling skills are coming along. No need to worry yourself." Though, his mind soon drifts to distant memories, of the time before Scalvoris. Eir gently taps his chin with the back of his thumb's nail, recalling specific events, the type that Tirta might be more interested than the cold, boring ones. His left wrist flickers into a zig-zag, fingers snapping the moment he hits his stride in getting his memory jogging.

"I remember telling you about how I got here, yes?" Eir circles around, before he eventually turns his attention back up to Tirta. "I had spent the last of my Nel in Korlasir, I needed money and I needed it soon. I also needed to get out the city... Looking at all those fancy weaponry made my sword feel inadequate. A merchant was setting up shop and getting ready to sail across to the Eastern Idalos. He needed eight mercenaries, but couldn't afford the best money could afford... Or rather, he didn't want to. So, he hired what mercenaries were either willing to work cheap, free, or just won't worth a ton of gold Nels." Eir pauses momentarily, fingers curling around the pommel before his hand grips the handle.

"I was on the deck, watching the merchant's sailors work. I even got to chat with one about ships, but we barely moved passed the basics that I could remember." Eir's lips eventually dip into a frown, his hands removed from the sword's hilt, both arms crossed in front of his chest. "Pirates boarded, while the waves were rough. I hardly had the time to draw my sword before the fight started. They were climbing up aboard, left and right, all of them out for blood and Nel. I managed to put down two before they started to over-run the ship. The ship tilted one side and I lost my footing, hit the railing and then fell over board." Eir gestures with his hands, two fingers jumping off the side of his right palm and into the waters below. He even throws in a 'plop' sound to add to the authenticity to his story.

"I washed ashore, bought some basic necessities... And then, Gunvorton got attacked. I was just talking to a Mer and then these... Shades came out of the water and stirred a panic." Eir pauses once more, throwing on a bit of a puppet show for Tirta, fingers worming them way to better examplify the creatures he had witnessed. "They dragged the Mer girl into the water, so I jumped in after her, handed the spear she dropped so she could fend for herself. That was when we saw them just forming at the deepest part of the sea, swimming their way towards us. The Mermaid was able to out-swim them, but she couldn't walk on land since she had no feet, just a tail." Eir slowly presses a hand into his back, to emphasize just how heavy the Mer was. He sighs and he groans, leaning forward shortly before standing back up.

"I had to lift her onto my back. Those shadows were hot on my heels. They started swiping at my clothes, cutting into my skin. So, I ran. I ran through all the chaos, all the fighting, straight into the stables. I put the Mer into the wagon, got into the coach's seat, then rode out of town while all the fighting took place. We went straight for Scalvoris Proper. And the rest... Welll..." Eir returns to smiling once more, gesturing with two hands in Tirta's direction before both of them came confidently onto his sides.

"I don't have to remind you of how we got here, do I?"
word count: 748
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Orm'del Sea”