• Closed • A Soldier's Defiance

Vivian gets initiated by Praetorum

7th of Cylus 721

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 648
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A Soldier's Defiance

7th of Cylus, 721, Storm's Edge
Vivian looked up at the sky and let out a soft sigh. The war was well and truly over now, and all the people who had come to Storm's Edge for it were already going home. They were working on repairing the lingering damage to the fort, and the base's garrison was getting brought back down to it's usual numbers. Vivian, for her part, had retained command of Storm's Edge, and she looked back down at her troops working on repairing the walls and grinned happily. It was finally over, and they had peace, and maybe even a chance to reclaim the Stormwastes! Despite that the base was already getting quieter, there was still an air of celebration among the troops and she was excited as well.

However, there were other things for her to do and she didn't let her mood distract her. She spoke to a soldier and got directions for the person she was looking for, then finally tracked him down. "Hello, there Praetorum." she said, waving as she approached the Ithecal. Praetorum had been a great help in the finale of the war, and she grinned at him. "I didn't get a chance to thank you properly for your help against Rhaum and the Purveyor. None of us expected to get dragged into that fight, and you were a lot of help with it." she said, her tone cheerful.

Then, after a seconds hesitation, she brought up something. "That magic you used was Defiance, wasn't it? Varlum uses it as well, though he focuses more on fire and earth. I was curious if you'd mind teaching me more about it, if you don't mind. I know not all mages like to talk about their magic, but I figured you might be willing to talk to about it a bit more than others, given we're both runewrights." she said, grinning slightly at the end. Praetorum's runes were much stronger than her own, but they did have that shared power at least.
word count: 352
Please send all PM's to Basilisk.
Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: A Soldier's Defiance

The war was over, and all there was left to do was rebuild. 

There were, as it turned out, many things a defier could do when repairing stone wall, and with his mutations temporarily soothed, Prae did most of them over the course of the morning. He'd just finished settling the stone on one section of the fort when he saw someone approaching out of the corner of his eye. 

His suspicion spark flared up in panic, and reached out reflexively, only to find a familiar frequency. "Commander." Prae turned with a slight smile, dipping his head in acknowledgement as he withdrew from her frequency. She'd made a strong impression on him during the battle against Rhaum, and it seemed he'd done the same. "It was the least I could do. Men like that..." Prae grimaced. "Well, I'm glad we made it with no casualties. We both did our part in making that happen."

He listened curiously as she continued, considering her request. "I don't mind talking about it." he said. "Defiance is about... communing with the elements. Listening to their voices, building a relationship until they listen to yours. When they like you enough, the elements can act against their own nature for you." Prae raised a claw; a small, candle sized flame lit up at the very tip of it, before growing and lengthening into a sinuous snake that slithered and twined around his hand and wrist before vanishing.

"They become your closest friends. You grow to rely on them, and they protect you in turn. You've seen the things that Varlum, Balthazar and I were capable of—it's a magic with a lot of flexibility and uses, if you're creative. What else do you want to know? Did you have a project in mind you need a defier for?"

word count: 310
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

When Prae said they'd made it through the battle with no casualties, Vivian sighed slightly and looked over the fort, in the direction of the fort's graveyard. "Through that battle, yes, but we lost too many getting there." she said, a sort of resigned sorrow to her voice. Good men and women always perished in war, and there had been no doubt in anyone's mind that they had fight against Rhaum and his flameborn. Vivian knew and accepted that, but it didn't make those losses any easier. But she knew what Praetorum had meant and she turned back to the Ithecal and smiled. "You are not wrong, though. That fight could have been much worse." she said, not mentioning that she had enjoyed the fight despite the high stakes and danger. Most people wouldn't understand that, and Vivian understood why most would find it disquieting.

When Praetorum started talking about what Defiance was like, she listened intently. It was an interesting sounding magic, to be sure. "It sounds like it creates a relationship between you and the world around you. Though I imagine it gets overwhelming at times, if you're hearing the elements talk to you at the same time as everything else." she said, her tone curious as she looked at the flame he created before it vanished. She nodded when he mentioned the power she had seen himself, Varlum, and Balthazar wield. It was quite versatile indeed.

When he asked if she had a project in mind, though, she shook her head. "I'm curious more than anything right now. I'd like to learn it, one day, but I also want to learn about it in general, even if I never do learn it." she said, looking at the wall Prae had been helping repair. "Not really out of a desire for personal power, I've got plenty and to spare in that department." she said, holding up her index finger as the end of it started to glow. "But it's limited, mostly internal. Palenon gives me lightning to use, makes me faster when I'm sober and stronger when I'm not. Celarion lets me better work with my allies in a fight, Gwelliph lets me detect lies, and Maerzek gives me tools. My own inborn powers are limited either combat focused or passive in nature." she said, tracing the outline of an Endurance Rune in the air as she spoke.

"Hone and my Warden powers let me enhance or heal others, certainly." she said, letting the rune dissipate as her finger stopped glowing. "But I can't do anything like this, and I have to rely solely on Defiance wielders knowing where best to use their magic. I can't even really effectively advise in it's use, in battle or out." she said, patting the wall Prae had just finished repairing. "I guess I'm just trying to understand the magic, so that I can more effectively advise those who have it when we're working together. I can't help but think we could have been more efficient in the past if I'd fully understood everything everyone had at their disposal." she said, grinning slightly at the end.
word count: 543
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Praetorum followed Vivian’s gaze out towards the graveyard. It was true, many people had died to the nickels before they’d finished it with Rhaum. Still, Prae continued to count Rharne lucky. Prae had been at war before, and it almost never got to finish with a single, isolated battle between a bare dozen people. Nevermind one where one side could win so decisively.

“Overwhelming?” Prae considered that for a moment. “Perhaps at first. But as you get used to it, it simply becomes a part of you. Like the taste of your own mouth or the feeling of your own hide.”

Vivian’s desire to learn more, Prae could understand perfectly. Someone in a position of leadership needed to know everything they could about their followers’ capabilities, and if no one else, Prae knew there was Varlum among the ranks of the wardens.

As for what she’d mentioned about her own capabilities…“Well, I suppose defiance would cover those limitations well.” He mused. “Defiance is almost all external, all about asking the world to do things for you. It’s very direct like that—there’s a reason so many defiers seem to also be warriors. Fighting and defiance work very well together.”

“I don’t just mean that it can improve your combat capabilities, although it certainly does that. Personally, I find the ability to manipulate the battlefield much more useful, as well as the increase to my mobility. Although—” he laughed, remembering Vivian leaping about like a deadly whirlwind of lightning and metal “—I expect you already have that aspect of combat covered.”

“The elements have something of a mind of their own. I can’t count the times the wind has pulled me away from a blow, or knocked an arrow off course. As for what we can do deliberately, Defiance can shatter the ground, dig tunnels, conjure waves and whirlwinds. It can knock an enemy off their feet and send you flying through the air. It can spark off a forest fire, and create walls and shelters.”

Prae paused. “Normally, anyways. Defiance is a very individual magic—or perhaps it’s just my spark that has too strong a personality.” He smiled wryly. “My spark dislikes stillness. If I don’t suppress it with attunement, it won’t let me create anything static. It demands movement, continual change—”

He shook his head. “I’m getting off topic. Was there anything more specific you wanted to know?” He grinned lightly as something occurred to him. “If you wanted, we could have a spar—let you see first hand how the elements can be used.”
word count: 440

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Vivian nodded as Prae said that Defiers got used to the elements talking to them. "Yes, I suppose you would have too." she said, her tone musing. When he started talking about how it would cover her limitations, she nodded, before giving an open grin as he mentioned that a lot of Defiers seemed to also be warriors. "I think it's more that many warriors are also Defiers, at least above a certain level." she said, leaning against the wall Prae had made. "Most soldiers or mercenaries, they don't actually like to fight. Most folk are scared of pain and death, after all, and not without reason. But soldiering can pay very well, and it comes with free room and board. Lots of them are just looking to make a living, get enough money to buy their own farm or shop, or to provide for their family." she said, shrugging slightly. "But to the rest of us, those of us that do like to fight, it becomes a craft. And like any craftsman, we're always looking for new tools to better our craft." she said, her tone cheerful.

When he started talking about specific ways it could help her combat prowess, she nodded when he pointed out her mobility. "A gift of mine, admittedly. Most other Palenon users don't seem quite as comfortable throwing themselves around with lightning bolts as I am. Thought it has it's own limits as well. It's a form of short range travel, basically. I can't use it to make minor adjustments in mid-air, for instance, and it's near to useless in enclosed spaces." she said, before grinning slightly. "But it's great if I'm fighting in the open, especially if there's multiple enemies." she said cheerfully. Between Rising Lightning, Ride the Lightning, and her own battlefield sense, she could single handedly keep quite a few enemies from going much of anywhere she didn't want them to.

When he talked about what Defiance could do passively, or on a broad scale, she nodded, before tilting her head when he talked about Spark personalities. "My Hone mentor told me that Spark Personalities can be profoundly impactful." she said, before shaking her head. "But I've never noticed it with my Hone Spark. I guess...maybe I'm a bit more of a show off, flashier in my fighting. Not using unnecessary flourishes or other such wasteful idiocy, but I really started making the most of my lightning after I became a Runewright." she said, before shrugging. "But that could just be me, as well. I've always been a bit arrogant, a bit of a show off. Not like some of those self-absorbed idiots in Rynmere, not since I was part of the civil war there, but it's still part of me." she said, her voice quiet.

When Praetorum suggested they spar, though, she gave him a friendly, open grin that was edged just a bit by a sort of competitive aggression. "I'm always up to spar. I should warn you, in all fairness, that I don't hold back. After all, every bruise you get in the practice ring is an injury you won't take in a real fight." she said,
laughing a bit as she said it. Fortunately, they were on the wall above the training area. "If you're still up for it, I'm ready whenever you are." she said, a slight eagerness in her voice.
word count: 589
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Prae rubbed at his muzzle, considering Vivian’s words. He understood what she meant—when he’d been a soldier, he’d met both sorts, those who’d signed up for money, and those that had signed up because they were born to fight. Of the latter group, he could think of precious few who wouldn’t have leaped at the chance to learn defiance, not with how useful and suitable it was.

From her description and what he’d seen, the Palenon ability to travel through lightning was shockingly similar to Prae’s own mutation. Although he was quite confident it didn’t come with the same limitations and risk that his did. Still, it was close enough that he thought he could pick up a few ideas watching Vivian use her power. And he had a feeling he’d be seeing her use it, if she agreed to a spar.

Prae hummed thoughtfully when the conversation turned to spark personalities, mentally going through what little he knew. “Perhaps it’s something about hone sparks—mine is also very compatible with my personality.” He shrugged. “Or it could just be luck. Spark personalities, I think, have the most impact when they’re dissimilar to your own.”

Then Vivian accepted his offer of a spar with a grin he knew well. He’d worn it himself, when he was younger. For those who made combat their craft, the chance to test yourself against another was too good to pass up. “I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he said when she told him she wouldn’t hold back. He was keen to see her in action, when the fate of Rharne wasn’t resting on their shoulders and he could focus on her.

"Alright then," Prae laughed. "Let's go." And with that, he turned, and walked off the wall and into thin air. Wind whipped around him as his first kin caught him easily, and he started flying down towards an open sparring ring. As he did so, wind spun and twisted around Vivian as well, not enough to pick her up off her feet, but a clear invitation; if she chose to follow him off the wall, the wind would carry her safely to the ring as well. 

Of course, Prae thought wryly as he landed, it was just as likely that she'd make her own way off the wall, mobile as she was. Summoning his quarterstaff, he settled into a ready stance. "Since this spar is to show you what defiance can do, I'll keep suppressing my spark—it'll remove all mutations, good and bad, so everything I do in this fight can be done by any defier with enough skill." He smiled, eager and just a little bit excited.

"Shall we begin?"
word count: 470

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Vivian shrugged slightly when Prae mentioned Spark personalities. "I know little and less about such things, but I was taught to always keep my Spark under control, or I risk the Spark controlling me. Given that we fought a war against a mage that, apparently, lost control to her Spark, it seems to be pretty valid advice." she said, frowning a bit at the memory of Ellasin. She hadn't been a tough opponent, in the end, but they had spent seasons preparing for that fight, and it had paid dividends when the time came for the final confrontation.

When Prae walked off the wall, Vivian watched him descend with interest and when she felt the wind tug at her, she followed him off with a level of comfort that most would probably find surprising. Vivian had never been scared of heights, and she had always wanted to fly. Besides, if the wind didn't catch her, she could always catch herself with Palenon, so falling was not something that was of particular concern to her. The wind did catch her though, and it carried her down to the sparring ring quite smoothly, getting an excited laugh from the usually reserved knight. "Oh, that is a neat trick." she said as she landed. Before the spar started though, she took her sword off her belt and set it in a sword rack, picking up a training sword that was comporable enough to Shiryu's weight that it felt decent enough to use. Training with edged steel was a fools risk, after all, since it could end in pretty severe injuries.

She didn't pick up a shield, since she didn't always use one and she could always use the Brightgleam armor to give herself armor and a shield if she felt the need to switch to her armored fighting style. So, with just a sword, she stepped into the ring and, grinning slightly as Praetorum readied for a fight. "You're familiar with Hone, so I guess in return, I'll show some of what Palenon lets me do." she said, though she didn't actively switch into a fight stance. Instead, lightning began to gather around her feet and when he asked if she was ready, she smiled. "I am." she said, before she used her lightning and lept forward.

Rising Lightning was fast, carrying her as far forward as she could jump in about a trill. She used it to close the distance between her and the big Ithecal, and she gathered more lightning as the jump was underway. She swung at him as she came out of the jump and as soon as she registered her feet touching the ground, which was faster than most people thanks to Three Sheets to the Wind, she used her gathered lightning and jumped out of his immediate attack range. She had other tricks, of course, but this was her most use of Palenon in a fight: Using Rising Lightning, made more effective the speed and reaction boost granted by a sober Three Sheets, to either leap in and out of opponents attack range or between multiple opponents, making her harder to hit because she was never in a single place for very long.

She used it against Prae now, waiting to break out her other tricks until she knew more of what he had at his disposal. After all, it was never a good idea to tip your hand early.
word count: 581
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Prae grinned slightly at Vivian's laugh as she landed. "It's something, isn't it? There's nothing quite like feeling the wind in your face and beneath your feet." There was, Prae reflected as Vivian switched out her weapon, nothing quite like flying under your own power. If she did choose to be initiated into defiance, he had a feeling Vivian would come to feel the same. 

"Much appreciated," Prae said when Vivian offered to show him what Palenon could do. He felt much the same way about it that she had mentioned feeling about defiance—that he could have made much more effective decisions if he'd understood what the mark allowed those who had fought alongside him to do. 

Praetorum had seen Vivian in action before, watching her leap too and fro across a battlefield—but it was a very different experience watching her leap directly towards him. Fates, but she was fast. From a ready position, he was able to get his staff up in time to decisively block her blow, but if he'd been caught off guard, or hadn't been prepared for her speed, he'd have had to pull out a few tricks of her own to keep from getting hit. 

As Vivian retreated, Prae considered chasing, not letting her pull off these hit and run tactics, before setting the thought aside for later. Defiance wasn't as fast as her lightning, and Prae wanted to have the move ready before she even landed in front of him next time in order to react quick enough. Instead, as Vivian leaped backwards, Prae stomped on the ground, propelling three fist sized stones into the air. Barely a heartbeat later, he jabbed rapidly at the air with his staff, sending each stone shooting towards Vivian in quick succession.

These movements of his weren't strictly speaking necessary—but Prae had his reasons for doing them anyways. Partially habit, partially tactics. 

As Vivian reacted to the stones, Prae reached for his inner flame, and caressed his weapon, wreathing it in fire. "You might have seen defiers do this before," he mentioned as the flames licked all along his quarterstaff without burning it. "For the record, you can do this with all four elements. Even a refined element, for those who reach that level." 

This time, Praetorum didn't wait for Vivian to approach, instead, darting in to assault Vivian with a flurry of jabs. He looked forwards to seeing what other tricks the Lightning Knight could pull out.
word count: 424

Head

Arms

Misc