• PM To Join • The Harbors of Yaralon

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderators: Aegis, Tempest

Trevor
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Sorcerer
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

The Harbors of Yaralon

Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 am

Ashan 80 719

After the longest and arduous trip overseas where they narrowly avoided a chance of confrontation with pirates, Trevor and his mentor Phelix walked off the ship that had ported in the harbor close to Yaralon's gate. The massive and bustling community already created a sense of uneasiness for the Defier, the moment they walked off the ship and onto the docks of the city. "Yaralon, the city of mercenaries. A lot of interesting times ahead of us." The older man muttered lowly as though he weren't amused at all, while Trevor followed along after him curiously with eyes lost in the crowds.

As they reached the market of the harbor Phelix stopped though and turned to his apprentice, with green eyes heavily bearing down on his pupil. "Before we go anywhere you must know, Yaralon has a very loose and unrestrained culture unlike Ne'haer. I've done a bit of asking around with the sailors, and from what I can tell you don't want to be caught here without a weapon." Trevor's eyebrows folded as the muscles of his forehead tightened, since the apprentice could not help but look at the staff he carried. "A real weapon my boy, though staves may count you are certainly likely to attract... interesting prospects."

"So you're telling me that people here fight to woo their potential lovers?"

"In hindsight yes, that is why I'm getting you a blade. It is fitting that you perfect it's use, just as you perfect your Disciplines while we stay." Trevor could hardly show any real joy in the idea, but neither did he seem dissuaded from it either. "Wait here for now, I'll return after a few Bits."

"As you wish sir." Trevor agreed with a sigh as he watched his master march off into the crowd, sure enough leaving the Defier alone at the docks they'd just walked off from. The Defier tugged at the collar of his golden tunic a little as he felt a sweat break out, already the air here made it a little slightly uncomfortable to bear. Then again it never helped that his blood always seemed to boil on it's own, thanks to the damnable traits passed on from the asshole of a father that created him. Has he grew tired of the warmth already Trevor couldn't bear it any longer, thus he pulled down the black hood of his cloak; and promptly rested his bo staff across his shoulders with wrists lazily hanging over the wood.

"Trevor", "Follower", "NPC"
Last edited by Trevor on Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 441
Kalortah Satravial
Approved Character
Race: Avriel
Profession: Minstrel
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Re: The Harbors of Yaralon

Thu May 09, 2019 1:14 pm

By all appearances, Kalortah had chosen the worst of seasons to fly south. The Ashan rains had begun, albeit sluggishly, every ten days or so it would drizzle or downpour. It’d gotten bad enough that he’d had to invest in a leather, valance drape, to protect his wings from the bulk of the moisture. Even then, the humidity had its way of sneaking under his guard, making it warmer than it really was. The valance covered his wings, offering protection against the inclement weather but little else. It was really all he needed, anyways.

Aside from the valance cloak draped over his wings, he wore a simple vest of black leather, pants, boots, and leather gauntlets. On his side hung an iron saber. In a leather sleeve on the other hip, a shortbow and quiver. He didn’t bother bringing his jewelry here. Much of the best pieces he had, had been picked off of him during his time in Scalvoris. The only other accoutrement he carried with him was his small drum, which was slung over his shoulder, and resting against his left hip.

He liked spending time in the Harbor. The salty spray of the sea was a welcome relief from the scent of shit that pervaded the rest of the city. Of course the Harbor wasn’t much better for all that, but it was a marked improvement. All the perfume and potpouri Kalortah wore wasn’t enough to drown out that terrible Yaralon stench, unfortunately.

And what did he do while spending time in the Harbor? He watched people, observed the culture, and learned. He wanted to find new songs to learn, new bits and pieces to cobble together his own stories. What better way to find new stories than to meet people to be part of those stories? To meet new challenges? So long as those challenges didn’t involve him getting his wings injured.

He spotted a pair of men in the Harbor… They had the look of newcomers, much like he was. Perhaps one of them would prove good sport. However, he didn’t want to intervene while they were two and he one. So he waited a while, to see if the newcomers separated. Sure enough, the more seasoned-looking man left behind the other. The other was holding a staff. An interesting choice of weapon. And one that Kalortah was confident he could defend against, if not flee if things got dicey.

Once the other man disappeared into the crowd, Kalortah began flying lower and lower on the wing, until he found himself on the muddy ground of Yaralon’s Harbor.

Unabashed, Kalortah smirked as he walked right up to the human. ”Hello there. Fresh off the boat?” He said, walking up to the man.

The avriel activated a field to Mute his magical signature before he got too close to the man, in case the man was a mage. If he was successful in muting his arcana, he may not be able to detect Kalortah’s magic. His left hand rested on the hilt of his saber (which he barely knew how to use, in truth.). ”What brings you to this… eh, city?”

word count: 535
Trevor
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates

Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 am

Trevor didn't want to think that their presence would attract undesirable attention so quickly, then again anytime one was new fish in unexplored waters; the bigger fish often revealed themselves to investigate the new arrivals. Just as he noticed a pale Avriel approach him, Trevor looked towards the man with wary if not curious eyes upon the individual. "Yes, quite fresh actually. Seems we've managed to survive well enough." The Defier tried to sound hearty of the situation given the nature of their venture, especially what with pirates from Blackbrine lingering around the bay as of late.

"Personal business I must say, a friend and I have work to focus on while we're here." The mage responded casually with a patient look towards the Avriel, a curious look upon him as he lowered the staff to rest it underneath both of his hands. When a gentle breeze caressed it's way past the stranger, Trevor listened to whatever small impressions he could deter from one of his friend. There was next to nothing to be noticed other than a bit of a static feeling, in which the Defier considered that maybe the Avriel possessed something enchanted or...

It was incredibly difficult for him to discern what he learned in that moment, but Trevor didn't fail to disregard the manner in which the man held his sword. "Although from the looks of it my presence unsettles you," he couldn't help but state with a slight tilt of his head at the Avriel, "surely you mustn't believe me such bad company already; reaching for your sword when you've only met a man?" The mage couldn't help but grin just a little, in spite of the offense some might have taken with such a gentle notion.

"Yaralon must be a very interesting place indeed." The statement possessed a mix of speculation and sarcasm as he straightened up, his focused gaze still heavy on the stranger in his presence. "Is it considered polite to brandish your blade on a newcomer then?" Not that it likely helped his cause any, but Trevor wasn't afraid to challenge the individual in question at this point. To him he came off a foreign ruffian who likely aimed to mug him, which wouldn't be something so easily done with the help of Trevor's unique 'friends.'

Although he also didn't wish to create a scene either in which his mentor Phelix would have to intervene, thus the Defier showed as much restraint as he could by just watching the Avriel closely. Yet still there was something oddly curious about the man, a unique feeling in which lingered every time Trevor wanted to know more. However there was only silence from the wind, and that bothered him even more than any other gesture the man intended.

Last edited by Trevor on Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 487
Arc Perscivious
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Hunter
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Wed May 15, 2019 3:41 pm

The boats bobbed and creaked periodically along with the waves, creating a cacophony in the harbors of Yaralon. The air was salty and humid, unlike the forest he had grown in. In fact, the buildings, the lack of Ithecal, the smell, the color, and everything else were nothing like his home. But that was not to say that Arc hated the place. He kind of enjoyed it even. His journey during his exile had been eye-opening to say the least. A hundred and eighteen trials had passed and the young dragon had learnt so much. There was not a trial he didn’t miss home, though.

His adventure to cross the ocean from the Ivorian Empire to Yaralon was a treacherous one. But that was a story for another time. The point was, the ocean never rested and his Kalikan, Tertia, as amazing as she was, needed some rest. Both of them needed a place to rest actually. The city was alien to him, though, and he didn’t know the layout, customs, cultures, or people. Who could he ask for information, then?

The young dragon surveyed the harbor until he found two people nicely chatting to each other. One looked like a human, wearing something that Arc’s mentor would call as a tunic with some hair growing quite dashingly above his lips. Ithecals didn’t have those. The other one was a…birdman? Ah, Avriel. That was what they were called. Arc had read about them in one of his master’s books.

Interesting.

If two people from two different races could interact, then they would certainly accept another one, right? That logic was solid. Arc couldn’t see any fault. The seven feet tall Ithecal walked to the two strangers with his beloved Kalikan following lazily behind him. Arc’s Naginata and Parma Shield were strapped on his back while most of his belongings like the tent, campsite equipments, hunting bow, etc, were bundled together in his huge securable saddle bag that he wore in front of him. He looked kind of silly, but the red dragon didn’t have the heart to burden Tertia any more. She should already be resting now, but he also couldn’t just leave her in the pier. She would be sad and lonely.

Hi, friend,” said Arc when he was close enough. He raised his arm and gave his most dashing smile but it only came out as an intimidating toothy grin. “I’m new in this place and I might need some help navigating. Can you guys, uh, what does Maria call it again, ah, yes, gentlemen show me the way around? Ah, the name's Arc, by the way. I hope I'm not interrupting anything.
word count: 459
Kalortah Satravial
Approved Character
Race: Avriel
Profession: Minstrel
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Fri May 17, 2019 1:58 am

A wry smile crossed Kalortah's lips at the man's apparent unease. It often happened when the prey was separated from its social group, whether it be the herd, a parent, or the litter. Humans were little more than animals by most standards, but Kalortah unlike most of his kind sort of enjoyed their company. Not that he had much capability for fighting or tearing down humans. Most of his skills were focused around the arts.

"Ah, work? Personal business. Interesting. You'll want a more formiddable weapon, I presume. Staves are likely to give you away for a novice, or perhaps a very confident master of warfare. Usually it's the former, and those types don't last all that long from what I gather. I'm new myself, you see."

Kalortah buffetted his wings, stretching them out as he took a few steps back from the human. He quirked a brow. "On the contrary. I've been looking for someone to learn the lay of the land with for a few tentrials since I've been there. It's good for newcomers to help each other. So how was your run into Yaralon?"

Kalortah removed his hand from the hilt of his sword, which was safely secured in its sheath, dusting off his shoulder nonchalantly. He flashed his best predatory smile at Trevor when he asked about politeness, "I can be quite rude, when I'm of a mind to. One of the perks of being able to fly away at a moments notice when a conversation turns sour. But no, brandishing a blade is as likely to get you into an impromptu death duel, as not."

Kalortah scratched his neck, as he looked at the staff in Trevor's hands. "Mind if I have a look at your staff?" Trevor might've detected the slightest hint of mischief in Kalortah's eyes as he made the request, but they were interrupted by another arrival before he could respond properly.

It was a big lizard thing. An Ithecal. Kalortah had known a few as slaves in Athart. They were imminently useful and capable creatures. Not only that, their personalities lent themselves well to reprogramming among the Nest Keepers and the slave indoctrination in Athart. Not to say they learned quickly, but the lessons and conditioning tended to stick to the stubborn Reptiles better than most specimens.

Kalortah marveled at the creature's impressive height and weaponry. He wouldn't be asking it for its weapons anytime soon, or he might just 'give' them to him in the least pleasant way.

At any rate, he shifted his gaze from between Trevor and the Reptile.

"Greetings, great one." Kalortah said, then took to the wing, and alighted to a wood-framed awning of the nearby Harbormaster's office. "I'm Kalortah of Athart, Minstrel Extraordinaire.
Where do you come from?"
He said with a low bow, his wings extending as he made the gesture.

word count: 495
Trevor
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates

Fri May 17, 2019 7:24 am

Trevor's expression filled with intrigue as the Avriel seemed to be in a giving mood, the piece of wisdom about the weapon situation offered along with a grin. Curious. Those considerably 'novices' here don't tend to last much with just a stave? Well thank Immortals he was in good company, otherwise Trevor really would've felt lost to the wolves that wandered here. Learning the fact the Avriel was new to the area as well struck him odd, as from the looks of it he seemed to look the part of a local rather well. "That so?" THe Defier stroked his chin hair with a raised eyebrow.

So a previous newcomer wants a newly arrived newcomer to tread ground with him then. What a peculiar opportunity to consider for one like Trevor, ironically enough he couldn't deny the urge to agree with the notion. "That it is, if help is what you're really giving anyways." He remarked patiently with a little less tension in his shoulders. "So far not so bad, though I'd count us lucky for not being slaughtered by pirates. I'm not too sure what to expect here in Yaralon, so far it heavily reeks of shit and the sea; can't imagine it gets much better from here." With a hint of catered enthusiasm Trev couldn't really help but chuckle, as he felt pretty sure the Avriel likely thought the same with his first arrival.

"I would think so," He agreed with the Avriel about the death duel, "must be nice to just flap away from anything unpleasant." The faint smile at present died away with the next question, as he had to consider what anyone would've thought impossible to realize. "Ah, see I would but I'm afraid not. This is a thing most precious to me, and to part with it on any terms would trouble me greatly." As he said this Trevor couldn't help but grip it a little more tighter, a fond glance spared upon the staff before he looked back to the Avriel.

He thought about it and maybe, with enough time to develop a little trust, the request would not become so impossible in the future. It was after all just a walking stick he was given, which was probably why he placed far too much sentimental value into it. After that though another approached their midst with a massive figure, a beastly Ithecal which towered the both of them easily, with the query to be shown around since he'd just disembarked from the ship. The creature introduced himself as Arc in the process, which warranted another introduction from the Avriel as well. Arc and Kalortah. Two completely new strangers from far away places, already his time in Yaralon started to look a little more promising now.

"Trevor D'ael Reverrik, formerly of Lysoria." He introduced himself with a step back to make a brief bow towards them both. Sure enough as he rose another walked to join in, the hooded figure being his partner Phelix as he approached Trevor with something hidden away beneath his cloak. "And this is my good friend Phelix. Phelix these two are also newcomers here, this one being Kalortah of Athart and this one Arc who is presumably of the Ivorian Empire?" He tilted his head with uncertainty and a curious glance shot to the Ithecal, and then focused back on his mentor as the man seemed to chuckle.

"Pleased to meet the both of you," The rugged man gestured a similar bow only with his hood still on, "now, Trevor, this is what you'll carry at your side while we're here." At that remark Phelix revealed his hidden arm to present a saber, with its own sheath, for the Defier to accept as he continued to speak. "Learn to use it in your spare time, you'll probably be doing a lot of fighting while we're here." He then started to stroke his grizzly beard as Trevor strapped it onto his waist, and for a moment the Defier couldn't help but look at his mentor for approval. "Suits you already dear boy."

"You have my thanks, perhaps a moment to consort with these two?" He requested as Phelix started to turn and wander away, which he then paused with a slight turn to his apprentice.

"I'll wait for you at the gate."

At that Trevor nodded and the confirmation was enough to allow Phelix to move along, which left Trevor alone with his new 'colleagues' and his saber. "Not really one for social protocol, but Phelix means well when it's all said and done."

word count: 796
Arc Perscivious
Approved Character
Race: Ithecal
Profession: Hunter
Renown: +30
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Sat May 18, 2019 2:52 pm

The Avriel, Kalortah, politely answered Arc, giving a low bow while extending his wings. The Ithecal had never been called a great one before, though, and that gave him a chuckle. The human, Trevor, also introduced himself while giving a brief bow. Another human came into the gathering as well. He had this apparent air around him which gave him a commanding presence of some sort. Not unlike his father or mentor, actually. The young dragon bowed back to the three trying to be polite and tried to commit the three new acquaintances to memory as his father always said that was the key to ensuring a good working relationship.

Yes, you have presumed correctly, Trevor, I am from the Ivorian Empire. Hatched and raised there,” said Arc while nodding. He could feel his stomach grumbling, but he had enough control of his faculties. Not eating for a whole day was bearable for him. “I’m sorry if I do or say something rude or unpleasant since I don’t really know the customs. As I’ve said I have just arrived here.

The boy’s Kalikan nudged him on the back as if asking to be introduced and interrupted him.

Oops, sorry to leave you out of the conversation, girl! This lovely Kalikan right here would be Tertia, my partner through the Run in the sea.” Arc patted the reptile's muzzle. “The both of us are really tired and it might not look like it but all of my stuffs here," he pointed to the bag on his front, "are quite heavy. We’re looking for a place to settle our weary butt. Is there like a place to open up a tent or something in here?"

He had been looking for a place like that ever since they landed, but he couldn't seem to find one. There were tents with people selling fishes and stuff but not a personal tent where someone could sleep in. Arc assumed he would see that kind of place deeper in the city. Hopefully.

"Ah, and a place to hunt outside the city, perhaps? We are quite famished. Well, at least I am." Arc couldn't help not to give an awkward chuckle. "Tertia here ate all of our supplies and the fishes I hunted during our run. She could be a little dangerous to others when she’s hungry, you see.

Wait! Uh oh. The red dragon realized his mistake a trill later. He sincerely hoped he didn't scare off his new friends by that statement!
word count: 427

Return to “Yaralon”