• PM To Join • At the End of My Rope

Doran Please

6th of Saun 720

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Zemos
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Creep
Renown: 160
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

At the End of My Rope

6th of Saun, 720, midmorning.

In the earliest days of Saun, there was a balminess to the air of Viden. Something that Zemos hadn't seen since... well he'd never experienced weather this warm to his recollection, which was admittedly incomplete. He didn't know if the time before the White Void contained times spent in a more temperate region, or even tropical lands even farther to the south. Yet, as he busied himself with a bit of rope-making in one of the common areas of the campus, Zemos hummed to himself. Many people avoided his gaze these days. That was nothing new, but the looks they gave him upon the advent of his witchmark was unrivaled by their previous attitude.

It seemed they had him pegged either for some sort of mutant, leper, or mage. Zemos didn't know which of those three things would be received best, so he felt it best not to confirm their suspicions either way. At least Sophie still was willing to carouse with Zemos. His only friend, it seemed at times, she was very kind and helpful. And he in turn tried to repay the favor by picking up slack during their group assignments in toxicology.

Zemos wove the rope with a very basic braid. Curling one fiber around another and in between the other, making it sturdy. He did this work partly for necessity, to create a weapon with which he could defend himself on the rougher areas of Viden's streets, where he lived. But also it was a stress relief, a pleasure even. He'd just about finished the monkey fist, wrapping it around a smooth, small river rock and then cordoning off the knot with a simple tie. This done, he bunched up the rope and slipped it into the pocket of his homespun robe. The flax he'd acquired to make the hemp rope hadn't come without its share of labor. Well earned, and he felt more prideful for having created the weapon himself.

Soon enough, however, Sophie arrived at the common area, an open floor with benches set against large botanical islands. The conifer trees growing there lent a sweet, piney scent, and traded the humid air for a more brisk taste of the outdoors, that was a welcome reprieve from the dregs of the lower prisms of Viden.

Zemos rose with a smile to greet Sophie. "Hello Soph. Good day and well met! Are we going to Professor Thetys'?"

Sophie nodded at him, "Yeah let's go. I have classes elsewhere, so I won't be staying to translate for you... I hope... well you'll have to make do."

This having been said, they made small talk as they walked along. Mostly talking about little nothings like campus gossip, various subjects related to their fields of study, and bookworms. This passed the time quite nicely until they arrived at the Professor's office, whereupon Sophie knocked for him. If they were allowed to enter, she'd open the door for Zemos, and nod quickly in greeting to the Professor. "Forgive me, Professor, Zemos wanted to see you about an appointment he had? I thought I'd take it on myself to show him where you are."

So saying, she swiftly departed when given leave to, and Zemos entered, shuffling his feet shyly toward the professor. His voluminous roughspun covered most of his body and had its share of pockets and sacks for gathering and storage of various reagents. "Professor! You wanted talk blood?" His common was terribly atrocious, but he hoped that Doran wasn't as harsh about it as Mervani was. Zemos didn't think he'd be able to learn very much without being able to ask a question here or there...
word count: 632

Identity

Nzi'Fuma is going by the name Zemos until further notice

Marks

Yithnai: Nzi'Fuma has glowing green eyes.
Witchmarks and Mutations:
  • Dread Warpaint: Zemos' upper face has a darkened discoloration, like sticky tar to the touch. It resembles warpaint.
  • Flies and other insects tend to crawl over his body intermittently. Sometimes a maggot can be seen crawling over his skin.
  • He has a slight slowness to his speech, as if he struggles to keep his tongue low in his mandible.

Text Code

Yithnain Suggestions
Dialogue
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: At the End of My Rope

The Mortalborn had lived in Viden several times during his exceptionally long life, but he could not remember the temperatures ever being that high. Usually, it was either very cold or very, very cold, depending on the time of the arc, and the city was covered with ice and snow, no matter what. For the first time, said snow had melted and been replaced by mud though. A few trials earlier, he had told his servants to stop heating his apartment, apart from for a little bit in the morning or in the evening every now and then.

There was no fire in the small fireplace in his office at the Academy either, and the window in front of which he stood, gazing at the barren courtyard below somewhat thoughtfully, was wide open which would usually have caused the room to become a rather unpleasant place.

For the past couple of seven-trials he had been too preoccupied with the completion of his Licentiate and his thesis in order to ponder such things in depth, but now that he finally had a little more time, he could not help but wonder again – and be concerned. Was the heatwave something unusual, but natural, or was there something more worrisome going on?

There were likely already all kinds of scientists conducting research, but that did not keep him from wanting to look into that weather phenomenon as well. Perhaps he would …

A knock on the door put an end to that train of thought. He closed the window and called out to enter before he returned to his desk and sat down on the chair behind it, with his back straight and his hands folded. When the door was being opened, and one of his students entered, he raised an eyebrow slightly. “Sophie, what can I do for you?” he asked politely. “Do you have a question about class or the homework that I assigned?” he wanted to know. That was why students usually came into his office.

It was then that he noticed the shy young man behind the Eidisi. It had been approximately fifty trials since had met the Sev’ryn, but he remembered the encounter as clearly as if it had taken place the trial before, as it had been rather unusual, everything considered (the fact that he had also seen Llyr for the first time since Vhalar had definitely helped him remember as well).

The student – of toxicology, if he remembered correctly – wore a rather unusual outfit which would have caused some of his colleagues to look down on him. The son of Ziell cared little about such things though, even though he was dressed in an elegant bespoke suit himself. He was more interested in someone’s intelligence and academic potential than in their clothes (as long as said clothes weren’t extremely dirty) - or whatever mutations they possessed (he figured that the marking on Zemos’ forehead was probably one).

“Blood?” he asked and inclined his head, smiling slightly, before he gestured for the Sev’ryn to take a seat. He did not mind Zemos’ broken Common. He did not speak every language perfectly either, so he was hardly in any position to judge him. “I would appreciate an opportunity to study your blood, Zemos. What would you like from me in return though? I usually pay my blood donors, or teach them a skill that they would like to learn – or offer to mention them in my research”, he explained.
word count: 584

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Zemos
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"Ahh Professor! Happy meeting!" Zemos smiled genuinely as he entered the office. His clothing, although the fabric was humble and simple, was not dirty. Zemos always took pride in cleanliness of his clothing. It was important to keep clean and tidy appearance, even if his work itself was rather dirty. He didn't have as much of an issue when out on the road or in the field, but in the Academy there were certain expectations, which he was happy to accomodate.

"You teach! Teach me alchemy maybe? I hear you are the more smart alchemist in Viden." Zemos was indeed very curious about alchemy. He'd heard things about it, that it could work wonders. Zemos liked wonders, and the wonders of magic and how the bodies worked, and such and so forth. He wished to explore all of that in time, yet his studies with poisons were rather like a wet-blanket. Although he enjoyed the subject matter, his professor was a bit... cold for his taste. Lonely-Hands Mervani had forced him to handle a spider! The egg hadn't liked that, and neither did Zemos, as the egg caused him to seize up in pain!

"No spiders though!" Zemos warned, "Lonely-Hands Mervani showed us spiders, and we didn't like that... It made us hurt."

Perhaps a bit open, but that was Zemos, often and always an open book to be read and listened to. "But, Mervani taught us so much already about toxins and... other things. He is a mean man, but good teacher. If that make sense."

Zemos hummed to himself after saying it, closing up momentarily as if embarrassed to have said too much. Nevertheless, he held out his arm, as if offering his blood to Doran. "You take blood in iron proboscis? How this work?"
word count: 304

Identity

Marks

• Dread Warpaint: Zemos' upper face has a darkened discoloration, like sticky tar to the touch. It resembles warpaint.
  • Flies and other insects tend to crawl over his body intermittently. Sometimes a maggot can be seen crawling over his skin.
  • He has a slight slowness to his speech, as if he struggles to keep his tongue low in his mandible.

Text Code

Yithnain Suggestions
Dialogue
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

“I would be honored to teach you alchemy in exchange for a vial of your blood, Zemos”, the son of Ziell replied and smiled as well. His smile was noticeably lighter than the young mortal’s, but just as genuine. He had said the truth. He appreciated the opportunity to teach someone who was likely already familiar with the basic principles. He had some experience in toxicology himself – he had invented a cure for the Rubberlegs poison together with his former assistant Zana, among other things – and thus he knew that alchemy and toxicology had a lot in common. Zemos would be unlikely to accidentally blow something up.

“I’m glad to hear that people speak so positively of me”, he remarked when Zemos told him that he had heard that he was the more smart alchemist in Viden and inclined his head before he explained to Zemos, “Alchemy is quite a versatile science that enables you to do anything from imbuing your clothes and your weapons with magical effects over crafting potions to temporarily giving someone magic. It could also enhance your knowledge of toxicology. Which aspect of alchemy would you like to learn about?” he asked, cocking his head a little to the side as he did so.

It would be best to get that question out of the way before they did anything else in his opinion.

When Zemos pointed out that he didn’t like spiders, the Mortalborn raised a dark eyebrow slightly before he assured him, “There won’t be any spiders, Zemos. You do not need to worry about that. I’m not too fond of spiders myself”, he added in a dry tone of voice. Since Llyr had told him about Sintra and what had happened in Etzos where he had lived once upon a time, the animals that he had been largely indifferent towards before had become some of his least favourite creatures in Idalos due to the possibility of them being spies.

“It makes perfect sense”, he told Zemos when the young mortal spoke of Professor Mervani as a mean, but good teacher. He had been the same after all once upon a time. A few moments later, when the Sev’ryn held out his arm, as if he were offering his blood to him, the Mortalborn raised an eyebrow slightly once more. He had never met someone that was as willing to donate blood before, with the exception of Balthazar Black.

Most people were at least a little reluctant when it came to someone sticking a needle into them.

“More or less, yes”, he replied, referring to Zemos’ last question and inclined his head. “I use a needle that I insert into one of your veins and a proboscis of sorts to draw your blood and subsequently collect it in a vial. The process is painless. It just stings a little”, he continued as a lot of people were worried about that. “Is there anything you would like to ask me before we begin though, Zemos, anything that you would like to tell me?” he asked.

He had to admit, he was rather interested in taking a closer look at the Sev’ryn’s blood due to the observations that he had made during their sparring sessions the season before, but Zemos himself was more important now, and he would focus on him for the time being.
word count: 567

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Zemos
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

As Zemos nodded, and made to move into the room, the Egg screeched and howled its protestations against the application of an iron proboscis.

"No father, he will know!
Knowledge the cursed antidote to our condition!

Pain racked Zemos' body, though he was able to maintain his composure before leaning against the threshold to the professor's office. He made a quick excuse, in that moment, "I... I can't Professor. I suddenly feel very 'ill'." Zemos's face went pale, the part that wasn't covered by blackened tar, anyway. And then, he retreated from the room. Every step he took away from the accursed locale (according to the Egg, accursed.) he grew more comfortable, and less in pain. And so he was conditioned against interacting with the professor of Alchemy. If the Egg had anything to do with it, it'd probably refuse to have anything to do with Professor Thetys in the future.

That was a shame, Zemos would've liked to learn about alchemy! SO as he drew away from the office, he began jogging down the hallways, more in command of his faculties as he put distance between himself and the office of the alchemist. The Egg began humming a soothing tune into his head as he made more and more distance between himself and the accursed lab where the Professor was taking blood.

Finally, as they put the memory of that office behind them, the Egg did speak again,

"Good steps, away from the iron spider.
It will take our blood, Ichor for accursed knowledge.

You've done well father, to flee that cold web."

Zemos had to agree. He didn't like being in pain, and that situation had certainly prompted the egg to force pain upon him!
word count: 295

Identity

Marks

Text Code

Yithnain Suggestions
Dialogue
Jackalope
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

]

It’s too bad this thread was never finished.
Doran

Experience: +15 xp

Magic xp: None

Knowledge:

Skill Knowledge:

None requested

Renown None requested

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Comments:

Zemos

Experience: +15 x.p.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Knowledges:

Alchemy: Blood Magic: Taking blood of a mage or marked in order to understand the origin of abilities.
Endurance: The Egg can inflict horrible pain compliance upon its host.
Medicine: Drawing blood as a process in alchemy and medicine.
Textile Production: Crafting a rope from flaxen cloth.
Textile Production: Tying a monkey's fist knot.
Textile Production: Braiding a rope.

Renown None.

Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Comments:
For ease of reference, I am duplicating these comments in the main body of the post.

This is my first Zemos thread. He is an interesting character. His social anxiety and his self-consciousness on account of his poor Common are well-portrayed here. I appreciate the fact that you let the Egg present your PC with an actual problem, one that prevents him from going through with his deal with Doran to learn more alchemy.

The idea of personifying the Egg and giving it an agenda that might be at odds with Zemos’ goals is interesting. I would be curious to see how this plays out in the future!

My only quibble with the request is that I don’t think braiding a rope or making a monkey’s fist qualify as “Needlecraft” since Zemos didn’t seem to use any sort of knitting or sewing needle nor crochet hook in the process. I made all of these knowledges “Textile Production”.

Comments: This is my first Zemos thread. He is an interesting character. His social anxiety and his self-consciousness on account of his poor Common are well-portrayed here. I appreciate the fact that you let the Egg present your PC with an actual problem, one that prevents him from going through with his deal with Doran to learn more alchemy.

The idea of personifying the Egg and giving it an agenda that might be at odds with Zemos’ goals is interesting. I would be curious to see how this plays out in the future!

My only quibble with the request is that I don’t think braiding a rope or making a monkey’s fist qualify as “Needlecraft” since Zemos didn’t seem to use any sort of knitting or sewing needle nor crochet hook in the process. I made all of these knowledges “Textile Production”.

Let me know if either of you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 431
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”