Complete Goodbye, Athart (Graded)

Azrael makes departure arrangements for him & Yeva and the two embark on a ship to Scalvoris.

This area is unmoderated. Please click on "Forum Rules" at the top of this page or go to the "Unmoderated Areas" forum to see the rules for playing here.
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Goodbye, Athart (Graded)

110 Vhalar 719

"You want what?"

"Passage on.... Scalvoris by Cylus... Need...Can you help?"

"Her?"

Yeva kept her eyes on the book before her, rereading the page in an effort to feign that she had not been trying to eavesdrop. Nevertheless Azrael and his compatriot were speaking in hushed, Lorien voices, most of which she couldn't make out anyway. Still, to be caught spying in front of another Avriel? Azrael would have no other choice but to punish her. She tried to focus on the page of the book:
The Lady's Mantle

The role of this plant is reflected in its nickname - "A Lady's Best Friend" as it may regulate a woman's blooding, climacteric (menopause), and clear inflammation of female organs.

Medicinal:
WHOLE PLANT (Green parts only): Infuse and use as a mouth rinse after tooth extraction and for diarrhea.
LEAF: Concoct for a compress for healing wounds and inflammation.
She copied this to her notebook in an effort to ease its memorization. Knowing a common plant that could help women during their time of the season would be valuable, even to herself. She continued while Azrael produced a bag of coin, noting some more information on the next page about the best sunlight conditions for growing it yourself, as well as its natural habitat and commonly found regions:
Balm of Gileia

This plant, discovered in the desert regions of Idalos has an unnatural and masculine "musk" that has been used to give depth to perfumes. The leaf buds exude a balsamic scent and has been used to treat coughs and sore throats.

Medicinal:
LEAF: Buds are considered to be a stimulant and antiseptic. When used in creams they may relieve arthritic pain, cuts and bruises. The buds contain a substance called salicin, which is useful in relieving minor aches and pains.

In the wild, it may grow as tall as 125 feet, but in cultivation, it tends to grow shorter. Numerous dwarf cultivars also are available...
"Yeva," Azrael had turned to face her while his business partner held a bag of coins in his hand, the sound of talons counting, "Pack your things. We're leaving."

Now?

She searched his face in an effort to decipher what he meant - had they booked the passage? Did his mean this very trial? Yeva jumped up from her spot in the corner and snapped her books closed, rushing to do as she was told while the questions in her mouth were caged and forced to fester. Azrael snapped a few orders, demanding that she pack correctly, or else face his wrath. This time described as a thin reed promised to whip her bloody if she diddled. It was a graphic image, but then again, this was Athart.

Azrael narrowed his eyes at her and Yeva went to fetch the traveling chest.
Last edited by Yeva on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total. word count: 474
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Goodbye, Athart

110 Vhalar 719

Azrael was ruthless in the company others. He was prone to displays of anger, often snatching and dragging her around, speaking to her as if she were a dog rather than a person, and often raised his hand with such conviction, Yeva believed he might actually strike her. As a result, she winced often and felt an alien fear that hadn't plagued their relationship since the first seasons of its life.

Even upon the ship that was to take them to Scalvoris, he snarled and spit at her feet and Yeva felt her eyes well with tears. She wanted to shout at him, to tell him that this was enough - acting or not, he crossed several lines - but she knew he did so for her protection. He couldn't risk their secret being discovered before they could get her out of the city, safe and away from real Avriel masters who would be more than eager than to get their talons on her. Some Avriel, Azrael had warned, enjoyed breaking slaves. They liked crushing the willpower from their possessions and he believed a few of his equals suspected his softness for Yeva. That scared him.

Those who had known Azrael in his youth had witnessed a savagery Yeva had yet to wrap her mind around. Azrael could be callous, irritable and downright bratty when he did not get his way, but outright hateful? Now the medic was beginning to understand.

She struggled with dragging the chest, loaded with all their possessions, upon the deck. The corner got caught upon a board at the loading bay and try as she might, pulling and pushing, the container refused to move. Upon the deck, Azrael talked to another Avriel in Lorien, pausing to see her struggle. He cursed her, adding a warning that if she did not succeed, she would face a wrath that would make Syroa look merciful.

Yeva apologized, red faced as she pushed harder, unable to stop the tears that burst from her eyes. She was tired. Physically, mentally, emotionally. She barely processed the watery blur that stormed towards her, falling back at the cracking of a whip against the wooden chest, narrowly missing where her fingers had gripped its handles. Bits of woods splintered and flicked against her chest, "Look at me!" Azrael shouted.

Beside him, the other Avriel with wings like a blue jay, watched with a predator's smile, "This one is useless, Stormwing."

Azrael turned his nose up, scowling. Still, the other bird blood continued to berate the girl. Yeva wiped at her cheeks, soaked from her tears. The foreign tongue she heard was confusing and it scared her, "Seket told me you keep her around only to warm your bed. At first I doubted her, but now, seeing how weak you've become-"

Yeva saw Azrael's jaw clench and while she met his eye, his fury cracked. Not at her, but at the other man's words. Still, it was the redhead who would bear the pain. Azrael pulled back and backhanded her with such force, Yeva stumbled in shock and damage. Agony splintered across the side of her face and she nearly went falling back into the water, catching herself against the vessel's railing. She clutched her face, only partially aware of the sound of the chest being moved aboard beyond the ringing of her ear.

The other Avriel that had been watching laughed. Azrael pretended to unbothered by his abuse, holding the whip meanacingly. A silent promise for the others to witness, "Get out of my sight." he growled.

Yeva cried loudly and went running towards stairs leading to the lower level. She knew where the sleeping quarters were, and where he would expect her to be waiting. Blinded as the bright light of the sun turned into dim lanterns, she sobbed and leaned against the wall as she winded through the corridor towards their room. He had struck her. Berated her. Abused her.

Athart had been like nothing she had expected.

She reached the room and threw herself inside, locking the door behind her. It didn't matter, Azrael was the one who held the key, but the defiant action made her feel better. As if to let him know he had crossed a line when she couldn't find the words. Yeva stumbled, dazed with pain still nipping her check. Her skin felt hot where he had struck her and she fell upon the small cot and cried into the pillow, spit and snot running down her face. She cried until her nose stuffed and a headache pulsed inside her head, listening to the calls of sailors as the finally orders before shipping were called.

Something heavy was dropped outside the door and she heard the doorknob turn and catch. It rattled and stopped, a deep sigh following.

"Yeva."

She said nothing, hiding her face in the pillow. Strands of copper clung to her wet face.

"Yeva, open the door."

No.

He waited. Her footsteps did not appear to be crossing the room.

Yeva listened to more movement and then the whisper of metal touching metal as he pushed the key into the lock and clicked it open. Shortly after, his silhouette appeared in the opened doorway and he pulled the chest after him. Once the door was closed behind him, he neatly tucked his wings and turned to her, "I didn't want to hurt you."

"Go away."

"Yeva, I wouldn't have done that if I didn't fear they might take you from me. We are so close to getting away from Athart, I-"

"Leave me alone!"

He grew quiet and then she felt his shadow standing over her, "Yeva..." His hand brushed her shoulder and she twisted, swinging her hands and trying to hit whatever part of him she could. How dare he treat her like that! How dare he hit her! They were supposed to be friends.

"I trusted you!" she screamed, crying with renewed vigor, "You were supposed to take care of me! You humiliated me! You... You!"

He stiffed and absorbed her blows, catching her wrists as she bucked and tried to pull away from him. He said nothing, even as she growled and shouted, "We're not friends!" she tried to kick at him but his weight soon followed as he pinned her beneath him, "Let me go!" she cried, "Let me go!" Her mouth tasted of salt, "I hate you!"

Her energy drained quickly, admitted when she could not longer fight and simply cried like a wounded animal, weak and deflated in his grip.

"I hate myself too," he whispered in Lorien, pressing his forehead against her shoulder, "I'm sorry."

"I don't care!"

He ignored her protests, which varied and continued long after the ship sounded its bell and had pulled away from port, laying next to her while her chest heaved and she waited for the betrayal she felt to pass. At last, the tension in her body faded, leaving a very tired woman in its wake. Azrael rubbed the soft skin where he had held her wrists, a silent plea for her ear. When she didn't immediately try to push him away, he took it as a good sign.

"I should never have brought you to Athart. This plan was foolish."

He had said as much when she had begged to be brought to the jungle city. Had she really believed it would have been some sort of vacation? An adventure? The whole visit had been one debacle after another and he had known it. The desperate apology in his voice rolled across her shoulder as he nestled beside her, his white wing lifting to partially drape across her waist. Yeva rolled on her side, facing away from him and he pulled her against him, whispering against her hair.

"Please forgive me," he pleaded, so uncharacteristic to such a proud man. An apology was practically miraculous, but she wouldn't be swayed so easily. She didn't like being treated like that. Period. The added audience, and its laughter, had only deepened her internal wounds.

"I'm taking you to Scalvoris," he promised, "Far, far away... In the Eastern lands," his hands continued to try and ease her agitation with him, rubbing her arms as if they could soothe away her disappointment, "Where slavery is illegal, and I'll never hit you again."

"That's rich," she grumbled. Had they been anyone else, she would have diagnosed classic abuse.

"I won't," he repeated again, firmly. His voice softened, "I know you don't believe me, but I will make you happier there. I will make up for this. I..."

Yeva wanted to believe him. He had always played the role of their arrangement well, yet there was only so much she could take. Yet... he had never crossed this line before. In any case where a disagreement had enraged him, he had simply separated himself from her. But he wasn't perfect. He wasn't always in control. The redhead had seen slips, but he had never taken them out on her.

He had made a mistake.

Yeva turned to look over her shoulder at the silver eyes that widened in hope. Azrael held his breath, waiting.

"If you ever hit me again like that, I'll never forgive you."

He sighed in relief, squeezing her tighter. He pressed his face into her neck, "If I ever hit you again like that," he whispered, finding her hand and lacing their fingers together, "I'll never forgive myself."
► Show Spoiler
word count: 1663
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: Goodbye, Athart

Player Name: Yeva

Points awarded: 10 xp
Magic xp: none

Knowledge:

Gardening
How to Grow & Utilize: Lady's Mantle
How to Grow & Utilize: Balm of Gileia

Unarmed Combat
Getting Assaulted By Someone You Trust Hurts The Worst
The Frustration of Running Out of Strength At a Critical Moment
Unfocused & Wild Attacks Are Easily Subdued
Recovering After Get Struck in the Face

Non-Skill Knowledge
Lorien
The Common Sounds of Lorien
Used by Avriel [Masters]

Renown:
Loot:
IC: Plant Notes

OOC: Image Medal for giving me goosebumps.
Injuries/Overstepping: Old injuries, but the trauma will sometimes prompt Yeva to flinch when another makes sudden quick movements toward her. At least until she gets some dedicated psychological treatment for it.
Wealth Points: no
Consequences: no

Skill Review: All Skills used appropriately to PC's level
Notes: Poor Yeva. I really wonder though, what the (then) naive girl expected when her avriel friend offered to take her to Athart, a city I presume she knew some of the history/culture of. Still, it's a really heartwrenching scene when he attacks her and later tries to make up for it. But really nothing he could do from that point would even begin to repay what he did to her.

It was a very emotional thread. Still, It was well written and I enjoyed the drama. I almost teared up at several points :P

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this review, feel free to PM. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 246
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Eastern: Athart”