• Graded • Hook, Line, and Singin'

The Orm'del Sea is an ocean that separates Eastern and Western Idalos. It is said to have many horrors awaiting those that wish to travel through its waters.

Moderator: Maltruism

Freya DuCarinos
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Drug Trafficker
Renown: +65
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:02 am

Common Rakahi Pailtic Hussian
47th of Vhalar, Arc 716

It was the eighth break of the morning when Freya found herself leaning against the rail of the ship, having set the jib and main topsail to point the boat on wind. She'd been relearning the different kind of sails and when to use them from Caed, since Freya hadn't set foot on a ship in about three arcs. Regardless, it didn't take long for her to catch on again and the muscles she'd used when sailing around with Kian were coming back with a pleasant sting. The biqaj was building a bit of strength back into her arms from pulling the ropes constantly.
Today, however, Caed assisted her with putting up the sails and directing the ship. Haraji was also on deck, performing daily maintenance and chores. So that left Freya was some time on her hands but she didn't want to go back to her quarters to read or sleep. So instead, she took up the fishing rod the crew had brought, along with thick threading and a large hook since they were sailing through the open ocean. One could never be certain what they might catch.
The rod itself was sturdy as was the thread, a kind of thin hemp that was hard to break unless cut with a blade. Freya took an open eyed hook and threaded the line into it, beginning to tie a slim beauty knot. Her adoptive clan had taught her something about fishing, this knot being one of the most successfully used when catching game on the sea. It took her several attempts before she was able to fashion the hook to the line correctly and pulled out strips of raw fish from last night's dinner to use as lure.
Casting the line weightless, Freya leaned against the rail again and waited. The wind blew her hair back gently as her golden eyes looked out onto the ocean, her thoughts muddled with things she'd rather not think about. Valkan had been on her mind and whilst traveling, she was starting to grow an attachment she was afraid the rest of the crew might see.
For this, she started avoiding him, knowing that such affections might lose her status on the ship and Freya didn't know most of these people as well as she would have liked. But that didn't stop her from thinking about him. He'd been there for her and, like it or not, he promised he'd continue to be there. It wasn't something the woman kept to him. Freya was half expecting him to depart from her after their journey concluded. That didn't stop her from daydreaming about him and she often wondered what it would be like to touch him or sleep next to him.
How odd of her to think such things. She wasn't the settling type...
A tug on the line pumped anticipation in her veins as her grip on the rod tightened and she gave it a small yank. The line pulled sharply, almost losing the rod but Freya held fast and tugged with everything she had. Suddenly, it went slack and as she brought the line back, she noticed the fish knot had been undone and the hook lost. The biqaj cursed.
Fishing out another hook, Freya weaved it onto the line again, pierced lure onto it, then threw it back out and waited.
She was sure a break had passed before the woman decided to entertain herself with something other than her thoughts. Taking a breath, Freya sang lightly.
“I'll swim and sail on savage seas
With ne'er a fear of drowning
And gladly ride the waves of life...”
Her voice dipped pleasantly, “If you would marry me..”
“No scorching sun nor freezing cold
Will stop me on my journey.
If you will promise me your heart
And love me for eternity”
Freya took another lung full of air, her diaphram expanding to sing out, until the strum of a guitar sounded on deck and she quickly jerked her head to the side. Haraji sat on the stairs leading up to where the wheel of the ship was, tuning the instrument he must have fetched from below deck.
“What are you doing?” Freya blushed.
“Having a bit of fun.” He responded, still tuning the strings.
“What about the ship?”
“What about it? Everything has been dealt with.” He strummed. “Come now.”
Freya smiled and shook her head, a look in her eye that wanted to argue but Haraji just strummed again. With a chuckle, she sang to him before turning back to the waves.
“My dearest one, my darling dear
Your mighty words astound me
But I've no need for mighty deeds
When I feel your arms around me
But I would bring you rings of gold
I'd even sing you poetry.
And I would keep you from all harm
If you would stay beside me.
I have no use for rings of gold
I care not for your poetry
I only want your hand to hold
I only want you near me.”
The pace of the song sped up causing Freya to turn and look at the man. He held a goofy smile to his lips that made her grin wider.
“To love and kiss to sweetly hold
For the dancing and the dreaming
Through all life's sorrows and delights
I'll keep your laugh inside me
I'll swim and sail a savage seas
With never a fear of drowning
I'd gladly ride the waves so white
If you will marry me!“
“I accept.” Haraji smirked, finishing with a flourished strum that caused Freya to throw her head back and laugh. Just then, a tug on the rod caused her to falter and almost lose the thing over the rail as it yanked against her palms.
She gasped, “I've got something!”
Pulling hard on the line, Freya let it go enough for whatever was on the end of it to swim away before she pulled again. That was part of fishing, especially with a rod off a boat: get the fish tired to make it an easier catch. That is, if the line held up.
The biqaj tugged on the line again, reeling in the fish as it fought against her. After several minutes of struggle, the woman finally hoisted the fish up into the boat with a victory cry. Freya caught a medium sized cod from the waters of the Orm'del sea and that night, she had no problem rubbing it in her crew members faces.
Of course, she only caught the one that day as everything else kept snapping the line.
Wendell
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:42 am

Freya

Knowledge:
Seafaring: Names and uses of sails on a schooner
Strength: Pulling weighted rope
Fishing: Rod, casting
Fishing: Rod, set up
Fishing: Rod, lures
Fishing: Rod, reeling
Fieldcraft: Slim beauty knot
Singing: Expanding diaphragm for more power

Loot: 1 fish
Injuries: n.a
Fame: +1 good deed (catching dinner for the crew)
Magic: These points cannot be used for magic

Story: 3/5
Collaboration: 0/5
Structure: 5/5

Comment: A lovely story. Had to trim points on wordcount and use of lyrics that aren't yours, but otherwise a very enjoyable read. You have a great way of progressing a story and not lingering on any point so long that it becomes dull. Great job!

Return to “Orm'del Sea”