Shouldering the Consequences

Zasa

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Western Continent
Finn
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Priest and doctor assistant
Renown: 130
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Saun 3, Arc 718
It was the third day of saun, early morning. Yet, the sun refused to give anyone a break from its insistent heat as it bathed Idalos in its glory, beating down on it mercilessly. It was clear that with each passing trial the sun would get more stubborn to retreat from the sky and give the inhabitants a rest, a moment to recompose so that they could face its power again the following trial. Alas, there were only shadows that could offer some refuge and those would be frequented by the many.
Finn was in the Eastern shrine since the early breaks of the trial. He always started before many others as the quiet and peace of no other soul around helped the man work. Or maybe he just enjoyed the silence. Mainly on his own at this point, he indulged the coolness of the dome and the white oak tree as he worked around the temple and its shrines. Moreover, it was this trial that he set the meeting with the blonde for and he did not want to risk missing the man’s arrival and hence an opportunity to try and save a soul from potential suffering. Or more of it than the man seemed to have suffered by now.
There were a few reasons why Finn set their meeting on this trial. One was for the blonde to have time to ponder on what was said when they first met, let it soak in if the blonde would allow it to. The priest knew that he was running a risk of the man deciding not to return by delaying their meeting to now, but it was a risk that he was willing to take. The other reason was for the priest to have time to research and make necessary preparations. For what he had in mind, he couldn’t just conjure images out of thin air like Ymiden. And perhaps those wouldn't even work with the blonde who as an empath would be more susceptible to the inclinations of his nature in real life setting.
No matter what he planned or how he planned it, Finn couldn’t quite guess where to-trial would go with the blonde and his mind went over all the various scenarios. Be it for better or worse, Finn was hoping that the man would understand one crucial factor - there were more sides to a story than the one we chose to see and each of them was as important to the final decision.
At this stage, where there was nothing more the priest could do, his only hope was that the man would not show up towards the end of the trial as they did not set a particular break for the meeting. Otherwise, that would throw his plans into a bit of disarray.
word count: 478
Favourite quote:
They do not yet understand the purpose of forgiveness. It is not to spare wrongdoers a punishment they deserve. It is to spare the injured ones the ongoing pain they do not.

~ Ymiden
Zasalamir
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 20
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Saun 3, Arc 718

After his ordeal the trial before Zasa slept most of that day, needing to recover greatly from both the physical and mental exhaustion. He was still a little shaken, and his body was still a little sore, but he was a man of his word, and was going to allow the priest one more shot at trying to convince him otherwise. Walking up to the temple Zasa stood there, outside the building for moment, collecting himself. Do I rely have it in me to forgive that ilk of monsters? Pfft, its an easier said than done type of task. He said to himself, taking a breath before walking into the place of worship. He didnt see the priest at first, or anyone for that matter, chalking it up to the time of day and figuring it to be too early for devotees to come and worship their god. Zasa couldnt wrap his head around why they came, but it wasnt his place to know. The people obviously found some form of answer from their practices and Zasa was in no position to judge them on it. As he ventured into the temple more he couldnt help notice how different the place was when not flowing with worshipers and clerics of the faith around. Not seeing the man, Zasa found the spot he came to the first time he visited the temple and sat there, hoping the priest would show. He was ever curious as to what this holy man had in store for him.

word count: 258
Finn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

In the silence of the halls, every step resonated of the walls of stone like beats of a drum played gently. Finn was standing by the white oak tree, admiring its height and majesty. Few times he wondered how did the builders manage to put this structure around this impressive piece of nature without harming the tree but also without making the construction itself look out of place. In a way, it brought back memories of Desnind he had, the time he spent there, the friendship he’s made. For many times now, Finn thought of Ti and that he should reach out to the man. He just had to find the time to write a letter.
Hence, in his admiration, hearing the footsteps filling the hall, Finn allowed the visitor a time to themselves much as he was having a few moments to himself. It wouldn't go without saying that he has been reminiscing upon words he heard earlier that season as well, realizing that he’s committed to something he was hoping to correct. Alas, with a conscious effort he would heed the words of non-interference, knowing that change to his core would come in time.
So only after a moment Finn walked out from behind the tree to find out that the newcomer was indeed the man he had set the meeting with. A kindred spirit in the early morning which was always good to see.
With a soft smile on his face, the priest made his way towards the blonde.
“Good morning. I see you might be a bit of an early bird as well.” Finn said noticing however that perhaps something was not quite right with the man. Hints of tiredness lingered in the subtle shifts of the expression even the way the man held himself was different to the first trial they met. Finn wondered why but it was not his place to question or push for answers.
“I hope you’re well?” He asked nonetheless as a part of common conversation making, keeping his concerns out of his voice to remain non-invasive but giving the man a chance to share shall he choose to do so.
word count: 366
Favourite quote:
They do not yet understand the purpose of forgiveness. It is not to spare wrongdoers a punishment they deserve. It is to spare the injured ones the ongoing pain they do not.

~ Ymiden
Zasalamir
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Saun 3, Arc 718

As he waited he shifted to lean against the wall, humming, a sweet soft tune. Before he knew it it was a full on song. "Everyone has tears in their heart, seeking that lost day, rain on a darkened window - I want to fly over and beyond the sparkling city. Angel heart, so many hurt, kiss me sunlight, fly to dark, set soul free, hold me moonlight, until my rumbled hands lead to the end of night, find me in your eyes." He sang, just loud enough for anyone within earshot to hear. Though his melodic voice would be interrupted as his familiar noted someone was on the approach, causing the blonde to sit up straight, trying his best to hide his apparent fatigue. When seeing the priest he smiled, nodding to the man as a sign of acknowledgement. "I'm well for the most part, just a little sore is all. Nothing a warm bath and rest can fix. I hope you are well this morning as well. Even more so I'm curious as to what you have in store for today." He noted, standing as to bow to the Priest. "I never caught your name by the way, as I've unfortunately refer to you as the "Handsome Priest", care to share?" He inquired, not remember if either of them introduced themselves during their first meeting. Zasa would feel odd not being able to call the man by his name. Knowing the man's name would make things better, and allow Zasa to feel at ease around him, as of now the man feeling more like a stranger.

word count: 275
Finn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

What an interesting tune and words, Finn thought in retrospective, looking at the blonde as he spoke. He wondered if it was an original strung on the spot by a man who would appear to have more talents than simply the gift of empathy. However, that would be a question for later. One that might give him more insights as he explored this man’s suffering and tried to serve as a guide. But right there and then, yes, they both had some manners to catch up on.
“I am well myself. Hoping that the Ymiden heat is not going to scorch the city like it has been for the past trials.” Shrugging then, they both knew that probably was not going to happen. Certain ‘prayers’ just were not meant to be answered sometimes.
“And yes! You’re right, we haven’t. Apologies for that.” With a guilty smile then, he placed a hand on his chest and imitated the bow of the head that Zasa showed earlier as he introduced himself at last: “Finn Ashbroken. It's a pleasure to meet you. What’s your name?”
Genuine interest coloured his hues with twinkling curiosity as he would, at last, be able to put a name to a face, a name to a suffering soul. The apologetic smile transformed into a soft one that settled on his face, radiating much like the gentle sunrise already completed outside where the fiery globe would keep on rising above Idalos, beating down on its lands.
word count: 252
Favourite quote:

~ Ymiden
Zasalamir
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Shouldering the Consequences

☯ Saun 3, Arc 718 ☯

"Finn Ashbroken, I see." Quite the name for such an interesting character. Beginning to walk down the hall, Zasa combed his hand through his mane "My name is Zasalamir Escolothe' by the way, and its a honor to meet you Sir Ashbroken. So Im curious as to what you have in store for me. I must say i find this place quite out of my element." He explained, an uncomfortable smile painting his face as he wracked his brain around what could be possibly be done to convince him otherwise. Zasa was more so concerned with a question that was whispering in the back of his mind from the first time he met Finn. "Was I truly ready to let go of this anger, this thirst for vengeance?" He realized in that moment that nothing else was driving him to live. What purpose did he have to live if not for seeking the downfall of his father? It never occured to the blonde just how influential his father was in his life, so much so his anger boiled. Mäẹlẹwänọ sensed it, nudging Zasa's leg with his head and looking up to his bonded, wanting to ease his rage.His familiar was effective, reminding the half-sev'ryn there was more to him than his rage. Fighting his own frustrations he tried his best to focus on Finn and what had brought him back to a place he never would set foot in. "Im not usually accustomed to being in a place of worship like this, so forgive me if i dont know the proper temple etiquette" He said with an awkward chuckle☯

word count: 280
Finn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

As they walked down the hall, Finn looked around at the walls he knew with such intimate familiarity already. To him it was a home but he understood that it might not be so for everyone. Yet again, for someone to arrive here who wasn't often found in temples and shrines, perhaps there was a strong motivator. The push of leap of hope was observed by Finn only with a subtle smile directed nowhere and at no one. A simple reflection of thoughts unspoken. The leap that he would give in to so easily in the past was now just an idea that emerged in his consciousness only to settle back down into the waters of possibilities.
"There is no etiquette in temples." The priest pointed out. "Everyone comes and worships the way that is right for themselves. For some it may be silence, for others it maybe be a prayer sung. So don't feel constrained by ideas that you have to be a certain way. Be the way you are and be sure that no one will look at you oddly." Finn commented stepping into the rising heat of the day, his priest robes surely going to put him through hell.
Yes he owed the blonde a response to his earlier question, but yet Finn chose silence for a moment. He was wondering whether to leave it as a twisted surprise and have it blow in his face upon the grand revelation, or say it now and risk failure right away. Well, it probably did not matter when the blow would come, if it would come and that alone formed his decision.
"As for where we're going, you might notice it as we near the place. For now, I think I'd like to just talk. Not even about what we're going to do, or why you've come to the temple in the first place." No, he wanted to let go of that for now. He wanted to get to know the man past his worries and suffering. Turning his gaze from ahead to settle it on Zasa, his grey hues were not cold, but instead they reflected the warmth of the suns above. Something that was natural for the priest. Something that would not have been there a season ago.
"So, tell me Zasalamir, how are you doing with your Xanthea?" A random question accompanied with a mischievous grin one could say. But given Zasa was part Sev'ryn...
"Because, I not pratice in while." He then spoke in the tongue of the free people of Desnind, knowing the mistakes he made.
word count: 439
Favourite quote:

~ Ymiden
Zasalamir
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

☯ Saun 3, Arc 718 ☯

"Miu srey ïtärä ies nominee, sev've been speaking èrè tsäkär sev sngä’ï ceharav, ayipada srä murädï a'ouk iranṣẹ kọv etzos inan miu yeztlik'o' {My native tongue is fine, I've been speaking it since I was born, even more so after living in etzos with my father}" He spoke eloquently looking at his familiar before looking back at Finn. "Sev ïstïnbädï ke’u dabble kọv eiek ipanukan azuk tọjẹ,or did ke’u butcher ọsïsẹ ïyäkän bu'eavet ke’u ekunwo àjàkọ kurolai sọ anou ipanukan tẹẹrẹ? {I see you dabble in our language as well,or did you butcher that sentence because you lack proper knowledge of the language itself?}" He inquired as they walked. It was nice knowing that this man at least had some knowledge of the Sev'ryn people, even if his Xanthea was far more broken than a glass mirror could ever be. Finn was turning out to be full of little surprises and Zasa couldnt help but wonder what would come next with him. As such he decided to ask his own questions. "So tell me Sir Ashbroken, why the priesthood? Im sure you have other talents besides spending you days in a temple to a being that may not even know you exist, let alone any one who worships them. I find the belief in the Immortals to be damaging to the growth of those who call this world of ours home." In truth Zasa was never a beleiver in the Immortals, he saw no benefit in all that wasted energy.☯

Last edited by Zasalamir on Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 279
Finn
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Listening was always easier for Finn. Speaking a different language where words did not come so easy and where expressing ideas was sometimes more frustrating that the silly mistakes made, it was a challenge. But still, he gave Zasa a wide smile. His expression was clear that he understood what was spoken.
“I learnt many arcs with Sev’ryn friend good. Not seen him long time now. But one day…” His hand waved in the air. He was sure that Ti’niva was somewhere in the world, probably exploring, learning and growing. It was still incredible to think that he used to know the man when he was just a boy and how much that boy taught him. Lessons that Finn carried with himself ever since.
“But yes, I not know well. More practice need.” Shrugging, he then made a suggestion that came natural, but mainly showed a vulnerability in a simple fact that Finn did not and could not know everything but was willing to admit it. “Maybe you could help me out.” An offer and an invitation entirely up for taking or rejecting. Finn would be fine with either.
Yet first, Zasa's next words were met with neutral acceptance. Where his words may have been direct and hurtful if not borderline disrespectful, it was against Finn’s nature to judge, let alone take offence so easily.
“But I know Zasalamir. I've met him myself on a few occasions. And trust me, Ymiden has left much more with me than mere words and momentary attention.” Finn admitted but divulged no more. There was no need.
“But that aside. It was either discipline and faith or I would have spiralled into madness. You see..." He started with expression growing more sombre, the smile disappearing,. The ghosts of his past came back but not to haunt him anymore, but lay in his mind as a reminder. “At twenty six arcs, I freed myself from my master. I was no longer a slave. But the price I paid...the price other paid for my freedom was more than I could bear. I suddenly had nothing to fill in the hole of over a decade of servitude and so I fled to Rharne, became a beggar. It was there my mentor, Telar, found me. He was a travelling monk and took me under his wing. He began schooling me in religion and faith without pushing it upon my own beliefs. But since there were none..." With a shrug that sentence did not need completion. If anything, the story itself was not over.
"I was in Desnind then, actually. In the beautiful temple that you have there, screaming my head off in frustration, desperation and fear. But also anger, because the relief I thought I'd find in religion, I could not achieve. I did not share that with my mentor. Did not want to let him down. It was then, on the brink of breaking that I met Ymiden for the first time. At that moment, I saw I could not fight alone and I certainly could not survive alone either if I were to keep my mind, and myself intact. I was waging a war against myself and I was losing. I probably would have lost that day.” Taking a moment of silence, he led their way through the city, his feet knowing where to go.
Then suddenly his hands lifted slightly with palms facing upwards as if to say ‘here I am in my truth’. "I'd say that's what swayed me towards this profession. No, not the meeting with the Immortal, but the insight I received as a result. The fact that I had to open myself to others to help me in order to help myself."
word count: 630
Favourite quote:

~ Ymiden
Zasalamir
Character Sheet

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

☯ Saun 3, Arc 718 ☯

"I must be a cynic then, I have yet to see that type of kindness in my life, if not for a brief moment." He spoke, almost ashamed at such a revelation. "I'm a man of skepticism, wanting to see it for myself rather hear from word of mouth, n offense of course." He admitted, not wanting to look Finn in the face. He was truly starting to regret coming, feeling worse about himself and his outlook on life compared to what Finn had gone through. "You say that you were almost pushed to madness, what do you think would have happened if you had truly broken? In my opinion I think such moments define us as mortal beings. Reaching a point where we either overcome ourselves, or crumble into oblivion. I've surely had my moment when I was close to breaking, suicide being something I readily considered, but I never had the heart to follow through with it." The blonde confessed, wiping a rogue tear cascading from his face. "Sorry I dont mean to bring the mood of this beautiful morning down. If I may inquire from someone who has met a so called immortal, what was he like, Ymiden?" His curiousity now taking hold and getting the better of him. He wanted to understand the fascination, damn near longing people had for these beings, and Finn was the perfect person to ask, meeting one and all. It would be interesting to hear a first hand account from the man, if anything else definitely a learning experience. ☯

word count: 264
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western Heights”