[Seasonal Event] Blackberry Picking!

38th of Saun 722

The home to the Induk Sweetwine and populated by fairies, this enchanted forest has many secrets

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: [Seasonal Event] Blackberry Picking!

The Flapdoodle

The portal closed.

Oram (and his entourage) took a moment to take stock, to look around. He saw the shades of purple, from a deep violet to pale lavender. As Oram looked about, he felt the gentle tickle of Rain on his face. Tiny drops fell on him (and, others might notice Expert Detection + , only him). Tiny purple droplets landed in a smattering on his face and arms and drops of shining purple glittered on him. Where it landed on clothes or skin, it left tiny marks, freckles of purple.

Objective Met: Oram found a small red marble ~ information on it in review! .

Meanwhile, Winston maintained his stance of non-violence and he chose to stand guard over the portal. It shimmered and closed in front of him in vibrant colour and sparkles. Cage turned to speak to him.
cont'd below
Objective Met: Winston found a small gold bell ~ information on it in review! .

Unlike WInston, though Kisaik did step through the portal. The world around him was purple and it danced in shades and hues as he looked. From his moderately unique vantage point, he saw the world from a different perspective and he spotted the rainbows around the waterfall, each of which was a rainbow in shades of purple and which - as he watched - danced with the mournful song of the woman sitting there. Her golden wings fluttered in the same beat. While the others might, if they looked Detection Competent +, spot her wings, only Kisaik saw the dancing rainbows of purple.

And he spoke to the woman with the golden wings.....
cont'd below
Nir'wei shuffled through the portal, old age making his bones creak and his joints ache. As he lost a tooth (or was it that? Was it his tooth? It must be, there was a gap.... but then why did it glow so?) he looked down at the floor where even the grass was tinged with purple and he heard the mournful song of the woman. And he - of all the people there - he understood that song. Not the words, exactly, but it was like he was old enough, or somehow he was able to ... comprehend it.

Why he could might be apparent to Ashan's son. It was a song of freedom, from a creature who was trapped. It was a creature who was trapped here in this place, yearning for a world that she no longer remembered. A world she had once known when Sweetwine had been free, before the Induks had been captured and bound.

He would have maybe heard more, if her song had not been stopped as she turned to talk to Kisaik.....

Objective Met: Nir'wei found a silver tooth ~ more information in the review!.
Secret Objective Met: Nir'wei found a second item! ~ more information in the review!.
cont'd below
None of the fae responded to his snarky comments, though he heard a snort which may have been a fairy making a derisive noise. Padding through on gentle paws, Balthazar stepped through the portal, but then held back. He stood and watched, choosing not to attack or defend or act just yet, but to observe. He saw a few things, but nothing specific. However, his sense of smell picked up something strange. The scent of metal- maybe copper? And it was directly below him which, should he look, was a small mound of earth.

Objective Met: Balthazar found a coin ~ but he left it behind! .

Before they stepped through the portal, Elisabeth picked up the coin Balthazar had dropped. It was strange, though, as she moved to pick it up, it wasn't there. It was like she'd just missed it, because it was a few inches to the left. Perhaps she'd think that she'd just mis-judged her grab with small arms and hands, but should she try again, it simply wouldn't be picked up. Cage chuckled and spoke in a language Elisabeth didn't understand - and the fairies laughed.

The child's block, however, she noticed and could grab. There was an E on one side of it and she noticed other letters on the other sides, there were also two sides which were engraved with an ornate "I", one with an "R", another with an "A" and the final one with an "F".

She, too, decided to hold back and as she did, she hummed. She tried to hum along with the woman but she did not have the skill Singing=Novice to keep up with the intricate and mournful tune. Yet, her voice was pretty and light - normally. Here, she sounded discordant and it jarred against the beautiful song. Why that might be wasn't clear.

Objective Met: Elisabeth found a child's letter block ~ information on it in review! .
Secret Objective Met: Elisabeth tried to help another with their item ~ more information in the review!.

cont'd

Oram, Zorohe's missed this round, but PM'd me to ask if he did that I'd write him going through., Balthazar and Elisabeth held back.

But Nir'wei and Kisaik did not. Nir'wei was still hearing the song, but then it stopped as the golden-winged woman stopped singing and turned to look at them. She was beautiful, in a very traditionally fairy way. Golden hair fell in waves down her back and her eyes were the same shade of gold as her hair and wings. Tears fell from those eyes and she looked at Kisaik as she answered him.

"I sing to the Flapdoodle," she said to him, quietly. Kisaik, as the person who asked her, understood her. Nir'wei understood her too, but to the others her voice was tinkling bells speaking in sadness. "Asking it to free me. But I can not be free, because I am afraid." She sighed and looked at Kisaik and then, she stood. As she stood, he - and the others - saw what had been hidden by distance. She was shackled to the floor by her ankles and her wrists.

"The flapdoodle is here, it is in me. It controls me," she said and she held out her hands. The shackles that Nir'wei and Kisaik saw were thin. Flimsy. Easily broken had she but tried. "It is my fear," she sighed and sat back down.

Having answered Kisaik's question, she looked at him, and then at Nir'wei. "The flapdoodle is fear," she said. "And I am too afraid. Will you help me?"

cont'd, in the Clearing

"Congratulations!" Cage announced to Winston. "You have defeated the Pinch!"

Winston might, understandably, be somewhat confused. Cage was quick to explain. "All three trials are here, and they are as follows," he said. "The flopdoodle is fear. One of our people, one of Sweetwine's fairies is through there and she is trapped still. When Sweetwine was freed, we were all released from our chains, but she was to afeared to leave. To afraid to be free. She binds herself now, in flopdoodles and she must overcome her flopdoodles. But we can't help her. Mortals can, but only fae can go where she is."

That was the trial of the flopdoodle, it seems. "The trial of the flopsy," he said, and then went on to explain exactly what that was I'm not telling! Secret PM sent!. "If they conquer that trial, that will be two of the three met. But here, you, you've met the Test of the Pinch." More cheers. "In a pinch, you have to be able to rely on someone to get you back," he said and, in his own very toothy way, he gave a big grin. "If I open this portal, then they've failed the Test of the Pinch. One of you needed to stay behind!"

Singing, cheering, clapping. Lots of it. Fairies knew how to have a good time.

"When you want to open the portal, just use this," he said and he bent to the ground and threw Balthazar's coin to Winston. It flipped through the air and landed at Winston's feet. "Rub the coin and make a wish," he nodded.

"Do you think they'll pass the flopsy?" Cage asked, and he seemed - genuinely - concerned. "We want our sister to be free, but the laws of fae forbid our direct intervention. If she's freed, she'll become the Blackberry." A dozen sets of suddenly serious eyes looked at him.

"Can they do it?" Cage wondered. "Can they overcome their flopsy?"

cont'd, outside Sweetwine.

Airea was a large white bear. Fluffy, but not entirely cute.

She heard approaching voices from her left. Maybe a hunting party, maybe people travelling or just talking while they took a walk. She couldn't tell a lot of details, but she'd hear maybe three or four people.

There were no birds and the insects made no sound.

All else, in fact, was silent.

OOC Things & Stuffies

Rules, Etc

Sincere apologies for the delays!!!
Please make sure to read and respond to my posts - while this is a light-hearted "theme" - there is still danger here.
I would like you to have a go at the new knowledge system - please identify up to three knowledge per post.

Objectives

Round 1:
 ! Message from: Must Do
1. Well, I think you've got stuff to react to there. Please do.....
2. Be clear where knowledge is coming from in the text.
 ! Message from: Can Do
1. Come up with a wild theory that's obviously just MADNESS!
2. Share your wild theory.

I'll be posting Friday 23rd September
(I know, I know. But I'm good for that!)
Please post by end of day Thursday in order to ensure that your response is counted.
Talk to me if you need an extension!
word count: 1646
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!

Tags:
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Cadouri
Profession: Groundskeeper
Renown: 806
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Yay! Go ME!... Is there cake?

Winston was watching the space where the portal had been, considering his options as he bounced up and down with a 'HICUP'. He had been told that anyone that failed would be returned safely, so that was not his worry, but if they ALL failed, what else might come back? He intended to be prepared... As he was doing this, Cage commended him on his success, which caught him rather off guard. "I did? I DID! Go me!" He whispered ~Is there cake?~

Winston did not speak further with his voice as Cage explained, but his body language was totally unfiltered as his ears pricked, flopped, shook and engaged.

Cage: "All three trials are here"

Winston: GHAAAAASP! What a TWIST!

Cage: "flopdoodle is fear."

Winston: Epiphany!

Cage: "trapped still"

Winston: OH NO!

Cage: "we were all released from our chains"

Winston: Yippieeee!

Cage: "she was to afeared to leave."

Winston: Sad.

Cage: "To afraid to be free."

Winston: Determined.

Cage: "she must overcome her flopdoodles"

Winston: Agreed.

Cage: "But we can't help her."

Winston: Bugger.

Cage: "Mortals can"

Winston: Yay!

Cage: "but only fae can go where she is"

Winston: Mun aliiiiive!

Winston listened to the trail of the Flopsy
and on conclusion, nodded in agreement before asking politely "As yuh wish, Mr Cage Sir. 'owever cun me 'elp dem meself, when de time comes?"

Cage replied
"You can encourage and support any way you can, you can help any way you can. But don't make it Flopsy"

This news was like a catalyst to the little ferret, that was then instantly capped as Cage continued to talk. Winston sat there, like a slowly leaking bottle of fizz with a spoonful of baking soda in it, just waiting to explode into action... but doing all he could to stay and listen.

As everyone cheered, Winston thrust his little fists in the air with a *HIC-BOING* and a "Yipp-hic-ie!" as a little of his metaphorical pressure leaked out.

He returned Cage's very toothy grin with his own and gave a solid nod of determination. He took the coin and stowed it safely in one of the pockets on hit belt (one with a strap) for safekeeping. He was not going to let anyone down.

As the fairies sang, danced and cheered, their glee was reflected in Winston's own expression, but now was not the time for dancing for him, not just yet. And then Cage asked him of their success...

The Devil on My Shoulder
Curiosity: OOOOOooooooohhhhhhhh.... Of course WE are not the Blackberry!
Winston: Wait, wat?
Curiosity: We are the Pickers.
Winston: Yuh, 'e said one af us would...
Curiosity: No, dufus, he said anyone that failed or 'did not become the Blackberry’ would return... Guess what?
Winston: None of us are becoming the Blackberry?
Curiosity: Bingo!
Winston: And we NEVER were?
Curiosity: Bongo!
Winston: So dey will all just return to deir narmal form once deir friend, de Blackberry, which dey are busy 'picking' reet now, is free?
Curiosity: Bango!
Winston: Well... Den me made de right choice!

Winston shook his head and chuckled joyfully and understanding sunk firmly in. Their celebration was infectious and not something Winston felt the need to resist. "Me 'onestly don't know. Expectin a parson nat to walk across de room to fetch yuh a cookie when walking comes naturally to dem, wid-out tellin' dem nat too..." He sucked in air through his teeth. It seemed like a lot was left to chance here and so easily lost through even the best of intentions.

He knew very little about any of them really. Of the lot, Elizabeth at least seemed to Winston like the kind of person that could pull this off with what information they had... All things considered, none of them seemed shy of a challenge.

"Me tink yuh 'ave da very best af Idalos in dare Mr Cage Sir. An ef anyone cun do et, it'll be dem, Sir." He winked. "En ef nat, me can make sha dem stand de best chance af nat make a Flapsy af et. En fact!
As lang as any attempt dem make to Flapsy fails, den it wud nat count, right? So me cun make sure eny Flapsers get Flapped back inta da portal until they do et reet.
" He chuckled, not entirely serious about his statement.

Feeling almost as much like a gatekeeper now as backup, it was time for Winston to begin his own preparations. Whatever the parameters of this test were, it had been made very clear to Winston that the Fairies could not intervene. But by telling Winston what they had, meant that this responsibility of intervention had passed to him. He would do all he could to help them out, but would not in any way intentionally let slip the nature of their situation, or he'd be failing them all.

Deciding to wait for now for a sign of some kind, he set about searching for what he wanted. He would keep an eye on the spot where the portal had been for any change what-so-ever, deliberately checking on it from time to time as he went. A new flower, a flash, a cupcake, anything at all and if this occurred, then rub, wish and get to the opening as deftly as he could would be his intent.

Until this happened, he started singing a song. The Fairies were not allowed to intervein, so he decided they probably could not help, but singing while he worked, whether he COULD sing or not, seemed like the way to go about things right now and who knew? If the Fairies didn't realise they were helping, then all would be right with the world... right?

He started to forage for something he could use as rope. He'd climb a tree and cut a vine if there was one to be taken and then secure one end to a point around a tree be the location where the portal originally opened up.

He was not entirely confident that time was not an important factor, so would get the longest one he could find. All the time, he'd
sing
and check for signs between each verse...

"Got me some friends in a little pickle,
Wiiiiin-Staaaaan, 'eeeelp dem get out.
Need to find me someting to chuck on in.

*HIC-BOING*

Maby some rope or some vines will sufice?
Et needs ta be lang and strange don't yuh doubt!

*HIC-BOING*

Me tie et an 'ere so it don't fall all in,
Adding 5 knots so it don't cum un-done!
Wiiiiin-Staaaaan, 'eeeelp dem get out."

Winston made an effort to get some kind of handle on the hic-ups and if nothing else, try to avoid letting them chuck him from a tree with a thump. If the rithm of the song and any form of dance would help, he dance with the Fairies as he hopped about the place.

The song was badly sung (by Winston), but what he lacked in skill he definitely made up for in genuine glee and delight as he worked. The chance that the Fairies might join in with the song was very much in his mind and he'd even 'hand-over' to the closest participating Fairy with a little Flair, to take a verse or two, to help with the song, of course... not the challenge... Wink-wink.

Whatever happened, his final intention, other then whipping up a Fairie powered Winston-storm, was to get into to a position where he had rope (of some kind) ready outside the location the portal had originally appeared. Where he would wait for a sign... for now, coin in hand.
word count: 1332

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

Winston usually carries the following on his person:
  • Cassion's Locket hangs snugly around his neck.
  • Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1815
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

38 Saun 722
Things did not seem to grow any less strange as time trickled on for the victims of the fairy games. Balthazar was normally a much more curious sort but given that he had no thumbs to use and he was slowly beginning to realize he would have to pick things up with his mouth if he wanted to hold something, he was growing tired of the fairies and their tricks. Not quite angry yet but the amusement that had originally drawn him in was beginning to fade. At least he had Elisabeth with him. They didn't always see eye to eye on things but her presence alone almost always made the difficult times more manageable. He made a small noise like chuff and kept his focus on what was happening in front of them.

The woman with the golden wings continued her sad song while a small group approached her and a few stayed behind with Balthazar to watch. He began to shift slowly to the side as he examined the singer so that he'd have a clear shot if he needed to take one. It wouldn't do them much good to get others hit by the next bolt of lightning he sneezed their enemy's way. As he did, something cause him to come to a stop. For all the changes in this form, one of them had alerted him to something... coppery? There was a smell, not quite worth being called an odor, near him. No, not just near him, it was right beneath him. He looked down for a trill while keeping his ears and all other focus on the scene in front of him.

A small mound of smelly earth inside a fairy portal? And Robin wondered why he didn't seem awestruck by the strange happening in the world anymore. Curious as always, he dug at the mound of earth to see if there was something beneath it that was creating the smell. Digging was an interesting exercise. It helped him get a bit better control over the 'claws' that came with his paws. First he flat footed the dirt but when he began to use the claws, he actually managed to dig a little. Maybe thumbs were overrated? He'd never had claws before... was it worth giving up thumbs though?

Whatever he found, or if he found nothing at all, he eventually turned his eyes back towards the singing winged one. Well she had been singing but by then she was speaking to those who had come closest to her. He could hear her, even from where his small group was standing, but her voice sounded like bells. Little tinkling bells. The wolf's eyes narrowed in annoyance. Who spoke with the sound of bells? It was only slightly less mad than the explanation that Balthazar came up with to explain why she sounded the way she did. Fairies seemed to eat strange things which did strange things to people.

"Maybe she swallowed a bell... or two. I'm not the only one who heard that right?" Balthazar said to Elisabeth and the others beside him as he subconsciously continued to paw at the strange smelling mound of earth. "Did she eat bells?" The wolf impulsively called out to the others who had approached the singing one. Then he realized it would probably be better to ask the singer herself since she could give him a thumbs up or down- another gesture he realized he could not perform. "Why is your voice jingly?"

word count: 596

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Kisaik
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: 780
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kisaik hated to interrupt the fairy's song, but time was of the essence, and he needed to get to the absolute bottom of things. He didn't know about the whole understanding between Nir'wei and the song she was singing, or else he might've allowed her to continue without interruption. But as it was, she did let him interrupt, and that was the fairy's choice. Kisaik respected creatures that could make choices, and it was encouraging, because that showed she could still be free, as he listened to her tale of imprisonment.

Kisaik sighed, sad for the fairy, and sappy tears dabbed at the corner of his eyes and nose. he wiped them away with his armored sleeve, and then tried brightening his disposition. This was a very sad spirit, no doubt, but Kisaik thought he knew how to help, and how to cheer her up in one stroke.

He activated his orange fairy ring, and it allowed him to feel brave. He would need to feel brave for all of them soon, as he had a plan in the making.

"You know, that reminds me of something that happened to me once!" Kisaik said, and nodded, "As a tunawa, I've often been captive to big folk and other types. Children who mistook me for a toy, or a eagle who mistook me for a twiggy trinket to put in their nest. I will tell you of the latter. A great and vicious harpy eagle kidnapped me once upon a time. Out of nowhere, he snatched me away from my friends and family, and thought to stuff me, armor and all into her nest. Perhaps to cheer her up, or as comfort to her chicks who'd not yet hatched."

"Whatever the case, I laid there, hopeless for at least three trials. Content to be part of that nest, a shiny trinket."

"But then, I saw that I was not alone in that nest. There was another tunawa, a young one named Alaiwa, who saw my armor and took me for what I am. Or what I should be. A brave knight and warrior, someone who could free us from our predicament. When I didn't believe in my own ability, he saw hope. Sometimes it takes another perspective to realize our potential, my lady!"

"Would you
join me?
I can be brave for the both of us, and break out of our shackles into the bargain! Then you will be free to become what you were meant to be, and rejoin your friends in the fairy realm!" Kisaik practically pleaded with her, to join him in possession.

Should she acquiesce to join his spiritual shell, he would
break the shackles
and free them both of the Flapsdoodle's fearful grip!

word count: 466
Elisabeth Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Little Wonder-Bunny of Anger
Renown: 1035
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Arc 722, 38 Saun

Elisabeth the Little was having a confusing trial. Then again, it was her first experience with fairies, so perhaps that was to be expected.

The coin wouldn’t come with her – weird. She tried a few times, but the coin wanted to stay, and who was she to argue the point? All the little girl could do was shoot the object a look of betrayal as it continued to do the most audacious thing ever – lie on the ground.

“Well, fine. Be that way.”

Turning to ‘Sparky,’ with a slight pout and huff, she gave him the bad news. “I tried to pick up the coin for you, but it wouldn’t come. Perhaps it’s just an illusion! Or, or….maybe the coin is just a shape-shifting fairy, playing tricks on us! Perhaps it’s a fallen star? Does anyone know what happens to those when they hit the ground? Ohhhh…maybe it’s made of chocolate inside. I could go for some chocolate right about now. “

Going down the ‘rabbit hole’ rapidly, she babbled for a moment longer until catching herself. Cage and the fairies were laughing, surely at her, but she didn’t mind. Let them have their fun.

In other news, the wooden block she found had more delightful letters. Faiire? Having places to go and people to see, Elisabeth couldn’t devote a great deal of time to solving the mystery, instead sliding the block back into her pocket for safekeeping.

It seemed most of the group were going through the portal, all whom she knew except one, and she knew of Zoro. Most importantly, Balthazar was with her. Well, fuzzy Balthazar. A very handsome wolf, indeed. Everything else could be chaotic and crazy, but his presence would always steady her, for there was very little they couldn’t accomplish together.

The presence of Oram - purple rain freckles and all - and Kisaik was additionally reassuring. Nir’wei’s…..well, that was a complicated matter. Not much she could do about it right then. Balthazar would be keeping an eye on him, for sure. Her too, of course. Due to the events in Rynmere, ‘reassured’ wasn’t the term she’d use to describe the now-very old councilor of Natural Affairs. As it happened, he and Kis’aik were the first to approach the crying one. Elisabeth, whose experience taught her to be more cautious, flirting with death way too often for comfort.

What she did do, however, was what Elisabeth was good at – be in and read the situation Snap Analysis (Socialization Capstone)

Elisabeth's experience dealing with a wide variety of people, personalities, and attitudes has led her to develop a keen social awareness of people and how they interact with each other. She's aware of the complexities of human social relationships and has a deep understanding of key social processes. In working with the settlers of Haven, her dealings with Scalvorian government and politics, and even personal relationships, her ability to read between the lines and troubleshoot social interactions has dramatically sharpened. Time is of the essence sometimes in social situations, and Elisabeth has learned to waste none.

This diverse experience allows Elisabeth to quickly assess tense social interactions between people, sorting through and understanding the underlying issue with little direct information being presented to her.

First of all, she stopped humming. It was not a pretty sound, and while, yes, she wasn’t the most talented singer in Idalos, Elisabeth the Little was very confident her tone didn’t usually sound that wrong.

Second, why was the crying one speaking in….bells? Oh dear, more fairy things. Glancing over as she heard Balthazar speak, Elisabeth nodded to her husband. “I hear them.”

Balthazar called out his question to the fairy, giving Elisabeth time to think. It was evident that the fairy was communicating, even though Elisabeth didn’t know what was being said. However, one didn’t need to know the words to determine the situation, or at least partially. The tone of the bell-voice was sad, as had been the song – clue one.

Looking around, there seemed to be nothing in the immediate environment to help her with the mystery, so she returned her attention to the fairy, stepping closer, watching her interact with Kisaik and Nir’wei.

Body language was amazing, and the sad fairy was no exception. Elisabeth immediately had a notion, but it wasn’t until Kisaik spoke to her that she knew for sure her hunch was correct – fear.

Fear was at play – never a good thing. The young woman had quite a bit of experience with that particular emotion and empathized. Could she use that experience to help the fairy? Only one way to find out.

There was one minor issue, though. Kisaik’s word implied he would be brave ‘for the both of them,’ but Elisabeth’s experience had taught her something far different – people needed to confront their own fears. Fear was a monster of one’s own creation, and to tame that monster, to be impactful on the person themselves, they had to be the ones to do the work.

Now, she had no desire to contradict Kisaik and instead decided to give an option. Fear could only be confronted by those who held it, and the same could be valid for choosing their own path. Elisabeth could only share her experience – the fairy would need to decide how to proceed.

The small girl’s smile was bright and warm as she stepped forward, voice steady and soft. She hadn’t understood what the fairy said, but she had heard Kisaik, and hopefully, the fairy could understand her.

“Kisaik is right. Sometimes it does take another perspective to realize our potential, but fear is a temporary thing. It comes and goes.”

There were a great many moments Elisabeth could have used to illustrate her point, but one lived largely in her mind. “There was a time when I was locked inside my own mind, hearing the worst things imaginable about myself. I was scared and felt alone, but I realized that every person I’d ever known was with me in a small way. Every meeting leaves echoes and lessons inside us, altering us forever. I wasn’t alone.”

Then came the hard part.

“But even then, I had to be the one to make the voices disappear. Each time I heard something awful, I countered it. I was afraid, but I realized it. It’s alright to be scared, but we must push on through that. Fear is a part of life, part of the cycle.”

OOC
My note doesn't seem to be working so slapping this occ here with Elisa's cappie.

Snap Analysis (Socialization Capstone)

Elisabeth's experience dealing with a wide variety of people, personalities, and attitudes has led her to develop a keen social awareness of people and how they interact with each other. She's aware of the complexities of human social relationships and has a deep understanding of key social processes. In working with the settlers of Haven, her dealings with Scalvorian government and politics, and even personal relationships, her ability to read between the lines and troubleshoot social interactions has dramatically sharpened. Time is of the essence sometimes in social situations, and Elisabeth has learned to waste none.

This diverse experience allows Elisabeth to quickly assess tense social interactions between people, sorting through and understanding the underlying issue with little direct information being presented to her.

word count: 1260
Nir'wei
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Councillor of Natural Affairs
Renown: 897
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

There was clearly something terribly wrong about this situation.

The golden-haired woman singing a soft and mournful melody certainly didn't match the Flapdoodle's description of a fearful monster, she wasn't tall as a bear and those were no claws like razors on her fingertips. If anything, her wings marked her as likely another fairy, like those that had come from before, but they were all too fearful to cross into this place... or perhaps the portals to this prison-place only allowed those with some remains of mortal in their soul to pass through. As he shuffled ever-closer, he swore he could even make out the song she sang... though it was less the words, and more the message she conveyed with them. Longing. The fae had said the flapdoodle must be defeated every ten arcs. Had this been the last mortal sent to handle the Flapdoodle?

No no. She wouldn't have survived out here, with nothing to eat, for so long, in a land controlled by fae and the Induk Sweetwine. She couldn't be mortal, plus he doubted she'd be just another fairy. What if she had been something else, but lost her powers in this strange space?
"Is she an Immortal?"
To him it made the most sense in the world. Of course, it raised many more questions, but he'd handle those another time.

Maybe her answer had been in her song, but she stopped as she turned to them and revealed the truth. "So, the Flapdoodle is... oh." He'd almost hoped for a strange and wonderful creature, though the shackles she raised for them to see were so thin and flimsy that they might have been made of cloth. It would take no effort at all to break the chains and to 'free' her from this imprisonment, if she truly was just afraid to do it herself and wouldn't suddenly turn into a monster of some kind.

But what happened if she became frightened again? Would she become the creature that she had spoken of before, and fly into a rampage?

Wait. Why was he worried about that?

"Yes." Wielding his 'walking stick' as a sword, he swung straight for the flimsy chain that held one of her hands to the floor. Unlike Kisaik, he didn't wait for her agreement - after all, she'd already asked for their help, so she was clearly eager for some sort of assistance... and for once he was in agreement with the others of the group.
Suspicion, doubt, confusion... he'd handle thoughts like those another time, and he swallowed a deep breath to store them away while focusing on the task at hand, leaving only the faintest pinpricks.
The Flapdoodle. "If you have always wanted to see the world beyond this place, then you shall. When you do, you will wonder how you could ever return here... and the source of your fear will be removed, forever. The fear of the unknown, right?" It was a stab in the dark, built on little more than what he could piece together from the feelings of the song. He gave a slight smile. "Ironic, that a dragon called Cage wants us to free someone, hmm."
word count: 545
We return to where we started, and pass onwards into history.
Areia
Approved Character
Race: Mer
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Areia looked for the little faeries, and for the bad little beasts of Ol' Tuck's Run. But, it looked like the little faeries, as well as the bad little beasts, were not here. That was good, and Areia let out a long breath.

The others were not here, though, the ones who had been lured with Areia into the little faeries' devourment, and Areia looked grimly over toward the Ol' Tuck's woods. She didn't know how she had gotten out of the woods ~she thought the Ol' Tuck had transported her here~ but why he had transported her, and why he had not transported the others, she didn't know.

The others were likely being devoured by the little faeries, she thought grimly. Areia listened for the sounds of battle, or of devouring. But she didn't hear the others being devoured. That she didn't hear it was weird ~if they were being devoured in the Ol' Tuck's woods, wouldn't she have detected it?~ but, she thought too, it might be that their devouring was too distant from her to hear.

Then Areia did detect~ what? She didn't know, and then ~in a moment or two~ she did.

There were no noises, where she was. She was not so distant from the Ol' Tuck's woods that she wouldn't be able to hear the woods' noises, its normal sonance, but there was nothing. There was no sound of the little faeries' devouring, no, but there was no sound of the bugs that Areia knew were in the woods, nor the birds, nor the bad little beasts. That was weird, and wrong, and Areia's thought was that, if she was in the water, this lack of noise might mean that there was danger, here.

Areia would behave, then, like there was danger. That was all she knew to do.

Areia was big and white and visible, in this soft white body. But, she huddled down into a little ball, being as little as she was able to be in this big fluffy form. In her little ball, Areia looked and listened, and she did not move. If there was danger here, movement might inform it where she was.

It was while she was huddled down into a little ball, looking and listening, that Areia detected it.

It was voices.

The voices were loud in the distinct lack of noise. There were multiple voices, maybe two more ~or more~ than Areia's one. Areia's immediate thought was to move now, to hide. Being in a little ball and not moving might work on the potential danger, if it was in the woods~ if it was potentially out of line of sight. But it wouldn't work on the voices, who were not in the woods~ and who were a different, potential danger. The Ol' Tuck's woods were there, and though she was big and white she might ~might~ be able to hide in the woods.

There was a moment where Areia didn't know what to do. Then the moment was over and she moved to go to the woods, but~ she wasn't able to go in.

There was something stopping her from going into the woods, and in this moment of potential danger, Areia didn't inquire why. In this moment of not one potential danger, but two potential dangers, it didn't matter why~ it mattered that it was. Areia dropped into a ball once more, huddling into her big white body, and tried to be little though she was big. If there was were leaves or grass to disappear into, she would disappear ~as well as she was able~ into those. If not, she would position her back to the Ol' Tuck's woods, with her back to a big tree if she was able to, and wait for the danger in a little ball.
Notes~

Objectives~ Must do!
  • In this post, Areia notices the lack of noise. Then she notices the voices. She moves towards the woods but is stopped~ she's not able to go into the woods. She drops into a ball, making herself little, and waits.
  • Knowledge is marked.
Objectives~ Can do!
  • No~ no wild theories this time. 😢
  • No.
word count: 716
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

In the Clearing

"Cake!?" Cage asked, sounding a little surprised. But then, "Yes! All the cake you can eat!!"

He clapped his hands and then, as the fairies around fluttered and flapped and got busy (presumably, something to do with cake), he and Winston spoke.

Winston's theory regarding and Flopsy-like behaviour was evidently entirely over Cage's head. So, with an utterly confused expression he nodded, shook his head, shrugged and said. "Just so."

Objective Met: That's a craaaaaaaazy theory! ~ Extra reward in review! .

He gathered more than enough vine which he knotted together and the fairies sang with him. It was a Winston-whipped-up-storm and there was dancing. They obviously loved singing and dancing, enjoying themselves enormously. Fairies were happy to take their own verses and to sing their little fairy hearts out. They helped him with knotting, too and they were delighted to do so.

He was looking for a sign, and he got one. Where the portal had been, previously, there was a glowing in the air, a shimmering which grew bigger and bigger. Assuming that Winston rubbed the coin when that happened, then the portal opened.

At which point, they brought cake. Many different types of cake. There were fairy cakes, brownies, sponge cakes, cup cakes, death by chocolate cakes, and even lemon drizzle cakes. All offered to him, each one. Maybe he could eat while taking stock of the fact that the sight through the portal was from a very different angle...
..........cont'd
The Flapdoodle

The portal closed.

Baltha-wolf pawed and clawed at the earth, following the copper smell. He unearthed a beautiful and delicate golden leaf, just of the size to wear as a pendant on a necklace. It shouldn't smell of coppe, but it did. Of course, he had the same issue of no-thumbs, but there was the leaf. Then, wondered about the fairy woman and whether she'd swallowed bells. It seemed like a strange thing to wonder aloud and the fairy woman looked at him with some consternation. "No," she said, her voice the same tinkling. Yet somehow, now that she was speaking to him, he could understand her. "This is just my voice. Do you want a bell to eat? "

Objective Met: That's a craaaaaaaazy theory! ~ Extra reward in review! .

Meanwhile, Kisaik focused on the woman here. He told her a story and then he made a most unexpected offer. The woman looked at him and her eyes were wide with surprise and - just a little - hope. Elisabeth added her words to the tunawa's, and the Flopdoodle Fairy looked between the two. "I can't," she said to Elisabeth softly ~ and Elisabeth now understood. "I can't overcome it. It's my Flopdoodle." She said it like it was obvious and her way of being was entirely alien Spirit . Social norms did not seem to apply to her, but she looked again from one to the other. "I can't. I'm too afraid on my own," she said. Nir'wei added his words to the other two and his words gave her more strength again. She obviously doubted herself, but she felt strength from the words of those around her.

"Thank you.... I accept," she said to Kisaik and she stepped forward a half step, taking his hand.

And at that point, a rather strange thing happened. She disappeared, or so it seemed - her chains and shackles dropping to the floor. Yet, a strange change came over Kisaik. It was like - he was there, standing there, but the fairy woman was overlaid over him. He experienced it as he was him and she was her - they could talk, communicate, see each other, but they both had equal control of his body. When Kisaik spoke, his voice tinkled like bells.

Objective Met: (all three of ya!) That's a craaaaaaaazy theory! ~ Extra reward in review! .
Secret Objective Met: (Elisabeth & Kisaik) You told a story to the Flopdoodle-Fae!! ~ Extra reward in review! .
Secret Objective Met: (Nir'wei) The Cage irony!!!! ~ Extra reward in review! .

and just then, just as the shackles touched the ground, the portal opened..........

cont'd below........

Outside Sweetwine

Airea had nowhere to hide. She couldn't get into the woods, and there was not sufficient grass or leaves to fully hide her big fluffy form. She did her best and she hid the very best she could, curled up into a ball and in the darkest place she could find. In fairness to Airea, she did pretty well, with what she had to work withCompetent Stealth . The voices grew closer and louder, the footsteps difficult to hear even in the silence, because of the soft grass Airea was hiding in.

But she was there, and she was still and she was at least pretty well hidden, all things being equal.

Still, there could be no doubt that they'd seen her. The group of people (humans, biqaj, sev'ryn? Who knew? Two-legged land-walkers) numbered five and they stopped in their tracks when one of them spotted her and raised his hand.

He pointed at Airea and they all looked.

"Hello," the man who'd seen her first said. "What in the name of Tio Silver are you?"

He seemed remarkably calm, all things considered.

Portal Peeps

The portal opened and there, in front of the portal, was Winston.

However, the Portal was not where it had been. Nope. It was high in the sky, right at the top of the waterfall. There were no trees high enough to reach it, though they could climb the cliff from which the waterfall fell - of course, that would be slippery and rather dangerous.

And there was Winston please note - depending on if he eats a cake (and if he does, which one he eats), Winston may look different. :) - looking down on them. Fairies in the tens and hundreds fluttered behind him, watching.

They were very high up.

OOC Things & Stuffies

Rules, Etc

Sincere apologies for the delays!!!
Please make sure to read and respond to my posts - while this is a light-hearted "theme" - there is still danger here.
I would like you to have a go at the new knowledge system - please identify up to three knowledge per post.
Zoro has missed 2 rounds - 1 more miss and you're out :D
Oram has missed 1 round.

Objectives

Round 1:
 ! Message from: Must Do
1. Well, I think you've got stuff to react to there. Please do.....
2. Be clear where knowledge is coming from in the text.
3. Winston - you may let me know before you post what cake(s) you eat and I'll let yo know what happens. But please note that, once you've made that decision (to tell me which ones) you MUST include it in your post.
 ! Message from: Can Do
1. Include the words unicorn, basket weaving and wee-wee in your next post

I'll be posting Saturday 1st October
Please post by end of day Friday in order to ensure that your response is counted.
Talk to me if you need an extension!
word count: 1197
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Kisaik
Approved Character
Race: Tunawa
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: 780
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Kisaik was swiftly joined by a little girl, who told a story in a very grown-up way. Kisaik would have been horrified that a sweet human child had been through such an ordeal, if it weren't for his orange fairy ring which granted him a boost of morale and courage. As it was, he was glad to be with the little girl in this perilous spot. Then another came, an old man with a cane, who curmudgeonly snapped at the shackles with his cane, trying to break them.

In the end, their combined persuasive efforts drew the fairy out of her shell, out of her Flapdoodle. And so she accepted Kisaik's offer to join him. He allowed her into him, each having equal control now of his body. He would cooperate with her, and try to find a way now out of this predicament. It was, however, also important that they free the others sharing their space, as they were as much responsible for the fairy's freedom as Kisaik, and without them the Flapdoodle wouldn't be defeated. So it seemed to Kisaik.

As the portal appeared, and a ferret appeared in its frame, backed up by a chorus of fairies all chattering, singing, and watching on, Kisaik whispered to the fairy that shared his mortal shell. "See, your friends are waiting, they believe we can make it out of here!" Kisaik said it as he used Ethelynda's granted power to Inspire, granting courage not only to himself, but to the fairy, and the old man and little girl.

Kisiak went to work immediately, and found some sturdy vine that might work for a ladder to lead up to the portal. As he went about his task, he called up to the ferret. His voice sounded like bells, but Kisaik didn't know that. And anyway, he could be understood, by virtue of the mirror pendant he wore. "Can you lower a vine down, Mr Ferret!? I can bind it to our end, and we can have a climb out of here?"

Whether he understood or no, Kisaik found the sturdiest variety of vine, and using his gifted bracelet from Moseke, began growing a lattice-like ladder from it, from the ground where it grew, upwards to the top of the waterfall. Kisaik flew, ensuring at each inch and foot of the lattice that it was strong and secure. He began weaving the vines like a basket weaving officianado might, though he had little knowledge of such things himself, he knew plants and which ones could support weight.

As he went along, growing the vine, he formed it into shapes just for fun, and also to give entertainment and hope to the fairy sharing his space. "Do you like Unicorns?" He tried to form the shape of a unicorn within one portion of the lattice, and smiled at his amateurish efforts.

Finally, the vine grew all the way up. If by now, the ferret had lowered anything plant-based, like a vein or even a branch, he'd use that to bind the vines to them, using the bracelet's last bit of energy to do that, and tie it together.

Then he'd fly down, and try to show the way to the little girl and the old man, using his voice to guide them toward his constructed vine-ladder.

"Let's away! We will be right behind you! Wee, wee!" He squealed in excitement. The Flapdoodle would be defeated!
Off Topic
Kisaik is using his Taithir ability to inspire on the group.

He's also using an item he has:
Moseke's Gratitude: For endangering your own life to help her follower, Moseke grants Kisaik a small bracelet. On it are 2 moseke-granted abilities: Awarded here
- Ivy's Touch The character must be in direct contact with some form of flora to use this ability. The user is able to manipulate the plant into thick vines that are easily controllable. These vines can be used to climb, used to entrap animals and people, or kill. There are a number of uses for these vines, and once made, they will not dissipate unless willed by the user. Depending on the kind of plant the character is using to make the vines, they can be poisonous to others.

He's using his orange fairy wing power to fly around.

He's wearing his mirror pendant, that allows him to understand any language, and anyone to understand his speech in any language..

Hopefully his ashanness will strengthen the vines, but if not the Ivy Touch should be enough!

word count: 772
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Cadouri
Profession: Groundskeeper
Renown: 806
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Yellow bellied...

Winston did indeed rub the coin and open the portal... He also looked longingly at the cakes... *HICBOING*

The Devil on My Shoulder
Curiosity: So much cake!
Winston: Me gat to stay focused!
Curiosity: But look at the lemon drizzle.
Winston: Dem does look soooo gud, mun.
Curiosity: Death by chocolate is LUSH!
Winston: Is yuh CRAZY?! Dis is FAIRY cake wid da word death in et!
Curiosity: Naaaaaah! I wouldn't kill you. That's not their style.
Winston: Nuh, mun, but et might make yuh wish dem did.
Curiosity: Oh come on! Each and every one of these things does something different to you. You HAVE to try AT LEAST one!
Winston: But... Dem... Portal...
Curiosity: Perhaps one of them turns you into a DRAGON!
Winston: ...

Winston took a lump of lemon drizzle cake, eating it with glee.
It was delicious
. As he went he also took as many cupcakes as his little arms could carry, gesturing to the fairies to bring the rest (of the cupcake) to the opening of the portal. He didn't have time to take up basket weaving, so he hoped that they, or a passing unicorn might help.

"Tally..." *HICBOING* "...hooo!"

As he moved off, he began to sweat... profusely. Instead of turning his fur a dark wet sodden colour however, it made his fur matted and sticky. He looked at his arm before giving it a good sniff... "Lemon curd?!". He shrugged, licked some, loved it, turned yellow and carried on towards the portal where a vista from atop a waterfall awaited him.

I wonder what my wee-wee is like? Shhhh...

He could see the others far below and one of them called up and began to fly. He had to act quickly. Winston suppressed some panic as he shoved one end of the rope/vine through the portal towards them to ensure they had other options. Making sure not to get caught up in it as he fed the vine through, throwing arms full at a time.

He stood at the mouth of the portal, a cupcake in hand, the other hand on his hip, yellow and sticky from head to toe and casting his best 'Hero Pose'. Anyone attempting to make their way through the portal alone would get a carefully aimed cupcake tossed in their direction, with the intention of dissuading them from their course of action.

Winston had been asked very deliberately not to TELL them and so he would say nothing... but old Cage had said nothing about the deployment of high-velocity-cake-based-negotiations.

He was relieved to see that Kisaik had started preparing something to help the others and would not need to be pelted with cake.
OOC
Done:
1. Include the words unicorn, basket weaving and wee-wee in your next post

As stated, anyone that tries to leave without the others, will get cupcakes thrown at them, mercilessly. Winston does not realise this, but on impact, they shatter like cups (info from Peg).
word count: 504

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

Winston usually carries the following on his person:
  • Cassion's Locket hangs snugly around his neck.
  • Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Sweetwine Woods”