• Solo • The One Who Loves Stories

Ari'sora attends her first feast.

24th of Ymiden 718

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Rei'sari
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 451
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The One Who Loves Stories

24th Ymiden, 718

Ari'sora was giddy with excitement. This trial was the twenty fourth of Ymiden...and that meant that it was Cassion's Feast. She knew of the festival, of course. Mi'zuri celebrated it each arc with her friends. Ren'zar had spoken of it with amusement, and he looked forward to hearing all of the stories the people he worked with came up with in order to outdo each other in a contest of sorts. He had always claimed that he won these contests each arc, but Ari'sora never quite believed him. Even her mother had enjoyed the festival. But she had never been allowed to participate. Until now.

Everyone in Beacon had decided to put together a feast, with each member of the community bringing a dish. She had been asked to make a cake for dessert. Ari'sora was no stranger to cooking, but she had never baked a cake before. Fortunately, her next door neighbor, a woman by the name of Erin, loved to bake. So she had offered to teach Ari'sora how to bake whatever cake Ari'sora chose to make.

After looking through several recipe books, and asking Erin for advice on what cakes would be hard for a beginner like her to ruin, Ari'sora had found a recipe for a lemon cake that looked delicious.

"Have you done much baking before?" Erin asked as they entered Erin's kitchen.

Ari'sora shook her head.

"A little, but not much, and nothing that was going to be served at a feast like this. But I have done a little reading on the subject."

Erin gave her an amused look.

"Oh? And what did you learn?"

Ari'sora didn't know why her neighbor was so amused, so she frowned in confusion as she answered the question.

"I learned that baking is a dry heat method of preparing food. I am pretty sure that that means that the food made using this method isn't submerged in water as it cooks. I could be wrong about that, though. I also learned that baking is used to create flour based foods such as pastries, breads, cakes, biscuits, shortbread, and cookies. It requires heat, and an enclosed space. That usually means using an oven, but it can be done over a campfire too. At least that is what the book I read said."

Erin nodded.

"You're not wrong, Ari'sora. But a lot of baking involves things that can't really be learned by reading a book. The more you bake...or cook, for that matter, the more you get a feel for the ingredients you are working with. You get a feel for what flavors work well together, and what ones shouldn't be used in the same dish. And you get a feel for what you can use to substitute for an ingredient that a recipe calls for if you are out of it. A truly skilled chef or baker will usually create their own recipes rather than rely on ones found in books. All of these things are learned through arcs of practice, trial, and error...not by reading a book about baking."

It was hard for Ari'sora to wrap her mind around the idea that some things couldn't be learned from books, but she did know that Erin was right. She just didn't have to like it.

"Are you ready to get started?"

Ari'sora nodded, and grinned. She was eager to get to work, and it showed in her expression, posture, and in the way her body nearly quivered with excitement for the task at hand. Erin chuckled.

"I can see that you are. For now, we will be following the recipe closely. If you find that you like baking, I can teach you how to adjust recipes and even create your own as you learn more. But for now, what does the recipe say that we need?"

Ari'sora read through the ingredients before she turned back to her neighbor.

"We need two and a half cups of flour, one tablespoon of lemon zest, one teaspoon of salt, half a teaspoon each of baking soda, and baking powder, one cup of unsalted butter, one and a half cups of white sugar, two large eggs, three large egg yolks, two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, and one cup of low fat buttermilk."

"Okay. So why don't you squeeze one of the lemons I have in the bowl on the table while I get the rest of the ingredients? That will be the best use of our time since I'm the one who knows where I keep everything we'll need."

Ari'sora was quick to obey.

"Why do people share stories at Cassion's Feast?" she asked curiously, as she sliced open her lemon.

Erin paused to look at her.

"Well...because it's Cassion's Feast, of course. We share stories to honor him. Stories is one of his Domains, after all. Along with Travel, Adventure, and Hunger. How much do you know about Cassion, Ari'sora?"

"Not much, really. I did know that travel was one of his Domains, but I didn't know about the others. I read once that he is said to always be seen in traveling gear with pockets and cases filled with weapons, and all sorts of things that he finds in his travels. And I'm pretty sure that the book I read mentioned that he is sometimes called the Wanderer."

"It is said that Cassion is raucous of humor, insatiable, dangerous, and charming. He can often be found traveling with other adventures. And it is often believed that he comes to Scalvoris on this trial to sample the food served at the feasts held in his honor, and to read through the stories people write for this festival. Cassion is called the Wanderer, but he is also known as Old Dust, The Taleweaver, and Man of Roads. When he chooses to give someone his blessing, that mark is called Sojourn. Cassion only gives it to people who like adventuring as much as he does. Of all of the Immortals, I would most like to meet him. And I hope that I will be able to travel the world as he does some trial. I would happily spend the rest of my life discovering new places to see and new wonders if I could."

It sounded as if Erin was fascinated by Cassion, and Ari'sora found that she couldn't really blame her. He did sound like an interesting person...Immortal to know. But Ari'sora thought she would be more interested in meeting him for the stories that he could tell her than anything else. If he spent all of his time traveling the world then think of all of the languages he must know! Think of all the places he must know about, and all of the things he must have learned as he traveled. Ari'sora found herself wanting to meet him just to hear some of the stories he must have.

"So what is the first step in the recipe after you've collected all of the ingredients?"

Ari'sora checked the recipe carefully.

"It says to preheat the oven to 350 degrees."

Erin nodded. Then she gestured for Ari'sora to do so.

"You'll find that a lot of recipes that require the use of an oven will call for you to preheat it to a set temperature. It's a very useful trick of the trade so to speak. When you preheat the oven, it will heat up to the temperature you need to cook your dish at while you are preparing the ingredients. That way, when you are ready to cook the dish, the oven will be ready for you. That saves you time, and it ensures that the ingredients you used don't get stale or soggy while you wait for the oven to heat up."

Ari'sora grinned. That did sound like a useful trick, and she promised that she would keep it in mind.

Off Topic
This post covers the following challenges:

Creation Challenges

1. Have your character create something in a thread using a skill they do not possess, could be anything from a cake, to an arrow, to a torch. Never tried basketweaving, shoemaking or knitting? Give it a go!

***baking a cake***

Story Challenges

6. Participate in a feast/City -specific celebration.

7. Learn more about an Immortal of your choice (at least 5 non-skill knowledges).

Growth Challenges

2. Have your character learn a trick of a trade from another person (PC or NPC).
word count: 1457
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The One Who Loves Stories

Ari'sora and Erin talked about a lot of things as they worked, each enjoying the other's company. As they mixed their ingredients, Erin kept a close eye on what Ari'sora was doing, and gave her tips and advice as needed. And when she saw her doing something wrong, she gently corrected her with a smile as she showed her what she should be doing. Better yet, she explained why her way was the right way to do it rather than yell at Ari'sora for messing things up and letting her fumble her own way into the "right" way without ever knowing what she was doing wrong.

But they also talked about the festival itself. And as they talked, Ari'sora got to know her neighbor better. It was a good feeling. And it was funny, too. Especially when Erin tossed a bit of extra flour at her, making it look as if it was snowing for a few trills. The "snow" coated her hair, and when Erin laughed at the way she looked, Ari'sora retaliated with some flour of her own. This resulted in a small "war" that left people, counters, and floor alike covered in "snow." But they had been careful not to get any extra flour into their mixing bowls; when Erin had seen where things were headed between them, she had hastily covered their mixing bowls with cloth to prevent just that. They would have a huge mess to clean up when they were finished, of course, but neither of them minded. And Ari'sora realized that baking could be a lot of fun if there were other people around to "help."

Once the "war" ended, and Erin was declared the winner, based on how much flour they were each wearing, it was time to get back to work. The flour, lemon zest, salt, baking powder, and baking soda had been whisked together in one bowl. And the butter and sugar had been beaten together until they were light and fluffy. Erin showed Ari'sora how to beat each of the eggs and egg yolks into the mixture one at a time, making sure to beat the mixture well in between each new addition. After that came more beating, this time to add the lemon juice.

When that was done, Ari'sora's hands ached from all the beating, so she buttered and floured two eight inch cake pans while Erin carefully beat the flour mixture into their batter, alternating it with the buttermilk until everything was combined. As Erin worked, she cautioned Ari'sora to make sure to tap out the excess flour...something the younger girl found very amusing after their flour war; there was plenty of "excess" flour everywhere! Finally, it was time to divide the batter between the two pans, and put both into the oven to bake.

"How long are we supposed to bake the cakes for, Ari'sora?"

Ari'sora checked the recipe quickly.

"Thirty five bits. Then we have to let them cool for ten bits before we take them out of the pans and let them cool on the rack."

"Good. That will give us some time to clean this mess up and get the icing made while we wait. In both cooking, and baking, it is a good idea to use any "down" time to get things cleaned up so there is less of a mess to deal with afterwards. You can also get a start on other dishes so that everything is ready at the same time. Multitasking is very important here, as it is with many things."

Ari'sora nodded. When they had the flour from their flour war cleaned up, Erin told her to check the recipe for the icing she had chosen while Erin washed the dishes.

"We'll need three cups of powdered sugar, a third of a cup of softened butter, one and a half teaspoons of vanilla, and...it says one to two tablespoons of milk?"

Erin nodded.

"That sounds about right. What it means is that you need at least one tablespoon of milk, then if the consistency of the icing is too thick, you can add more one drop at a time until it is thin enough to suit your tastes. Up to a second tablespoon worth. But it's best to get everything at once so you'll have it in case you need it. Can you finish the last of the dishes while I get the ingredients we'll need?"

Ari'sora was quick to agree. They both worked quickly, and by the time Ari'sora was drying the last of the dishes they'd used for the cakes, Erin had all of the ingredients they'd need for the icing ready. Under her neighbor's watchful eye, she mixed the powdered sugar and and butter together. When it was time, Erin added the vanilla and a tablespoon of the milk slowly as Ari'sora continued to stir the mixture. The icing was a little thick, so Erin added a few drops of the remaining milk. That did the trick, and the icing was ready.

It was time for them to take the cakes out of the oven, so Erin had Ari'sora do so.

"We want the cakes to be warm when we put the icing on, but not hot. So let's let them cool for a while. By the time we can take them out of the pans, they will be ready to ice."

Ari'sora would have gone to get herself cleaned up while they waited, but she was distracted by a knock on the door.

word count: 948
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Erin went to get the door, and returned with Mi'zuri. Mi'zuri took one look at Ari'sora and Erin, and burst out laughing.

"You both look ridiculous! What did you do...drop a bag of flour, or something?"

Erin and Ari'sora exchanged glances, then burst out laughing themselves.

"Or something." Ari'sora agreed.

"What are you doing here, Mi'zuri? I thought you wanted to spend the festival with your friends?"

"I am. But I wanted to check in and see how you were doing, first. This is your first festival, after all. And I feel kind of bad for not spending it with you."

It was something they had talked about a few trials ago. But Ari'sora really didn't get along with Mi'zuri's friends well. They were...overwhelming to the young girl who just wasn't used to being around people who were so loud and boisterous. It didn't help matters any that her sister's friends weren't tolerant of people who were different than they ware...and Ari'sora was very, very different. It wasn't her appearance as much as that she simply didn't know...or care about the same things that Mi'zuri's friends did. And in their eyes, that was a crime that couldn't be forgiven. When Mi'zuri had first introduced them to Ari'sora, they had quickly realized how different she was, and they had tormented her for it. If Ari'sora never saw them again, she would be happy.

"Your first festival?" Erin asked with a confused frown.

The two girls nodded.

"The first one I've ever been allowed to participate in, anyway."

Erin looked shocked by this. For a few trills, Ari'sora could see pity in her eyes, and she hated it. But before she could close down emotionally, Erin seemed to regain control of her reaction.

"Then we'll just have to make certain that you have a good time. Since Mi'zuri has plans of her own, you can come with me when it's time to celebrate with the others. I know most of the people living here in Beacon by name, at least, so I can introduce you to them. We're a quiet group for the most part, but we do have fun together during festivals such as this. I think we might be easier to get along with than Mi'zuri's friends were. At least...we understand what it's like to have...difficulties in your life. Things beyond your control that leave you at a severe disadvantage when it comes to dealing with others. It's part of the reason we're all here."

They frosted the cake together. Mi'zuri jumped in to help by insisting that she clean up while Erin and Ari'sora get ready to go to the festival.

"Do you have a story written down for the sharing?"

Ari'sora nodded. She had written it the night before, in anticipation of this trial. She didn't know if it was a good one to use, being part true, and part made up. The story was about a little girl who was trapped in a tower, and had only books for company. But she wasn't lonely, because the books were her precious friends, and they shared secrets with her that could only be found deep within their pages.

"That's all you'll need, then. Well...that, and this cake."

Ari'sora grinned. She thought that they had done a pretty good job on it, considering that it was the first one she had ever made. Mi'zuri teased Ari'sora a bit, then left to meet up with her friends. Once she had gone, Erin, and Ari'sora made their way to the house where the people of Beacon were gathering. Ari'sora was amazed by the sheer amount of food that people had brought to share.

When they had chosen what they wanted to eat, she and Erin made their way to the table that had been set for them. Ari'sora grinned at her neighbor when Erin managed to sit next to the empty seat set aside for Cassion. As they ate, people began to share their stories. They started at the head of the table, and one by one, the guests read the stories they had brought to share. Some were better than others, but all were received well by the other guests. Funny stories were laughed at, at sad stories were commiserated with. Those that were clearly made up were praised for the skill of the one who had made it up. No one was criticized, or made to feel bad about the story they had to share.

That made Ari'sora feel better when it came to tell her own story. Unused to crowds as she was, she spoke quietly, but rather than be berated for it, the people quieted until they could hear her better. Ari'sora couldn't bring herself to look at anyone as she read, but she could hear their reactions. And they seemed to enjoy it. They sympathized with the little girl who had no companions other than her books, and cheered when she won her freedom from the tower, and took her place among the scholars of the land, welcomed among them despite her young age because of what she had learned over the arcs in her books.

After she finished reading her story, she sat down once more, and returned to her meal. By then, the remains of the main meal were being cleared away, and dessert was being served. Ari'sora took a slice of the lemon cake she and Erin had made as well as a few other things to try, including a bowl of glazed fruits. When she took a bite of the cake, she was happy to see that it tasted as good as it looked.

Once the last story had been shared, and the last of the food had been consumed, it was time to return home. It was late, and Ari'sora was exhausted, but she had loved every trill of her first festival. She couldn't wait to tell her sister about it, and see if Mi'zuri had enjoyed herself as much as she had.

word count: 1062
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Ari'sora

Knowledges
Baking: is a dry heat method of preparing food
Baking: requires heat, and an enclosed space; usually this means an oven, but it can be done over a campfire too
Baking: is used to create flour based foods such as pastries, breads, cakes, biscuits, shortbread, and cookies
Baking: can be fun when done with others
Baking; Recipe: lemon cake
Cooking; Recipe: vanilla frosting

Immortal: Cassion
Cassion: his Domains are Stories, Travel, Adventure, and Hunger
Cassion: is said to always be seen in traveling gear with pockets and cases filled with weapons, and all sorts of things that he finds in his travels.
Cassion: is raucous of humor, insatiable, dangerous, and charming
Cassion: is known as The Wanderer, Old Dust, The Taleweaver, and Man of Roads
Cassion: his mark is called Sojourn; it is given to adventurers
NPC: Erin
Erin: one of Ari'sora's neighbors in Beacon
Erin: loves to bake
Erin: knows a lot about Cassion
Erin: is deeply impressed by Cassion
Erin: has offered to teach Ari'sora more about baking

Loot: N/A
Injuries: N/A
Renown: +5

Points 10

Comments: This thread was so cute! I've not read much of Ari'sora but I really liked this thread; it was a simple, delightful, breath of fresh air among all of the intense ire and drama of the world of Idalos. Great job, and well done performing the challenges alongside this great solo! Here's your rewards. :)

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=2&image_id=13883[/img][/center]
word count: 260
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”