• Closed • Champagne, Diamonds, and Dancing (Navyri)

The Elite of Scalvoris hold a gala

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Re: Champagne, Diamonds, and Dancing (Navyri)

Date

Lenn

Lenny exchanged the glasses for Navyri, and followed her out of the cellar. He followed her down the hall to the sausage and cheese cellar. The few staff that were in the hall looked at them, but only for a moment. They'd long since learned to not let their eyes linger on important people. And Navyri most certainly classified as such. None of them even recognized the most exclusive bottle of whiskey in the world in Lenny's hands, and he made no attempt to hide it.

Once she made her demand, Lenny cracked the wax seal over the cork without even a moment's hesitation. In fact, there was an eager, teasing grin on his face as he pulled the cork out. The first notes were a swirl of caramel and smoky oakwood, and they dominated the air between the two for a single moment, before dancing away. Lenny offered Navyri the cork, "Pirate's luck?"

Whether she took it or not, he then poured the whiskey. It flowed like molten gold, appearing to be a far thicker substance than it actually was. The coloring matched, amber with just a hint of light in it. A new scent wafted over the area, cherrywood and orange rind, subtle and mouthwatering. He gave her a slightly more generous amount than would be deemed appropriate. Not so much as to seem greedy or inappropriate, just a bit more than one would pour for just any guest.

The window Navyri looked out showed a fairly empty section of garden and a single statue, a naked man with a Tunawa on his shoulder. Near to it, a couple were clearly too busy kissing one another to notice the window pane being pushed out. Along the length of grass was a simple stone path running parallel to the house's wall. There was certainly enough room to wiggle out for Navyri's body, though the wings might make it a bit more difficult. At the question she asked, "Too long."

The man could hear in her voice where her mind was going with this, so he dropped the smug smile, and conjured up a whiskey glass of his own that he'd squirreled away into a pocket. He poured himself a stiff amount and drank a long draft. He let out a satisfied sigh, he then took the offered cigar, taking a drag off it. Relaxation washed over the man, "Not willingly. He may not care for his staff, but to him, we're property. And he got me for an expensive price."

The man's eyes looked distant, "Too expensive. His son and I were lovers, and before I worked for him, I served as... Well I handled many of the books for several of the pirate lords. After they were lost, Elivarn wanted me for himself, but his son said no. Time and time again."

Lenny's eyes softened, "He killed his son and took me for his own. I only accept it, waiting to get what I need to rid the world of him."

Blinking a couple times, he looked at her, "As much as I would love to leave for a much kinder master, I cannot. Not until I make it right."

word count: 544
Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: 348
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Common Rakahi Gravokian
"A greedy father has thieves for children."

Lenny poured the drink and Nav reluctantly took it, the complex smells filling the space around her. It was… intoxicating. She understood for a moment what the man had meant about savoring the finer drinks; in fact she looked at the bottle with judgemental concern. If she drank this, it would simply ruin all other spirits, and what kind of life was that?

The servant lifted up the cork and she tried not to seem as unsure as she felt. Taking it from him, she held the piece up. What was so lucky about it, exactly? Navyri was quite convinced if either of them were found with this on their persons, they would be very unlucky, indeed. Looking beyond the fragment she took her drink and listened as he began to speak.

Wait.

Navyri looked at the man up and then down, “Really?” she said this with the sort of breathlessness one might offer through tragedy, but the Naer was struggling to understand the logistics of such a… consummation. An Ithecal? But they were so...big.

Oh, I see.

A sly look flashed in her eye - Lenny was quite the little minx. An sexual entrepreneur, if you would… Good for him. Lizard men weren’t exactly her forte in the bedroom, but maybe the rumors about their tongue were true. And they had such strong hands.

“What was his name? Elivarn’s son?”

She lowered her gaze, watching his shadow on the floor and waited an appropriate beat of silence, “I’m sorry to hear that.” Navyri reached out to set her drink on one of the shelves beside a particularly large wheel of cheese and turned, “Here,” Reaching out, she took his hand and held it between her own, slipping the cork into his palm and wrapping his fingers around it, “I hate to turn away luck, but it sounds like you could use more than me.”

Lenny accepted the cork, holding it to his heart, a tear falling. With a pained crack in his voice and in a hushed whisper, “Deneviro.”

Navyri patted his hand and let go. It was so hard. Was she doing it right? Not usually one to turn away a gift, she hoped it made him feel important. That’s what his whole ordeal was about, wasn’t it? Chewing over how to transition the conversation to a point where she could leave, she looked over the wares, “Do you have a plan… to make it right?”

Then he took another deep breath, standing up straight, trying to force himself into some more professional dignity, “I’ve made several plans, but something always seems to happen that would thwart them before they even start. I have begun to lose hope. I’m not built for such conniving. I build people up, help them create empires. I do not tear down or destroy. It is not me. It was not Deneviro…”

Navyri turned the name over in her mind to commit it to memory and shrugged gently, “Empires need a foundation to stay strong. Sometimes on the ruins of another. Just… something to consider. Don’t cry.”

The Naer had no intentions of steering him away from betraying his own master, but she didn’t care enough about his morality to defend it. Life was made up of choices and this man had enough made for him. Would he settle for his station or do something about it? She certainly had to make difficult choices.

“We’ll have to go back soon,” she said this softly, taking back the cigar and enjoying one more puff. It had been burning slowly and she held the cloud in her lungs, tendrils rolling from her mouth as she spoke, flicking away some ash and crushing it beneath her foot, “We can’t have them come looking or all your planning will be for naught. Besides, I believe you’re on the clock.”

She glanced at the window and pressed the tip of the cigar into the wall, its ember sizzling and dying in the shadows. Appeal to his plans; it had a decent chance of working. Navyri retrieved her drink, and held it up in cheers, “To building an empire,” And then she added, “...To Deneviro.”

Navyri pressed her lips around the rim of the glass and tilted it back, fingers hiding the liquid’s height. No liquor touched her tongue, although she wished it had. It smelled absolutely divine, and she forced a fake swallow, resisting the urge to lick her lips. Nav hadn’t exaggerated the truth when she admitted to still needing to fly and she already had champagne and wine soaking in her belly with dinner’s rice. One taste of this would easily lead to many.

She was an indulgent creature and played her part, giving a sound of satisfaction. She swirled the drink and met his eye. The job was not done.

“When you go,” when not if, “I’m going to stay behind. Maybe have one more... I just don’t need any more rumors tonight.” she rolled her neck, offering him an introvert’s smile, “Avriel are vain, but the spotlight tires me, truthfully. And maybe by then things will have calmed down” she rolled her eyes, forcing her body to relax and settle back against the wall. Her own impatience clawed at the back of her mind, telling her to hurry up.

Navyri feigned another drink, watching him over the rim, “Remember what I said."

Be careful.
word count: 928
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Date

To Navyri's toast, Lenny joined her. In for a copper, in for a gold. A fitting drink, fitting company. He'd never told anyone about Deneviro before, never told about his plans. Having heard them aloud, having shared them with someone who clearly had machinations of her own, he knew what he needed to do. It was... surprisingly simple.

At her command, he smiled, one that was true and genuine, "Of course ma'am." He then took a moment to think, "Actually, now that I think about it, it should be about time for dessert. Wouldn't want that to go up in smoke." He gave a simple bow with a flourish of his hand, and turned to take his leave.

Lenny stepped out of cheese cellar and stepped directly into the kitchen. A quick look around and he could see dessert was ready. With a snap of his fingers, "Come, all of you. We must show the guests that nothing is wrong with the staff. They'll want to meet you too, Chef." The servers who'd been mingling in the hall quickly filled into the kitchen, grabbing trays of the desserts, and the various kitchen workers joined in as well, all of them filing out in pairs. Bringing up the rear was Lenny and the chef, leaving Navyri completely and utterly alone in the back of house.

But for how long?

The door to the ballroom swung shut and the servers were quick and efficient in passing out the desserts. They made a big show of it. It seemed to calm down much of them, an appearance of normality. The chef was quickly swarmed by those who tasted the desserts, and began bombarding him with questions. The corpses still laid in the hall, but servants were already beginning to clean it up. After all, the death of servants was not something to dwell on, not for the rich and affluent.

As the trays emptied, the staff began to also bus the tables, loading them up with dishes. From there, they'd begin heading back to the kitchen. After all, this was business as usual.

word count: 358
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Common Rakahi Gravokian
"A greedy father has thieves for children."

It wasn’t a moment sooner that Lenny left the cellar that Navyri got to work. She moved quickly and efficiently, the plan having played within her imagination as they talked. Snatching the bottle of whiskey where the servant had left it, she glanced at the window and the door, listening as the footsteps of other servants went pattering down the hall. Slipping the partially smoked cigar down the front of dress, it rested safely between the slope of her breasts and she poured her own drink back into bottle. If Lenny had left any, she would do the same for his. No way in Idalos was she going to let some of the most valuable drink on this side of the world go to waste!

Adrenaline making her grin, she set the containers back down and hiked up the train of her red dress, pulling back between her legs and then around her hips, tying it off in the front so that she had more mobility. The skin of her thighs and her tattoos were displayed and she was able to run quicker, the fabric of her dress unlikely to get as dirty.

But that wasn’t really a concern. Not now.

Navyri went to the door and pressed her ear to it, and reached up to remove three of the hair pins that had been keeping her dark waves in place. Each between a finger, she stuck the first one in, felt it in the cylinder and shoved it forward into the mechanism. She did this two more times, exhaling to keep her hands from shaking from excitement. She knew what it took to unlock something, jamming would be easy.

Once all three were interfering with the lock, Navyri pulled the dagger from her thighs, flipped it in the air to catch it by the back end of the blade and and brought the handle down like a hammer. The parts of the pins that had been sticking from the keyhole bent and she tested the handle. It tried to turn and then stopped; of course someone like the Warden would probably have no problem, but she was only buying time. Who would be so desperate to get in a cheese cellar?

Placing the blade between her teeth, she grunted as she began hefting a large wheel of cheese from the shelf, and brought it to the floor, rolling it by the door and laying it back down. She did this with one more, stacking them upon the other and ripped at the paper wrapping. Cutting off a sizable chuck, she crudely carved it, popping some of it in her mouth to enjoy the flavor, the rest of went into the bottle; a makeshift cork.

Now it was time to leave.

Navyri collected the glasses and bottle and flew towards the window, catching herself back on the ledge like she had down before. She looked once more, the couple more intimate than ever, but no guards. Tentatively, her hand reached out placing one of the empty glasses along the side of the building, and she paused. When nothing cut her hand off, she did this again with the other, and finally the bottle was manipulated and sat upright. Dagger back between her lips, she readied herself.

Navyri pulled her body upwards and pulled her wings in, squirming into the tight space. Elbows trying to get enough leverage beneath her, she huffed, her hair falling free in full bodied waves now that it had nothing to tame it.

Elivarn’s house didn’t seem to want to let her go and her feet kicked, hips aching as the ledge dug into them beneath her weight. Navyri grabbed at the grass and pulled, then tried a new tactic. Removing the dagger from her mouth, she held it in her hand and stabbed the earth as hard as she could, using it as a handle to pull upon.

Breathless in her struggling, she continued to wiggle, her wings finally giving way and she dragged her body out and rose to her knees, “Finally,” she whispered, crouching and closing the window. Navyri looked down, making sure her top hadn’t been pulled down and brushed away strands of grass and grit that had clung to her. She could only imagine what her hair looked like and collected her things (including the few feathers that had gotten pulled free), tucking the bottle under her arm and re-sheathing the blade at her exposed thigh.

Navyri glanced upward, on the lookout for windows or balconies and kept close to the wall, heart pounding. Taking to the skies right now would be too risky, but she could almost taste her success. Almost.
word count: 797
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Date

The couple that was embraced in their intimacies showed no signs of having noticed Navyri's escape from the cheese cellar. It seemed their clothes could not be removed fast enough nor their moans kept to themselves. And onlookers were the last thing on their minds. In their lusty haste, a stretchy garter belt was flung across the way, landing in the grass before Navyri.

A creak overhead revealed the balcony from the second floor that jutted out. Navyri's current position put her beneath it, obscured from the people who had walked out on it. And it allowed Navyri to hear the conversation that ensued.

"Come here." Deep, baritone, authoritative.

Footsteps moved out onto the balcony, "Sir?" Lenny.

"Look at those two. One man, one woman. Two humans in love." There was a vindictive smugness in the voice.

"Yes, sir." The professional tone was there, but just a bit wavering.

"See how natural they look? How normal? There is nothing disgusting about their coupling."

"Yes, sir."

"Tell me what you've learned about his companion. Who is she?"

"She's of no importance to the Warden. She's a dancer from a foreign land who enjoys parties. Beyond that, she's just another flower in his lapel. She is neither a threat nor useful to you, nor him."

"Just another bimbo? How dull. He seemed... in higher spirits. She must have a twat of gold then. I suppose it wasn't him then."

"So it would appear, sir."

The couple entwined in ecstasy just culminated in a loud, squawking finish, and were beginning to dress.

"Who do you think took my map?"

"I did."

There was a loud crash of a fist on stone, dust spiraling down. The half naked couple startled, and ran off to Navyri's left, while pulling on their clothes. There was a rustle of paper as he handed something to Elivarn. "Once I saw the Warden, I knew what he would try to do. He's stolen a fake."

There was a loud chuckling, "By the Immortals, you truly are worth your weight in onyx. Oh, I cannot wait to see his face when I flaunt this in front of him."

Heavy steps began to leave the balcony, "Lenny, you've saved me. I think this is worth a bonus. What can I give you? Money? One of my wines?"

"You know what I want, sir."

There was a long, tense silence. "Still?"

Another long silence. "Fine. You're fired. Get off my property, you abomination." Elivarn began to storm off, "And if I ever see you near my son's grave again, I'll kill you."

A loud slam of a door was heard.

And from Navyri's right, a guard approached. He saw the state of her attire, saw the wine bottle, his hand immediately going to the pommel of his weapon as he moved toward her with an obvious intent.

"Franklin."

The guard stopped, looking up to see Lenny on the balcony, "Inform the guards that the guests are free to go. The Master has recovered his stolen item."

"Yes, sir. Right away."

The guard cast one long suspicious look at Navyri before turning back toward the front of the property. There was a light thud on the ground near the woman. The lucky cork. And with that, Navyri was left alone there in the side yard of the manor.

Meanwhile, at the Old Fat Bird pub, the Warden sat there, a glass of untouched whiskey in front of him, his table empty. The majority of the pub was regulars who enjoyed drinking alone and in silence. They were the types that did nothing and saw nothing. It wasn't a dirty bar, but was by no means fancy. The map was unfurled in front of him as he studied it in more detail. Time was running out for his meeting. But he was nothing but a man of his word. If she failed to show, he would leave and go home.

word count: 672
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

"What if I fall?"

Oh but darling
What if you fly?
Date

Elivarn’s voice made her still, pressed against the side of the building. The balcony above her, he might as well been right next to her with how clear his voice sounded. She familiarized herself with the sound, and then another joined him - Lenny? They spoke and a frown settled over the Naer’s face. So, it seemed they had similar agendas of intelligence. Although…

Navyri listened closely. A fake? How? Navyri’s brow furrowed. That door had been locked, Lenny had only shown up after… But… that didn’t mean he hadn’t spotted the Warden in the garden and got to work. But… Had he really intended to strike tonight? Where would he have gotten such a perfect replica at short notice?

She didn’t know what to believe, but a guard came approaching from her side. She met his eye and he reached for his sword, ‘Fuck.’

Navyri’s dagger was almost comical in comparison and she tried to think of a lie, even considering bribery. It was hardly fair the couple was left alone simply for the show! She swallowed and exhaled, preparing herself by hardening her stance but there was no use. Lenny spoke again and the man stood down, moving along with a last look of suspicion. Navyri smiled, and then the cork was cast before her.

She considered it. Was it meant for her, or thrown away like trash?

Glancing at the chunk of cheese poking from bottle, she laughed under her breath and her hand reached out, greedily pulling the cork towards her. Maybe it really was lucky? Lenny had gotten what he wanted; she simply needed to find out if he had been telling the truth to the Ithecal or not. But returning to the scene of the crime was a surefire way to get caught.

The Warden would know. She had a good feeling he wasn’t as easily fooled as Elivarn wished to believe. Or… maybe he was? If so, she wasn’t going to risk her skin for a fool.

Navyri began pulling herself from the wall, arms protectively wrapped around the bottle. She paused, spotting the garter and then picked it up between two fingers by the very edge. Holding it far away from her, she slinked by the cellar window and dropped it inside, reclosing it. She certainly hadn’t been wearing stockings.

Although she considered the look… Next time.

Moving confidently, she headed towards the garden, glancing back at the balcony before dipping between the cluster of flowers. Navyri disposed of the two glasses in the bush, and felt lighter because of it. Past the statues she weaved and came up short, the statue of Delroth before her once more. Looking around, Navyri opened her wings and pushed off, pulling the golden circlet from her crown. With a delicate touch, she moved between his outstretched arms and rested it upon his carved hair.

“I haven’t forgotten.”

She admired it for a beat and then she was pulling back. Delroth had been her savior, but he was still her debtor as well. Great wings began moving as they pulled her into the sky. Her silhouette was dark beneath the Saun suns but she flew quickly; Navyri recalled the Warden’s instruction, blue eyes scanning the earth like a hawk.

The wind pulled her dark locks free, the rest of her pins scattering to the earth. It was hard to tell the time of night without the aid of the stars, but she had done her best. Pushing herself faster, she was breathless when she landed and her back muscles were warm from the exertion. It had been awhile since she flew so earnestly.

Taking in the establishment, she untied her dress so that it fell appropriately back in place, but she had a wilder look than before. Still dressed in finery, her hair was windswept, her feathers fluffed and full from use. Arithzma whispering snarky comments within her mind, she rolled her eyes and stepped inside.

The Warden waited at a table.

“You look like you could use a drink,” Navyri placed the bottle down, a hand wrapped around its neck as she slide into the seat opposite of him, “I flew here as fast as I could.” She looked to his empty glass and then the map that may, or may not, have been real. Time to find out.
word count: 747
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Date

The Warden's eyes watched closely as Navyri entered the bar. He watched her get her dress back into place, and there was just a bit of twinkling in his eyes when he saw her ruffled hair. At her offer of a drink, his eyes fell on the bottle, and lips curled into a surprised, teasing grin. He clearly recognized it.

He held up two fingers to the barkeep, who hustled over with two clean glasses, not saying a word before setting them down on the table, making it incredibly obvious that he saw nothing or no one and had no desire to change that. The Warden gestured to the seat for Navyri and waited in silence.

Then the door to the bar opened once more, and Lenny walked in.

The servant strode over to the table with purpose, pulling out a chair for himself, sitting quickly, folding his hands atop the table. "And that's time. You were almost late... Lenny."

The servant smiled, "Some people talk a lot."

"You free of Elivarn then?"

Lenny smiled, "Yes. Thanks to you," he said while looking at Navyri.

The Warden's eyes studied Lenny, before he chuckled and looked at Navyri, "This map is real. I'm sure Elivarn will enjoy lording his fake over me. Let him have his fun."

His eyes turned a bit more stern, "We have more important business to discuss. The first of which is your payment for services rendered." The Warden reached into a pocket, far deeper than should be physically possible for a pocket, before pulling out another sack, deep crimson, silk, gold embroidery. He set it in front of Navyri. It appeared empty. "Your cut of the business deal you helped orchestrate, payment for assisting me in this endeavor, and," at this he grinned broadly, "A signing bonus to work for me on a much larger task."

If Navyri decided to look inside the pouch, she'd see three hefty chests of gold, silver, and gems. A fortune, truly. The Warden continued, "I would like you to use this map to track down the pirate lords, each and every single one. They all carry a special token I desire. I need all twenty."

He pointed at the map, showing how the pirate lords spread far and wide, "I know you cannot be caged to our lovely little island like myself. You can fly free. So I wish for you to do what you do best. And you'll have the full force of my resources behind you."

He then took a drink of the Pirate King's whiskey, for Navyri was, of course, polite enough to have poured it. "Delicious." His stern eyes returned to hers, "If you have questions, I'll answer them only after you've accepted. The signing bonus you can keep regardless. It's just money."

word count: 478
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

I am terrified by this dark thing
That sleeps in me;

After Navyri took her seat, the Warden lifted his hands and the help came meandering over, the same refusal to acknowledge them at all. It wasn’t rude, but the lower class Naer hadn’t received such treatment in awhile. It brought about stranded memories of her childhood, brief flashes of the dark underworld of Augiery and the slaves that had served her family. A survival mechanism where eye contact could mean invitation. She considered this and pulled one of the glasses towards her.

Partially eager to have a taste herself, Navyri began pouring the Warden’s drink when the door opened. A warm breeze followed but when the sound of footsteps came approaching, Navyri’s chin lifted. Look who it was.

So the servant had been working with the Warden all along.

Lenny was all smiles when he pulled up a seat, but Navyri’s eyes were returned to the decanter. The dark haired woman didn’t know what was an appropriate level, and it didn’t even really strike her as something to consider. She poured the amount that would have pleased her and set down the bottle while the Warden was watching Lenny. She heard him chuckle. Nav’s eyes flashed to see where each man’s attention was, “Hm?”

Did she miss a joke?

“The map is real. I'm sure Elivarn will enjoy lording his fake over me. Let him have his fun."

When the Warden spoke again, they were back to business as the tone shifted. Navyri continued to remain quiet, picking apart each word. She had been having fun, but it seemed he intended to keep his promise of repaying her. How much did a shipyard deal cost? Or a map? Or a bottle? The man began reaching into his pockets and then produced a red bag. Satin and embroidered with golden thread, it was beautiful. Beautiful and flat. Matching her dress, it could have been an ideal accessory, but there was hesitancy in her touch.

She waited.

Waited for him to finish his offer.

Many questions lifted to her tongue, but he was clear. He would only answer if she accepted.

“You know I have questions,” Navyri crossed her arms with a look of dissatisfaction, rolling over his words in conflicted consideration, "You're not one to play fair."

Why was he caged to the island?
Why did he need the tokens?
What were his resources?
Why her?

Leaning back, her fingernails tapped at the armrest in quick succession as she turned over the job opportunity. She had remembered the names of the lords she had read in that book… None of which had suggested this task would be remotely easy. If they still lived, of course - Not to mention Martiya looked like just an absolute delight in that bloodied portrait. And that was just one.

Finally, Navyri sat forward and pulled at the drawstring, expecting a colored lining, not the fortune that she saw. Her face paled and she yanked it shut, dropped it back on the table with a stunned experssion, “Havakda!” she gasped in disbelief, “Mezo… Mes’me perto, ejat.” She clasped her hands together, her eyes hardened, and she hated how much she wanted to take the damned thing back. This evening's work couldn’t’ have been worth that much. Rich or not, why would he offer so much?

Ze, I can’t do this,” Money often cost too much. He couldn’t be serious! But there had been nothing in his eyes that said this was a game. Navyri looked at Lenny and then back at the Warden, “I… I…” What words did she want to say? Rakahi, Gravokian or otherwise? More money more problems. But if she could pay back Delroth and get free? Her heart began to pound.

No. It would only get worse. And then was the issue of Belaera still. Maybe? But then...

She shook her head, and lifted up a hand to hide her face. She needed to think. She needed to rid herself of emotion. She needed…

A moment.

The Naer stilled, forcing the racing thoughts from her mind. She listened and she thought, her face still buried behind a delicate hand. Suddenly, Navyri’s fingers split, a lilac eye peering out where her icy blue one had been. It lacked any sort of iris, a pool of seamless color. As she pulled her palm away, the sun-kissed coloring drained from her skin, the freckles on her shoulders turned to a dappling of pale silver. She became as white as Cylus snow and when she spoke, there was a distanced quality. Emotionless. Absolutely stoic, “To whom much is given, much is required.”

Navyri had experienced this form once before and she looked down at the map, calculating the trials between each marked destination, the simple cost of such an expedition. Her little sloop wouldn’t last on those waters, and her wings could only take her so far. She would have to rely on him. To answer to him.

“I cannot ask questions without agreeing, and yet I have not been told my time frame, what these tokens are, the reasoning or the repercussions. I do not know your resources, I don’t even know you.”

Her next sentence was unspoken but it weighed heavy in the small expanse between them.

I don’t think I want to know you.

All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.
Last edited by Navyri on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 922
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Date

The Warden smirked at Navyri's intelligent hesitance. She needed to know more. And she was professional about it. He could see the healthy amount of fear in her eyes and there was not an ounce of greed among it. He could see so much in her eyes. He could see the need to be her own, and yet there were those vying for control of her. She was a woman without a home, yet was at home anywhere. She valued gold, yet wasn't controlled by it.

She was perfect for what he needed.

The Warden laid out his hands, "The time frame is immaterial. While as soon as possible would be preferred, I have been working toward this for a long time. I am nothing if not patient."

The man's hands turned over, and he pointed to the skull and bones compass rose at the top of the map. "That is the symbol on the coins. The purpose for them I cannot give to you at this time. It is... too personal. As for what they do, each has a small boon, helped the Pirate Lords be more successful, but together... I don't really know."

His hands returned closer to him, his fingers interlacing, "As for my resources, you've seen a sliver. Stay around Scalvoris long enough, you'll see truly how vast they are."

Then his eyes grew stern again. "And no, you do not know me. And I intend to keep it that way. Just as I don't wish to know you. Everything I need to know about you, I learned tonight. Learning more about one another creates unnecessary risk. Not just for us, but for the plan I've been working on, for centuries."

He let the weight of that hang there, "Now, I need your answer. I may be patient, but I am not one to waste time. Will you work with me on this?"

word count: 326
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

I am terrified by this dark thing
That sleeps in me;

Navyri had every intention of saying no; she didn’t like how easily the man had cast the fortune before her. She didn’t like how he watched her, and more than anything she hated how she always felt a dozen steps behind whatever he did. Always left to catch up, to react, to play his game. The Naer smoothed out the lap of her dress, reassured by the silken fabric and looked at the compass rose.

It would be important in this quest, smart to remember. “Good. I share the sentiment.” They might not have been on the same page, but there was a common book. The Naer wasn't the type of woman to grow attachments to many, let alone men after a few kisses. They had their fun, but that's all it was. Now it was time to work and she knew how powerful information could be, more than happy he wished to keep a distance. She was relieved. Very few details tonight had, after all, aided her in obtaining Scalvoris an entire shipyard, and that was only on a few sentences and an assessment of attire. There was a level of competence on her part; a certain basis of understanding that she had a chance of completing this assignment. But for him to put so much weight on a stranger was a risky maneuver. It was more likely he would reach out to others as well, especially if this had been in the works for as long as he claimed. Navyri needed to find out if he was lying, maybe if there was competition or alliances, but as far as she was concerned, should someone like Elivarn (or worse), come into the picture, she wouldn’t have much to say. That was good.

But then, how many others could have seen the map?

She planned to leave, to travel the world as she always had. By Idalos, she always expected a few brushes with death and a dozen with danger. Delroth, Belaera, even Audrae, had left her alone. Noth’s little job could be completed once she swung by Etzos and from the looks of it, it wouldn’t be unlikely visit. The problem was when the big wigs came knocking… Those that held her to their service had a special aptitude for turning her life upside down. It could delay her involvement in whatever this was.

“I should have stayed away...” Navyri craned her neck until it cracked, pouring her own glass and finally taking a drink. It was smooth with a bit of bite. She let the liquid pool in the center of her tongue before she swallowed. Her finger walked across the corner of the parchment, a silent request for permission before she flatted her hand and turned it for a better look. Many of the destinations were foreign to her and she had traveled extensively. It appealed to curiosity. A soft sigh rolled from her lips and she shook her head, dark waves falling forward. He was waiting for answer, “Story of my life.” The Warden offered her a fortune and resources, whereas any other job had just been a sort of ‘fetch this, do that'. She had never been given direction, nor any actual means of achieving her goals. Everyone else had simply wished for results and threatened punishment without. If she had succeeded then, how much more could she thrive with a guiding hand?

Taking another drink, deeper this time, Navyri shrugged and acquiesced, much as she had at the mansion. This was such a bad idea, “I’ll see what I can do.”

All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity.
word count: 626
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Almund”