Nature's Bounty

A small hunting expedition.

10th of Vhalar 716

Here is the City in the Trees. Desnind, home of the Immortal Moseke and much more! All IC writings in Desnind go here.
Ini'ra
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Animal Handler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Nature's Bounty

10th of Vhalar, 716 Arc
[Hunter's Fire Pit]

Let it be known that Ini’ra was barely a hunter, preferring to spend her time socializing with animals rather than killing them, but desperate times called for desperate measures. She was young, but she was also living on her own. As such, it required her to put food on her own table, and while she would prefer to leave the dirty work to someone else, she did not have that luxury, and had even less to trade at market. So, with her bow in hand and arrows poking out from the leather pack from her back, she headed towards the hunter’s fire pit.

As she walked, her boots scuffed across the dirt. She felt clumsy with shoes on, uncomfortable, and wondered if her distaste was evident on her face. The fire pit was her best bet to find a companion to go out into the wilderness with, the rumors of shadow things having spooked her well enough. She hovered at the edges of the location, seeing a number of men and women gossiping around the fire, some already showing off their kills in the early morning.

‘Wow,’ Ini noticed, ‘They must wake up so early.’ A few of the creatures she had never seen before, and she wondered if to be a good hunter, one had to rise with the sun. The early bird gets the worm, after all. Taking a deep breath, she tried not to look out of place beside all the hunters, pushing her shoulders back and attempting to project confidence.

Biting her lip, she tried to ignore the blush rising to her cheeks, “Excuse me,” she spoke up, embarrassed as a number of eyes turned to fall upon her small frame, “If anyone has yet to go out, I’m looking for someone to hunt with. We can…” her voice faltered momentarily when a few smiles faced her, “-split the spoils. I’m more than happy to share.”

A few of the Sev’ryn exchanged glances before a woman who was skinning a rabbit nodded, “What’s your path, little one?”

Ini shifted, shrugging her shoulders, “I look after the animals.”

The woman nodded again, “A noble calling,” she set aside her knife, pulling the skin off her kill with expert fluency. A few tics of silence passed. When she looked back at Ini’ra, her eyes as softened knowingly, “You have experience with the creatures, but are you sure you can do what must be done?”

Ini glanced at the others, taking a deep breath, “Yes. I used to hunt with my father, it’s just… been awhile,” She looked around, taking another step closer to the fire and waited hopefully, “So... Anyone need an extra hand?”
Last edited by Ini'ra on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 463
Xanthea | Common
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Profession: Hunter
Renown: 98
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nature's Bounty

Ti had woken earlier than usual today in order to go to the hunters fire pit. He didn't often go to the city and when he did it was rarely for social reasons. However, he had woken that morning feeling like he should go to the city, he wasn't sure why. So he had woken and started the walk to the Fire pits early as to avoid the city at it's busiest time. The walk was not too long and upon arrival there was nobody there so he had rested himself up against a tree and taken a small rest. Ti had sat resting in this spot half awake as people began to arrive at the hunters fire pit, some greeted him as they passed helping to keep him from falling asleep. As he sat there he realised that he had not really achieved what he had thought he would, he had managed to sit and speak to next to nobody. He felt he was wasting his time so decided to prepare for the hunt and just leave, he could talk to people any other time. So he pushed himself to his feet and began to prepare to leave collecting up his belongings from the floor getting it ready to leave.

Ti now stood around the fire preparing for a hunt, he strung his bow and put back on his backpack and quiver. He was ready to go and he was already heading away when he heard a woman announce herself. He stopped and turned to face the fire pit and spotted her. She was short and slim and appeared to be shy in the wake of the hunters gathered around the fire. He hadn't quite heard what she said at first but on the second time he heard it clearly. She was looking for someone to hunt with. He was heading out so he decided why not take her with him. He walked back over to the pit and smiled at the girl in front of him. "You can come with me, I haven't had a hunting partner for quite some time." Ti said as he walked around the fire to stand in front of her. "You can join me if you like." He felt a blush come onto his own cheeks to mirror that of the girl in front of him. He hadn't spoken to a girl for quite some time, living alone in the forest he didn't see many girls. He really had no idea how to with people and his animalistic side made it even worse with girls. Nervously he scrunched up some dirt between the toes of his shoe less feet as he awaited the girls response and fought back his blush.

Ti scratched his forearm and began to examine the girl, she was shorter than him and quite slim; overall just slimmer than him. She looked also a couple of years younger than him. Ti then noticed her bow he wondered how well versed she was with the weapon and if she had ever killed with it. He then looked to her still young looking face, she was clearly not a child yet her complexion gave away that she was barely into adulthood. Much like himself, he most certainly did not look old. Her hair and eyes were of almost the exact same colour, as if they had been made to match perfectly. Her small stature was not overly uncommon for Sev'ryn women and not so uncommon for the men either yet next to Ti'niva she seemed short. She was within the average size of most Sev'ryn adults yet her slim build made him look even taller in comparison.
word count: 625
Ini'ra
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Nature's Bounty

10th of Vhalar, 716 Arc
[Hunter’s Fire Pit]

Initiating conversation with new people was always a bit nerve wracking, especially when asking if there was someone who was essentially willing to spend time with you - a complete stranger. It felt like she was a child, approaching a group of kids and asking them to play. It made Ini'ra shift uncomfortably, and while no one scorned or mocked her, she wanted to run off and forget the whole thing had happened.

That is, until a man spoke up, "You can come with me," he said, walking to stand before her, "I haven't had a hunting partner for quite some time." Ini'ra was so relieved to find there was someone to take her up on her offer that she beamed a bright smile up at the man, her heart still pounding from talking to the other hunters.

"Hi, I'm Ini'ra," she greeted enthusiastically, debating on whether or not she should offer her hand in greeting. After a bit of deliberation, she extended it and tried not to think about whether or not he would shake it, "You can call me Ini, if you want. I really appreciate your offer. Do you like vanilla?"

What an odd question. A quick laugh fell from her lips, "I mean, I care for a vanilla plant, but it takes some time for them to grow. When they're ready, I could give you some of the beans after all this is over. As thanks," Or she could even make him a jar of the sweet liquid, but it would take a few weeks to come to fruition, "You'll be able to trade them. I think they'll fetch a good deal." In fact, it would have been her last resort had today not worked out.

She let the offer settle and motioned for them to head on out, her own bow already strung and ready to go. She didn't want to get in his way and allowed him to lead, falling into step beside him. This stranger was young, not much older than herself and had a dark complexion and rich black hair. He looked Sev'ryn enough to Ini'ra, and she wondered if he had yet bonded to a familiar if that was the case. She had not, the fact weighing on her more and more these days.

Inhaling deeply to brush away those thoughts, she focused on the sweet scents of the world around her, the faint smoke of the fading hunter's pit to the rich, earthy aroma of the forest. It was therapeutic, and she shifted her bow to the dominant hand, silently hoping she still had the stomach to catch her own dinner.
word count: 461
Xanthea | Common
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nature's Bounty

Do I like vanilla, he thought to himself considering how random a question it was. Then it occurred to him, he had never actually had vanilla before. Every time he went to the city or met new people he would realise how much he had missed living alone in the forest. "I have never actually had Vanilla. Oh, and I am Ti'niva, you can call me Ti if you wish." He said as he admitted his lack of experience with vanilla. He allowed that statement to set in before adding some more information, "You may have to tell me more about it." It was strange but Ti did want to learn more about this plant he was curious about the things he had been missing.

Ti continued leading the way through the forest, he knew just the place for them to hunt. He was heading towards a small stream along which he often found deer and sometimes Icraphern. As they walked Ti looked at the young woman and smiled. "You do know how to use that bow right?" Ti said as he watched her switch it from one hand to another. The last thing he wanted was for his first companion in over two years to have no idea what they were doing. Although the fact that she had a bow to begin with was a promising start. They continued to walk among the trees, Ti never tired of the forest.

"So, do you live in the city? What do you do?" Ti said as he continued to walk side stepping a small fallen branch. As he walked he admired the leaves that had begun to change colour high above them on the trees. Although this season was always one of the saddest for him, especially due to his connection with nature, he still loved the way it looked. The forest for a short time, before the leaves would fall, had a strange beauty to it. Ti always thought of it as a sort of morbid beauty, although the trees themselves would not die all the other smaller plants around them would. The trees would also shed there leaves and look quite lifeless.

As Ti'niva walked beside the woman he observed that she looked much more natural, in some ways much more beautiful. Ti had observed this phenomenon a few times in the past; the forest seemed to bring out the best parts of the people within it. Ti found himself blushing slightly as he pulled his eyes away from the girl beside him. He really needed to meet people more, all this time alone was putting him out of touch with his more human side. He was gradually becoming more animalistic in his approach to life, although he did not view this overly as bad he did know he needed to gain some more self control around new people.
word count: 482
Ini'ra
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Nature's Bounty

10th of Vhalar, 716 Arc

Ini'ra gasped, so surprised that her new hunting companion had not known of vanilla, "You've really never had any?' If this was the case, was it possible he hadn't the pleasure of enjoying many sweets in his lifetime? The young Sev'ryn girl followed after him, stepping over rocks and twigs, trying to think of how to describe the plant in her front yard, "Well, in its natural state, it blooms these flowers, and the pods turn a deep brown when they're ready for harvest. Normally you use it to make an extract for cooking, like for cakes or bread," Her grandmother's face popped into her mind. Vanilla could be a bit pricey - or in Desnind terms, require a fair trade - and she was the reason she had one at all; to save her the trouble of getting some when the urge to bake overcame her. "I like to bake sometimes, so..."

Ti'niva looked over at her and smiled, the sound of a stream bubbling under the chirping of birds and buzz of the forest's insects caught her attention. She noted the location, dark eyes moving past the other Sev'ryn to the trees and water around them. 'So, this is good hunting grounds?' She was out of practice, having dodged any trip to hunt with her father in weeks. Admittedly, he usually did a lot of the work, Ini's heart often making her hesitate. "I know how to use it," she admitted, switching the bow between hands yet again, this time in her non dominant, and moving her feet accordingly. She reached behind her to the pack that rested on her back and drew an arrow, knocking it on the string, and with a great motion, pulled back and froze for demonstration.

Her form was very good, her feet in their proper position, and her elbow not too high or too low. The string had been pulled back far enough so that the fingers holding it hooked at the corner of her mouth and her bow hand was relaxed with her thumb cradling the tip of the arrow. She glanced at her partner from the corner of her eye, hoping she had proven herself enough, and quickly lowered the weapon. Ini'ra felt another rush of embarrassment, mostly because she knew her aim wasn't nearly as impressive. Kind of bad, actually.

Slipping the arrow back in her bag, she began to answer his next question. What did she do?, "I live in a tree house, not far from Moseke's temple," she jumped on a rock, balanced, and then jumped down, "I'm an animal handler. I look after some of the creatures around the city, sometimes outside of it," she smiled, waving in his direction, "I'm assuming you're a hunter, for obvious reasons," A few colorful leaves already decorated the ground, and near the stream, she kept her eyes down, looking for signs of prints, "Are there any tracks in particular we're looking for?"
Last edited by Ini'ra on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 513
Xanthea | Common
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nature's Bounty

Ti admired her form, she held the bow with more skill and experience than he had expected. She kept a good line and she stood with a stable stance. He smiled satisfied with her skill, he could only assume her aim was true, he would soon find that out anyway. They continued walking and the girl briefly balancing on a stone before continuing walking beside him. 'An animal handler', Ti thought how strange it was for someone who cared for animals to come out and kill them. He found it difficult enough killing the animals of the forest and it was his profession. Ti could only imagine how difficult it must be for someone who feels so strongly towards animals to the kill them.

"We are looking for any tracks, most likely we will find simple deer. Maybe an Icraphern, if we can avoid their keen sense of smell." Ti chuckled thinking of how many times when younger he had positioned himself up wind from his prey. How foolish he had once been, he had his father to thank for his current level of skill and for correcting the mistakes he made. "How much do you need? Do you have any specific prey in mind?" Ti asked wondering if he could get to the bottom of her sudden choice to go hunting. He could not really speculate her reasons for being here unless she was more desperate for food than she appeared. He then thought more and this idea but could not believe it to be correct. He knew that the Sev'ryn people would never let one of their own starve, or so he believed.

He continued walking stepping over slowly dying plants on forest floor giving them just a little longer in this world. He wondered what it felt like to slowly whither away, he imagined it being quite depressing. In his mind Ti pictured a world that would grow ever more grey until you eventually faded from it completely. The feeling sent shivers down his spine, the idea of watching the world slowly slip away without any ability to stop it made him feel like he was just a pawn in the worlds plan. The idea disturbed him so he quickly dismissed it and brought his attention back to his real surroundings. He returned to observing the girl by his side, he suddenly realised she was wearing boots. This was an odd site for Ti he had seen so few Sev'ryn ever wear shoes. He frowned slightly wondering why, 'maybe the city folk had weaker feet?' The idea amused him so he dismissed it, his only other thought was of the rocks and other rubble and forest waste that scattered the ground here and not within the city.

The stream came into sight and Ti smiled as he began to walk more carefully examining the ground more closely as he walked searching for the tracks of possible prey. He sometimes felt guilty about exploiting their drinking area; he wouldn't particularly enjoy having where he went to drink constantly being ambushed by people with bows. He may feel guilty but this was how he lived he had to hunt otherwise he would die especially this close the the long cold season. The life of the forest is much less in the cold season, not to mention cold makes it incredibly difficult to survive hunting expeditions during that time. "Hopefully we will find some tracks soon." Ti said quietly as he scanned the ground while walking slightly lower down than before.
word count: 594
Ini'ra
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Nature's Bounty

10th of Vhalar, 716 Arc

Ini'ra knew how it must have sounded. An animal handler, now a hunter... She wasn't particularly proud to accept the challenge of killing an animal, but personal growth came from challenging oneself and beliefs. Ini craved that sort of self awareness. Afterall, there might be a day where she left Desnind and would have to hunt to survive. These skills, whether or not they aligned with her moral compass would keep her alive. Life was hard. It required making tough decisions.

Her eyes trailed over the ground, searching as she absentmindedly pondered this. Ti seemed like good enough company, and she lifted her head at the mention of deer and icaphern. What beautiful, majestic animals, "I just need a bit for dinner, maybe something to trade at market," she wondered if her reasoning sounded justified enough to him, and opened her mouth to ask if he thought her silly, but decided against it. "I was told once that if you try new things, you'll be a better person. Do you... do you agree?"

She smiled at her companion, and knew that sooner or later they would have to cease talking. Hunting went hand and hand with silence after all. When the sound of a trickling stream came into view, she quieted, trying to lighten her footsteps. it was a challenge, still clumsy from her boots. They protected her feet well enough, but she didn't like them. Frowning, the leaves crunched under her covered feet and she shifted her weight, finding a sturdy root twisting from the base of tree rising from the ground. It was wide, covered in a bit of moss, and found that when she stepped on it, the effect was barely audible.

Ini'ra lifted an eyebrow, looking for her next step. A rock rested not far away, and she delicately jumped, wobbling and waving her arms, her balance returning as she grew steadier. She smiled, pleased her step had not made much sound. 'Rocks and roots for silence,' she noted, wondering what else would allow for a proper stealth. As her dark eyes roamed the forest floor for a patch of land with little leaves, Ini raised a hand, waving it towards Ti. Not sure if what she had found was anything of worth, she listened.

Birds around her chirped and sang, and she turned to her partner. In an attempt to communicate and get his attention without words, Ini put her lips together and whistled - the sound jumping and dancing - imitating one of the flying creatures as best she could. It wasn't perfect - but perhaps better than a human voice? Tempted to laugh at herself, she pointed to what had caught her attention. Dark droppings were piled on the ground. While not glamerous, Ini'ra paid special attention to the size and shape, having enough experience with animals to know how much their feces could tell you and doubted hunting was much different. She wasn't sure as to how old they were, so it was possible whatever it belonged to was long gone, but as she looked around, she pointed again - excited and scared at once.

A tall, thin tree not far from where they stood looked to have had a part of it stripped. One side was worn down, its bark rubbed clean off. Careful this time as to where she placed her feet, she went to rest a hand on the trunk she had found. Deep ridges had been scraped bare, scaring the innocent wood and the young woman turned a head to look over at Ti'niva, beaming. She could just imagine a deer rubbing its antlers against it to shed their velvet. Or... was it an icaphern?

Briefly she examined the height of the markings from the ground and felt content with her first conclusion. Icaphern were smaller, more delicate creatures. Even with their own horns, the size and height didn't fit their profile she had formed in her mind. Ini had found their first clue and it was hard not to feel proud. She turned to Ti'niva, trying not to look like a grinning fool.
Last edited by Ini'ra on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 698
Xanthea | Common
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nature's Bounty

Ti smiled at the girl across from him who seemed quite content with her findings. Ti took a moment to examine the height of the damage to the wounded tree and came to a conclusion and assumption that it was a dear. The markings were two high for an Icaphern. Ti'niva stayed quiet attempting not to disturb any creatures near by patience and stealth were key to hunting. Ti gently walked through the underbrush his feet barely making a sound as he stalked slowly between the trees. He was careful to avoid any twigs or large clumps of leaves as they would easily reveal his position to anything near by.

Ti waved for the girl to follow as he made his way towards the sound of the stream, he had yet been to spot any tracks of whatever had left the gashes and marks in the tree. As he walked he watched around him, he had heard rumours of dark creatures emerging in the forest and some hunters had even been too afraid to go out in the past few Trials. Not Ti, the forest was his home and no creature no matter how evil was going to stop him from living there. He had found himself on guard the past few days, much more aware than in the past as he felt something strange had began to happen to the forest and the creatures within. As he walked his eyes suddenly captured something moving between two small bushes. Ti gripped his bow tighter as he watched the bushes, he could have sworn he saw a shadowy fog floating between them. He watched the bushes momentarily as he walked glaring at them as if they were some kind of potential threat. After a short while he decided he must have imagined it although it still spooked him slightly and he found it difficult to ignore the bushes as he continued to walk.

He scanned the floor searching for tracks or disturbances in the foliage. His eyes locked onto some tracks, they looked like deer tracks and so Ti made a strange clicking sound to draw Ini'ra's attention to the tracks. He then found himself smiling he was not used to sharing his findings with another human being and he found it quite satisfying. He motioned for Ini'ra to follow him as he began to track the animal following its disturbance of the folliage and its hoof markings. The deer appeared to be having meandered followiing a strange path. Ti assumed this to be due to its feeding it was probably grazing as it wandered through the forest creating this strange path it had taken towards the stream. "Keep your eyes open and aware, try not to miss it and take your time if you get a good shot when we find it." Ti whispered to the girl after moving closer so they could hear eachother better.
word count: 490
Ini'ra
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Nature's Bounty

10th of Vhalar, 716 Arc

Ini'ra patiently waited as Ti'niva examined the tree. He seemed to be far more experienced with hunting than her, so when he didn't dismiss her findings, her pride continued to prance about. Careful not to ruin her progress, she made sure to follow her comrades footsteps – literally – by watching where she placed her next step. She watched him carefully, eyebrows furrowing when he seemed transfixed with a bush.

'What is it? she wanted to ask, but reluctantly held her tongue. They had found the first evidence of wildlife, she didn't want to go and ruin their chances at a nice haul. They continued deeper into the forest, Ini careful to watch out for dry twigs that wanted to snap under her light weight. At last, it seemed that Ti'niva found something and her face beamed when he pointed out his findings. The young girl smiled at him and nodded, pretending to clap, but without her hands actually touching.

He seemed happy with himself as well, and she felt that he was turning out to be decent company. She stepped closer to bend and admire the footprints, committing them to memory. Cloven feet. Deer. In fact, the footprints almost looked like two teardrop shapes side by side with a small rivet between them, and in total, it was about the size of her palm. This animal was not small by any means.

Her nerves returned and she took a shaky breath, hoping that she could do this. Ti'niva offered some valuable advice and she meditated on it as she walked, repeating it in her mind to rally her morale. 'Keep my eyes open and aware... Open and aware... Take your time...'

They tracked the animal by the few footprints they were able to find and a disturbance of foliage. It took Ini'ra a while to notice the latter, not quite understanding what Ti'niva was looking for until she saw disturbed bushes with broken branches. She tried to keep her eyes peeled for further evidence, but movement caught her eyes. Further between the trees in a small clearing was a strong, majestic doe nibbling on fresh grass. Ini's eyes widened and she froze, ever so carefully crouching and readying her arrow. She started to draw the string back and lifted her arm to aim.

The animal in the clearing nibbled again, ears swiveling to detect danger. Ini was so overwhelmed by the beauty of the creature that she began to pray silently, 'Oh, Moseke,' she thought, unable to voice her words, “I don't want to do this... Guide me and give me strength so that I might improve my skill and do your will. Blessed are your creatures, and the nature you've created... Forgive me.”

Steeling herself, Ini'ra's lined up her shot, making sure her feet were where her father always instructed her, and wished for the best. Offering a calming exhale and a final look at her hunting partner, Ini'ra released the string and with a sharp thrum of release, her arrow went flying.
Last edited by Ini'ra on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 522
Xanthea | Common
Ti'niva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Nature's Bounty

Ti heard the all too familiar sound of a bow bending, the wood creaking softly as the string was drawn and prepared for fire. He wheeled around on his heels with grace and in complete silence as he pulled an arrow from his own quiver and knocked it ready to fire. He followed the girls aim to a small clearing where a doe stood unaware of her immediate danger. He breathed slowly allowing the air to gently role in and out of him keeping himself steady and ready to fire if the need arose. He glanced over at the girl impressed by her physique and her ability to draw the bow with such ease. He had seen bigger people than herself struggle with drawing a bow. She was quite impressive for her young looking age and it suddenly crossed Ti's mind he did not know her age.

He carefully aimed for the deer ready to fire if his hunting companion was to miss her target. He was also ready to attempt to finish the creature if she did not land a kill shot. He hated chasing the prey, and not because it was an inconvenience for him but because he hated them to suffer. He struggled everytrial with the acts that he committed as a hunter. Even with this he never doubted his chosen path, he took great pride in his ability to cope with the act. He was also as kind and thankful to the majestic creatures of the forest as he possibly could be. One thing that always gave him comfort was that he believed they would be reincarnated much like himself. He also knew that Moseke would give the creatures a safe and peaceful passing out of this life.

His attention jolted back to his surroundings as he heard the twang of his companions bow string. The arrow shot through the forest air fast and straight until it ended its journey in the doe's rear thigh. Ti grimaced slightly as he loosed his arrow both out of pity for the animal and in aid of his companion. The arrow flew spiraling into the deer's side, piercing into the chest cavity, in the location of the deer's heart. This all happened before it had the chance to make any real move for escape. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply remembering he had exhaled before he took the shot. The deer collapsed into a heap on the floor the beautiful creature now passing from the world.

He looked over at his companion with a comforting smile, he tried not to seem patronizing. "Good shot." he said half truthful. He was honest with himself inside and he had not truly expected the girl to hit the deer due to her profession getting in the way. Maybe that was why she had hit its leg, either way it did not matter greatly the deer was dead and that was their aim. "Are you okay, I know how hard it can be to hurt an animal, I feel that pain every trial, you never really get used to it." He said, probably not the most comforting thing to say. He smiled gently, he may have been a hunter but he had more compassion and kindness hidden within him than many others. "How old are you?" he quickly added his observation from earlier surfacing again.
word count: 567
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Desnind”