• Site News • News & New Features!

This thread will keep you updated on news and new features!

Announcements which apply to the whole site.

Moderator: Staff

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: News & New Features!

That's some fine land you got there. Be a shame if someone put a fence around it...

The staff are currently rejigging the way the purchase of land is handled, as it was somewhat vague and underdeveloped before. Although we strive for simplicity, the conversion of wp to land value was somewhat out of balance.

So if you're in the market for more land, hang tight pilgrim. We're working on it.

This doesn't affect people who have already bought land or who want to buy houses in cities, this is a going forward change.

word count: 98
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hello everyone. New feature to announce here today. While character death is something of a rarity in Standing Trials, it's still a distinct possibility. And as such, it's fairly obvious that the first three tiers of succession packages didn't offer a lot of comfort to players who do lose the characters that they have worked so long and so hard on.

While every bit helps and can be appreciated, we felt there ought to be a greater range of options for Prophets to vote for in the case of long-lived and well-developed characters who may have the misfortune of dying. Therefore, we're introducing a few more options to the potential succession awards, that will as ever be voted on by Prophets.

So going forward, we'll be introducing more advanced options for succession characters. The new succession write-up, where you can check out these changes can be found here: wiki/index.php?title=Category:Succession

Stay safe all, and strive ever onward.

word count: 169
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Minor Rule Change.....

We've changed the rules so that Mortalborns are now able to become Ghosts. All site volunteers have voted on this, and it was agreed unanimously that it is important to have the same options open to all pcs.

As always- any questions please ask.

=Peg=
word count: 49
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hey guys. We've voted on a rule change to collaborative threads. This will be applied effective immediately going forward. The change will be reflected in an edit to the Review Queue thread.

"You may usually choose 8 Skill Knowledge from your thread after you've made a total of 3 posts. In most cases, this is the minimum. However, if the evidence of collaboration is strong enough, then a Peer Reviewer may award Collaboration Knowledge for less posts. If you feel this applies to you, identify the "additional" knowledge in your review and put forward a brief (one or two sentence) justification. For every post made after three, you gain an additional skill knowledge. Auto 15 points upon completion no matter what."

If you have any questions regarding this change, please contact either myself, Strange, or Pegasus. Thank you.

word count: 140
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

New Cycle = New Wealth Rule In Place!

Welcome to the Hot Cycle! Remember, this marks the following change to your Wealth Skills.
From the 1st of this Cycle (not grandfathered back - that would be too confusing) players may claim a bonus to their Wealth Thread depending on the level of their Wealth Skill. This is as follows:
Expert = + 1 WP
Master = + 3WP
GM = + 5WP
Tier 2 = + 10 WP

This bonus will be per wealth thread and will be on top of the usual wage. Players need to show their mathematical working - out in the claim. This is on top of any other bonus and does not impact the base wage at all and applies to all PCs, whether wilderness or wage-earning.

=Peg=
word count: 123

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

New Cycle =Travel Times Update!!!

A massive shout out to Brent Forrester's player - one of our Wiki Workers. Brent has been working away on creating some stunning new maps for us! Please check out the existing pages on the wiki which have been updated - the "main" map now has travel times on it.

Brent has also standardised our travel times which has meant that the majority of travel times have reduced. Some have stayed more or less the same. If you are travelling in this Cycle, you can grandfather in these times (we had hoped to announce this on the 1st).

We're currently working on travel time lists and these will also be coming to the wiki very soon. Huge thanks to Brent for all his hard work!!

=Peg=
word count: 131

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Point Panks!
Delicious Point Panks...

Hey all! A few new items for you guys to enjoy on the point bank. Please bear in mind that some of these items may be able to be acquired via other methods in game, and that nobody is locked out for not participating in the point bank system.

This just gives an added incentive to those who contribute to their time to admin duties, reviews, and other things.

Point bank items

1. Youthening Elixir: 100 pbp: A special rejuvenating elixir that can reverse the aging process! Once imbibed, the drinker may reverse the aging process by up to 3 arcs.

2. Physical Mutation: 250 pbp: The player may design single mutation that manifests physically. This cannot confer any extra abilities, but is only for show. (such as bunny ears, a fluffy tail, etc.). Mutation must be psf'd, and should be included in a story where it's gained.

3. Mental Mutation: 200 pbp: The player may design a single mutation that affects their mind/emotional state. This does not confer any extra abilities or skills, but may be used as a way of justifying a major change in your character's mental state. Mutation must be psf'd and should be included in a story where it's gained.
If there are any questions as always contact me or your local mod.

Have a nice day!

word count: 232
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Code! BB Code!!!!!!

The coding that we do on the site can be a bit ... tricky to understand. So - in an attempt to make your boxcodes pretty and things - here's a bit of a list of what we have. It's not exhaustive and we'd love to see more. Feel free to add to it if we've missed something, it's an open thread. Hope this is useful!

here tis!

=Peg=
word count: 74

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Resources Primer!!!

Hey all!

We've put together a "Resources Primer" for those who are wishing to source their resources by means other than the Shoppe. This primer is here

The Wiki Workers are working hard behind the scenes and we will be updating already existing resources (like this) - new Resources which are developed will be following this format.

Thanks - hope that makes things easier !

=Peg=
word count: 66

Basilisk Snek
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Renown: 10
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

FLIGHT OF THE DRAGONS

Yes, Dragons. Dragons are coming to Idalos, and I finally have some stuff I can share with you in regards to Dragons and what all their arrival will entail. But first, I'm going to answer a few brief questions that I've seen floating around. After that, we'll take a look at Dragons in general, as well as a sneak peak at the first Dragon we've developed. Finally, we'll answer a few questions I expect to be asked after the reveal.

What took so long? Yeah, for those not in the know, Dragon Development was announced last year, and then some more details were given on Dragon Appreciation Day of this year. As it is now mid August, allow me to explain the delays. First off, when I announced Dragon Development, I said that development on Dragons had begun, and that was quite literal. That was the very day the process of making Dragons a thing started. Shortly after that, however, the project was put on hold due to staff departures, as we had to resolve issues like The Call, Spiritborn, and The War of Death and Souls, among other things. There was a lot going on, and we had to focus on what was already in play.

Development picked up again, though, and it went fairly smoothly until late last year, when real life basically kicked me in teeth. Early last year, my father had been diagnosed with kidney failure and had gone on dialysis. So that was already distracting. Then my grandmother passed away just before Thanksgiving due to a mixture of old age, diabetes, and dementia. The day after, my father was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. It killed him two weeks later. So needless to say, I was not exactly firing all cylinders and pretty much anything I was doing slowed way the hell down. Hell, some of the stuff I was doing off-site was either cancelled altogether or still hasn't resumed.

Then, shortly after I recovered enough to start working on things again, Covid-19 hit the USA and everything slowed down again as we adjusted to that. Then, for even more fun, I had to move house in April. So packing for that, and then unpacking after, took a bunch of time and focus. So yeah, time to make Dragons was lacking.

However, real life being all kinds of hell was not the only thing making this take so long. See, as this announcement will explain, Dragons are not just animals in Idalos. They come with special mechanics that we had to pretty much develop from scratch. This is, put simply, not a short or simple process and several ideas were suggested and then either scrapped or heavily reworked over the development time to arrive at the format we're going to be using for Dragons. Alongside various changes made as Lore Analysis progressed, just developing the outline and format we're using for Dragons took time.

Will it be this long before the next update? No. While it will still take some time for Dragon Development to be finished, updates will be coming faster from now on, barring more real life shenanigans. This is due to the outline and format being finished, so all the foundational work, the most difficult part of the process, is already done.

Will there be little pocket Dragons? Yes, but those won't be covered in this update. Rest assured, I have not forgotten Rumours pocket Dragons, and they'll have a place on the site.

Right, on to some reveals.

Dragons First Dragons themselves. In our setting, Dragons are not just big reptiles with a bad attitude. They part of the original Pantheon of Idalos, before the Originals came and made the Immortals. They are an ancient power, stronger than even the Immortals and a primal part of Idalos itself. Indeed, while Idalos exists, so do the Dragons that were made to safeguard it. However, some were sealed away, whether by the Originals or other, far more ancient powers. Others were slain, and their souls have been waiting all this time to be reborn and and take wing over Idalos once more.

In short, Dragons are godlike beings of immense power who have been away from Idalos for a very, very long time. Some might bear old grudges against the Immortals, others might never have heard of them, and others still may consider them to now be a natural part of the world. Either way, the arrival of Dragons will have a substantial impact on the setting. However, Dragons are not coming alone. Each Dragon has a flight of Dragonlings in tow, smaller draconic creatures that are nonetheless powerful on their own.

The first Dragon we've developed is Frosvinndur, the Lord of Winter Winds. Sealed behind the Northern Barrier and recently discovered by a small group of PC's, Frosvinndur has been sealed away since long before the Originals ever arrived on Idalos. He is, as you might have guessed, a winter themed Dragon with direct power over cold and wind, as well as a few other tricks hidden under his wings.

Here's a glance at what Frosvinndur will look like on the wiki.

Dragonlings Dragonlings are smaller draconic creatures that serve their associated Dragon. Dragonlings have powers of their own, and they can grow stronger. They are bound to those who serve their Dragon, often acting as mounts for Bearers of a Dragons power. Each Dragonling flight is unique, with powers derived from their Dragon, and each one has different speeds, powers, personalities, and they all interact with their Bearer in different ways.

Quick thing to note, while all Dragonlings can serve as mounts, not all of them are flying mounts. Some will have other abilities depending on their Dragon. For instance, a sea based Dragon might have Dragonlings with abilities that make them good for underwater or cross-oceanic travel. An underground Dragon might would have a Dragonling flight that can travel by making tunnels and such. Other Dragonlings may have special abilities of their own.

Frosvinndur's Dragonling is the Kaldvind, a fairly fast Dragonling with the ability to create snowdrifts around itself even in the hottest of temperatures to allow the Bearer to make better use of some their powers. They've also got a pretty nifty tail blade that can tear up an opponent and are pretty sturdy creatures on top of that. They're also cool to the touch, which is handy on summer days.

Here's a glance at what Kaldvinds will look like on the wiki.

Effigy What the hell is Effigy? Well, it's the powerset associated with Dragons, like how Blessings are associated with Immortals. Each Dragon will have their own Effigy they can grant to people. Those who have Effigy are known as Bearers and will have access to no less than fifty powers from their Effigy. Now, Effigy does not progress like Blessings. Blessings are a linear progression that requires serving the Immortal who bestowed the Blessing and developing a relationship with them. Effigy does not work like that.

Effigy, first off, has a non-linear progression. It's divided into branches and you can progress up each branch separately. In addition, Effigy is progressed purely through EXP, allowing you to spend points on your Effigy to learn new powers. As you move through each branch, powers will cost more. There are, of course, some other differences. Effigy powers are based less on cooldowns than Blessing powers, and have a pretty wide range of effects. In addition, there are powers that can give the Dragonling additional powers or give the Bearer new passive features, like wings, claws, or a tail, among other interesting tricks depending on the Dragon.

There are also a few constants across each Effigy. There are always four branches, and the first two branches are divided into sub-branches. The first power, given for free, is always a Breath power, though what this does is unique to each Effigy. Some Breath powers may heal, others may turn the ground to ice, others may turn the surrounding air toxic. The last power is always a transformation power, allowing the Bearer to take a form similar to their Dragon, giving them a few new powers unique to that form as well.

Frosvinndur's Effigy is, of course, largely based around winter, with powers that make use of wind, snow, ice, hibernation, and even crystals. His Bearers will have powers that allow them to create blizzards, freeze the area around them, send enemies into a hibernation step, fly, heal people around them, trap people in crystals, and more. In addition, while Frosvinndur is primarily associated with winter, he also has powers over warm winds, which adds to his powers.

Here's a couple glances at what Frosvinndur's Effigy will look like on the wiki. The first is the beginning of the page, with a look at how it effects the Bearer.

The second is a look at how the whole Effigy is laid out and a glance at the first power.

And finally is a look at how powers themselves look on the wiki.

Right, so, more questons!

Will I be able to get Effigy as soon as Dragons launch? That depends, honestly. Effigy is a Tier 2 powerset and will require the player to have spent 2500 total EXP in order to be able to get Effigy, same as Tier 2 skills. The decision to make Effigy Tier 2 was largely based on the fact that we already have nearly fifty Tier 1 powersets, between Blessings and Magic, that are available to every starting PC. Adding a whole new category of powersets to Tier 1 felt a bit extreme.

How will Dragons come to Idalos? Dragons will not just all burst out of a wormhole over the Orm'del Sea or something. Many Dragons will be discovered by players, whether by finding where they've been hiding as with Frosvinndur, or being their to see them reborn. These plots are not, however, something that you can ask for. Staff will be keeping an eye on all ongoing plots and we'll decide if you find a Dragon or not. The plots will not be easy, not will you be able to accomplish them just by sitting at home and spinning your wheels. If you want to be fortunate, or perhaps unfortunate, enough to meet a Dragon and help them return to Idalos, best be getting up to some major plottage. Note that this will probably change as we get closer to Dragons being released, and some Dragons will find their way back to Idalos of their own accord.

Is Abanaxus a Dragon? Does he have Dragonlings or an Effigy? No. Abanaxus being a Dragon is a bit of IC confusion and some misunderstanding about what Dragons were. Abanaxus is his own, admittedly very dangerous, thing separate from Dragons.

How long until the next update? And what will updates be? I can't say for sure how long until the next update. I'd like to have at least one a month, but I can't promise that. What I can do, however, is say that each update will contain a sneak peak at stuff that will be included when Dragons launch.

Wait, will there be stuff besides Dragons in the update? Quite possibly! I don't want to make any promises here, but part of the update will be expanding the setting of Idalos, and who knows what else might be lurking behind those barriers.

I wanna help develop Dragons and/or stuff to be released alongside Dragons! How can I help? Join staff. Our wiki workers and peer reviewers are wonderful and wonderfully helpful, but this kind of site-wide major update is very much staff's responsibility. I would note, however, that everything that gets developed by staff is subject to a very in-depth feedback process to ensure quality control. So don't expect developing things, especially for this update, to be easy.

Aaaaand that's all for today folks. I hope you all enjoyed this reveal and the sneak peeks, and I'll be back as soon as possible with more information for you all.

-Basilisk, Lead Developer
word count: 2062
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Global Announcements”