Poison cocktail

Yaralon is opening as a moderated area on 1st Feb 2023.
Riku
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Poison cocktail

Vhalar 1 718

Riku was minding his own business, pushing his way through the busy marketplace and doing his best not to get accidentally punted to oblivion. Some time spent among the tall ones had taught him many things about how to act when nobody could see you. He was rather tall for a Tunawa so he had that going for him, plus anyone that looked down to see him usually got startled and moved out of the way. These were all big plusses for Riku but it didn’t stop him from the many rocks that people would inadvertently kick while they walked. One such rock nailed him in the chest and sent him stumbling into an alleyway wheezing.

“These blasted hoomans,” he’d curse under his breath, “I’ve got to find a better way of getting around than walking.” He already knew the better method was to climb onto a wagon or latch onto someone’s back, but since nobody knew who he was it usually ended up taking more time to introduce himself and explain what he was doing than it was worth. Riku dreamed of a day where he was well known enough in yaralon to have the hoomans beg for him to ride on their sweaty backs.

Riku was just about to head back into the main road but his nose caught a strange scent. Instinctually the two foot Tunawa climbed the nearby building and started to let all the smells fill his nose. The smell was strangely stronger from up there so he walked around until he found himself staring down a chimney of sorts. There was a roaring fire under a large pot from what he could see and the smells were tantalizing. The fire scared the poor Tunawa but it would not stop him from climbing through a window of the building and looking around.

What Riku saw inside was a chemistry lab but he knew nothing about that science stuff. He was intrigued as to what was happening here and sought to get the attention of the only hooman inside. He stood between the fire and the man and used the angle to create a terrifyingly large depiction of himself as a shadow on the wall.

“Bow down to me hooman and tell me your secrets! What manner of sorcery is going on here?”

The voice was wicked yet playful. The hooman let out a small scream and spilled whatever it was that he was making which caused green liquid to start searing through the floor. Riku let out of a hysterical laugh as the hooman grabbed a textbook and looked around frantically. When he saw what he was up against, he let out a sigh of relief.

“What in the world are you doing in here little guy?” the hooman now had a smile and seemed to have forgotten that Riku had asked him a question. Riku puffed up his chest and shouted, “I’m here to learn your secrets. Where did you learn to make such delicious smells?” The Tunawa marched over to the spilled green liquid and took a large whiff of it and smiled in delight.

“That’s rat poison,” the man said bluntly, “you probably don’t want to be near that.”

“Nonsense!” Riku shouted in delight and took a handful of it and shoved it into his mouth.

“No!” shouted the man, but all was well. This toxic drink was not poisonous to Riku and in fact it seemed like he enjoyed the taste.

“You will teach me how to make this wonderful treat puny hooman. Now!”

The man scratched his head. “More like you will make more for me to repay me for wasting my entire morning’s work. Are you sure you’re ok? That stuff you just drank is meant to kill small critters.”

Riku wasn’t even paying attention at this point. He had already climbed up to the top of the table and started sniffing all the various beakers and flasks and sticking his tongue out in disgust. “Hooman these things smell! Get these out of here!”

“Hang on you!” The hooman was quick to grab Riku and hold him up so that he couldn’t accidentally knock anything over. “if you’re going to help you’ve got to listen!” Riku merely stared back at the hooman in utter shock. He hadn’t been man handled by a hooman before and he didn’t quite like it. If he had any offensive abilities whatsoever he would have put the hooman into the dirt. “Unhand me you foul cretin!”

“No! Give me your word you’ll calm down and listen, then I will let you go!”

“FINE!”

Riku stopped struggling and leapt back onto the table and sat down. The hooman brought over a series of ingredients, poured them out into a series of beakers, then mixed them together into a flask. The whole process took quite a bit of time but Riku was attentive. By the end of it the hooman had another flask of very yummy smelling liquid. Riku held his hands out longingly, but the hooman held it above his own shoulder level. “uhuhuh. If you want some you’ve got to make it yourself. Go on, try it. The ingredients are right in front of you.”

Riku scowled at having to do work, but he might as well learn it if he were going to make some for himself in the future. He found himself putting his full body weight into pushing beakers over to knock them into containers. It was a very messy process since none of the equipment was built for someone of his size. His ratios were way off too, probably because math wasn’t even something he bothered to learn past the bare minimums. In the end Riku had a slightly yummy smelling liquid but it wasn’t that good stuff that the hooman had made.

“Hooman you fooled me!”

“No, you just need practice. Now scram, I’ve got to deliver this poison and I can’t have you in here while I’m gone. You might as well come with me so I know you’re not making trouble. How did you get in here anyways?”

And that was the day that Riku made his first hooman friend.
word count: 1059
Kasoria
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Human
Renown: 1245
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Poison cocktail

Review Rewards

Name Riku

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:
Poison: making rat poison
Poison: regular poisons don't seem to work on tunawa
Chemistry: correct ratios are important
Chemistry: mixing chemicals
Intimidation: making a large shadow
Socialization: persistence is key

Renown: 5 points awarded, for catching the curious-if-perplexed eye of a human exterminator

Notes:
Welcome to ST, dude! First things first, you need to add the link to your CS in your Profile settings, so it shows up under your avatar. Makes perusing your character MUCH easier. Oh, and get you an avatar and some box coding for your posts ASAP. You don't HAVE to get these, they're not REQUIRED, but I find you get a much stronger hold on your character if you know what they look like, and personalize that to your coding.

Aside from that, I didn't have many issues with the actual story. It made me grin a few times, actually! Riku making all Dark Lord while he's knee-high is sure to provide endless chuckles! Just make sure to include more details next time, like the human's NAME, for example ;-)

Your review request is here. Also, please indicate on your request thread that this has been reviewed by using the button below. Thanks!

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image/15329/medium[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 242
Common Speech | Thoughts | Ith'ession Speech | Speech of Others
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern: Central: Yaralon”