• PM To Join • True Service

For those who have ever wondered what a slave dreams of....

40th of Ymiden 716

Here are all threads from before the Fall of Emea in 719 and all threads pertaining to the Fall. As of Ymiden 719 (1st June 2019), this forum is locked for new threads and is a repository for old content.

Moderator: Staff

Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

True Service

40th Ymiden 716

In the waking world, Faith was asleep on the floor of the undertaker's shop where she lived and worked. On the floor in the room where the bodies were, the young slave turned and mumbled something unrecogniseable in her sleep. Her body in the waking world was a scrawny, underfed thing which did not speak of the growth that she would have experienced had she been properly fed. But as she opened her eyes inside her dream, Faith was not the scrawny girl laying on the floor but she was the woman that she should, by now, have been. Her mist-grey eyes looked around and she frowned slightly, things were not what they should be.

But they were. In an entirely other way, things were exactly as they should be.

Faith stood from the floor and she stretched, raising her hands to the sky and then she looked around. It was the place that she knew, there was no doubting it. It was the familiar shop, but with some differences that she had not, at first, noticed. Like the stained glass window in the wall, which was actually from her childhood in Athart, and the door being like the door of the University. They were small, but significant differences to her. However, the whole experience had a strange, otherworldly and yet entirely *there* quality.

And so, Faith decided, she would explore. Standing up she smoothed down the dress that she was wearing and then she looked at it in some surprise. It was *the* dress. The one that she had seen once, arcs ago as a young child, worn by one of the mistresses in Athart. It had been her first memory of wanting something, of envy. It was beautiful. The top of the dress itself was white, with a tight sweetheart neckline and bodice with black embroidery and sequins sparkling on it. The skirt of the dress was long and black, seemingly made of strips of fabric so fine that it seemed to be almost woven from shadows. She looked down at it in surprise and then caught sight of her own, much more shapely figure accentuated by the bodice of the dress and she quirked one eyebrow. "Well, hello, lads" she murmured and then she smiled.

But, enough of the dress and the newly curved figure, Faith decided that she would explore and so she skipped lightly out of the room where the bodies were kept (there were none here to-trial, how odd) and she made her way out, feeling drawn to the reception area. And it was there, in the reception area that Faith saw her beloved Famula, sitting behind the reception desk and working. She looked up as Faith entered and She gave a slight, ever so slight smile.

"You are late" Famula said, and Faith stood, unable to move in shock and surprise.
word count: 484
Life, Death and the In-Between .
Niv
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Tiny Sage
Renown: 101
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

True Service

The familiar chorus of birds among the tree tops could still be heard as distant murmurs just before Niv closed her eyes to rest. The tiny Tunawa’s journey to Emea brought her to a very strange place that she’d never encountered before. Her surroundings were definitely crafted but with a less crude fashion than what Niv was accustomed too. She traversed the landscape of carved wooden pillars that stretched up towards the bottom of a table and the seats of surrounding chairs. There was little sign of sunlight, except for the colourful beams coming from the strange glass window above.

This foreign land had its charm but it lacked rhythm and song. Without a second thought Niv plucked a soft purple blossom from her head and blew the petals out into the air. The petals began to surround her as she preformed a spin and they gently lifted her of the ground as they swirled about faster. She flew about around the room with a cloud of swirling petals underneath her while singing a gentle bird song. Eventually more birds and butterflies appeared in the ceiling corners of the room as if they had been sitting their all along. They were more like ghosts than actual birds however and their caws and tweets sounded like distant echoes.

While flying about on her petal cloud with a small party of spectral wildlife flying about her, she saw a girl wearing a cumbersome but beautiful dress. The young girl with raven hair was being addressed by an invisible person that only the girl could see. Not wanting to interrupt, Niv gently landed on the girls head and the ghostly birds followed suit by placing themselves on the girls shoulders. Niv was well aware that she was simply a visitor here and waited for things to unfold.
word count: 306
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

True Service

Faith stood, shock evident on both her face and in every movement (or lack thereof). Stock still and tension in every single muscle she had. It was Famula. She was standing right there and Faith's silver eyes widened and she willed herself to move. To move. To do... Something. Anything. To move, for the love of all that was in the world, she had to move. But she couldn't.

"I...er....I....uh..." she said, barely able to even make those few vowel sounds in the presence of her beloved Famula, unable to move, unable to speak and certainly completely incapable of functioning. "Aaah" she added, for good luck. But then, all of a sudden there was a feeling of something dropping on her head. Like a... Wheat bag or a ferret or ... An upside down hat, or something. She lifted a hand to find out what it was that was on her head as an automatic reaction and that broke the cycle of paralysis that she had put herself in.

So, she stopped her hand before she contacted with the (wheat bag/ ferret /hat) thing on her head and she fell to her knees, then bowed so that her face was touching the floor and her hands were in front of her. Without knowing that there was another person sharing her dream, for she had no idea that she was dreaming, Faith fell to worship Famula. Famula looked at her and smiled. "Rise, child" she said, and Her voice was as wonderful as Faith had considered it would be.

"Blessed Famula, I... I am... What are you doing here?" she asked with a reverence.

"I am looking at the birds on your shoulders, child. Who is that on your head?" the Immortal asked and Faith lifted her hand to find out just what it was that had landed on her head but moments ago.
word count: 317
Niv
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

True Service

A cold and forbidding woman appeared in front of Niv and her dark eyes seemed to draw the tunawa in like the vacuums of space. There was a striking otherworldly presence to this mysterious women and it was confirmed as the girl beneath addressed her in the manner one does towards a goddess or high priestess. Niv wasn’t familiar with the name Famula but it sounded like she should know it.

“I’m Niv or -“ Niv stopped to sing a short but complex melody made entirely out of bird chirps “As my parents call me. What is your name raven haired girl.”
Niv lept off the girls head and placed a single foot on a stray petal in order to gracefully ride it down in view of the girl. With the limitations of the real world out the door Niv was able to preform a dynamic mid air ballet with little effort. Niv leapt between petals and preformed beautiful flips and spins to showcase her skills to the girl before ending on a platform of gathered petals that floated eye level between the girl and immortal. Niv rolled onto her belly with her head propped up by her thin arms and kicked her legs back and forth in amusement.
“I didn’t mean to intrude, but this forest is much different than mine and I wanted to observe it.” Niv turned her head to Famula. “You are one of the immortals are you not? Is this your domain?” While parts of seemed less vibrant than the wilds, to a naive tunawa this fairly typical building could easily be a divine sanctum of a god.

“Oh and I'm sorry about my birds, they followed my song.” Niv quickly chimed in as the birds began to circle faith in a soft flurry of colourful plumage.
word count: 305
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

True Service

Faith had not yet worked out that this was a dream. In the dream she was very much aware of Famula and Her presence, but even the devout slave was somewhat taken aback by the small creature who flew down in front of her, walking on petals and so on. She introduced herself as Niv or.... Twitter. Faith thought she'd best just call her Niv, rather than try to duplicate the sounds that the small creature made. Was she part bird or.... Faith had never seen one of her race before, so she was not aware of anything about her or her people. "I am.. I am Faith" she said, softly. She looked, confused, between the Immortal she so adored and the small creature who was surrounded by birds and petals. These were not the usual symbols of Famula, and the Immortal looked at Niv with an unwavering gaze.

"I am Famula." Came the reply to Niv's question from the woman who stood there. Steppingg out from behind the reception desk, the woman was not tall for a human woman - she stood at just over five and half foot, but seemed to be taller as she was being carried by the swirling mass crimson-red souls, lifting her as she moved. The Immortal had fiery red eyes and long silver-blue hair. She carried with her a lantern, and Faith seemed to be completely entranced. "This is not my domain, this is her dream" Famula said and Faith looked up with surprise. "Mine? I... she stuttered.

Faith's representation of the Immortal looked at Niv and spoke, "I am her desire to be free of her owner, to serve me directly" she said and Faith looked between the two of them. "I.. Hello Niv" she ended, weakly.
word count: 299
Niv
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

True Service

“Strange name but I like it” Niv’s mouth widened into a cheerful smile at faith’s timid introduction. “And it’s always nice to meet an immortal, I haven’t ever met one before.” The tunawa bowed respectively and seemed surprisingly calm considering the ominous immortal of death standing in front of her. Had Niv not been in a dream she might have had more questions but she just accepted the dark red spirits that carried the immortal through the air as if it was an every day occurrence.

“Her Owner?” Niv replied in confusion. It was a word the Tunawa was only used to hearing in relation to an object since Desnind had no slaves “And why am I in your dream faith?” Niv leaned in towards Faith and keenly inspected her face to see if she knew her but nothing seemed to come to mind.

“You look like a foreigner, I’ve never seen a Sev’ryn with bark as white as yours.” Niv stopped and looked up at the girls dark hair “are you a Crow?”
It probably seemed like a silly question but Niv had heard of foreigners considering animals their property and they could have tricked Faith into thinking she was human.
“Sorry if that was rude but I just don’t know how we would know each other Or why I would be in your dream. Though I suppose we may have been chosen to learn from each other.”
It seemed like the only explanation Niv could think of at the time, but had no idea what she could learn from a pet crow. The tunawa had already talked to many crows in her 6 arc’s of life and was confident she knew all there secrets. A caged crow would surely not have learned anything worth wild, having lived in a cage her entire life.
word count: 313
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

True Service

Famula stared at Niv with an expression which epitomised the phrase 'no discernable sense of humour'. Faith seemed mostly unpeterbed by that as she didn't expect humour from the Immortal she so adored, but still this funny little creature in the reception area (dream? was it a dream? How very odd) was more bizarre than anything, or anyone that she had ever met. "I'm glad you like my name. Thank you" she said with a smile "It used to be something else, but when my owner bought me, he told me that was what it was" she explained. Why was she explaining such to this small little person? She didn't rightly know but, as the reception desk changed shape and unexplicably metamorphasised into a black horse, Faith considered that maybe this little woman was right. Maybe this was a dream.

"Am I dreaming you?" she asked Famula and the Immortal nodded her head, cooly. "So you are not real?" Faith asked and the Immortal woman considered the human slave with an expression usually reserved for a cat looking at a particularly tasty mouse "Who is to say what is real and what is not. We are here. I am real, to you, in this moment"

Faith nodded her head and then, of all things, a tear rolled down her cheek. She wiped away at it, but two more followed and she realised that she was on to a losing battle. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, I have... all my life, I have dreamed of meeting You, but ... this isn't real, is it?" she sniffled and looked at Niv apologetically. "I think it must be a dream you know. I haven't cried in such a very long time" she explained.

Then, Niv spoke to her and Faith blinked a few times as the black horse galloped off into the distance. Which was odd, since the reception area now seemed to be in the park. "I am human, not Sev'ryn. I.. this is my skin. No, I am not a crow. My owner.. yes. I am a slave, I was sold into slavery at birth and trained. My owner now is Jamal" she explained "I don't know why you are in my dream, but yes, I ... that makes sense. Maybe we can learn from each other" she said. She looked at the small creature and she considered what this small creature could possibly teach her, since she didn't know the difference between humans and crows.

Famula watched the whol thing unfold, interest evident on her face.
word count: 434
Niv
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

True Service

Faith’s explanation of owner didn’t really clarify anything to Niv She could only assume faith was referring to her parents at the time and move the conversation along. Though the wooden structure that began to shape itself into a wild horse was enough to distract her from saying anything while Faith questioned her dream goddess. When Niv’s eyes stopped following the horse as it galloped away she noticed they were suddenly outside. The sudden arrival of greenery was refreshing but the area was still too tame. It was clear that the area had been manipulated by humans with the trimmed grass and the flowers and plants in district patterns. Niv didn’t like it, but it was still more familiar than the previous location.

The area directly under Niv began to irrupt into a untamed patch of wild plants, fungi and grass that slowly crawled along the ground like a green octopus . A pair of butterflies also appeared from the ground and began to flutter around in a dance of courtship before gently landing on Niv’s platform of Petals.

The Tunawa’s gaze moved from her new fluttering guests to see that faith had begin to cry and was addressing Niv directly. “It’s been a while since I’ve cried too but its good to do from time to time. it cleanses the soul” The tiny Niv nodded as she imparted the pearl of wisdom she’d gained from her mother. Niv cried quite a bit after her friends were a assumed to be lost forever in a fire and it made her feel weak every time. Her parents were able to help her but Niv hates still to cry.

“Oh…” Niv paused to review all the answers she’d been given in succession “what’s slavery.” Niv had no idea what the word could be since it was never spoken about in Desnind, at least in her presence.

“I don’t have much knowledge to share but I am good at dancing and I know quite a bit about useful herbs and poisons.” There wasn’t much more Niv could really think of that could be of worth to faith.

As they talked a tiny wood land soared from the nearby trees and landed directly on Faiths head.
Niv squeeked in surprise at the arrival of her flying squirrel friend and began speaking in happy squirrel chatter which the squirrel returned.
“Oh sorry, Faith and Famula this is my friend Skret.” Niv explained to the two women before looking at faith “Skret said your hair makes for a great nest. I'd have to agree, a very good place to roost, your head is." The ghostly birds still resting on Faith's shoulders, nodded their heads in agreement.
word count: 464
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

True Service

The area beneath the strange little creature burst into wilderness and Faith watched it, wide eyed. Butterflies fluttered and grass and windflowers grew and exploded in a cacophany of colour. She didn't really understand any of this, and she couldn't quite get her head around the fact that she was crying. She never cried. It wasn't something that was appropriate, so the young slave never did it. Of course, in her dreams she did it quite often but she wasn't really prepared to believe that this was a dream yet. Even though it obviously was. Because then Famula would just be a dream and Faith had wanted to see her beloved Immortal so much that she didn't want it not to be true.

But, as the dream became more and more obviously so, the young girl realised that there was no point holding on to a lie. Famula as she stood there was Faith's own internal representation, not the reality. "I'm sorry" she said, softly to Niv. She didn't mean to cry, certainly. At Niv's question, though, she was about to answer when Famula stepped forward herself and began to speak, to answer the small woman. "It is a practice throughout Idalos. When a baby is born, in Faith's case, that baby was given to those who taught her that she is not a person, but an object. If she disobeyed, she was beaten or starved. They took away her individual identity and replaced it with one that they had made; which was to say that they told her that she belonged to them, that she must obey. And so she learnt and she still knows nothing different. It is the opposite of freedom" Famula spoke casually, her hand reaching and taking a strand of Faith's hair but looking entirely at Niv.

Faith nodded, looking at Famula gratefully and then turned back to Niv. She would have said something else but just then a small furry animal landed on her head. She gave out a yelping sound of surprise, but then looked up and realised that she had a... "Please, tell Skret that I said hello. And... umm... I hope that Skret is comfortable" she said, not quite sure what the right thing to say was. But herbs and poisons? Faith nodded her head "I use herbs a lot, in incense and oils and so on. I would love to learn from you, and teach you what I know. Maybe we can help each other?" she wondered. That would be wonderful, she considered and would make this dream a very useful one.

Much more useful than that one where he teeth had fallen out and turned into ants. She tapped her tongue against the back of her teeth just to be sure. No, all there. That was good, so she looked at Niv hopefully.
word count: 485
Niv
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

True Service

Niv went silent after the grim deity explained what a slave was. It was just such a surreal and horrible concept that the Tunawa didn’t know how to react. Parts of her felt engaged, others felt disgust and Niv even felt she might cry. It was something that Niv was confident would never be tolerated in Desnind under any circumstances and she was more than thankful for that.
“Oh..Thank you Famula” was the only thing Niv could mutter but the pained expression held on her expressive face said it all.

Niv was thankful for her friend’s sudden arrival because it allowed her to avoid the uncomfortable subject. Though with Faiths tearful eyes the diversion didn’t last long and Niv had to try harder to evade the assault on her emotions. Niv gave a few chirps to Skret to relay Faith message and Skret chirped back before curling up into a relaxed ball.
“I told her and she says she’s going to take a nap.”

“oh yes, have you heard of the Moukou bean? it grows in pods in a Moukou tree and can be eaten to relieve pain and help people sleep. Though you have to make sure people don’t eat too much, or a wolf might grow in their tummy and start growling.” Niv began to explain her passion intently but with a surprising lack of knowledge in human anatomy.
“Theres also the seaweed Bouy’s of the ocean that purifies the salty ocean water into large green sacks of fresh water. I know some healers use the seaweed to wrap wounds since they’re salty enough to help disinfect wounds. The problem is that their usually guarded by scary sea monsters called Mer.”

“Have you ever tried to escape being a slave?” The words seemed to involuntarily come out of Niv’s mouth but the question had been running through her mind through her explanation and she just couldn’t let it go.
“Sorry that was rude..” Niv back peddled from the sensitive subject as it made her feel all kinds of unpleasant feelings in her core. “you don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to.”
word count: 368
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Fall & Before”