• Graded • Lost at Sea

Navyri meets Delroth after being kidnapped by her father.

The Orm'del Sea is an ocean that separates Eastern and Western Idalos. It is said to have many horrors awaiting those that wish to travel through its waters.

Moderators: Maltruism, Oracle

Navyri
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Thief
Renown: +278
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7
Medal count: 9

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Lost at Sea

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Common Rakahi Gravokian
"A greedy father has thieves for children."

• 16th of Saun 679

“A good night for sailing... Don't you think, Navyri?”

At the sound of her name, the Naerrik glanced up from her mirror, but not before a moment of hesitation, her eyes lingering at the reflection that stared back at her. She turned her face, seeing how the moonlight kissed her cheekbones and then did her best to answer in the Rakahi – the language her father preferred, “Yes?” She was unsure, uninterested and she glanced at the sky, watching how the moon shifted and the clouds prepared to create an overcast. She was impatient, and she stood quickly, staring into the space, “Do you think I'll change tonight, father?”

With her back to Gaius, she didn't see how he frowned, and how he instead steered the vessel to avoid speaking, not wanting to look at the fresh mutilations upon his daughter's skin. Ignorant to his distaste, she turned, flaunting the tattoos that had finally healed, both on her back and leg. How much more would they mar her? When would the Naerrik be satisfied? Not a stranger to ink, Gaius would have been interested had they had different meaning – not a symbol of a race that represented deception and heartbreak. Those women wanted to take her from him... Raise her as their own... Whisper their lies into Navyri's ear...

“No,” he whispered. His daughter was different. Would be different...

“Me neither,” she said with a rueful smile, setting her mirror down and meandering to the side of the ship. She placed both hands on the wooden railing and leaned over, staring into the dark waters. They were so far from the city of Augiery, it would have been complete darkness had it not been for her father's lanterns and the reflections of the moonlight on the water.

The land was barely a line on the horizon, and then it began to disappear, the sails carrying them quickly away. They hardly went this fast, and Navyri was enjoying it, moving to the front of the deck and stretching her arms wide, smelling the seas salt and fresh air, “We should bring mother next time.”

“Navyri...” Gaius turned the wheel, his tone changing as he set the course and stepped away momentarily. It looked like he had something he wanted to say, but thought better of it, “Why don't you try to point out some constellations for me, like when you were a little girl?”

Navyri gave a strange smile, finding the topic change a bit... sudden, but shrugged and bounded towards the center of the small vessel, settling down upon the deck and laying down to stare at the stars. So far from the city, everything was so dark, and the stars burned with stunning brilliance. She felt so small in these moments and hummed a small tune as her blue eyes searched. “That one, I think” she lifted a finger, finding the collection of dots and pointed towards them, “The Thief, isn't it?”

Gaius looked upwards, “Very good. Look there. You see it? The stars can guide you anywhere, and those three lined up, with the cluster – The Swordsman. The tip of the blade is said to point to the city of Korlasir, where Raskalarn resides.”

Navyri made a face, “Who?”

“Immortal of Conquest and Devastation. Don't make that face, Navyri. You follow Audrae, but there are immortals that you should respect if nothing else.”

(But why?) she almost asked, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. Young and foolish, she settled back into her spot, “Who do you follow, Father?”

The easy conversation seemed a relief to Gaius, who's chest puffed out slightly as he checked some of the knots holding the sails in place, “U'frek is the immortal who created the Biqaj, but I also follow Delroth. He is the immortal of wind, and a sailor is nothing without a breeze beneath his sails.”

Navyri said nothing, thinking back to Audrae. She would be nothing without darkness and shadows, for that was all she was, no matter the skin she currently wore. The Naer began studying her hands, the lines and curve of her fingertips in the dim light of the lanterns. She stretched out upon the deck, the warm, sea salt breeze soothing her and washing over her skin, “Do you miss the open water?” Before she was born, Gaius had traveled all over the world, and it was there he had met her mother.

“...Yes.” Her father's answer was truthful, and his changing eyes turned to her, seeing how she seemed so carefree away from the brutal practices of her mother and kin. The gentle rise and fall of the boat and the lapping of water filled the silence between them, pulling the Naerrik into a peaceful slumber with the soft whisper of her father lost in the space between her body and Emea, ”You'll see.”
Last edited by Navyri on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 6 times in total. word count: 858
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Lost at Sea

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm

Common Rakahi Gravokian

• Sunlight woke her - not the gentle rays of early sunrise, but the angry beams of midday Saun. She first felt the heat of her skin and the sticky sweat beginning to pool between the small valley of her breasts and trail down her naval. The Naerrik winced, rolling over on the tight muscles that screamed for blood flow, "Father?"

Navyri brushed the mess of dark hair from her face, smacking her lips together and tasting the strange fuzz of sour breath. It seemed so strange to wake up to... bright light, so much so that if there was a place for her shadow essence to shrink to, it would have. Instead, she simply felt sore and grumpy, finding her father perched on the end side of the sloop, a rod in one hand and a hand-rolled cigarette between his teeth, "Good morning, minnow. I was just about to wake you so you wouldn't burn. Looks like you got some color there." He barely glanced over his shoulder at her, nodding in her direction and gave an experimental tug on his rod, "You hungry?"

The girl had in fact gotten some color, and she could feel the tight skin across her shoulders and cheeks. Her energy felt sapped, despite her recent rest, and she was sure the bridge of her nose would peel soon. The Naerrik cursed under her breath, snapping at the question, "No. I'm not." She rushed to the cabin and began yanking open drawstring bags in search of any ointment that might prevent further sun damage, "What time is it?"

It was when Gaius hesitated to answer that Navyri's eyes narrowed, and she closed in, her fingers stopping in their hunt, "Where's the shore?" Her blue orbs scanned fervently, looking into the distance, searching... searching for a home she would not see for years to come, "Father?"

"Navyri, that place... That place was wrong."

That place.

"Augiery? That place was my home. Our ho-"

"No," a great passion seized Gaius then, and he threw his legs back on deck, casting his rod aside and pointing into the distance, "That pit is not my home, Navyri. It was never meant to be our home. Biqaj-" his eyes softened momentarily and he tried to reach for his daughter, "Biqaj aren't meant to stay in one place. We need to explore. To divagate.... To-"

"I'm not Biqaj." Navyri's words came out cruel, strong. What madness was her father speaking? Her eyes were bright but did not change, her ears were not pointed, and her blood was black, not silver. She retreated from his extended hand, crossing her arms and trying to make sense of all the confusion muddling the thoughts in her head, "We need to go back."

(Before mother realizes what you've done....)

When they returned, would she tell the other women? What would they do to him? Navyri's bright eyes were clouded with emotion, fearful of how he would be treated. They would enslave him, punish him...? After all, what he was doing was wrong...

(Right?)

Without knowing exactly what she was doing, she suspected that whatever direction Augiery was in, they were going the opposite. Marching right up to the steering wheel, she gripped it and tried to give it a nice turn, watching the starboard point of the sloop slowly begin to curve and move. Immediately she felt Gaius' hand wrapping around her shoulder and yanking her away. Navyri stumbled, and shot a glare in her father's direction, yelling, "Take me back! I want to go back!" She tried to shove him back, but he grabbed her wrists. An unsettling feeling of panic began to creep along her spine, "Let go!"

"Stop it, Navyri! Those women are evil. They torture babies with needles. They want to keep hurting you! They threaten to kill if you stray from their teachings. I thought your mother was different, but-"

The young Naerrik stopped listening. The man before her, the man who had wiped away her tears and told her bedtime stories, who took her fishing and held her hand as they walked the beach... he was kidnapping her. Stealing her.

Away... Away from her people. Her home. (Home. Home. Home. Home.) The word repeated like a war drum, sounding the exact moment in her life where everything changed. She needed to run. Escape.

Heart picking up in speed, she darted for the sails, only to be jerked back by her frantic father. Madness had begun to settle into his eyes, and he yelled his reasoning at her, all while trying to stop her from racing around. She twisted in his grip, feeling his thumbs dig into her arms, fighting harder every time he told her to stop. She growled, an animalistic sound, and as soon as it left her mouth, a harsh slap resonated against her cheek, and she blinked, stunned.

He had never hit her.

"It's too late! We can't go back!"

(Liar.)

Navyri had been hit before - more times than she could count. But his blow had been different. It had not been for discipline or training. She could argue those still held love. This was... selfish. Blind fear and fury tore at her, and logic was lost. She gave a great roar, using all her might to shove him backward, where he faltered against the railing and threatened to fall. In an instant, her shadow essence shot outward, thinking only of her need to escape and overwhelmed the man.

Gaius Vy'pyjr knew nothing but darkness in his last moments, every one of his senses being blinded as he frantically gripped for a railing and missed - his body tumbling overboard and into the sea he had loved so much. Navyri stumbled away, the ship still sailing and the sound of a great splash echoing in her ears.

The sensation was so strange, alien. Navyri felt like a husk, clutching her heart and shaking, wide-eyed and scared. Instinct told her to move, quickly, She needed to run. But where? The Naerrik scrambled to the far side of the ship, gasping with every movement, still feeling as if she had lost herself.

There was no more splashing, only the occasional whoosh of misplaced water and she huddled as far as she could from where her father had fallen, a few tears building up in her eyes. Her essence called, and it was as if she were holding a weight inside her, her body and mind feeling it like a physical force that she had to keep from falling. "F-father?" Her voice was foreign, the life drained and gone. Her personality - her soul - was missing. She crept towards the railing, looking over at the shimmery waters below. She saw nothing, heard nothing, and then....

The weight inside her dropped, and a shadow darted from the depths and slithered across the surface of the water, leaping from the waves, spindly arms and claws stretching out to embrace her...

Navyri gasped loudly as her essence was reunited with her body, and fell to the deck, each gulp of breath draining her life force. She shivered openly now, crawling to the shade of the cabin. Her arms shook as she reached up, fumbling with the handle, and then she pulled herself inside. Solidarity.

Away from the water and into the darkness where she belonged, Navyri collapsed in a fit of tears and panic, dark hair getting matted by the droplets the streamed down her high cheeks. She didn't know how long she cried, unconcerned with time or navigation. The Naer thought only of what she had done and wanted nothing more than to be closed off and far away. When sleep took her this time, she did not rest peacefully but tossed and turned, lost in a void of confusion and fear.
Last edited by Navyri on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 8 times in total. word count: 1347
"At last. It has been too long since I have walked the face of this world. Too long have I been locked there, awaiting my champion to release me. My champion... This is you, daughter of Audrae. You have, whether knowingly or not, released me from my self imprisonment, and are here to fulfill the destiny I have seen written in the tapestry of nature. You, daughter of Audrae's daughter, will be my foothold in this world." - Belaera to The Nightingale, after the 600 arc imprisonment
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Lost at Sea

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 pm

Common Rakahi Gravokian

• She awoke with stars in the sky and no idea where she was. The days that followed were no different, each break she tried to regain her strength with no avail. Without her father to fish, her attempts were futile and her nets came up empty. She did not know how to navigate the stars properly, although she tried, referencing an old map she found stashed away in the cabin. The problem was that she couldn't find out her current location, let alone dictate where to go next. Even the sails seemed against her, her knots coming loose or the currents fighting her path.

One the second trial, she found a compass, and tried to follow it south, knowing not where Augiery lie, but only that it was in that general direction. She knew it was a foolish attempt, but it was the best chance she had. It only took her half the trial to realize she had been following the wrong arrow. She cursed herself and was ready to curse U'frek himself when she thought of Gaius and quieted. Remembering Audrae, she knew only a glimpse of what powers immortals had... It was best not to challenge them. With quiet rage, she turned the sloop around and tried again.

With the limited food, Navyri quickly learned her limits. She scrounged the whole ship for food and water, identifying the amount and separating them into smaller portions of dried meat and valuable water. With it being Saun, Navyri was constantly thirsty but dared not to drink more than she should. Sweat was now a common decoration to her skin, and she stared hatefully at the sea - so full of life, and yet it denied her.

More trials passed, and she learned that a good sailor couldn't rest. She always monitored the direction the sloop traveled, adjusted the steering wheel and slumped against it, barely conscious. The sun had ravaged her smooth skin, burning it to a violent red. Having taken one of her father's spare shirts, she wrapped it around her head to protect her face and hated herself when she whimpered. When she moved, she caught the smell of him and closed her eyes. Aches tore through her stomach, and she felt feverish and nauseous. She needed to get to land. Get off this boat. She would survive, and then she would hate her father... Then she could mourn him.

She said a silent prayer to Audrae, and struggled on, with nothing but loneliness and the waves to keep her company.
Last edited by Navyri on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 458
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Lost at Sea

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Common Rakahi Gravokian
  • Navyri lay collapsed in the doorway of the cabin, unable to stay standing for long. The food had run out and she was barely taking a sip of water every break. Her mouth was dry and her lips had chapped. Everything hurt from the fire on her skin, and her lungs wheezed softly. She was going to die.

This was to be her end.

During her childhood, she had imagined she would die brilliantly fighting a terrible monster or protecting her city. She was to die in battle for Audrae, but now... now the Immortal turned a blind eye. She prayed to deft ears. Her mutterings faded into the sea.

The damn water. She heard it and the creaking of the tiny boat. Her vision faded in and out, tendrils of black hovering around the corners of her eyes, as Vri no doubt laid in wait. (What... What happens after death?) It had never occurred to her. Being so young, not even fully mature by Naerrik standards, Navyri had never given it any thought. But now?

Tears tried to procure themselves but to no avail. She was dehydrated and tired, eying the last canteen that mocked her. Drink me now, it said, And die? or drink me later and still die? She buried her face against the wood of the deck and pinched her eyes closed, hearing it laugh at her.

Laughing. Laughing... Laughter? The Naerrik lifted her head, wondering if she heard correctly and forced herself to sit up, the sound turning into something entirely different. She craned her neck out of the door and saw shadows dancing upon the sloop's floor, and she glimpsed skyward. Beautiful seagulls, plump and white yipped high above, and her eyes followed them hungrily.

An idea formed in the young Naerrik's mind. She crawled back into the cabin, ripping it to shreds. She needed food. Just a scratch. Renewed with the thought of a new meal, she found the last scrap of crumbs she had left - a few stale crackers that had somehow fallen under the hammock. She imagined her father eating, maybe reading a book and dropping the morsels. She greedily collected the bits and grabbed the fishing net that had been hung uselessly on the wall.

"Please," she whispered.

Navyri laced her fingers with the netting and tossed the crackers upon the deck, lying in wait. She leaned forward, perching herself on the balls of her feet and crouched down. The birds continued to circle and caw, and then... the cracker caught the eye of one, who dove to the deck and reached for it with its sharp beak.

Navyri pounced.

In a flurry of netting, she threw it, watching it pin the avian and heard its cries. She snatched at the twine, amid the rush of beating wings and the beak that pecked ruthlessly at her hand. It got her twice, cutting her palm before she shot out and gripped its mouth in her hand, holding it closed and reaching out to snap its neck. Her blood was smeared across the bridge of its face.

She saw her wild reflection in its eyes, the shape of her lips - her father's mouth - and scowled. Hesitating, she bowed her head, hating that he had been the one to do this to her, and her mother, immortal or otherwise had not saved her. She had no choice....

Or did she?

(A sailor is nothing without a breeze beneath his sails.)

"Delroth," she commanded before she even realized she was speaking. Her voice was hoarse, dying, "Find Delroth, the master of Birds and Wind. Tell him... Tell him Navyri Vy'pyjr needs him. He's the only one left who can save me. He..." Navyri hated herself and remembered what Augiery did to other who sought favor outside of Audrae, "He is the only one worth asking now... Please."

With a great flourish, Navyri pulled the net away and the bird wasted no time in flying off with a loud screeching that lingered in her mind long after it disappeared into the sky. Navyri crawled back into the shadows, waiting for certain death until the blackness of her vision engulfed her, not feeling the soft winds that began to billow against her sails.
word count: 744
Navyri
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Lost at Sea

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Common Rakahi Gravokian
  • A soft breeze kissed her awake and she groaned painfully. Her surroundings came into focus and she noticed the shadow that played out on the floor before her. Had her essence left her once more? Sitting up, she followed it and her blue eyes rested upon a man casually leaning against the railing. At first, she thought it was her father returned from the dead, but when he turned to her, those thoughts were cast aside.

Tall and blonde, he gave a dismissive glance in her direction, his full lips thinning in disapproval. "Well?" His voice was deep and Navyri was mesmerized by his beauty. She blinked.

"Are you real?" Her voice was barely a whisper, but he seemed to hear it clearly, his own eyes lighting up for a brief moment. Was this really the Delroth that Gaius had followed?

He laughed, smiling proudly. While his features were soft, not at all sharp like she had imagined, he was happy to answer, "I am." He lifted his arms slightly, as if showing off his best features and cocked his head and crossed his arms, "You wanted to make a deal?"

(A deal?) Navyri's brows furrowed and then she realized what he meant. (Of course,) she inwardly scolded herself. (An immortal didn't go out of their way for free.) Especially, not one she hadn't sought out until recently. It was a miracle he had heard her pleading.

What was she to ask for? She looked up, "Can you save me? Take me to land?"

"That depends entirely on you," he continued to eye her up and down, but the look wasn't lecherous. Navyri was a barely more than a child and on death's door. She looked at her worst. Instead, his eyes searched for something, a trinket or valuable, "What's your offer?"

"W-What do you want?"

"What do you have?"

What did she have?

"Uh-" She rose as fast as she could to her feet, stumbling and smacking into the door. She clutched the doorframe and continued to rummage through her father's belongings. She found only a bag of gold. Nothing else was of any value, "This?" She turned and jumped back, finding him right at her shoulder, inspecting the room.

Delroth's eyes narrowed at her suggestion and he scoffed, offended by such an offering. He took the gold in his hand, weighing it and then shook his head. "You waste my time. No deal."

Navyri blinked and he was gone. So was the money.

"No! Wait! Please!" She tried to find something, anything worth value. If she was in Augiery, maybe she could-

The memory of Augiery brought up the idea of value. So many slaves. She had no money or items of interest, but she still had her life. That had been her most valuable, the thing she had clung on to the most.

"My life! My-my loyalty." She searched frantically around the ship, but any hint of the Immortal was already beginning to fade, "I'm not human. I'm-I'm a shadow! A Naerikk."

"Now that's interesting." Delroth stepped out of nowhere, appearing within arms reach, "Keep talking." His gaze reminded her of a vulture, deciding whether or not she was dead enough to devour. Even with his looks, it was unsettling. Greedy.

Navyri knew this was her last chance. Her only hope. She bit her lip, and finished her proposition, "Whatever you want. I can get it." she held her arms out, urging him to remain in place, "I can go where others can't. I-I-I can sneak. I can steal. Tell me what you want and it's yours."

Delroth tapped his chin thoughtfully, considering the proposition carefully, "What of Audrae?"

At the sound of her Immortal's name, she looked down, hugging her arms to her chest. She was betraying the mother of Naerikk, "She didn't answer my prayers... She's not here... You are."

"I am, aren't I?" he smiled to himself, and then began to toss the coin purse he had taken from her between each of his hands, "This is what I will do." The steady sounds of coins jostling played while he spoke, "I will save you and you will do my bidding, fetching me whatever I want, when I want, until your debt is paid. How much do you value your life?" The vulture look returned, and before Navyri could decide whether or not he expected an answer, the money disappeared and Delroth shot out and grabbed her wrists.

Fear crept in her voice, "What do you want?"

"You'll see."

A great gust of wind blew into her sails, jerking the sloop and sending it flying across the waters and dictating its course. Her hair and the shirt covering her face were blown back and she was knocked onto her back. Delroth was gone once more, and when she sat up, a blessing of swaying feathers lined the length of her arms.

Navyri had been claimed.
Last edited by Navyri on Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 877
Djinn
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Profession: Genie
Renown: 0
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 16

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Lost at Sea

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Navyri

Points Gained: 10

Knowledge
  • Gaius: Your Father
    Gaius: Knows constellations
    Navigation: Finding your way with the stars
    Constellation: The Swordsman points to Korsalir
    U'frek: Creator of the Biqaj
    Delroth: Birds, Wind, Greed, Vanity
    Gaius: Hates Augiery
    Gaius: Stole you from your home
    Gaius: You killed him.
    Unarmed Combat: Gift of Shadows
    Endurance: Taking a hit
    Sailing: Constant work
    Logistics: Rationing food and drink
    Endurance: Functioning with constant hunger, thirst and exhaustion
    Delroth: Doesn't do anything for free
    Delroth: Greedy
    Delroth: You owe him a favour

Comments: First off, you know how much I loved this blessing story. You captured the essence of Delroth phenomenally. As stated in your PSF request, you've gained the first three abilities of Tarouz. Additionally, you owe Delroth a huge favor sometime in the future. I'll be happy to head that up for you when the time comes.

Really great blessing story.
[/align]
word count: 159

Return to “Orm'del Sea”