A Story Told a Thousand Times (Arlo/Vega)

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderators: Aegis, Tempest

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +425
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 25

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: A Story Told a Thousand Times (Arlo/Vega)

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:52 pm

They'd been friends now for near enough two arcs, lovers for an arc and their lifestyle had led them to some pretty big extremes of situation. But as he waited for Arlo, Vega considered that he had never, not ever, experienced anything like this. It wasn't even the physical changes, although as they stood and waited, he noticed a few of the women in ways that he didn't usually tend to. Nice curves here, a pert butt there. Immortals, how did any man ever manage to get out of bed in the morning, Vega wondered, pulling his gaze away. Of course, not one of them or all of them put together were as beautiful as his Arlo and, as he felt a wave of possessiveness and need to keep safe, Vega also kept wondering about the logistics of that romp with triplets. In a purely scientific manner, of course, and just as idle curiosity to calm his pre wedding nerves.

It was, though, he considered, a shame that Arlo wasn't a twin.

"Right, this is bloody ridiculous this is," he grumbled, giving himself a shake and then, he realised that something was wrong. The sensations were familiar and, although he knew that it was impossible that he recognised the feelings, he still did. And thank goodness he did, because he had to protect Arlo. So, he gave the order and he strode, very manfully and with purpose, to where he and Arlo would meet. Getting back to his train of thought, he ruminated that no, it wasn't just the physical changes, it was the different way of thinking. Focused and clear, he had to remain that way now, because these people were depending on him, his soldiers, his people. She was depending on him and he could not afford to be messing around with anything in this moment.

He frowned when he heard her voice in his head. It was at once both a distraction and a welcome acknowledgement that she was alright. "Just hurry up." he said and then, remembered her grumble about him being bossy. "Please," he added. Then, he turned his attention where he had to, although he kept one eye on her, just in case. But there was a..... "Well, bloody hell that's a lot of dragons," he said and then, because it seemed like the thing to do as panic started, Vega raised his sword and cheered. "Come on you big scaly worms!" Then, he glanced, already knowing that they would be there. His elite. The best of his very best men and Vega nodded once, grimly. "Here we go, lads."

And then, the Dragons were upon them.

The air defences flew and Vega was pleased to see the dragons fall. That first volley, so very important to the battle, to the morale of the men and women under his charge - he and his men stood, firm, around the beam. And there was the bloody big ugly beast and the other two and Vega wanted, more than anything, to run in and fight.

But he'd heard the voices downstairs. He'd heard what the girl had said to Arlo and, in that moment Vega made a decision. "DEFEND!" He yelled and as he jumped, into the light, he thought to Arlo "Can you deal with those two fire breathers, qau'ma?". Standing next to her, Vega looked at Arlo and spoke, loud and clear. "I vow to love you, all my life an' all the lives still to come. Bloody well accept me. Not him. You're mine, an' don't go forgettin' it"

Because, if she accepted, the very trill that she did, Vega grabbed and kissed her. She had to accept, of course, because that was what she'd been told and he had heard. That was why the axe-head wasn't fighting, just standing there. But no. Arlo would be his. Because then? Well, then - in the crazy place that was Vega's head - then they were married, peace would reign and the dragon would be defeated.

Fixed.
word count: 691
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +518
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 28

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Arlo knew much too little for her own comfort, about what was going on above her in the temple. The one, she guessed, where she was intended to marry lord Vega. The sounds of scurrying feet, swords being drawn, voices raised and a real sense of urgency about it all, especially where Vega was concerned. Dragons, apparently. And not just one of them either.

She had to get up there. There by Vega's side and it was the beam of starlight, she knew, that would get her there. She stepped into it then without hesitating or wondering what would become of her in the process. It was a full blown battle before she even got up there. Looking up through the beam as she'd stepped into it, she'd spied an enormous winged beast, a dragon, sliced right down the middle from stem to stern by the beam itself, as it flew past.

A dragon. The stuff of legends and stories and more fiction than fact. But in this place, in this story, there they were and it took her breath away. Not necessarily in a good way. Vega was up there, exposed and out in the open. As she went, rather than the beam of starlight and stardust carrying her bodily along with it, it was more that she became, and was, part of it. She felt as light as air, and tingled from head to toe from the sensation.

Star Queen. She intuitively knew what it meant, what she was and what she was capable of. She also understood very clearly that the wedding had to happen or all would be lost. She'd have been better prepared to fight however, was she not exposed, head to toe, to everyone around her. And had she been wearing much more sensible shoes. But just as she knew who and what she was, and what she needed to do, she understood the extent of the power that she had at her very fingertips. It boggled the mind and even before the dragon's voice came to her, she'd reached back into the beam and drew out a shield and sword, perfectly crafted for her, by her, out of starlight.

"He's my true husband!" Arlo shouted back at the owner of the voice that came to him out of the blue, and pointed at Vega across the way. Never in all of Arlo's arcs, had the traveler anticipated he, or rather she now, would utter those words. But balanced on those impossibly high heels, dress and hair whipping around body and face, she struck a pose and raised her sword. "It's you, the false king. And you who I'll slay."

And then Vega was there by her side. "Of course I accept you and of course I love you. Don't be stupid," she argued after Vega fought his way to her side. The newfound tendency to boss her however, was going to have to be squashed and right quick. Still, she'd tell him that later. After the kiss, which she returned with a passion that was somewhat surprising, all things considered. After the wedding if there was going to be one. And after they slayed a few dragons. But could she? Of course she could, she said and turned to face the ramparts where the dragons were perched.

She, apparently, could manipulate starlight after all. And presumably, she could weaponize it too. Reaching out and focusing on the very beam that had delivered her bodily into the chapel, she reshaped it into long tendrils of glittering light that weaved through the air and snapped and curled, both of which she sent sailing towards the two dragons like two, well aimed snapping whips.
word count: 630
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:07 pm

Timestamp

From the moment the two shared their true love's kiss, everything changed. There was a loud roaring "No!!" It was a remnant of the dragon who'd claimed to be Lady Arlo's true husband. Lady Arlo's whips sliced through the air, and chopped the two dragons down before the fire could escape their maws. Another roar was sounded, a defeated sound, and the impons and dragons all began a full retreat. The battle was lost. The dragons had been betrayed. They'd acted upon the assumption that the wedding was a sure thing for their kind, but with the Star Queen turned against them there was no hope. And so, they fled back to the dark lands from whence they came, Lord Vega's forces shooting down many more of their numbers on their way out.

And just like that, as quickly as it had begun, the attack was over. And Lord Vega and Lady Arlo were married. It wouldn't take long for reports to come in from Vega's well oiled forces, showing signs that casualties were surprisingly low, that the training had been incredibly effective, and that roughly seventy percent of the flight had been slain. Vega's sister was there, putting away her knives. She looked at Arlo, smiling now, "I suppose I can trust you now, sister." Then she embraced her brother in a way she hadn't in so long.

Once letting go, "So you're a married man now." She bobbed her head in the direction of Vega's private tower, "Go act like it. I'll make sure the clean up and such goes off well."

And then in the air around them, a voice was heard. A young boy's voice that Arlo would recognize, one he'd heard in his past. "Sir Danzcek then picked up his bride, and carried her up every single step to their bedroom. Afterwards, the kingdom grew brighter each day under the rule of the King of Funklewort and the Star Queen. The dragons never returned, and the beasts of darkness were gone forever. The kingdom prospered, crops grew big and plentiful, people smiled every day, and there were never any orphans. The orphanages had to all be shut down because every child had parents who loved them dearly, never wanting to get rid of them or die. The End."

"That's the best story. I hope it comes true one day," there was a sad giggle in a young girl's voice. A voice that Vega would recognize. "A world without orphans would be the happiest."

There was a bright flash of light over Arlo and Vega and the crack of thunder.

Suddenly, they'd find themselves on the deck of a three masted ship. Arlo wore the gruff, older, unshaven, scarred appearance of a man who'd spent his entire life at sea. Vega was a younger woman, dressed to look like one of the men. And all around them a vicious storm whipped at them. Rain stung at skin, wind battered at them, massive waves rose and crashed over the side.

They were aboard The Blushing Maiden. On the deck above them, a very drenched man with a greying beard called out, "Oy! First mate Arlo! Cabin boy Vega! Stop lolligagging and get those sails under control. I can't steer this bitch with y'all fingerin' each other's bum holes." All around the ship, crew could be seen scrambling to adjust ropes per the captain's orders, others checking and double checking ties.

Both Arlo and Vega would know that the Blushing Maiden was a merchant vessel. An old biddie for sure, but solid and well built. She was originally built for one of the Pirate Lords of Scalvoris but went undelivered when they disappeared. So Arlo's captain purchased it, and the two men had been sailing together ever since. They'd picked up much of their crew from Scalvoris, including the cabin boy. They normally maintained close routes, Nekhet, the Eternal Empire, cities close to Scalvoris.

Totrial they were on their way to Yaralon, with many goods including foodstuffs, as well as many passengers paying to go with. None on the ship had ever been to the city before, but it appealed to those wishing to escape the clutches of Scalvoris' slavery. First mate Arlo himself had been a slave for ten years before having escaped. They thought it would all change after the pirate lords were gone, with a new government in place. But it didn't. Of course it didn't. No one could ever defeat slavery. Not while the strong could defeat the weak.

A voice within Arlo's head spoke. The same girl's voice that Arlo had heard previously, the same voice that Vega would recognize. "Storms always scare me so bad. I don't know why. I don't want to be scared. I can't help it. My new mom says I should love storms, that they bring life. But I can't stop shaking. Everything scares me now. Ever since Danny died. I miss my knight. We were going to be king and queen together, in a land without orphans. But he burned up instead. And now, I'm alone. Always alone."

One crewman walked past Arlo toward the door to the hold, a smile on his face. He'd finished tying down the leads he was responsible for. Arlo would know that the man was heading on break, to go claim his "sailor's tax" from one of the women. They all did it, Arlo had been no exception. It was only fair, for the sailors did all the work. The man, a stout man of dark skin and long, black hair, was named Obrian, and had taken a liking to a woman named Ismelda. She'd come on board with a daughter, Zanadika. Obrian had visited the girl's mother most nights like this, kicking the child out while he partook. But tonight was the first night it had stormed on the journey.

As Obrian disappeared into the depths of the massive ship, lightning cracked once more. In the distance, a massive wave, three times the height of the ship's masts was barreling toward them. A rogue wave, one that didn't match those the storm had been battering them with. On this ship were two hundred souls, most of whom were passengers down below.

word count: 1103
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Vega had never, in all her arcs on Idalos and all his breaks here, kissed a girl. But this wasn't just a girl. This was Arlo and so, he didn't hesitate as he pulled her close to him. The roar of the dragon was largely ignored as he lingered there a moment, his arm wrapped around her waist. There was a brief flurry of things which happened then and, though he wouldn't admit it, Vega largely wasn't aware of them. Why? "Nice dress," he said, with a grin.Then, in a move which later would make her cringe, Vega leaned in and whispered to Arlo "That, high heel shoes an' a whip? You're the perfect woman you are." In the moment, he thought it was rather funny.

He turned to look at Arlo at his sister's words and then a look of some panic crossed Vega's face as his sister suggested they.. went upstairs. Panic, yes, that was what this was and Vega cleared his throat. "Well, now, see. That's the thing isn't it? I mean... " With a half-grin, half-grimace to Arlo, he shrugged. "If you're not busy. We could give it a go?"

The situation resolved itself, though, without the need for them to 'give it a go' as Vega oh-so-romantically put it. With a crash of thunder they heard a voice and, although she didn't recognise it, because she'd never met him, she knew immediately who it was. And then, the little girl whose voice she did recognise. Vega turned to Arlo with compassion in her eyes as they stood there, together on the deck.

On the deck? Vega did a double take as she looked at Arlo and realised that he was.. Her hand flew to her chest and she sighed. "Oh thank Xiur we've got the righ' bits back in the righ' places!" Ever the poet, she grinned at him and then looked around. "Oh, great. This isn't gettin' at all old quick," she grumbled, her body-weight shifting naturally with the movements of the vessel.

As she glanced at the blokie going to do the unmentionable with a woman who didn't want it while a child got chucked out of her room, Vega's frown darkened and she turned to speak to Arlo. But, before she got to say more than, "Righ' well.... " her eyes widened and she pointed. "EYES TO PORT!" Vega had grown up on ships, after all, in the really real world and she knew a rogue wave when she saw one.

She also knew an opportunity. With a nudge to Arlo's ribs which was as sharp as it was not-at-all gentle, she said to him. "Call for all hands, an' I'll go get that kid." Vega didn't care, one way or another, whether this story was supposed to pan out a certain way or not. She cared about the child, the people, and getting the heck home. In fairness, it was in that order.

Since Obrian wasn't going to be calling on the mother, Vega looked around at the best way to make sure that this damn ship didn't sink. If Arlo took care of the wave, then she'd turn her attention to the sails. Vega knew no fear when it came to this kind of thing and, if up the mast was where she needed to go, then that was where she went. Because those sails needed to be sorted.

So, that was what she did.
word count: 610
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:09 pm

When her whip sliced the dragons in two, right down the middle, Arlo, or rather lady Arlo did a not very ladylike thing. Or at least she reacted in a way that probably wouldn't fall under the umbrella of princess like and regal comportment. She whooped, pumped her fist in the air and shouted "Take that, you lowdown, good for nothing excuses for garden lizards!" She even managed to not topple off her heels as she pulled out a little victory jig.

"It's scratchy," she whispered curiously, afterwards when she and lord Vega kissed. Mid afternoon shadow that was. The him that was Arlo recognized it for exactly what it was, but had never experienced from this side of a kiss. The old he wondered if Vega ever minded it. As lady Arlo, she decided it was rather nice. "I do try," she said then, referring to the heels and the whip. The hug and the sentiment of trust from the other woman was awkward, but Arlo did her best to take it in stride, and patted the other woman's shoulder as they parted.

But wait...What? Go act like a married what? Arlo turned to Vega, eyes wide and a little bit confounded at the very suggestion. Because after all, these weren't their usual bodies. In that sense, weren't they virgins? She decided it was better not to ask or even wonder. But then when Vega suggested that they might give it a try, Arlo had to admit that she was intrigued. And tempted. Very, very tempted. "Well I certainly think we could..." But as it happened...Well actually, it didn't get a chance and never did happen.

What caused things to come to a screeching halt, in that regard, was the storyteller behind the whole thing chiming in. And immediately, Arlo recognized that voice. And the name. "Sir Danzcek...I know that voice, and the kid," she whispered to Vega. "That was the kid. That night. Mixiebelle, the kid I was helping, the girl that you met and that gave me the ribbon. The night that Cassion came to take me off to run his gambit. That one." That one, he meant but didn't say, when she'd been burned but he hadn't known it then. This was his story they'd been playing out.

But then of course before either of them could consider it further, they were somewhere else, but in more familiar bodies. Sort of, for him, since apparently he'd aged quite a bit in this version. Vega was herself, if dressed in men's clothing and Arlo couldn't be happier to see her looking herself, even if they weren't where he'd have expected to be. This was not the Wanderlust after all. He grinned at her, but couldn't help adding dryly, a bit exhausted if he was honest. "Here we go again, yeah?"

The deck was rolling in a storm, and suddenly the apparent captain shouted at them. Arlo looked the man's way, narrowing his eyes a bit and frowning. First mate? He didn't have to look at himself to know how aged his appearance was. So he was supposed to have spent arcs, maybe decades at sea and first mate was all he'd managed? He might punch the man, especially for the crude comment...But he supposed that Vega's identity was meant to be an unknown and all assumed she was a man or a boy. What with rules about there being no women on board. Or at least those working as crew members. "Aye, aye, cap'n," he grumbled.

And then there was that voice again. The girl this time. "It's her again, in my head," he told Vega, and he told her what the girl said. "I'm starting to think that maybe if we don't find a way to fix things, we might keep being sent in circles till we do." How they'd do that however, he didn't have the foggiest. Meanwhile, Vega's pointy elbow digging into his ribs pulled him back into the moment, a moment during which he'd only vaguely noticed. He'd been distracted after all, by a familiar voice going on in his head. "All hands!" he shouted, thanks to Vega's prompting....after all he was usually the navigator, not the first mate. And while Vega went off to try and shimmy up to the tangled sails, he shouted, "You men there! Sort out those ropes!"

Once he'd shouted out his instructions, Arlo's eyes turned to the sea and spotted the massive wave headed their way. It was going to take some very fancy sailing to survive that impact, if they could do it at all. Focusing then, he called on an ability that he owed U'frek his thanks for. A little concentration, a little imagination as he envisioned and called on a wave of his own to rise up from the sea between the incoming killer wave and the ship. Pushing up from the depths in his mind's eye, he raised his new wave and sent it careening off to meet the incoming one. An effort to undercut it, slow it down, diminish its size and if he was lucky? He'd manage to reduce it to little more than a mere ripple among others on the surface of a churning pond.
word count: 915
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 am

Timestamp

No one paid any mind to cabin boy Vega's cry. But they did pay attention when the first mate called out. Everyone, including Obrian, set to work. And the captain watched his crew, watched the wave, watched the storm, watched everything, getting ready for some fancy steering. And while his men had ignored the cabin boy, he had not. He had sharp eyes and a quick wit it seemed. Good instincts. The captain was bringing the ship about, to ride out the wave instead of letting it roll them over, while his first mate gave the orders necessary to manage the crew. The man seemed a little off today. Had he not taken his tax yet? Or had another gotten there first to make it sloppy? Whatever it was, the captain was not amused by the slight lack of attentiveness.

And he seemed quite chummy with the cabin boy.

As the ship began to turn to receive the wave, the captain watched as another wave grew up in the path of the massive rogue. He'd been sailing his entire life and had never seen such an unnatural act of the ocean. But the new wave killed the rogue and there was little more than a slight splash by the time the water reached the ship. Just what in U'frek's name had that been?

He barked out a few more orders to get the ship back into a normal course, as they continued to ride out the storm. He hoped another rogue wave wouldn't come a knockin' for he doubted he would be blessed with a second miracle. The sails were still struggling against the winds and would need adjusted after having been first adjusted to brace against the wave. The ropes were pulling taut while others stretched. And the crew had to go through the entire process of fixing everything.

The life of a sailor.

The captain barked again, "First mate Arlo, get up here." As the crew got everything under control, a few of them began to mill about once more, some heading below deck, others staying up here on their shift. Everything was returning back to normal.

"Arlo, ya got an itch up your ass or a rot in your mast? You're two sips shy of a full bottle today. Cabin boy there doin' your job, and you too busy blowin kisses at him. This ain't you. Is this the behavior that got your last crew killed? E'eryone heard the stories, attacked out at that northern point. But we both know that tweren't your route. Well I ain't lettin' you kill my crew too. Get your head on straight, or you'll find yourself on a very long and lonely swim."

The captain waited to here Arlo's excuse or story or reason, or whatever it was the man decided to say. None of them would quell the captain's temper, and the man was quick to wave him away. "Make sure you punish that cabin boy too. Needs to know his place. Not too much though. Six or eight lashes oughta do it."

word count: 548
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:11 pm

The captain in this story, in Arlo's humble opinion, wasn't nearly as quick on the uptake as he seemed to think he was. The fact that he appeared to have bought wholesale into the belief that Vega was a man or boy, was evidence enough of that. The way her trousers tugged across her shapely backside, strained against the curve of her hips and cinched in small at the waist; he'd have to be blind not to see it. And that wasn't even counting her topside.

At any rate, Arlo was pleased as could be that his efforts with the wave had done the trick, at least in the short term. In the long run however, there'd be more waves to come. At least some of the men on board had some sense, and were following his orders well enough. He even considered taking credit for the wave having fallen apart, but after the fact, they'd have hardly believed him. Even though those with a keen enough eye might notice U'frek's auro surrounding him. But he was being hailed, and without having the foggiest where Vega had gone off to, he complied with the captain's order and joined him.

And then in short order, he wanted to turn the man's face inside out. There was no question about it. Being a man in a woman's body had been awkward and strange. But interesting. This story, he didn't care for one bit. And then it hit him. Stories weren't fixed things. They depended on the teller to either put it forward exactly as they'd heard it, or to send it into the future with a new spin. Their own unique one. Well, he and Vega were making this one their own. "Did they hear this story too?" he asked, reaching out to place his hand on a bit of the rail that had taken some damage during the storm. Not enough that it would have sunk them, but the wood was good and splintered there.

As he laid a hand on the damage for the captain to see, the multi-colored auro that surrounded him flared up, intensified, focused itself on the damaged rail and the splintered wood knitted itself back together. Good as new. And then he turned to the captain. "You incompetent boob. Not only are you as blind as a mole and can't see what's right in front of your eyes, you couldn't sail a toy duck safely across a bathtub." If any of the crew were nearby, they probably wouldn't be objecting to the treatment. In his story, nobody liked the captain anyway.

"We wouldn't be in this mess if you'd listened to the warnings and watched the signs. I say, let somebody better at captaining take over...Somebody that knows what they're doing and has sailed through worse than this. Vega!" he called out, putting a hand on his sword just in case he needed to draw and use it. He'd know the signs, well before needing to. And after all, wasn't this mutiny by some standards? Hopefully most of the crew was on board, in a matter of speaking. "And for once," Arlo added, while speaking of the so called cabin boy, "Open your eyes. If you'd done it sooner, we wouldn't be limping like we are now."
word count: 578
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Arlo's comment on his stubble caused a slightly quirked grin and he put a hand up to feel it. One eyebrow raised in questioning gaze, but he said nothing. Him having a mid-afternoon shadow, after all, was the least of the weirdness they were currently facing. And, judging by the look on Arlo's face when he suggested that they made their way upstairs and 'gave it a go', Vega's grin was just widening slightly, his arm pulling her closer to him when there was the voice and Arlo's explanation was about as good for Vega's rising passion as a bucket of cold water over his head. "Oh," he replied, his eyes showing Arlo that he was all too aware of exactly what night Arlo meant.

But then, inside turned out and upside turned down and they were standing on a boat. Arlo looked like himself... sort of... Vega would have teased him about being old and clapped out, but he looked tired. Not physically, necessarily, but in his eyes and so she just touched her hand to his and gave a slight smile. And there, he heard another voice, the girl this time. Having heard the boy, Vega wasn't quite sure why she didn't hear the girl, but that was what it was and she wasn't fussed. She called out about the wave and not a one of them paid any attention.

That really, really got up her nose. Not because they hadn't listened to her, she didn't have two hoots to care about them with. But, Vega had lived her life on boats. It didn't matter who yelled to warn you that there was something dangerous coming towards you. You listened. Because if you didn't listen, you died. So, she got herself up the mast and sorting out the ropes the best way she could. The captain and the rest of the crew seemed to more or less ignore her, which was fine with her, they were a bunch of pillocks as far as she was concerned. But this ship needed sorting and she was happy to sort it. Her ability to do so was much better than it had ever been and Vega knew that, on a real crew, that would be what was important.

And as for that tax? Oh, it made her blood boil, the very thought of it. But then, Arlo called down to her and she clambered down and jumped to move next to him. Immediately, she knew what he was doing and why and she played along. "Is it that time already?" Vega asked and she grinned, then turned to the Captain and shrugged. "He's right," she said, lowering her hood and pulling off the hat which hid her mop of long red hair. "Yer a steamin' tit." Gesturing to the crew, and with total conviction, Vega spoke. As she did, she used the ability from her Nalos mark and bolstered the "An' we all know it. It's time, boys, First mate's about to become Cap'n," If he thought anyone other than him was going the captain route, he was very mistaken.

Using the Xiur-granted ability "boost of morale", Vega did her best to make sure that the crew were behind Arlo. Focusing it on him, after he had shown them the miracle he did. To Obrien, she turned then and her hand, too, was on her sword. "Time to decide, chuckles." Because that one, he was the one that was going to be difficult out of the crew, Vega thought. After all, everyone else was behind them. "You with Cap'n Arlo, or you swimmin' with the fishes?"

May U'frek forgive her for uttering those words.
word count: 640
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:34 am

Timestamp

The captain's eyes narrowed at the challenge from his first mate and the cabin boy. Mutiny. It was... disheartening for the captain. He knew he was hard, he knew he wasn't the best captain, but he always did what he felt was best for the ship and the crew. It wasn't easy being a ship captain in Idalos, especially a self taught one. He could see the looks on the faces of the crew around. They agreed with Arlo. The look upon the captain's face was not one of outrage, but one of defeat. This was his family. Or so he'd thought.

He was about to speak, when Vega's Flow of Morale took hold, of the crew, and of him. For the ability raised morale for those around, not specifically to aid Arlo as Vega had wished. The defeatism in the captain's face vanished. His resolve steeled, and his eyes grew hard. The ability had a mixed effect on the crew, for it was no unanimous among them of who wished to follow the first mate and those who wished to follow the captain.

"You think you can take my ship, Arlo?" The captain spat venomously. "You all saw it, the man has magic. And yet he hasn't been using his magic to help us through all the struggles we've faced until now. He's a day without wind. Not to be trusted."

They'd seen Arlo's repair of the ship. It swayed a few of the Arlo's supporters to the captain's side. "I am the captain, Arlo. I do not swim." The captain quickly drew his saber, holding it at the ready, "To arms!" The supporters of the captain all drew their own weapons. Many of them knew this would need to be over quickly, or the storm would swallow up a ship with a distracted crew. That turn a few more to the captain's side, out of self preservation. A heavy majority of crew had their weapons drawn and were backing their captain.

Lightning flashed and thunder cracked as the ship bobbed and heaved. The sails buffeted and the ropes creaked. "I think it is you two goin' for a dip." Down below on the lower deck, one of the captain's supporters lost his balance in the bouncing ship, and fell into one of the Arlo supporters. That deck delved into chaos. Weapons were being swung, as the captain's supporters worked to try and surround Arlo's. Civil war had been brought to the ship, one that could doom them all.

word count: 460
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 pm

First mate was about to become captain? Arlo cut a glance at Vega, no matter who exactly was looking on. She was the captain. He was the navigator. That was the way it worked best. What with her naturally, ordained by nature itself, being the bossier one by far. They'd have a chat about that later. But for now, it wouldn't do for the rest of them to witness even the slightest division between them. So he only smiled and nodded. Then all that was left, was for the crew to decide on which side they'd stand.

"I do not have magic," he said. "I'm not a mage. I'm blessed by U'frek and that little bit of a repair job you witnessed, and the one small wave that knocked a larger one down to size...That's about the extent of what I can do." That was it and against the sorts of odds the ship had faced up to now, in the scheme of things that wasn't much. Unless of course they wanted to see him walk on water. He'd rather, and did, keep that to himself however, just in case he and Vega ended up int he drink. But was the captain favored by the Immortal lord of the seas, his tone seemed to suggest, for the sake of those men among the crew who were still considering their options.

That was convenient though, he added meaningfully, that the captain himself didn't swim. Or couldn't, more likely. As swords were drawn however, Arlo drew his as well. He and Vega were outnumbered, it appeared, but he wasn't going to stand around with all those weapons pointed at him, without one in his hand to fight back with. And with a sword, he was no slouch. "You can certainly give it a try," he said, when the captain suggested tossing him and Vega overboard.

"You might even manage it eventually, but not without losing a number of skilled sailors in the process. You might need them. There's a bigger storm brewing than what this ship has already weathered," he added, taking note of the boiling waves and lightening strikes. "Come to that," he said, frowning thoughtfully. "Between her and me, we've got the favors of Xiur, Qylios, U'frek, Jesine and Cassion...for the sake of transparency. "I wonder how any one or all of them is going to take to an attack on a couple of their favorites." Tilting his head curiously and looking out to sea with a thoughtful frown," Arlo added, "Seems that at least one of them or more is already letting their displeasure be known."

It might only get worse, was the suggestion, should the captain continue with his aggression. Arlo knew just how superstitious sailors could be. He was also aware of how important Xiur and U'frek were to them all. That was exactly what he was counting on.
word count: 500

Return to “Yaralon”