• Solo • (Skye Verath Lodge) A gift to give

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Kylar
Race: Immortal
Profession: Mercenary/Skyrider
Renown: 27
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

(Skye Verath Lodge) A gift to give

11th Zi'da

Kylar walked through the training grounds, heading for where he normally trained with his crossbow. The bird sat on the glove, it's wing attached to it by a small lead that he was given for free alongside the glove, the Falcon and the letter-holder. He felt somewhat cruel doing it, but he had to - the last thing he wanted was his fifty gold to be wasted. At least he'd still have the glove.
When he arrived at the training ground, he went to his normal area. People didn't come here often, and today was no exception. Besides, it was freezing, why would anyone with half a brain be outside? Kylar chuckled. Said a lot about how much of a brain he had. The glove on his hand kept him warm at least. That was the one positive he could seem to find right now. But he was doing this for a good cause, something charitable. Perhaps one day this bird would prove useful for whoever he gifted it to. It was an interesting idea to get a bird, Kylar thought - one he might do himself one day.

"Shade, still" he ordered the falcon. It didn't know many commands yet, but that was one it was taught. Shade was black as night, with piercing eyes and sharp features. If Kylar didn't know any better, he would assume Shade was a demon - not a Falcon. Kylar put down the box that Shade was stored in, then gently put his hand on the back of Shade's neck, cautious and slow. He stroked once. "Gently" he said bluntly. His plan was to associate words with actions. When he was stroked, it was good, which was the same word he would use to praise the bird. Whether it worked or not, he would have to see.
After stroking a little more, Kylar stopped finally. He looked to the brace around the bird's wing and how it connected to the glove. All of it was so intricate, it was perfect. That and the small tube that attached to Shade's leg to deliver mail and he'd got himself more than a good offer. Once Kylar trained the bird to follow simple commands, he would be easy for anyone to use.

Reaching into his pocket, Kylar grabbed for the small mouse he had inside it. The mouse was dead, it would be cruel to use a live mouse, but at least now the mouse served a purpose - even after death. Just as Karem would want. He lifted his hand with the mouse in it and went to place it in front of the Falcon, before lowering it as he realized his mistake. That break would rip his hand to shreds. He let out a sigh, he only had one choice.
He threw the mouse across the training grounds, then started to undo the brace on the birds wing. As Shade got ready to take off, Kylar put his glove out to show he wanted the bird to come back - as the shopkeeper instructed him. He just hoped it worked on an untrained bird.
► Show Spoiler
word count: 555
Kylar
Character Sheet

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Shade took off and, surely enough, grabbed the mouse and ate it. In what felt like seconds, the mouse was gone. Kylar watched in awe. This bird was truly beautiful. He composed himself, and put his glove out towards it. It's eyes turned to him as it stood on the ground, almost challenging him.
Kylar braced himself. "Shade" he said to the bird, simply. If it recognized it's name alone as a call to come back, then that would be perfect. It was simple, and it meant less time and less commands. But the bird wasn't having it. It stood and mocked him with it's eyes. He was a Lotharro, a big one at that. A Skyrider, too. How was a little Falcon mocking him!?
"Shade!" he shouted authoritatively. When the bird continued to stay still, he felt himself losing patience. But he couldn't snap, nothing was stopping the bird from flying away. He slowly and carefully put his hand to his pocket, and the bird's eyes snapped to follow it. He reached in and pulled out a mouse, and as the bird looked to take flight, he put the mouse back in his pocket. Shade looked back to him, looking as if it wanted to kill him.

Kylar slowly put the mouse out of his pocket again, and this time Shade waited. "Good" he said to the bird. This time, the bird stayed almost perfectly still, the only movement being his eyes as he watched Kylar place the dead mouse on his glove. Kylar only had three mice left, there was only so many he could afford to use. As the bird went to take flight again, Kylar put his hand back on the mouse. The bird shut it's wings in defeat, then watched carefully.
Finally, Kylar let go of the mouse. He waited a few seconds, to make sure it worked. Then, when the falcon made no movements, Kylar made his call. "Shade" he called, sharp and authoritative. As planned, the bird flew straight on to the glove, eating the mouse as it did so. Once it was finished, Shade looked to Kylar expectantly. "Good" Kylar said, smiling, then scratched the bird on the back of it's neck.
word count: 378
Kylar
Character Sheet

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

After ripping the mouse apart, Shade looked to Kylar expectingly - as if another mouse was in order. Kylar pondered for a moment, what could he teach the bird next? He wanted the bird to be used for messages, but the fact was that it would be near impossible to do at his level. This was his first time training an animal on his own, and it wasn't an easy task. In fact, it was far from. It was becoming increasingly difficult. Perhaps, though, this would be a useful experience for him.
"Shade, still" Kylar said to the bird. It sat on the glove obediently, following him with watchful eyes. Kylar walked towards the crossbow target and stood it up, then put the glove forward. Sure enough, Shade got off and stood atop the target. "Still" he repeated. The bird watched as Kylar walked back to where he was previously, then stuck his glove out. Did he call the bird's name, or wait and see what happened? For a few seconds he considered. Then, he took a strong stance and stuck out the glove.
Shade stopped for a moment, then spread it's wings. Was it working? Kylar hadn't said anything, not even made a sound, yet Shade was taking flight - without a mouse. Kylar braced for the impact, and sure enough the bird landed on the glove within seconds.

Overwhelmed with pride, Kylar pulled out one of the last two mice he had and threw it as far as he could. Shade took off, and immediately turned back and landed on the glove. "Good, Shade!" Kylar exclaimed with joy. He placed his hand on the back of Shade's neck, and stroked it gently. His joy quickly faded. This Falcon, who he had trained, wasn't going to be his for much longer. In fact, it wasn't ever 'his'. That fact hurt him a little. "Karem, please keep this Falcon and it's new owner safe" Kylar said, eyes fixed on Shade.
With that fresh in his mind, Kylar pulled out the last mouse from his pocket. "Good, Shade" he said quietly, then lifted the nouse up to the Falcon. He threw it up a little, right in front of Shade so the bird could grab it without having to fly. As Shade ate the mouse, Kylar scratched the back of his neck again. "Good..."
word count: 399
Nymph
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Office
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What a well trained bird you have there."

The voice was light, soft, and had a hint of a tinkling sound to it. It was incredibly mysterious, but comforting in a way. Saoire came around the corner of the tree. Had she simply appeared just now or had she been there as long as Kylar had been? No one would ever really know. This day she wore a simple white robe that seemed to be tight fitting from the hips up. Her long sleeves had extra fabric at the end which fell loosely towards the floor. Beyond her hips, the fabric hung gracefully, hiding the form of her legs.

"I can tell you have put some thought and effort into your gift Kylar. I am here to take it to the receiver on your behalf," Saoire smiled, the pine branches on her crown decorated in fruits and brightly colored baubles. She stood next to him now, reaching a long finger to stroke the area between the bird's eyes. It welcomed the touch, as if it understand that this woman was no mere mortal and deserved respect. She beckoned Kylar to put the bird into the box, whom did as she asked without question. He even was kind enough to take off the glove and place it on the box with the brace.

"Your kindness will not go unnoticed Kylar. I shall see you again very soon," Saoire smiled, taking the offered box, bird, glove, and brace from him. As a parting gift, she leaned forward and kissed his forehead. During this gesture, she expected he would close her eyes.

When he opened them again, he would only find a few flakes of snow falling from where she had just stood.
word count: 291
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be then me.
Nymph
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Office
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Kylar:
  • Knowledge:
    • Animal Training: Rewarding with Food
    • Animal Training: Relating a Word to a Command
    • Animal Training: Earning the Trust of a Falcon
    • Animal Training: Proper Falconer's Equipment
    • Saoire: The Giving Woman
    • Saoire: Wears a Holiday Crown
    • Saoire: Delivering Your Gift

Loot: The falcon, glove, box, and brace have been removed from your inventory. A total of 50gn for your holiday gift should be removed from your ledger.
    Injuries: None
    Fame: +2 (Giving a Gift)

Story: 5/5
    Collaboration: 0/5
    Structure: 5/5

Magic Points: None

- - -

Comments: Thank you for participating in the holiday event Kylar! I'm glad to see it sparked such creativity! I will get your gift delivered to the right person. In the meantime, enjoy the rewards.

PS. From the veterinarian perspective, you would make a bird very fat giving whole mice as a reward. If you train birds in the future, use only legs or small chunks as rewards. Fat birds don't fly. Lol.

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM. Thank you!
word count: 189
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be then me.
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”