Mature [Outlands] Skills of the Wild II

A city dweller and a wild man go hunting

7th of Cylus 719

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Hunter
Renown: 300
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: [Outlands] Skills of the Wild II

Wald shook his head quickly in response, "No no no i don't think you got ill from this." With a deeper look into Sybil's eyes Wald spoke "It is more like a curiosity. I did this so long ago for the first time I can't remember how it felt." Leaning back a bit and thinking Wald tried to contemplate how he felt now compared to how Sybil seems to feel. "So you feel strange?" Looking down to his feet thinking over it.

After a moment Wald picked up his knife and motioned over. Here this is something you are familiar with. Let me show you how to prepare an animal. Taking the rabbit he had killed in front of him he took his knife to the neck of the animal. Cutting down to remove the head first putting it to the side. Moving the knife down the body making a line with the tip of the knife down the middle. Then using the knife to gently cut the skin down the imaginary line he had made only going as deep as the skin. Moving the knife so the flat was against the animal Wald did quick gently cuts under the skin severing the membrane of the animal from the flesh. At each of the feet he took the paws off at the jointed area. After this the skin came off easily as he set the pelt to the side near the fire to dry off. Using his knife once again he cut down on the animal going through the flesh only going deep enough to cut through the muscle of the animal. Opening the animal exposing the internal organs Wald used his hands to remove the internal parts careful not to rupture anything.

After cleaning the animal he passed the knife over to Sybil. "This is something you can do with your medical experience right?"
word count: 318
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Profession: Ignoble Thanatologist
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sibyl paused, as Wald began to teach the means in which a rabbit is skinned. A light sigh escaping the lips, paired with a shake of the head, "Rendering the meat, I'm afraid, is not my purview." The words are said with ease, as Sibyl simply rests against the ground, warming by the fire. A slow blink is given, regardless, and a mild roll of the shoulders, "It's a bit different, I suppose. The way you cut an animal apart is far different than how you would cut a person, to try and heal them. ... One is, I imagine at least, a matter of rendering parts to be used for cooking. The operation of the parts don't matter at that point: It's dead." A sigh escapes the lips, visible upon the air itself, as Sibyl eyes the rabbit, slowly, idly, "Contrary to popular belief, one of the last things they even consider teaching us during the classes in the Academy, is flaying. There's no purpose for it, at least in healing. ... Let alone how to do it on an animal, as opposed to a person." The chuckle escaping the student's lips are in good humor, as Sibyl simply leans forward, towards the flame itself, warming against it.

However, Sibyl continues to watch, with a slowly canted head. Watching the man go through the paces in skinning the rabbit, it seems that the student is now being tasked with duplicating the effect, being handed a knife. A slow blink of the eyes are given, as though trying to understand what is to be done with it. Slowly canting the head, Sibyl simply accepts the knife, in the gloved hand, considering it, as it glistens in the fading light. Sibyl takes a moment of thought, before slowly, simply, giving a nod of the head, "I... Think, I can remember the cuts. Less stress, since it's not actually still living." Comes the weak chuckling from the student, slowly glancing towards Wald, "Though... You'll likely have to be quite hands on with your teaching, here. I would hate to put this to waste."
word count: 357
"No mass graves."

-Vri 720, scolding Sybil for disposing of necromancers.

NPCs: Karlsson, Margaret
Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wald moved behind the student to get a better view of the work that would be preformed. "The only part that is hard is making sure not to use to much force in each cut." Moving to show the student where he did a mistake. For someone who only seen the act done for the first time just a moment before they seem to have a good grasp on things. While the student removed the skin Wald asked, "Do you know what the layer is just under the skin you are cutting?" they continued on as Wald moved the pelt to the side after the student was done. "On this part you do not want to puncture anything but the muscle. Start from the ribs and use the bone as a reference for the rest of the body." Helping the student where he could Wald seemed to have fun even if the student couldn't see his face right now. "Can you identify each of the organs from here as you remove them? And remember to be careful with the digestive tracks you don't want bail to spill out." It seemed like Wald enjoyed being a teacher.

After the student finished with his rabbit Wald set the two up over the fire to begin cooking. Just after placing them on the fire he took two sticks and put the kidneys, heart and liver of both rabbits on their own stick. Placing them in the flame directly to cook quickly for the two. Taking the two heads off the campsite Wald used his hatchet to make two quick holes for them to be buried. Walking back to check on the organs he asked, "When was the last time you had fresh meat?"
word count: 292
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Under the guidance of Wald, Sibyl had begun the process.

"... Yes. Though I'm uncertain if this animal is... Different." With eyes glancing to the side at Wald, as he tried his best at teaching, it was clear that, no matter how good he was at getting these concepts through, mistakes would be made. Some of the muscles were nicked. Some of the organs, as well. The intestines and stomach were the only thing that went through the process unharmed. Keeping quiet, the student simply attempted to listen to the man's words. Following directions for the most part, a soft breath is taken. The blade slides between layers of skin. Something that, frankly, the student didn't have enough practice in, but was better than being completely uninitiated. Probably only able to even do this properly, or something vaguely close to properly, due to the direct oversight of the far more experienced hunter. Sybil, at the very least, had enough guts to see this through.

"That's... The heart. Lungs right around. Liver beneath... I think that's the stomach." The student murmurs out, glancing through the open body. Soon enough... Sinew was separated from muscle. Tendons were separated from bone. The gloved hands of the student simply were dyed crimson, just by merit of the actions being performed, "Those, there. Definitely the intestines." The pieces of meat, largely, were jaggedly cut. The hide likely not usable for much, most of it has holes poking through it. It might serve alright, as patchwork for Wald's tent, but definitely not as anything other than that. A strange application of medical knowledge... But it seemed to help. Somewhat.

Finally, as Wald's teaching concluded, and he tends to the cooking of the rabbits, Sibyl simply attempts to wash the rabbit blood off of the gloves. Not removing them, but rubbing them against the snow, trying to use friction to create enough water to cleanse it from the hands. The two were close enough to the fire that it wasn't too much of a hassle to do though. But, as the question is asked, a brow raises, "Frankly speaking, I don't eat much fresh meat. ... Far too expensive. Lasts too little of a while." Comes the admission, and a light sigh, as Sibyl simply relaxes.
word count: 386
"No mass graves."

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wald looked through the pelt and smiled as he looked through the few holes in it. "You will need to have a steadier hand for surgery don't you think?" With a chuckle making sure the underside of the skin was exposed to the heat and air. "Do not worry to much over the pelt, I'm sure it will work well for you to lay your head on at your home. The skin should be dry enough by tomorrow for use as well." Wald was actually quite happy with the students work as for his first time the pelt made its way into strips, and the meat was spoiled by the gallbladder being busted.

Checking on the organs in the fire before taking them out Wald passed one to the student. The outside was blacken slightly from the flames and the meat was obviously unseasoned. "You will probable enjoy this. The heart is a bit tough though it has a hearty taste. The kidneys are much softer and sweeter then you may think and the liver is in the middle of the two." Though not a chief all this came from personal experience eating the organs.

Wald took his bite and the flesh of the bite melted across his tongue, this was the liver that he bite into. The next bite was more chewy but the sweetness was much more from the kidney. Finally the heart that had the texture of normal meat but had a stronger flavor. As he ate he continued to check on the rest of the rabbit being sure that it was cooking evenly. Since he wasn't a cook all he could do was hope he didn't burn anything.
word count: 286
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sibyl simply gets comfortable against the ground. As comfortable as one can amidst the harsh elements of the Videnese wilderness. The waning daylight is transient at best, as Cylus reigns these lands. A slow blink is given in the direction of Wald, with a slow tilt of the head, "I'll keep that in mind, the next time someone requires a flaying." Comes a distant laugh to that, with a slow shake of the hands, "An entirely different ordeal than what I'm used to." Comes the light breath, as the student simply leans on back, resting more properly on the brunt of the tailbone itself. A glance given to the side, to the man, as he cooks. Much to the student's dismay, Sibyl had always been a particularly poor cook, outside of the videnese staples. Just as reliant as the rest of the city on the Ranger's hunts, as well as anyone else who adds to the meat trade. Men like Wald.

A slow glance of consideration is given to Wald. Strange, is the only thought that could ebb its way through the murks of Sybil's mind. A slowly swirling sense of idle fascination. The man's overall demeanor was something that was a source of almost endless fascination to the student. Someone so terrified of the city. Someone so... In tune with nature. To the utilitarian men and women of Viden, seeing nature as anything other than a means to an end was... Curious, strange. It was honestly a breath of fresh air.

A blink. Confusedly, for a moment, Sybil lets out a cough, as the piece of skewered kidney is handed over. Still bearing the marks of the student's very poor attempt at butchering, "... Is that so?" Sybil comments, sinking teeth within the cooked organ. The taste was... Strange. Chewing on it, slowly, Sybil thinks something through, "... How long have you been out here, Wald?" Comes the question, as the student struggles with the chewiness.
word count: 332
"No mass graves."

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wald paused for what seemed like a break in his mind, before swallowing what he had in his mouth. That question rang through his head for a moment longer as he thought of it. "How long..?" He spoke this as if asking himself to respond. Another swallow came from his throat even though nothing was in his mouth. "I have lived in the wild my whole life, but you already understand this." Thinking he tried get the response Sybil wanted.

After one last pause Wald found his words. "I left my parents when I was around 18 arcs of age. From there I walked north to the area around Viden with the last gifts from my parents. The two animals you have meet and the family necklace which I where." Taking a moment to adjust himself where he sat. "So you could say I have been alone for about 6 arcs in the Videnese wilderness. Most people make it easy to stay alone though since as you know; they can be quite inhospitable to strangers."

Wald told Sybil the truth of his life, although Wald never did feel lonely out in the wilderness, sometimes he couldn't help but feel like something was missing. Maybe it was human companionship that his heart was hunting for. Maybe that was what drove his curiosity enough to go into Viden with the student he had meet. These thoughts raced through his mind, as he fixed the meat on the fire finishing the bites he had left on his stick. "Was there anything else Sybil?" He asked with his old soft yet cold voice, though not angry just in thought.
Last edited by Wald Lowca on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 276
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sibyl offers a slow cant of the head, along the firelight. For a moment there's simply silence from Sibyl, as the student watches him. A slow blink of the eyes is given. Considering him, for a moment longer, "Twenty four arcs, then." Comes the reaffirmation from Sibyl, as though just saying it aloud might make more sense of it within the student's mind, "A long time to spend out in the wilds." Comes the not too bright observation. But at the very least, the city dweller is making an attempt. Slowly, a sweeping glance is giving down the gusty tundra. For a while, attention still upon Wald, but simply, allowing the gaze to fall elsewhere, for the time being. As though looking long enough at a blank sheet of snow and ice would be enough to give Sibyl an understanding of how Wald could remain out here for so long. But at the very least, it's clear that the student is... Considering it. For once.

But the silence was too overwhelming. The crackling of the fire began to remind Sibyl of the way that the marketplace bustled. Every crackle of an ember, a cluster of voices. ... But if it sounded the same, then why did the student crave the noise? What difference did it truly make?

Yet, even longer still, did Sybil have to consider leaving behind family. Or perhaps getting left behind by? It was something that confused Sibyl. Something that ebbed at the back of the skull, upon hearing. A knit of the lip to the side, in thought, before simply asking, "... You left your family, for the wilderness?" Came the question. It was rather blunt, but it dug at the student's curiosity of the man. The familiar tresses draping to the side, in wide braids, as grey-green eyes settle upon Wald, awaiting his answer.
word count: 312
"No mass graves."

Wald Lowca
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Wald simply shook his head at the newest question from Sybil. "It was not truly leaving my family. It was more like, remembering my family line."

Wald paused the conversation for a moment going into the tent. He gathered some things to eat with; a pair of forks, knives, plates. Taking a breather in the tent before reemerging from its seclusion. Walking back to the fire he passed the plate to Sybil for him to hold for a moment. Sitting back down Wald continued the conversation. "12 generations now have lived in the wilderness of different areas." Taking off his necklace of antlers he showed it to Sybil. "Each one added one antler piece to this necklace." Pointing to the one to the far left. "This is my father's I can remember the deer it came from clearly. It had 14 points on it." Wald then pointed to the one in the center the largest of the antlers. "This is from my earliest ancestor we have recorded. From the stories my father gave he was likely not of human blood. Though anything from way back then has long since disappeared from the bloodline. The antler comes from some dragon like creature."

With a smile after putting the necklace back on Wald said in conclusion. "So even though I left my family behind. They are all still with me as long as I carry this, and so will it be when I pass it on I will be with my Child the same way." Taking the rabbit off of the flames he placed them on each plate to cool. "One day i hope I can be as great a hunter as that man, who started our family on this journey. That is the dream of each generation that has passed." Leaning down he started to cut into his meal to allow steam to bellow out of the flesh. "If you are worried about me, you shouldn't be. I have never felt alone since I started my journey."
word count: 338
Sybil Malach
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Sibyl's attention was fully upon Wald, as he began telling another fragment of his life's story. It was clear that the student was listening intently, even in despite of being distracted by the meat. Organs were hardly a prime cut of meat. But they were drained. Cooked. Cleansed. The meats within were healthy, at least to the body. Though parts of Sibyl's meal were charred, it was far better than undercooking, that's absolutely for certain. But regardless, it was eaten by the student. The Videnese were known for their curiosity of cuisine of the outside world, after all. It's the one binding tie the independent nation had to the rest of Idalos. Something that Sibyl had found strange. ... Could this, here, be considered high class? Something that peasants in other lands consider a staple? Fresh meat was so expensive, this time of year.

"Where did your journey start?" Comes the next question. As Sibyl is handed the plate, a dip of the head is given as a breath is taken, and the cooked meats are placed upon the dish itself. Utterly cold from the ambient temperature, however, it served as an ample answer to the question of how long one need wait for a freshly cooked piece of meat to cool. And despite of all of Sybil's interest in Wald's story, the allure of food, freshly caught foot, was far too tempting of a prospect to pass up. With the stick finished, finally, the cooked flesh of the creature could be enjoyed, "You said... You came from the south, didn't you?"

As the rabbit is served, however, Sybil could not resist. Though eyes were upon Wald, the student must have been a bit hungry, with how quickly those forks and knives intersected, to begin cutting up the cooked rabbit. Eyes glanced towards the necklace. With a confused look, Sybil simply... Believed him. Though well versed in some things, animals was a subject that Sybil simply couldn't fully understand. They existed as pets, or to be eaten, or to be looked at. Nothing really else, really. Chewing on a cut of rabbit, Sybil simply leans back, "Never seen anything like that. ... Dragons have antlers...?" The curious array of questions continue forth, with very much interested looks coming from the student. Wald had Sybil enthralled, and it seemed it was going to be a while before he cleared his curse.
word count: 407
"No mass graves."

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”