[Solo] Whiskey and Water

Darbyton is a well established little village, most of the inhabitants are quick to point out that they were the first proper settlement in Scalvoris history. Although primarily focused on logging, enough hunting and trapping goes on to largely fulfil their own food needs and almost every home regularly grows bean sprouts to help make sure nutritional needs are met. Between that and spruce tips and the like, very little is imported, which fits in with the nature of the people who live here.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Bond
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Vagabond
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Solo] Whiskey and Water

1 Ymiden, 720
Darbyton

“You ever worry you’re gonna be sitting too close to a campfire one night and just burst into flame from a stray spark, eh Amew?” Bond asked with a grin as he accepted the bottle of whiskey from Wulfa. “On account of all that bear shit you like to roll around in?”

All six men sitting around fire pit laughed, including the victim of the inquiry. Rangers, one and all, accustomed to the silence that accompanied them on their solitary treks. Opportunities such as this, amidst colleagues and sharp-witted strangers, such banter was welcome. Welcome, and returned to sender with a fervor to match.

“Aye, the proposition haunts my every waking hour,” the short, Auburn haired Ranger replied, slapping the stained leather jerkin, “But at least the bears leave me alone! Shame your pa didn’t hold himself to the same habits, else he might’ve spared himself for siring such a lousy cub.”

Bond snorted, sending the liquor destined for his stomach through his nasal cavity instead, splashing the flames with a fiery blast of liquid that sizzled and popped. A similar sensation permeated in his nose as the wayfarer passed the drink onward to Lyne. He wiped snot and whiskey out of his mustache with the back of his hand as he continued to chuckle.

Across the pit, Botio chimed in, patting Amew on the shoulder with a wide, calloused hand. Then, glancing at his palm with a disgusted grimace, he wiped it on his pants legs while adding, “You’d be wise to listen to Amew’s suggestions, Bond, what him being raised in these woods. Shame his parents couldn’t stand the sight of his ugly mug and left him out here, but he has no doubt benefitted from the hardship.”

“Well I already know the basics,” Bond responded, raising a balled fist, which he used to count along with his following words. “First is food, and water is a very close second. Shelter is third,” He raises a fourth finger and jabs them all in the direction of Rewyn, who had just received the bottle from Lyne. “And if I find myself within a mile of his ma’s place, fourth would be her company.”

Rewyn, the youngest of the Rangers, flushed red at the thought, which only sent his elders into a new round of hoots and hollers. “Well shit, Bond,” Lyne said, jabbing a finger across the field way, in the general direction of the Whisker River. “With such a well-rounded understanding, you might as well head on down to HQ and join up with us.”

“The day I wish to trade in the love of a woman’s companionship for that of the local wildlife, I waltz right in there and do that, emphasizing your recommendation. And afterwards, you could introduce me to your girl, if she can elude the shepherd that is.”

Raucous, unfiltered laughter that was only interrupted after about ten trills by a timid voice. “Whiskey’s out,” Rewyn said, tilting the bottom upside down to emphasize the statement.

“And with it, my only excuse for lingering about with you bastards,” Wulfa bellowed, pushing himself to his feet. He nodded to Bond. “Always a pleasure, Bond. You sticking around for a while?”

“For a few trials, aye,” the wayfarer responded, glancing about as the other men gathered their belongings as well. “Until the oxen grow restless. Leave them alone too long in one place and I’ll wake to find that they’ve moved onto the next town without me.”

“A smart pair, them, to want to distance themselves from you.” Botio replied, chuckling to himself. “Until next time, friend.”

The other Rangers offered similar farewells, until only Rewyn and Amew remained. Bond noticed the younger ranger looking towards the river nearby, finger tracing the mouth of the bottle in his hand. “Where you headed, kid?” Bond asked, tracing his gaze while he spoke.

“Gonna wash this out in the Whisker,” he replied, gesturing to the empty bottle. “I like to collect them.”

“Well I hope you don’t mind the company on such a perilous journey.” Bond exclaimed, pushing himself to his feet. “Amew, I know that this afternoon was slated to be your seasonal bath trial, but young Rewyn and I would appreciate it if you spared us the contamination.”

Amew snorted as he turned to depart, raising a hand over his shoulder with an obscene gesture directed towards the wayfarer before moving away in the direction of the village. Rewyn kicked sand on the fire, snuffing it out, before moving in the opposite direction. Bond followed, hands in his pocket.

“How long have you been moving about, Bond?” The youth asked after a moment of silence as they headed towards the river.

“Oh, fifteen, sixteen arcs, I’d say now.” Bond replied. “Started meandering about when I was younger than you are now, after my first set of plans fell through.”

“And what were those? Craftsman, trader?”

“Pirate.” Rewyn looked at the wayfarer wide eyed. “It was legal back then, or at least, it was the status quo. But the Lords didn’t see a need for a scrawny teenager who couldn’t even swim on their ships, so I settled for a wagon instead. And would you look at that, my wagon is still in operation, whereas those finicky buccaneers are not, so I’d call that a victory.”

“Did you ever learn to swim?”

“Why do you ask?” Bond replied, raising an eyebrow towards the youth. “Looking to assemble a crew?”

For the first time that night, Rewyn chuckled. Before, with the others, he had been timid, overwhelmed by the strong personalities and the coarse conversation. Bond was glad to bring the kid out of his shell.

The pair drew up to the banks of the river, the currents cutting through the general silence of the evening. Rewyn moved to the shallows, dipping the bottle into the water to rinse it. Wandering about, Bond’s eyes found several large tracks in the muddy to his right. Hooved feet, as far as he could tell. A deer perhaps.

“Animal tracks are a great way to find water, if you’re ever in need.” Rewyn called out from the banks, watching the wayfarer. They know the land better than we do most times.”

Bond nodded, moving towards the young man. “Thought Amew might’ve joined us after all, though the absence of his stench should’ve told me otherwise.” The wayfarer drew up beside the Ranger. “Alas, you’ll have to suffer my hypotheticals instead. I haven’t found water, and there are no discernable animal tracks that I can make out. How do I proceed?”

He had found that an easy way to engage with a timid individual was to direct a conversation towards their areas of expertise. Man, Bond had observed, longed to come off as competent, especially among strangers. This was not easily controlled in large groups like before, so someone always inevitably fell to the wayside in the chaotic currents of banter. But give him someone one on one, and Bond could do his best to make that person the smartest in the group, all the while learning in the process. Great for intelligence gathering and general education as well.

As expected, Rewyn took the opportunity. Pushing to his feet, the ranger took a moment to scan the surroundings before gesturing to a distant creek. “My Da always taught me that water never stops falling. Rivers are fed from above by smaller creeks and other watersheds. Their distinctive, even in the dry seasons when there might not be water in them. Rounded stones, muddy divots headed down a slope. Clear signs of water below somewhere if you can spare a potentially longer search.”

Rewyn dug into his satchel, pulling out a metal object and tossed it to Bond to inspect. It was a tube of sorts, opened on two ends, with a wider mouth on one end. “Alternatively, there are certain trees you can tap that will yield water. Maple and sycamore trees are good for this, and birches, walnuts, and hickory trees are options as well. I’d avoid any coniferous trees.”

“I just drive this into a tree, then?” Bond asked, observing the object.

“Aye, just a few inches, enough to tap into the sap veins. Stick a bucket or a canteen underneath to catch it as it comes out. If you don’t have a spile, just gotta hollow out a small stick for the same effect.”

“Clever,” Bond responded, tossing the spile back to the Ranger. “Your Da taught you right, kid.”

Rewyn grinned, pocketing the metal piece. “Taught me a lot of things, the old codger.”

Bond glanced at the sky and the setting sun in the distance. “Well, I won’t keep you after dark, lest your Ma hear about it and get jealous. But if you’re around in the morning with nothing to do, I was probably gonna try my hand at a bit of fishing.”

“I’m not due for my next range for a few trials, so I can probably swing it,” the young man replied, tucking the bottle into his satchel. “And if your line gets hung, I won’t even make you pretend you know how to swim to fetch it.”

Bond grinned. Timid no longer. “Until then, then.”

word count: 1576
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Solo] Whiskey and Water

Bond:

Knowledge:
Field Craft: Animal Tracks can be followed to find Water
Field Craft: Water travels down
Field Craft: Signs of an old or dried out Watershed
Field Craft: Trees can be tapped for water and sap
Field Craft: Deciduous Trees are good for tapping, coniferous trees not so much
Intelligence: Encouraging a Target to talk about their areas of expertise will often yield valuable information

Loot: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.

- - -
Comments: I enjoyed this thread, just a few men sitting around a campfire, talking and drinking. You captured the atmosphere very well in my opinion, and the dialogue was great and felt natural. The NPCs all seemed a little different from each other. When I reached the end of the thread, I was disappointed – because I wanted to read more!

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 142

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Darbyton”