Fire Forged

20th of Cylus 719

Yaralon is opening as a moderated area on 1st Feb 2023.
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fire Forged

20th Cylus, 719

"Alright, so... I've been thinkin' about it, an' I think I get it. But I might not." Vega looked at Arlo and she gave a slight, crooked smile. "Faldrun's domain is turmoil, apparently, cos he's a dweeb who's more used doused than walkin'. I'm the opposite. Rhythm." She had an understanding which was instinctual, or seemed to be, but also had come from long hours spent thinking, meditating. "It's why music is so important to me, I think. An', I think maybe I get it." Sitting there, on the deck, Vega's hand moved to the fiddle she had cradled in her lap. Twin spots of colour on her cheeks and a light sheen of sweat on her forehead had become regular things to see over the last few trials. Vega was running a fever. It was a permanent one, she felt constantly 'grotty' as she called it and at night, she shivered constantly despite feeling hot.

What she didn't do, at all, was mention it or raise it with him. He knew, he saw the crisp and blackened hand print on her shoulder which, if he looked closely, seemed to have molten lava running underneath it. He saw it, she knew he did and so she saw no point in discussing it.

"Everythin' has a natural rhythm to it," Vega said, frowning. However, the frown vanished as she lifted the fiddle. Nestling it under her chin, her face took on the half-aware expression she often wore while playing. "People, plants, movement. Everythin'. " She lifted the bow, ready to begin to play and then, she stopped.

"I think I can speed your rhythm up, or slow someone else's down. Or... somethin'. Like, when I play your rhythm, or the rhythm of what yer doin'?" It was hard to explain, and she didn't entirely understand it herself, but she knew without a doubt that she needed to explore it.

"So. I was hopin' that we could work out some way of testin' that theory out?" The problem, Vega said, was that she hadn't told her cousins about the visit from Faldrun following their wedding, and she didn't intend to. "So, I need to find a way to explain why I can do whatever it is that I can do. An' for that, I need to know what it is, but I probably need you to be able to judge it against someone else, which means I need more'n one person." The sigh which came from Vega had only a very small amount to do with who was there - or not - and a lot to do with how she was feeling.

"Fundamentally, Creede, I wanna test out somethin' I don't fully know. Any thoughts?" She smiled at him; he'd seen her in pain a lot of times, this one was no different. But, she was Vega Lei'nox (and when Huw had suggested that she was Vega Creede, she'd thumped him just as hard as she'd thumped Faldrun), and she was damned if some two-bit Immortal with a chip on his shoulder and charcoal up his ass was going to impact her, or her life. "An' hurry up, I'm gettin' testy." The last, at least, she added with a grin.

Boxcode: Thank you, Rose!
Last edited by Vega on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total. word count: 564

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Cassion's Champion
Renown: 820
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Re: Fire Forged

"It suits him," Arlo quipped dryly without looking up from what he was doing. Turmoil, that was. "He hasn't caused anything but chaos and turmoil since that first bit he appeared." Arlo had been passing the time whittling away on a piece of wood. Not that he could call himself anything close to a carver or sculptor. In essence, he was sharpening a stick. Rhythm, for Vega, made perfect sense too.

He was all too aware of Vega's tendency to feel overheated these trials, and he knew the reason for that. And knowing it, he'd gotten some cloth from a shop off in town, and asked a woman on their sister ship to fashion Vega some clothing. Not just any clothing either. He'd given the woman a handful of the ever cold snowflakes and a pouch full of cooling sand, and asked her to sew it into the fabric somehow. Other than that, there wasn't much else he could do. If he'd asked his own father if maybe he could do something about it, Cassion would probably say that one Immortal shouldn't meddle with the work of another. Especially when the person in question was the child of that Immortal.

"Sure," he said, putting his stick and the small knife down. Everything in life had a rhythm of sorts. All the universe surrounding them, and it all ought be in harmony with the rest. It wasn't, always. Faldrun was living proof of that. But cadence, "Like a metronome," he suggested, thinking back to a picture of one of the things that he'd seen before, when he'd been learning to play the gittern. "But one that you could speed up or slow down with your singing?" Except that instead of slowing down a particular device, she'd be slowing down movement or even time. Or, "speeding it up?"

Hmm. "Well," he said, fully aware that Vega's patience was a finite thing. "I could do some acrobatic maneuvers. But there's only one of me. You'd need another volunteer and I'm not sure if anyone on the crew has the skill. So, maybe something else, that both subjects can do. You have any volunteers in mind then?" he asked. Whatever it was she wanted him to do in order to test the ability, acrobatics, running, riding, whatever it was he was more than willing.
word count: 405
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Yea, exactly that," she said, when he spoke of metronomes. "It's kind of like. Ev'rythin' is movin' in time, like there's one sort of.. central metronome that's time. Some things, like mountains, they move but real slow. Others, like birds, they go real fast, but it's all to the same basic beat, you know?" She wasn't entirely making sense, Vega thought, but she was doing the best that she could. Everything, she explained, worked in relation to that basic beat but what she could do was speed someone up, or slow them down, in relation to that. "I think." She gave a sort of half shrug, not quite sure gesture.

When asked about having volunteers, though, Vega smiled. "Well, Papa said he'd help." She'd sat down, the night before, and spoken to her father. In typical Vega fashion, she'd just stood up and said she was going to go tell Papa and then did. She'd been alone with Joq'an for a long time and hadn't talked about it when she got back. She would, there was no doubt just... not yet. Vega needed to work things through, to find things out for herself - when it all made sense to her, she'd talk to Arlo about it. But not before. Because, before, she just couldn't.

So, Vega yelled "PAPAAAA!" in a very calm and not at all screeching, far too loud, or housewife-with-a-frypan manner. Then she turned to grin at Arlo. "Think he heard me?"

"I did," Joq'an said, emerging from below. He carried with him two practice swords. He wasn't bad with a sword, it must be said and Vega grinned at him. "Right, so what I want you two to do is to practice. Jus' let me play as you do." That was something which Arlo was used to, Vega often practiced her fiddle at the most odd moments and, besides that, the nature of the fiddle she had meant that sometimes, in combat situations, her playing along was more beneficial. But, this time, Joq'an lifted the sword and gave a slight smile. It was the first time Arlo had seen him since Vega and he had talked and Arlo's father-by-law could be mistaken for looking like he always did; but Arlo knew him better.

Vega and Joq'an shared an expression, more than one and whilst it was now apparent that this was nothing whatsoever to do with biology, it was everything to do with them and the relationship they shared. So, Joq'an gave a slight smile and he lifted his practice sword. "Shall we, son?" He asked. Arlo might notice Vega smiling, just slightly, at that last word. Because it was important. It was more than a little important to her.

As they began to practice together, Vega lifted her fiddle to nestle it under her chin and, then, her bow began to move. With them, at first, she played and soon she started to focus on Arlo's movements. The notes she played harmonized with his movements and then, she began to speed up. It didn't seem to him like that, but more that Joq'an slowed down. However, Vega focused on Arlo and she smiled. Within a few moments, Joq'an looked at him and shook his head. "You're impossibly fast, boy."

Vega grinned. "Yeah. Up yours charcoal-butt. This rocks." Joq'an, it must be said, rolled his eyes and looked at Arlo.

word count: 599

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

"Tempo," Arlo said suddenly, as if earlier he'd been grappling round in the dark, looking for a word or a term. Musical terms weren't usually at the top of his list of things one really must and should know, so it wasn't surprising. But there it was, tempo, right out of the blue. "So you can slow some things down while speeding up others. Same waltz, same dance floor, different tempo." Now that he had a simpler frame of reference, it was easy to envision what Vega might do. "That could come in real handy, I'd think."

So judging by the name of the volunteer she'd lined up to help them, her father had apparently taken the news she'd given him, as well as might be expected. Arlo knew that she'd spoken to him, and the news must have come as a shock to the man. But based on Jo'qan's demeanor when he answered Vega's summons, whatever had transpired between them...and Arlo had never asked, things were sorted as well as could be. Or at least they were well on their way. That was good, and Arlo smiled, accepting the practice sword that was handed to him.

"Father," Arlo said and grinned back, tapping the business end of the sword against the other, when Jo'an asked was he ready. Then Vega began to play, and Arlo took the position and appropriate stance. In lieu of having had the time to properly warm up, he simply flexed his knees and bounced on the balls of his feet a couple of times, and then the sparring began. Swordplay was like a dance of sorts, and Jo'qan was a worthy opponent, meeting his attacks and ducking in with his own in response. The son of Cassion however, hadn't planned any fancy maneuvers. Keep it simple, that was his plan.

But he began to notice very quickly that it was either Jo'qan slowing down, or him speeding up. It didn't matter which it was, so far as the match was concerned. He could easily have gone in for a successful skill, had this been an opponent he was interested in doing away with. Instead, he dropped his intention to keep it simple, and in between strikes, took the time to pull off a full air back flip before going in again. Yes. That was very useful, he thought with a grin and stepped back. "Or maybe you're just getting insufferably slow, is all," he shot back but it was clearly all in jest. In response to Jo'qan's lift of a brow however, Arlo shook his head and glanced at Vega then back again. "She's going to be insufferable herself now, isn't she?" Lowering his sword, he looked again at Vega. "What next?"
word count: 479
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"I think," she said, thoughtfully. "I can either slow down or speed up. Not both at th' same time, you know?" So, she said, if they were being attacked by three people, she could slow the three down, or speed him up. Not both at once. Arlo moved and it was obvious what was happening; Vega grinned at it and lowered her fiddle as Arlo and Joq'an spoke. "I heard that, you dweeb." Vega grinned at him and shrugged. "I were fairly insufferable before, in fairness." Her expression turned slightly softer as she looked at Joq'an. "I was raised well, see. My Papa believes in raisin' daughters what are strong, an' stubborn an' determined independent women." Joq'an chuckled. "More like, your Papa tried to work out how to manage his strong, stubborn, determined and independent child. So like your mother. She was as cantankerous as you." Vega and he shared a glance and the slight, almost sad smile they wore was near to identical.

"What? What next? Hmm. I dunno, really. I mean. I guess, we try an' work out if this works, only in combat or when yer dancin' or somethin'. If there are limits to it, you know?" Joq'an looked at Arlo and frowned slightly. "So, he could be a faster cook? Would it speed up the cooking?" Vega shook her head with a chuckle. "I think it only works on people, Papa, not like.. potatoes an' stuff. Fast-boilin' water don't sound likely to me." But she'd give it a go. "Lets try it, Creede?" Assuming that he was happy to, Vega suggested that he had a 'run about' and maybe did a spot of "flippin' an' flappin' an' jumpin' an' bouncin' about, like you do." During which, she again lifted the fiddle and played. And indeed, he sped up. It would take some getting used to there was no doubt, and he would need to take into account that indeed ~ his environment didn't change timing - but once he'd done that for a while, she frowned.

"A'righ' so, I reckon we try the slowin' down now, if that's a'right?" What he did there was very much up to him, Vega said, he and Joq'an could "'ave yerselves another little scrap," or he could do the "Flippin' an' flappin'," again. But then, he'd have to be careful, either way, Vega said. Because who knew how the slowing down would impact him.

And, in itself, that was tricky - because the thing that she found was that, yes, her playing could indeed slow him down. And again, the world did not change it's speed. Vega attempted to make it so that it slowed him down a little bit - but it became obvious that it was an 'on' or 'off' affair. "I reckon," she said, after a while. "Yer at about half speed, or half again on the speedin' up. What do you think? An' tell me, husband," the last was very much added with a cheeky grin. "How was it for you?"

Jo'qan simply rolled his eyes.

word count: 526

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

It made sense. Either whatever, or rather whoever Vega targeted with the ability was sped up, or slowed down. There was no reason to think that others, or the world around them would be affected. So far as Arlo was concerned, a very useful ability indeed. The possibilities seemed endless. "Well there are degrees you know," he teased Vega with a grin, ready to duck if she took a swing at him. "Just like anything else, insufferable or otherwise, there are degrees."

As for the rest, Arlo simply smiled and stayed out of the way of the banter between father and daughter. It was theirs, and they needed it. Maybe more lately than ever. He did sometimes wish he'd have gotten a chance to have met Vega's mother. To get through what she'd been subjected to, she must have been a very strong and willful woman. Like her daughter, and Faldrun be damned. As for what next, he shrugged. "We all know I'm not much of a dancer." One could make the argument that if he exceeded at acrobatics, given the level of coordination required, he was perfectly capable of cutting a rug with the best. Except that he couldn't because he chose not to. Not that he'd say that out loud.

"But do we really want her to cook faster?" he said then, laughing and shaking his head. Presumably speeding Vega up would not in any way increase her actual cooking skills. It would just give her more opportunities to burn things and ruin his pans. But acrobatic maneuvers. That he could do. So as she played, Arlo began to tumble. His pride got in the way of that first maneuver and he didn't bother to adopt a new approach. Much of acrobatics was about timing, and that was where he went wrong. A backwards flip from a still position, ended him up in a heap on his backside. "Lesson learned," he grumbled and grunted as he hauled himself up. Then he went at it again.

A series of forward somersaults was next, and while the first few were clumsy and awkward, eventually he sorted out the timing, be it slower or faster. The slowing down bit, that was the most difficult to get the hang of, but he eventually did. Sparring again with Joq'an presented similar challenges, and at first Vega's father got the better of him more than once. If he was being honest, most of the time. "It certainly does tip the scales," Arlo said when he stood back. "I'd guess, in favor of the quicker one when it comes to swordplay, but maybe there's more equality in the tumbling aspect, if used correctly." As for that last comment of Vega's, and her father's reaction, Arlo merely shook his head. "The things I put up with," he quipped. But judging by the grin on his face, he wouldn't have it any other way.
word count: 501
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

[anchor=OptionFour][/anchor]
Thread Review
Gotta love Vega's need to boss everyone around and Arlo's willingness to help. It was fun watching y'all test her MBness.

Word Count: 3109
Review Request Link: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=17435&p=116927#p116931
Arlo
  • Skill Points - 15
  • Renown - 5
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Acrobatics: Timing is everything
    2. Combat: Blades: Sword: A quick warm up is better than no warm up at all
    3. Combat: Blades: Sword: Gauging the difference between your speed and that of your opponent
    4. Woodworking: Whittling wood to pass the time.
    5. Woodworking: Sharpening a stick
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards
Vega
  • Skill Points - 15
  • Renown - 5
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Matching play to the rhythm of the world
    2. Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Using a metronome to catch a beat
    3. Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Focusing on one person's movement when you play
    4. Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Using a jaunty tune to speed someone up.
    5. Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Slowing the tempo down in increments
    6. Musical Instrument: Fiddle: Playing while you have a fever helps to ignore the symptoms
    7. Mortalborn Ability: Tempo: Slows someone up or slows them down
    8. Mortalborn Ability: Tempo: Can not be used in increments.
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards

Final Notes

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12064[/img][/center]
word count: 230
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern: Central: Yaralon”