Wishes Come True

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Liarra Picine
Approved Character
Race: Lotharro
Profession: Mercenary/Assassin
Renown: -20
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wishes Come True

Wishes Come True

38 Ymiden 716
It had been a few days since they left the ship. Their journey through the rivers had been calm with little to no trouble. In fact, Liarra would have been bored by it all if she hadn’t too busy imagining herself falling in and drowning nearly the entire time. Everyone could see how pale and terrified she had been every time she had to stand too close to the railings. The other mercenaries had even gotten as far as mocking her and jokingly threaten to toss her overboard.

Unfortunately, once they got on land, the speed of their traveling slowed down considerably. The caravans were moving in a sluggish pace, but she supposed it made sense with all the things Rylon brought with him. Still, this was one of her better jobs overall. Most of the men she were gentlemanly, but unsurprisingly some of them were also quite handsy. Nothing she had never dealt with before. A little tough act and threats here and there had kept most of them at bay, as always.

Everything was going so well that Liarra almost wished that some trouble would befall them.

Soon, her wish was granted.
----------------------
“Hey, girly! It’s your turn!” a gravelly voice snapped her out of the warm embrace of sleep. Harding, the big burly man with thick beard, was already standing over her. He nudged her with the tip of his boots to rouse her again. “Come on! I want my sleep! Don’t think I am letting you slack off.”

“Fine, fine,” Liarra muttered as she stood up. The fog of sleep still clouded her mind, but the Naer walked towards the perimeter of the camp anyway. Her body certainly ached from sleeping against a tree, but she had little choice – the young woman didn’t want to sleep near all the other mercenaries.

As she walked toward her post near Rylon’s tent, Liarra let herself glance up the starry sky. It was a quiet, beautiful night. As always. There hadn’t been any trouble so far and with any luck, she might get to Sirothelle without a scratch.

Kyeran was already patrolling near the carriages that held the merchant’s wares, she noticed. Unlike her, he looked like he didn’t lose any sleep. His golden eyes were alert and his back was erect – like a soldier. He tensed when he heard the noises she made, but immediately relaxed when he recognized her. With a nod, the Aukarian turned his gaze back at the woods surrounding them.

Fortunately for her, her companion’s post was not far from hers. It meant she didn’t have to spend the entirety of her watch in boring silence. “Excited to finally go home?”

“No.” Most people would have been driven away by his snappish tone, but she had been living with Kyeran for arcs. When he noticed she was still standing there, the young man gave her an exasperated look. “Aren’t you suppose to guard the boss’s tent?”

Liarra glanced back at the tent and then shrugged. “He will be fine for a few more bits. No one’s going to jump in and kill him.”
Last edited by Liarra Picine on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 537
Liarra Picine
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wishes Come True

When the Aukarian didn’t even crack a smile, she knew it was bothering him more than he had admitted. A few days before they departed from Ne’haer, Kyeran had suddenly suggested that it was better for them to head straight to Rynmere. He wouldn’t explain this sudden change of heart when back in Augiery, he repeatedly mentioned wanting to see his home and family again. Her friend had immediately shut her off when she had pushed.

“Kyeran,” the Naer started as she walked to his side. She wanted to touch him, but thought better of it. Things were already complicated between them as it was. “You can tell me what’s bothering you.”

Finally, he looked at her straight in the eyes. There was anger and guilt and disappointment brewing in his gaze. “Everyone thinks I am dead during my mission and now I return empty-handed? After being a slave? I did not even gain my own freedom. You gave it to me!” He ran his hand through his hair roughly – a clear sign that he was upset. “I can’t return to them. Not truly. I have failed my mission. My father would rather have me dead than see me taint our family’s reputation.”

“What about your sister? Your mother? They never knew what became of you.” Despite his rocky relationship with his father, Liarra knew Kyeran still cared deeply for the rest of his family. He used to clutch a pendant his sister had given him every night as he slept – at least until he needed to sell it to prevent the two of them from starving during the early days of her exile.

“It seems cruel for them to have me back only for me to leave again so soon.”

“Then you will stay. It is your home. I will be fine on my own.” The lie sounded pathetic in her own ears. And by the look on the Aukarian’s face, he had precisely the same thought. They both know that she needed him. That she wanted him by her side. It was nearly five arcs ago when they first met and since then, Kyeran had never been too far from her reach. It sounded pathetic, but she had been dependent on his constant presence.

Perhaps she should have lied better. Liarra was familiar with the arts of deception, yet she couldn’t lie for her friend. She had never truly convinced him to leave her, not really. It was selfish. She was selfish.

Instead of answering, the young woman saw Kyeran’s whole mannerism changed. His muscles tensed, readying itself for something he spotted in the darkness. Slowly, he nocked back his arrow. “Wake Rylon up. I’ll wake the rest of the men.”

She followed his line of sight and saw nothing at first. But then there was a flash of color between the trees and the unmistakable crunch of gravel. And then another one. Without a question, Liarra headed to the merchant’s tent. She kept to a brisk walk rather than an outright run – it was better for their attackers to think that they were still unaware. Her heartbeat started to pick as she anticipated a fight. She could almost feel her entire body humming with excitement. After days of doing practically nothing, an attack was a welcome challenge. It was also a welcome distraction from the thought of Kyeran leaving her.

Liarra pushed open the tent flap and slipped inside quietly. Rylon was sleeping comfortably on a makeshift hammock, bare-chested and covered by some sort of silken blanket. Not so gently, the Naer shook the man’s shoulder and hissed, “Rylon, you need to wake up!” She would have been pissed if he was a heavy sleeper, but thankfully he opened his eyes soon enough.

The handsome merchant smiled up sleepily at her. “Finally deciding to join me in bed?”

“Don’t joke. Your camp is–” Before she could even finish her sentence, the sound of the tent flap fluttering in the wind made her whirl. Of course they would want to strike down the owner of everything first.

An unfamiliar figure stood in front of her – certainly not one of her fellow mercenaries with the fabric covering half of his face. His eyes widened at the sight of her, certainly not expecting her to be there. Unfortunately, he gathered his wits back quickly and swung his sword at her. Liarra barely managed to catch the blow with her own blade, but at least she was not skewered.

Behind her, she could hear Rylon struggling to put on clothes. It would have been funny if the bandit didn’t reel back to swing at her. But this time the young woman was prepared to block it and surged forward with her other sword, aiming for the man’s stomach. He leapt back just in time.

So, the man certainly know how to handle a sword. This should be interesting.
word count: 834
Liarra Picine
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wishes Come True

There was no more time for thinking as their movements became faster. Liarra had the slight advantage of being small and equipped with two blades, enabling her to counter easily after each attack from her opponent. It was almost like a dance, which a single wrong step will result with her guts strewn on the ground. They were somewhat equally matched and Liarra how long she had to keep this up.

With a cry, the Naer swung her blade harder and pressed forward. Her opponent seemed surprised at her sudden burst and stumbled back. She used this as her advantage and managed to land a blow down the bandit’s shoulder. Liarra couldn’t help grinning triumphantly.

The two of them had been so absorbed in their fight that no one noticed Rylon had finally stood behind the bandit. Without wasting any time, he pierced the attacker’s body with his own sword. The arm that had been blocking Liarra’s blade immediately went limp as the man fell with a groan. Blood pooled beneath his body as soon as the merchant pulled back his sword with a sickening sound.

Now that there was no sound of their clashing swords, Liarra realized that fights had been breaking outside their tents. “We need to–”

“Get me to my wares. I will not let these damned bandits take all my gold,” Rylon hissed as he wiped off the blood on his dark pants. “Let’s go.”

Liarra nodded and proceeded to open the tent flap slowly. Most of her fellow mercenaries were already locked in battle. Instead of planning a route to reach the cart, the young woman looked for her friend first and foremost. She couldn’t spot his fiery red hair and paranoia began gnawing at her heart. If Kyeran got killed… No, that was a foolish thought. He was no amateur with his bow and he had been trained all his life to be a killer – there was no way a few bandits were going to end him.

“Well?” Rylon snapped behind her, clearly impatient.
word count: 346
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western: Sirothelle”