A Story Told a Thousand Times (Arlo/Vega)

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderators: Aegis, Tempest

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +425
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 25

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: A Story Told a Thousand Times (Arlo/Vega)

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Ooops, Vega thought and she shot Arlo a brief, apologetic glance. It might be possibly possible that she'd made things just a touch worse by showing off. But still, Arlo stepped forward and he spoke, clearly and she nodded. He was becoming the captain and if he thought about it, she considered, he'd know why. She was hiding the fact that she was a female, for some reason. Bloody sailors, they were all human and that made it worse. Human sailors, superstitious about the most ridiculous things. The most ridiculous. Like women aboard a ship. Although, they didn't seem to mind about...

Vega frowned as she considered that and then she turned. Arlo would know the look. Vega had slipped over into A Little Bit Irritated. "An' you jus' hang on a bit, you!" she said, turning to the current captain. "You stood there scratchin' yer ass while a wave would've took us, an' why? Cos yer thinkin' about gettin' yer end away with unwillin' women as some kind of tax?" She looked at him and her face showed just what she thought of that. "There's a little girl down there, an' you think it's a'right to force yerself about? It isn't. Yer a pathetic..." Vega had a little bit of a temper, it had to be said. "... utterly pathetic excuse fer a man. These men, they don't trust you. They can't AND THE LOT OF YOU ARE GONNA CUT THIS OUT RIGHT NOW!" That, as the men started circling.

She would argue that she was a sensible, calm and mild-mannered woman with unerring logic. She just, probably, wouldn't argue it today. "A'right, you lot LOOK! LOOK!" Pointing out to sea, where the lightning hit the water. "We can fight about this shizzle later, you bunch a'land'lubbin' meat heads! Prepare the ship, or we're all gonna die! Get those sails sorted, hard to port an' pull in the riggin' on the mizzenmast, or Chrien's gonna take us all!"

Vega had grown up on ships. She understood them in her blood, despite her attempts to suggest differently as a child, and she knew that there was a tone. That was the tone she used with these sailors, and then she turned her head to Arlo and looked at him. "The little girl. You heard her. What would a child want? We need to stop bad stuff from happenin' an' make sure we all survive. I'm righ' sorry." it was rare those words came out of Vega's mouth, "I think I made it worse, not better."
word count: 450
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 am

Date

The crew that was threatening to boil over into full fledged conflict stopped. They all knew the tone that Vega had thrown out. It was the tone of port mothers, of coastal wives, of sailing mates. It was a tone no sailor ignored, that sparked no rage in a competent sailor. The fighting fizzled before the first real blow was struck. Eyes were darting back and forth from the pair of rebels to the captain. Then the ship bounced again, and one man quickly sheathed his sword, quickly yanking a tie to get a sail in line.

Duty over war.

Those who'd surrounded Vega and Arlo put away their weapons and set back to righting the ship. Arlo was blessed by U'frek, and others, and they weren't about to spill his blood in the ocean here. And they all wished to get to this new land alive and in one piece. They weren't pirates, they didn't live and die by the cutlass. They were the lifeblood of the ship. And so, the ship went back to work, leaving the captain staring down at him. Part of him was furious at the sudden turn of events away from his commands, and yet the other part was proud. Proud in his sailors, for having more sense than he.

"Get back to work, First Mate, Cabin Girl. We'll talk over ale when we reach Yaralon."

Then he returned to his wheel, getting the ship back to a healthy course.

Vega's hunting instincts would let her feel a pair of eyes staring at her. If she looked, she'd see the little girl she'd met at the Order of Adunih, hiding in the shadows, clutching a knife, her hand shaking. She slipped out and timidly walked toward Vega and Arlo. She looked first at Vega, "Can you teach me how to do that voice?" The storm continued to rage, but the crew was working like a well oiled clock and they were taking every breath of wind and every wave in strive. It was perhaps one of the best moments of unity in the crew's short history together.

Then the girl looked at Arlo, and though he could hear her speaking, he'd know that something was off about it. Like the voice was her own, but not from this world. "And the ship sailed through trials and trials of storms. The girl, now calling herself Nadika, no longer feared the storms. She helped to keep the women from being taxed any more on this journey, and her heart hurt a little less than it did before. She still missed Ser Danny, but she knew now that she couldn't just be the helpless princess. She had to be her own knight in shining armor too."

Lightning cracked brightly over the area, and when the flash settled, Vega and Arlo would see that once more they'd been transported away. Except now, they were outside the doors of Cassion's Shrine, and a slightly taller, Nadika was sitting on a log, telling the shrine a story of when her and Danny had traded some apples they'd stolen from a farm for a bottle of blueberry wine. They'd hated it, but laughed about how it stained their teeth.

Nadika's mother was nearby, with a rugged looking man, watching as the little girl told her stories. Their eyes grew wide at having seen the two exit from within the shrine, for to do so was an extremely rare occurrence, and the Yari people were terribly superstitious. They didn't bend the knee, but they gave nods of respect, not wishing to interrupt their daughter's offerings to the Immortal she prayed to most.

Nadika looked up from her offerings of story, and saw the pair, and the girl broke into a sad smile. She clearly recognized them. Her eyes fell upon Arlo's again, "Did you... did you have a nice story?" The girl's eyes were full of tears, though none yet fell. She hadn't cried since the journey to this land by that ship, promising herself to be strong. Yet now, it all threatened to crumble away, at the sight of those who reminded her of the last days she spent with Ser Danny.

word count: 738
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +425
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 25

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm

On the ship, Vega had knelt down to get herself eye level with the little girl and she smiled solemly. "A'course I'll teach you, love. Ev'ry girl's got that voice in her, an' I'll show you how to find it." Reaching up, Vega touched her chest, between her breasts where her heart beat. "You jus' gotta shout from there. People tell you, tell us, that we've got to be brave, an' quiet, that not showin' yer emotions is strong. I say they can jus' boil their heads, they can. Your heart, that's where your strength is. Don't ever be afraid to show it, it's a beautiful thing." The girl looked over to Arlo then, and Vega did the same, smiling to him.

Vega didn't notice that the girl's voice sounded different, but she did note the change in the way the girl spoke. Before she got a chance to ask Arlo about it, however, the lightning flashed and suddenly they were back where they'd begun, at the door to Cassion's shrine. And there was the girl. She'd grown since Vega last saw her but then, of course she had. As Nadika's parents nodded, Vega nodded and gave a slight smile, but her attention was mostly reserved for the child.

There was, inevitably, something about how Vega moved. She never hesitated, simply acted. It had got her in to more trouble than she could say, but it was who she was and that was that. So, she stepped forward with purpose and crouched down on her haunches to, once again, be at eye level with her. "Hey, it's righ' good to see you. How're you doin', love?" She motioned to the door, the shrine to Cassion and she smiled. "We were righ' lucky. We had two stories. One of a knight who was brave an' righ' heroic, an' he saved the kingdom. It was Ser Danzcek's story, an' he told it. We heard his voice. Then, there was a story about a storm, an' a girl who was afraid, but she learned to listen to her heart, an' she were jus' as brave as any knight had ever been. That were your story, an' we heard you tell it." Vega looked at the little girl and she had a very serious expression on her face. "You were right brave. It's easy to forget, but the bravest people in this world are the ones who're afraid an' do it anyway."

Vega looked up at Arlo and she smiled, slightly. Then, she turned back to Nadika. "Thank you, for remindin' us, both of us, that really brave isn't holdin' in yer emotions an' pretending you don't have them. It's feelin' them an' acknowledgin' them, an' then living yer life the very best you can. Cassion tells your story, an' Ser Danzcek's story, too." Looking up at Arlo, Vega's eyes swirled with deep emotions. "Arlo an' I, we travel loads of places, an Arlo here, he tells stories fer a livin', an' he's the best storyteller there is. We'll keep tellin' Ser Danny's story. I promise." Standing, she turned to Arlo and said, apparently entirely seriously.

"It's a shame. I liked you in that first outfit."
word count: 568
Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +518
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 28

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Who knew that Vega's 'housewife with a frying pan' voice would work with this lot, where everything else that they'd tried had failed? Then again, why wouldn't it? It was probably a universal response among men, no matter their stripe. Arlo was inclined to question or delve too deep into the prospect. He'd opt to remain grateful that the situation had been suddenly diffused. If not completely resolved. Close enough.

"I think it went pretty well at that," Arlo whispered back when Vega worried in his ear. If he'd had any part at all in ending the hostilities, it was probably just that men who relied on the ocean's good graces in order to survive, weren't keen on tossing one of U'frek's overboard to be fed to the sharks. He'd had no qualms about suggesting as much. Then, there was the girl who the boy he'd met had been so fond of. And her story, but told from a place he couldn't quite put his finger on. From the outside, at any rate. She was right anyway. Girl or boy, made no difference. To be truly strong and to be a survivor, she'd need to stand up for herself.

And then in the blink of an eye they were outside the shrine once again. There was the girl telling her story, and her parents with her. Arlo smiled and squeezed Vega's hand. "I did indeed," he said when the child asked about his story. "One of the best ever." It struck him then, that no matter to what extent Vega said she didn't want children, she was awfully good with them. And they were attracted to her like bees to honey. He'd tease her about that. Later. "She's flattering me," he said, referring to Vega's praise for his storytelling skills. "I'm not sure I'm the best storyteller. There's better." There being Cassion of course, better than them all. "But I'll be sure to tell your story wherever we go."

As for that first part of the story, Arlo shook his head and bumped Vega's shoulder, though he was grinning a little as he did it. "Best you have a good memory then. It'll be the first and the last time you'll ever see it," he vowed.
word count: 401
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:36 pm

[anchor=OptionFour][/anchor]
Thread Review
"As will I."

He came hiking out of the woods, brushing off a branch that got snagged on his shoulder. "Sorry I'm late, you know how it is." Cassion walked over to Nadika, "Thank you. Do you know who I am?" The little girl nodded hesitantly. Cassion smiled at her, plucking the hat from his head and plopping it down atop Nadika's head. The girl smiled, and she became a Sojourn.

Cassion turned to Vega and Arlo, "I see you met... an old friend. Poor creature." He pat the shrine, "I hope you're having fun. I can see you've learned something important from these stories." He stepped forward, clasping Arlo firmly by the shoulder, a knowing twinkle in his eye. Turning to Vega, he pulled her into a firm embrace, a peck on the cheek, a whisper in her ear, "Keep a good eye on him for me."

And then Cassion wandered off, whistling a tune that Arlo would somehow recognize, yet not quite remember. Nadika also left with her parents, smiling big under the floppy brim of her hat, waving at Arlo and Vega. And soon, the pair were left with just each other, their stories, and the world before them.

Word Count: 18,462
Review Request Link: N/A

This was an incredibly fun thread for me. The adaptation you both had when adjusting to the stories was phenomenal, and how you managed to both assume the role in the story while also staying true to character is commendable. If you have any specific Non-Skill Knowledges you'd like, PM them to me. Any questions, just ask.
Vega
  • Skill Points - 15
  • Renown - 15
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Detection: Recognizing Arlo's eyes in the wrong body
    2. Discipline: Not being distracted by "cosmetic issues"
    3. Discipline: Trying (and failing) to ignore Arlo's feminine sexiness
    4. Discipline: Trusting your instincts
    5. Discipline: Staying brave in the face of a flight of dragons
    6. Etiquette: Providing a comforting arm around a woman's waist
    7. Etiquette: Don't piss into the wind
    8. Leadership: Doing what is right for your kingdom
    9. Leadership: Commanding troops to take defense against a dragon attack
    10. Leadership: Calling out dangers to a ship crew
    11. Leadership: Using your female power voice
    12. Logistics: Pondering on the near impossibility of a romp with triplet sisters
    13. Nalos Ability - Flow of Morale: Sometimes boosting the morale of others can have unintended results
    14. Politics: Sometimes you marry even if you don't want to
    15. Navigation: The stars in Nadika's story
    16. Seduction: Complimenting Arlo's "knockers. an' curves an' child bearin' hips"
    17. Seduction: Kissing a girl and liking it
    18. Teaching: Teaching a girl about her female power voice
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards
    1. Nalos Ability: Cloud Nine
    2. Nalos Ability: Fulcrum of Fervor
    3. Necklace of the Funklewort Stars - This necklace only activates anytime that Vega is wearing it and the stars are in the night time sky. While activated, Vega is transformed into Lord Vega from Nadika's story. This transformation is true and complete, a full physical transformation, as well as the transformation of her clothes to the Starlight Attire worn in the story. This form maintains injuries and age separate from Vega's true body. Removing the necklace, or when the sun rises, returns Vega and her belongings to the state she was in when the necklace was activated.
Arlo
  • Skill Points - 15
  • Renown - 15
  • Skill Knowledges
    1. Acrobatics: Maintaining balance in really high heels
    2. Discipline: Maintaining one's feminine dignity
    3. Discipline: Resisting the urge to cry for almost no reason
    4. Discipline: Staying true to your true husband
    5. Endurance: Being poked in the chest hard by Lord Vega
    6. Endurance: Stumbling about in high heels
    7. Etiquette: Seeking forgiveness even when it isn't needed
    8. Koriel Ability - Wave Crash (Minor): Undermining a rogue wave with a well placed, lesser wave
    9. Koriel Ability - Healing Aura (Minor): Stitching together a busted railing
    10. Intimidation: Insulting some dragons
    11. Intimidation: Using the weight of your patron Immortals
    12. Leadership: Quashing a man's bossiness
    13. Leadership: Keeping a crew calm with orders
    14. Leadership: Calling out a failing leader
    15. Persuasion: Sticking out a pouty lip
    16. Whips (Star Whip): Whipping a dragon in the face
  • Non-Skill Knowledges
  • Items and Other Rewards
    1. Exalted Sojourn Mark
    2. Sojourn Ability: Lore Relic
    3. Sojourn Ability: Traveler's Skills III
    4. Sojourn Ability: Fight Another Day
    5. Necklace of the Funklewort Stars - This necklace only activates anytime that Arlo is wearing it and the stars are in the night time sky. While activated, Arlo is transformed into Lady Arlo from Nadika's story. This transformation is true and complete, a full physical transformation, as well as the transformation of his clothes to the Starlight Attire worn in the story. This form maintains injuries and age separate from Arlo's true body. Removing the necklace, or when the sun rises, returns Arlo and his belongings to the state he was in when the necklace was activated.

Final Notes

If you have any questions, please PM me.

Code: Select all

[center][img]http://standingtrials.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=39&image_id=12064[/img][/center]
word count: 873

Return to “Yaralon”