Another Day, Another Prae

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderator: Tempest

Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +290
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Milestones

Another Day, Another Prae

Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:31 am

Date: 30th of Ymiden, Arc 719

Weapons: None
Armor: None

Buffs: N/A
Debuffs: N/A

Praetorum knew, as soon as he opened his eyes, that something in him had changed. 

He was wrong, in fact. Multiple things had changed within his soul, muddling the waters somewhat. Fortunately for him, one of them was quite happy to announce itself instead of waiting for him to figure it out. 

<Hello there.> 

Praetorum stilled in his bed, trying to figure out where the words had come from. Was there someone in his home?

<Don't be silly.> The voice said, reverberating in his mind. <Of course I'm in your house. You are.>

"Who..." Prae trailed off, slowly sitting up. It was still dark outside, but there was firelight enough through the windows for Prae to make out the entirety of his small room. No one he could spot.

<Not out there, dummy. Fine, hold on.>

Then there was the vaguest sensation of melting, and a shadow coalesced before Praetorum's eyes, a small, blurry figure with glowing yellow eyes and a wicked looking beak. It blinked at him. 

<Hi. Again.>

"You— what— how—" 

Prae leaped out of his bed in sudden alarm, and felt a whoosh as the wind picked him up and carried him to the ground. Wait... 

Raising one hand, Praetorum conjured a flame in his palm, and felt his use of defiance skim just a little off of his now full ether reserves. "Emea's back!" He gasped, the mysterious creature forgotten. "Gods, it's been— I need to tell Edyn."

<Who's that?>

He looked back at the thing perched unthreateningly on his bed, uncertain what to do. "I'll tell you if you tell me who you are." He told it finally, dismissing the flame and folding his arms across his chest. 

<I'm me. Obviously.>

"That's not much of an answer. What's your name? What are you.?"

<Hmm.> The creature tapped one shadowy claw against its beak. <I'm a Diri, a spirit. I don't think I have a name though. Maybe you could call me... Weakness? No, I don't like that actually. Um....>

"A spirit." Prae frowned softly. He'd fought a few minor spirits before, but those had been mindless things, more or less. This one.... it was at least clever enough to be seriously trying to figure out a name for itself. And all along the same themes, too.

<Exhaustion? Drainage. Hollowing? Consumption. How do you feel about Consumption?>

"I think that's a type of disease." Prae told it. "Why.. are you here? Don't you have... spirit things to do?"

<Aw, not Consumption then. And where would I go? I'm attached to you. Hngggg.... Devour? That's not quite it though.... >

"Why..." Except Praetorum already knew. Or rather, he remembered, all at once. "The trial of weakness..." He had walked into that gemstone, that mountain, to free something. A... a spirit? But how long ago had he had that dream? And why was he only remembering it now? 

<Suck. Suction? Sssss........>

He had.... gone through those trials, become something different. More than he was. 

He did that often, in his dreams. But this time, it seemed something had come out of the dream with him. 

<I've got it!> The creature spun around the air, and then, before Prae could react, coiled itself around his chest, and then melted away. No, melted into him. <Sap! My name is Sap! That's a good name, right? Do you like it? I hope you do, because we're going to be around each other a lot.>

<Because we're bonded now.> Prae realized. <I'd thought I'd been changed, but that was just... dream logic, wasn't it?>

<Yup!> Sap purred in his mind as Praetorum grasped clumsily for the mental connection between them. <But you are changed. After all, we're attached to you now.>

That gave Praetorum pause. <We? What do you mean we?>
word count: 686
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye
  • A firey glow in the back of his mouth

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over each of Prae's wrists
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist
  • His body temperature is uncomfortably high

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
  • The area around him is slightly more static-y than normal
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Re: Another Day, Another Prae

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am

“Well," Marken said, "as far as I can tell, it’s telling the truth." Praetorum knelt before him in a shaded part of the courtyard, as above them, a figure swooped and swirled through the air, joy written through her every movement. 

<Told you.> Sap whispered in his mind, sounding just a little petulant. 

<Yeah, yeah.> Prae replied. <Sorry for doubting you.> 

"I have to say, I’ve heard of dreamwalkers waking with injuries before, but not anything like this." Far from looking concerned though, Marken looked fascinated. "This dream... you say it wasn’t recent?"

"I don’t think so." Prae’s tail tip twitched as he thought hard. "It feels like.... a memory I only uncovered this morning. That's the only way I can think to explain it."

"Hmm. Well, perhaps the dream could only take effect once Emea was restored. Or perhaps the effects were just suppressed. No way to know now." Marken shook his head, lips twitching int a wry smile. "Still. It must have been some dream, to bind both a diri and a spark to you."

<I like this guy.> Sap said. Prae ignored him.

"The question now," Prae said, "is what sort of diri, and what spark?"

"I expect your new companion is the only one who can answer the first part of your question." Marken laughed.

<I definitely can.>

"As for the second..." The man rested his hands on his knees, expression turning serious. "Look at my eyes, Prae. Really, deeply, look."

Praetorum blinked, confused, but did as he was bid, leaning forwards to state into the human’s eyes. They were keen, and darker than most, but aside from that, he couldn’t make out anything unusual about them.

No, that wasn’t quite right...

There were fine lines running through them, Prae realized after some time. He’d thought them shadows, or a trick of the light, but when Marken’s eyes moved, those lines moved with them. The lines were delicate, and followed the curve of his eyeball, almost like... like an apple sliced into cubes, the put together again.

Prae shuddered, and sat back, a shiver of unease running through him.

"They're called Puzzle Eyes." Marken said. "And they mark out those with Attunement." The human produced a mirror, and handed it to Praetorum, but he needn’t have.

Prae already knew what he would see in it.

Last edited by Praetorum on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 434

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 am

"It’s a rather gentle magic, if that’s what’s bothering you." Prae looked up from his brooding to find Edyn landing lightly before him, a healthy, happy flush to her face.

Prae smiled despite himself, glad to see his friend back to her old self. Around him, the winds rushed out to greet her, coiling and nuzzling around the other defier. "What is?" He asked.

"Attunement, idiot. Marken told me what happened. You don’t need to worry about it."

"Who says I’m worrying?" Edyn scoffed at that, and Prae relented, strapping his scythe to his back and dropping to sit on the ground. Edyn followed him, forming a small chair so she’d be at eye level with him. "It’s just... I’m changing."

"I’ve noticed." Edyn told him dryly.

"I’m changing a lot faster than I thought I would. I don’t... " Prae chose his words carefully, trying to figure out how to articulate the muddled feelings in his heart. "I don’t regret accepting these sparks from you. I made those decisions, willingly and knowingly."

He sighed, worry etching itself into his eyes. "But ever since I came here, things have just... kept happening. I keep getting... altered. Not in bad ways"— his tail, coiled around his waist, knotted tighter around himself—"but still. When do I become... someone else? How much longer before I’m someone else? Two sparks has changed me so deeply.. now three? And who knows how this diri will affect me too; Marken wasn’t able to identify what kind of bond it was. Maybe.. maybe..."

Edyn leaned forwards then, resting a hand on his shoulder. "I don’t have an answer for you." She admitted. "I wish I did. All I can tell you is that... everyone changes. That’s what it means to be mortal. It’s like a river; you’re never exactly the same twice. Small changes, big changes, they come to us all eventually."

She hesitated then, and Prae looked up at her. "You told me once that you lost someone, before we met you. Before you came to Yaralon"

Praetorum closed his eyes, and nodded slowly. "My brother. I couldn’t save him. And... my brothers and sisters in arms. I... killed them. For nothing, in the end."

He’d never said it out loud before. Time had dulled the pain of his wounds, but they still ached. Always would.

"You’re not who you were before they were gone." She whispered, and Praetorum swallowed. As he looked away, his tail unknotted from his waist, and reached for her. And when she took it gently, one calloused thumb gently stroking over the scales, he closed his eyes to hide the wetness in them.

"Change is the only constant in life." Edyn told him quietly. "All we can do about it is keep moving forwards." 

Prae’s shoulders slumped, and he closed his eyes, trying to find space in him to accept that. To embrace the changes that he could not stop. "Okay." He said finally, after a long silence. "Yeah. Okay."

She was right, and he knew it. There was nothing he could do except... adapt. Change. Become the next version of himself, and pray he would be better. 

His heart didn't believe it, not yet, but it would. Eventually. 

Change was the only constant in life, after all.
word count: 603

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Nursia
Race: Undead (Ghost)
Profession: OOC Account
Renown: 0
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:16 pm

An interesting way to introduce your Diri.

I appreciated the fact that Praetorum is faced with his changing body, and that you portrayed his panic quite a bit vividly. It's not often that people wake up with additional sparks and spiritual roommates.

Grammatically, I can't see anything wrong. Enjoy your rewards!

Praetorum

Rewards

Knowledges:
Attunement: Puzzle Eyes witchmark
Attunement: A gentle magic
Detection: Searching for an intruder in your home
Detection: Searching someone’s eyes for a witchmark
Mediation: Accepting that which you cannot change
Negotiation: Offering a trade of information
Wealth:
Renown:
EXP:
+10

Feedback

Understand that all criticisms are done in good faith. It would be a greater disrespect to not say anything in the face of problems. Please contact me through this account's inbox if you wish to further communicate on the matter of improvement, or if you feel as though anything is unduly harsh.

Player #2

Rewards

Knowledges:
Wealth:
Renown:
EXP:

Feedback

Understand that all criticisms are done in good faith. It would be a greater disrespect to not say anything in the face of problems. Please contact me through this account's inbox if you wish to further communicate on the matter of improvement, or if you feel as though anything is unduly harsh.
word count: 219

Return to “Yaralon”