Mature [Outlands] Skills of the Wild II

A city dweller and a wild man go hunting

7th of Cylus 719

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Hunter
Renown: 300
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: [Outlands] Skills of the Wild II

With a bit of a hardy laugh Wald continued speaking. "My journey began to moment I crossed passed the Eternal Empire's border. The wilds of there is where i was born. Although, If you want to be correct. It was when I was born. My mother had trouble with birth. First with my older brother, who died from nuchal cord. And then myself I was unable to breath when I came out. Thankfully we had a midwife who induced my breathing quickly."

Taking a few bites of his meal Wald was visibly thinking back on his life. "My father hunted the area in the Eternal Empire around Korlasir. I had never seen the city before since there was no need to. Though I remember the mountains to the north, now to the south. When I was young I always wanted to cross them. Which I did obviously."

Ripping a leg off and chewing down to the bone. "I personally have never seen any beast that fit the description. But I have no doubt that our family story is true. Maybe it was one of a kind, or maybe there are more waiting for the right hunter to find."

Gnawing at the bone for a moment Wald had to ask, "I have talked about myself, but what about you. I know you were quite ill while you were younger, but not much after that. So how about indulging my curiosity of the matter?" He took off another leg as he began to listen closely.
word count: 254
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Profession: Ignoble Thanatologist
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

As Sibyl ate, something strange lingered in the back of the student's mind. But at this point, it was becoming more of an introspective habit, than a genuine anomaly. A tale of a family that valued a genuine disconnect from nature, but also was close enough to have a midwife. A man that sought to uphold his father's legacy, but also seemed to be more than willing to bring along a student with him. It was something that perplexed Sibyl's thoughts. Not because the student truly doubted it. But as the meat was slowly cut up and properly eaten, it gave the student a genuine chance to think it through, more clearly.

"You were within the bounds of the Eternal Empire itself?" Sibyl asks of Wald. It was something that took the student a bit aback, but none the less, it was something that he had alluded to. A great many things were 'south' of Viden. Sibyl seemed to consider the man's statement anew, as though trying to work off of it, curiosity getting the better of Sibyl, and even, just a little bit, getting in the way of the student's meal, "I have to admit, I'm a bit more curious of that, that I am regaling my own boorish life." A chuckle escaping Sibyl's lips, as the student simply takes a bite out of the rabbit's haunch.

A roll of the shoulders, as the student is faced with the very real prospect of a certain issue being brought up, "Well. I made my way into the Academy. Somewhat. Still struggling to be fully recognized. The issue of payment is always quite an issue... It's the most prestigious Academy in Idalos, after all." A weak chuckle escapes from the lips. Swallowing a mouthful, "But still, it helps that I had received education at quite the young age. The Videnese, they demand it of you until your... Twelfth arc of life, I believe. Even slaves."

Taking a break to chew on some rabbit, Sybil simply lets the topic linger, for a moment longer. Allowing the whipping of the air to interject, for just a few, solitary moments, before continuing, "In part, I'm mainly here due to something of a... Well. My Grandfather, rest be to him, was a member of the Academy for quite some time. ... We were not a family of great means, but he at least helped, before his passing, in getting them to consider me."
word count: 417
"No mass graves."

-Vri 720, scolding Sybil for disposing of necromancers.

NPCs: Karlsson, Margaret
Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"Yes i was, for a time. Not that I could tell you much of the people." Wald answered the question before listening.

Nodding to Sybil's answer. "Your grandfather sounds like a good man. I wish I could have meet him. I guess I could say the same for you. I am sure he would also agree with me." replied Wald. Eating his rabbit the steam seemed to collect around Wald's nose. A loud sneeze echoed from Wald. Shaking the branches nearby to make some snow fall onto the horse. A loud nay came from the horse while it shook off the snow. "huh... I guess I can control ice with my voice." Wald laughed at his crude attempt at a joke.

Pointing back to Sybil with his fork Wald spoke again. "You tell me of your grandfather, but what of the rest of your family. Surely you did not spring to life from your grandfather's armpit. Or is it that you are ashamed of your family? Maybe the other way around?" A genuine smile came form Wald trying to comfort his companion. Even though he did not have a bad family life he knew that some people could. The curiosity still ate at him like no other, and he didn't mind probing as if hunting for his answers he so wanted.

Wald began to finish his meal. After picking the bones a bit more cleanly he went to tending to the fire. The fire in this time had died down a bit, and needed to refuel. This kept Wald busy for only a moment.
word count: 268
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"They were present, make no mistake." Sibyl says, swallowing a mouthful of the cooked and partly charred rabbit. A slow shake of the head given his way, as the student searches for words, "Mother and father. A few siblings. It was a busy home. The Malach family is partly known in Viden for being able tradesmen. Though nothing like the Masters of Viden, there was quite a bit of pressure to choose, when it came time to move on from what the law alone mandated that I do." The student explains, with a light sigh. Leaning further back, Sibyl at the very least attempts to get a little bit comfortable. If not anything else, just getting used to the ground, rather than a chair, "You could imagine their shock, when he was reduced to a pile of gibbering flesh. ... While I was being held into place by the Academy itself."

And finally, the meat of something deeper, for the slightest of moments, begins to surface. Something that is, perhaps, among the more vulnerable part of Sibyl. Something aching. Something directly hurting. But in the end, it's pushed to the side, as the student simply carries on. Taking slow, deep breaths, after making the statement, "My father is an innkeeper. He is one of the few who cater to the visitors of Viden itself. Families of the students from foreign lands. ... Sometimes, it's simply used as an escape from the Malachite district, being quite honest. Cheaper than upkeeping a home, but definitely not anything permanent. Some of the Lords or Ladies also send their slaves there, if they value them enough. It can be... Interesting, to say the least." A chuckle escapes the lips, at that.

"My mother brewed. She would sometimes make wine out of beets, and dark ale." While not the best of things... It's clear, at least, by the tone of voice, it was at least remembered fondly. Sybil leans in, getting a little bit more comfy near the fire, "But you know how the Videnese are. She mainly makes juices from what she grows in the hothouse. She works to keep the family inn stocked and visitors interested." The student's expression relaxes, as the former subject fades to the background. Other things taking the center stage, as the Videnese weather chills both to the bone, winds whipping along the sloping tundra.
word count: 398
"No mass graves."

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Putting his plate to the side Wald leaned in to the conversation. Taking each work the student said in. Even watching his facial expressions, to ensure he didn't miss something. The muscle in the jaw moved just under the skin as Sybil spoke. The sigh made all the strands relax in their forehead. Learning of what happened, and only slightly piecing things together. "So you were being held captive in a way." Wald said under his breath softly enough to just tickle the senses.

Wald noticed a small twitch in the corner of Sybil's eye. It was faint. Most people wouldn't notice. A hunter isn't most people. Paying closer attention to the student talking about their father. He knew something happened with Sybil's family, but not what. Wald thought to ask about it. He decided to shake the question away now was not the time to dig so deep.

Listening about the mother. "Hmmm... Interesting a brewer. I am not one for alcohol myself. Blurs the vision you see." Listening on about how Viden made the brewer stop. Though he wasn't a drinker he understood how she might of felt. Not having his trade he work hard on would make him very upset. "I suppose making the juice all she can do to stave off boredom. My mother also tried making juice once. Terrible never mix grass with elderberries." Wald was trying to lighten the mood after what seemed like an emotional trip for the student.
word count: 252
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sibyl let out a light yawn. Blinking rapidly, the student couldn't help but realize just how heavy the eyelids were starting to get. It was a slow, creeping sensation of exhaustion that was building over time. It wasn't fully physical. It was simply exhausting, having actually gone hunting, and killed something, at least for the city dweller's psyche. Leaning a bit closer to the fire, this was made evidently clear by how the student simply leaned to the side, posture drooping slightly. As though Sibyl was subject to the wind itself when it came to how sitting straight was even an option. Slowly, and languidly, the student simply stretches out. Rolling at the shoulders, and extending the arms upwards, legs sprawling out. Body simply loosening at the joints and relaxing at the muscles, preparing for the inevitability of needing some rest.

"Wouldn't call it being captive, really." The student says with lips knitting to the side. Though, in some respect, Wald was onto something, that wasn't something Sibyl was going to really inwardly accept. A slow cant of the head in this new, comfortable position is given, "It's just having very... Well. I'm free to do as I wish with myself. But the fact of the matter is, I may as well have ended up a slave, if I did not do well. The Precariat are quite close to that on a daily basis. ... And the unskilled laborers are so close to teetering downwards instead of upwards... It was more like I was being met with two very hard decisions." A breath, as Sibyl tries to find the words for it. A tap on the chin, a pop of the wrist, "If you do not hunt well, you do not eat well. You're stuck being a poor hunter because you cannot eat. So you subsist on what you can, but you will always do worse than someone who is better fed, and better prepared. ... You may even have your prey stolen by them. ... If I didn't do well in my studies, then that would mean that I would be forced to be a poor hunter. Socially, at least. If that makes sense. Either I waited to find out what I wanted, or I went with a safe option. ... Waiting had more risks..."

A chuckle escapes the lips, never the less, as the student simply gets a bit comfortable, fluffing out the hood of the cloak, distributing the warmth a bit, "The novelty keeps the locals coming. And the foreigners something to keep interested in. ... But grass and elderberries?" Even Sibyl couldn't prevent curling lips in disgust at the sheer mention of it, "That's... Rather gross." The laughter coming from Sibyl's lips however, is something that's genuine, Wald succeeding in his efforts to lighten the atmosphere, the student getting just a bit more comfortable around the hunter, posturing becoming more open.
word count: 493
"No mass graves."

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wald got up from his seat after getting the ques from Sibyl's body language. Gathering the things around camp to tidy things up. "I suppose that makes sense. Though the hungry hunter is the most dangerous. If you don't have what you need you get desperate." Wald said this while tending to the fire for a moment. A chilling wind went through the camp for a moment. Though the direction made the heat of the fire push towards Sybil.

Wald had a reply for Sybil about the juice. "Yes, my mother had a Literary degree, not a cooking one." His face soften for a brief moment. "A Land transformed into monochrome, An haven spraying its white foam, Floating in breathless, boundless speed, Submerging all with predatory greed." The words flowed out as from memory of his mother. Something about the poem fit the circumstances nicely.

Clicking back into reality Wald motioned to Sybil. "You seem tired how about I get you to rest." Wald walked into the tent and placed down several furs for the student to sleep on. This was to keep them from getting sick. After setting up the sleeping area he said one last thing to Sybil. "I will be a moment longer So go ahead and rest."

Sometime past as Sybil went to sleep. Wald finally felt his eyelids grow heavy as he walked into the tent. Both animals laid next to the student. They also took the fur he laid for himself. Instead of complaining he just took a spot next to the horse.
word count: 261
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sibyl paused, to take in Wald's words. He was obviously talking about the wasteland of snow that surrounded the both of them, the student could piece together that much. But the sheer... Way, in which he said it, piqued Sibyl's curiosity to no end. It was a poem, of sorts. The words rhymed. That's all Sibyl truly knew about the works of bards and playwrights. Considered by most in Viden to be largely ostentatious and impractical men and women who always seem to ebb their way in and out of Idalos' history through merit of honeyed words. But... This was different. Wald had a certain charm, Sibyl had to admit, but it was hardly the sorts found in taverns, busking for nell. Why would he find interest in singing, let along structure, of all things? But the actual contents of the poem itself... Implied some kind of metamorphosis. A greedily, quickly done transformation. Was he talking of the snow? Learning what Sibyl had learned about the man's childhood, maybe it was about the change of climate, or...

It made the Student's mind hurt.

"Never took you to be the singing type." Sibyl says, with a smirk crossing the lips, "Have you considered busking for coin? You might make something in the city from the visiting foreigners. They're probably bored witless right now." That smile turns into a chuckle, as the student simply rises to a stand, stretching out, as the man offers a moment of rest.

With a pop of the knee, Sibyl offers a two fingered salute towards Wald. More a gesture of humor, than anything, as the student groggily makes way for the tent, "Some rest will be lovely. ... Truth be told, it's getting harder to resist its siren call..." Sibyl mutters, parting the furred flaps of the tent itself.

... With an audible flop, next to one of the animals, Sibyl barely manages to close the curtains before even falling asleep. The tiredness, it seems, gripping the student's mind far harder than expected. ... Slowly fading into the realm of sleep, as though in Sibyl's own bed, back in Viden, rather than surrounded by miles upon miles of wilderness, and surrounded by a donkey, horse, and huntsman. This is an awful moment to find out that Sibyl snored. But, Wald would have to make due. It's not too loud, at the very least.
word count: 404
"No mass graves."

Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: 1020
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sybil

Knowledges
Discipline: Taking responsibility for a hunt
Discipline: Holding emotions back to mercy kill an animal
Discipline: Following someone's words and examples
Discipline: Use existing knowledge to deal with new problems
Discipline: Suppressing joy at accomplishing something
Psychology: Hunting as a child is a formative experience
Psychology: Childhood helps shape one's adulthood
Psychology: Parents play a pivotal role in adulthood
Psychology: It takes two to start opening up about the past
Psychology: Teachers often bond with students
Meditation: Nature is uncaring, but humans assign care
Combat: Ranged: Bow: Taught by Wald how to hold a bow
Endurance: Keeping bowstrings pulled, with help
Medicine: Even animals have very similar organs to humans
Medicine: Medical training can be applied to everyday living
Surgery: Animals can be decent vessels for surgical training
Surgery: Layering of skin is important for cutting and sewing
Butchering: Stripping a rabbit of offal
Butchering: Skinning a rabbit

Loot: A rabbit pelt

Injuries: None

Renown: None

Wald

Knowledges
Combat Ranged (Longbow): Steadying a shaking hand
Combat Ranged (Longbow): Helping others to hold the bow
Combat Ranged (Longbow): Arrows can pin objects down
Combat Ranged (Longbow): You get use to the draw weight
Combat Ranged (Longbow): Hitting a scared target
Hunting: Animals get scared of blood
Hunting: Finishing the hunt is important
Hunting: Animals don't want to suffer
Hunting: First time hunting is an experience in adrenaline
Butchering: Possessing a Rabbit
Butchering: You need a steady hand
Butchering: Where the heart is
Butchering: Where the Liver is
Detection: Facial muscles talk more then words
Detection: You can tell where an arrow will hit
Detection: You can tell the mood in the air
Stealth: Keeping quiet with a companion
Stealth: Hiding the scene of a kill
Stealth: bury body parts to keep the smell away

Loot: A rabbit pelt

Injuries: None

Renown: None

Overview
I guess I’ll add ‘poop eating’ to the list of rabbit facts I kinda wish I didn’t know about.

Really like the way these two are bonding and getting to know each other. Sybil's philosophical musings on death and the circle of life juxtapose really nicely with Wald's blunter, more practical, but no less respectful attitude towards it.

Word Count:9628

word count: 388
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand
  • A ring of light around his left forearm

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist