• Placeholder • [Saoire's Dream] Winston Nin-ferret Miller

80th of Zi'da 723

Your thread has been submitted for review! See your request here.

The home to the Induk Sweetwine and populated by fairies, this enchanted forest has many secrets

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Cadouri
Profession: Groundskeeper
Renown: 751
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 7

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Saoire's Dream] Winston Nin-ferret Miller

Ninja Outfit
So this offers:
  • +1 to the Competence of the Stealth Skill when activated.
  • Dampens sound made by the wearer's movement (from Wraith grass).
  • Suppresses any odors given off by the wearer (from Veternum Plant) making then untrackable by scent by most common means.
  • Can turn all the colours of the rainbow when the cloaking is turned off.
  • A clip that can be toggles to activate the cloak.
This is all within his Alchemy (Master) competence and all things he has done before in other
cloaks
chews
and
armors
Continued from here.

From some deep alcove within the vast depths of
Chest
, echoed an almost maniacal giggling sound as Winston machinated with
Peganot glitter
, Rainbow Sand and rags of various old costumes and bandages.
"Dye, meh beauties! DYE! Hehehehehe."
There was utter delight in his voice as he set about dipping the rags in the alchemical broth and
installing them with everything a sneak needed

Ever since Woe had left and he had discovered the need to find a crew of his own for his clandestine ships, he had been talking with [get-post=202962 excerpt=NPC: Felicity]Felicity[/get-post] about how best to achieve this without drawing attention to himself.

She had insisted that he just needed to avoid being obvious, observe and approach and perhaps speak to a few people he trusted the most to get some insider information.

Winston's mind instantly went to a place of high nija fantasy as he started to read books from Saoire's Dream's library on the subject, using pictures and paintings to create his new look. He even discovered some references to smoke and other types of mild explosives... mostly in fiction novels... that allowed people to vanish from view in a puff of smoke.

This entertained his whimsy so powerfully that he had set to create some glitter-bombs straight away. Taking a slightly new angle at his
explosive rainbow pellets
, he added in a little glitter from the Peganot and imbued the explosives with a talc-powdery consistency, which was triggered by the impact caused during the explosive combustion.

While they solidified into usable pellets, he drew out the rags he had been soaking to dry.
"Hehehehe. Oh dear mun. Felicity es gonna LOVE dis."
word count: 380

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

Winston usually carries the following on his person:
  • Cassion's Locket hangs snugly around his neck.
  • Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Winston's Cold Cycle 723 PLACEHOLDER 2

Felicity
did not love this.

As they snuck down the hall in Saoire's Dream, tucking himself to the wall and remaining in the shadows, he scurried along towards the Thunderbustle abode.

"You didn't need a COSTUME."
She berated, as they moved along the wall.

"But all de spies and ninja's me read about 'ave deese kinda tings."
Protested the ferret telepathically.

Winston and Felicity were exorcising a mutually beneficial arrangement on a semi-regular basis these trials. Through a symbiotic possession, the two of them shares one body. It was a very safe practice for Winston, as the Wisps anchor, he could assert control at will, however through the arrangement, he could gain insight into a wide range of languages and espionage techniques that he could not even begin to imagine without her and she, of course, got the opportunity to 'feel'.

"Really? They do? And are all of them technicoloured?"
She asked sharply.

The ferret struggled to suppressed giggle and froze for a moment to make sure he was not heared.
"Well noh. Dat wus jost me own personal 'flair'. An anyway, et's only like dat when we WANT tuh be seen. An do yuh 'ave ANY idea..."
He stopped at an intersection, waiting for the people passing across the way to turn their back for a moment.
"...any idea 'ow impassible et es far a one foot tall talkin' ferret tuh nat be recagnised AN SIGHT? Hm?"

She had to admit, she hadn't ever met any other talking ferrets before and so a hat and sunglasses almost certainly wasn't going to cut it.
"OK, point taken."

The door to Horatio's and Millicent's home was of course shut. He reached up to nock the low-hanging nocker.
"NO! They'll be expecting someone short if you nock there. Knock the higher one, go on, your sprighly enough. It'll mislead them."
He nodded, to himself, and leapt up to grab the larger knocker.

"Yuh know we LIKE dese guys, right?"
He queried has he let the knocker knock.

"Of course, but if she sees us, then other may SEE her seeing us and draw attention."
He/they pressed themselves up against the door waiting for it to be opened.

"Ahhhhhh, misdirecshuns."

Sure enough, the lady of the house herself opened it and looked around in puzzlement as the ferret, whom was much shorter than she and pressed up against the bottom of the door, passed behind her and into the dwelling, all but invisible and certainly soundless.

"Hello? Who's..."
She sighed.
"Well I never. Trying to cook here don't you know."
She complained quietly to herself, as she closed the door and made her way back into the kitchen.
word count: 460

Appearance

When standing at his full height, Winston towers a full 1 foot and one blueberry tall. A fact he will happily demonstrate before flicking said blue orb into the air with his nose and then eating it with a snappy grin.

His eyes are dark and sharp, ringed by dark brown fur upon the bright white fur that sets off across the rest of his face.

Equipement

• Winston's Fairy Bell hangs from his tool-belt attached to his hip. It's 'ringer' is often bound by a small piece of cloth to prevent it giving away his position while in the wilderness.
Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Shuffling quietly around the immaculately clean home, he found his way to
Horatio's
study and slipped inside.

He was flicking his way through some paperwork and tapping his pen on the rim of his cup as he considered something very carefully.

"Pssst. Horatio..."

"By the grace of... What the dickens?! Who goes there?"
He said as the pen flew over his should, impaling a broad-leafed pot plant with razor-sharp precision.

"Wow. Horatio, calm down, ets me..."
Winston said, clicking the clip, turning rainbow coloured and holding out his arms in surrender.
"Wait-what!"
He spun around to look at the interloper.
"Halty there! You.. rapscalion. I have a pen you know and I'm NOT afraid to.... Oh."
He looked as the empty hand he was brandishing int he small person's direction.
"Oh. Bother. Seems I don't have a pen any more... but I did! And, and when I find it again, I'll... Ffffwoooor. You'll GET it then. I tell you."

"Does he always talk like that?"
Asked the Wisp in his mind.

Winston smiled before realising he still had his hood and makeshift mask up. Lowering them both slowly, he gave his friend an apologetic wave.
"By Saoire's flying turtle, my boy. You'll be liable to give a chap a heart attack doing things like THAT."
He scolded the fellow Cadouri in a friendly, but quite genuine fashion.
"What on earth are you doing, old chum? And what's with the... get-up?"

"See? He's your friend and even HE thinks we look ridiculous."
Scolded Felicity with vindication in her tone.

"Sarry pal, meh did nat mean tuh frighten yuh, bot meh get a matta of utmost secrecy and impartance tuh talk to yuh about."
word count: 296

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Horatio
looked at the door, as if it might suddenly have developed the ability to hear.
"Oh I say, sounds very serious, old boy."
He started looking for his pen as Melicent called up from the kitchen.

"Is everything OK my love?"

"Yes! Yes, everything is fine, just tumbled another ink well."
He replied, certain he'd need to do some better explaining later when Winston had gone and she probed further into his obvious cover story.

"Well? Come on ol' bean, spill..."
He plucked the pen from the plant with a slight expression of regret as he attempted to tidy the holy leaf back into place... without success.

"Lady Saoire wanted some sheps, right? Well, me gat dem outside."
He began plainly.

"Oh-yes. Good show, what. Good show."
He replied, in unnecessarily hushed tones.

"Well, de prablem es, dem don't 'ave eny crews yet an me need tuh find some A. S. A. P. an' me don't really know 'ow tuh start."
He started to walk over to the desk as Horatio began to sit, checking the nib of his quill for damage.

"Well I say, yes, that is quite the pickle isn't it. What with ships needing sailors to sail and what not."

"He waffles quite a bit doesn't he."
Observed
Felicity
objectively.

"Well, me wus 'opin' dat yuh might be able tuh 'elp me wid dis?"
Asked the ferret hopefully as he hopped up onto the table to see his friend eye to eye.

"Yeeeess. Well, we DO have the occasional sailor come through and there are of course the sailing lessons, but I'm not really sure a class of novices is going to be what you need. No?"
He turned his chair to a cabinet, from which he took a set of files, thought which he began to thumb.

"Yeah. I mean, far now, me jost need peepal tuh sail de sheps. Once de oddas fram de meeting af de 'eart 'ave 'ad a chance tuh get involved, dem will sharly 'ave some talented peepal tuh take dem intuh battle, ef dat's wat we doh wid dem... bot et gat tuh remain a secret Horatio. We can't let de pirates know about dem until WE want dem tuh know about dem."

Apparently listening to every work he said, the Champion of Saoire nodded absent mindedly as he extracted a few sheets of parchment from the files with an air of triumph.
word count: 413

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The
master in all things Saoire
and so all things mentorship gave the ferret a pile of papers.
"Here you are, dear boy."

There were quite a few. Lists of classes and names and some were just numbers without any idea of who the attendees might even be.
"Some of the classes take drop-ins, but you should have plenty to work with there."
His words were laboured and distracted as he held back one particular sheet.

Winston craned his neck to try and see what he was looking at.
"Wassat?"
It was never going to be the ones he was given that would be of most interest to him.

"Something about this one stands out."
Horatio replied as he handed it to the rainbow-coloured nin-ferret.

Taking it eagerly, he scanned the text... It appeared to be a single, languishing student, that had been attending classes in various things and failing them all for seasons. He didn't quite understand what was of such great interest at this stage, but knew without a shadow of a doubt, that if Horatio thought it was interesting that it would be.
"Dem need 'elp?"

Horatio tilted his head slightly to one side as if to suggest the remark was a little off base, but not entirely wrong.
"You could say that."
He turned to begin putting the other sheets of paper back into their rightful place.
"Bit of an oddity that one, there. You get them from time to time, you know? But it's very uncommon for someone to fail THAT consistently for THAT long in SO MUCH all at once... Her grades are never bad enough to warrant giving up entirely, but look..."
He turned back and pointed at the grades the individual had attained.
"All grades consistently JUST short of success, without exception."

"OOOOoooooo..."
He was beginning to understand the point being made.

"Such a thing is either an anomaly or a considerable achievement in deliberate sabotage."
He concluded with an air of intrigue.
"Whatever the case, dear boy, I trust you to make the right call on the matter. Saoire has, I must say, said nothing but good things about you, my boy. She has felt quite able not to concern herself with the provision of ships and I see no reason not the continue to leave this affair entirely in your capable hands."
He proclaimed with a bright smile and a pat on the back.

Winston blushed.
"Awwwww, shucks chief. Dats mighty nice tuh 'ear."
He spread out the papers and between them they took some notes of the most pertinent names, times and classes for Winston to scurry away with.

After a few rounds of revisions, Winston tucked the information into his bag and nodded.
"Righty-oh. Me most be af."
He hopped down to the floor with a smile.
"Rememba! Me was neva 'ere."
He said, with a wave of his hand across his face and an air of mystery.

Horatio nodded.
"Mum's the word, old chap. Pip-pip!"

And with that, Winston took a wide stance, placed one hand on the floor and held the other up in the air, grasping one of his smoke pellets. Just like he imagined a ninja would. Then he threw the pellet at the ground at his feet.
"Woo-cha-uuuurgggh-"
*chough*-*cough*
"-bloody-mask-botha..."
He sputtered as the glitter and smoke was inhaled.

Felicity
despaired, less than silently inside his head.
"Oh my god. You are such a dufus. Can I take over yet? PLEASE."

At which point he stumbled off to one side and recovered as he pulled up his mask and composed himself with an embarrassed little *ehem* sound and holding up a hand with one finger extended.

His friend, Horatio the infinitely patient, waited with a slight smile.

"Oh-key.. Lets try dat again"
He assumed the position once more and this time, mask up and expecting the smoke, his created another puff of smoke as he switched on his cloaking and made his way off out of the room.

He was gone all of ten bits before, as Horatio was trying to work out how to clean up the rainbow glitter, he snuck back into the room and rather sheepishly asked Horatio if he would mind letting him out of the apartment.
word count: 722

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A few trials passed as he traversed the halls of Saoire's Dream and availed himself very discreetly of a few classes.

Meanwhile,
Shinwa
and
Felicity
had been deployed to making contact with
the Wisp network Faith had left behind
to discern whether there was anyone willing to be stationed aboard the ships for the purpose of providing support in clandestine affairs.

Shinwas had informed him that while possible to anchor a ghost to a ship, it took time and that was not something they had oodles of right now, but nonetheless, the sooner they got things started, the better.

Currently, he was watching the failing student, whose name was Rwen, swinging her leg back and forth over the edge of the gang-plank during a lesson on basic nortical concepts. She appeared to be paying no attention at all, was not answering any questions unless forced and then usually reeled off the correct answer in a disinterested fashion.

"Do we want a lay-about on the crew?"
Asked his symbiotically possessing companion, Felicity.

"Well, noh. Bot she spent most af 'er marning readin' en de library about Rharne."

"She's an Eidisi. They are usually pretty driven by learning new things. But she shows no interest in any of her classes."

"Well, me wud vencha a guess an' say dat non af dis es 'new' to 'er."
He watched as the young woman read some notes she had in her hand.
"Which raises de quest-shun. Why es dem 'ere?"
It wasn't entirely a rhetorical question, as the two of them had done quite a bit of digging around with Horatio's support and her education was being funded by her father with her graduating goal being for her to return home to progress in some kind of clerical pursuit.

"Well, if she wanted not to be here, looks like she could just pass her tests and go home."
Observed Felicity, as she pieced together the evidence they had.

Winston smiled.
"Exactly! Which means, she does nat want to go 'ome. Which only leaves why she wants tuh be 'ere."
word count: 352

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The class moved on to some knot tying as they watched. Rwen tied and untied hers deftly, apparently doing several different kinds of knot quite easily before eventually, moments before the instructor arrived to check on her progress, left the final attempt half finished and loosely bound. The instructor gave it a glance only for a moment before moving on. "It's only your own time that you waste in not trying, Ms Helumni." They said as they moved on to the next in line. It seemed that the instructor had accepted that the only thing preventing them from progressing was their own desire not to.

"Only my father's..."
She said to herself in such a way that meant Winston only just caught it from him cubby-hole aboard the ship.

"Childhood rebellion?"
Suggested Winston telepathically to his co-inhabiting Wisp.

"Bit old for daddy issues, no?"
Felicity
replied sourly.

Winston chuckled.
"Yuh neva too old far daddy issues."
He remarked as he ducked back into the shadows as the instructor called a halt to the class.

"Our time is done for totrial class. Remember, you need to practice knots three through seven and don't let me hear that any of you are late for practice again." She concluded, with an eyeball on Rwen.

The woman (for she was not a girl, even if there was some kind of issue with her father) stood and hopped off the ship with no trouble that suggested there was a reason she'd not do well in her physical activities classes.

Winston followed her back to the library, where, once again, she set about the study of things she had no actual classes in.

"OK. Me tink me gat 'er numba."
Asserted the ferret as they sat and watched.
"Cun me take ova?"

Felicity relented control willingly of Winston's body, not that she had much choice, however it was nice to be asked.
word count: 323

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The class moved on to some knot tying as they watched. Rwen tied and untied hers deftly, apparently doing several different kinds of knot quite easily before eventually, moments before the instructor arrived to check on her progress, left the final attempt half finished and loosely bound. The instructor gave it a glance only for a moment before moving on. "It's only your own time that you waste in not trying, Ms Helumni." They said as they moved on to the next in line. It seemed that the instructor had accepted that the only thing preventing them from progressing was their own desire not to.

"Only my father's..."
She said to herself in such a way that meant Winston only just caught it from him cubby-hole aboard the ship.

"Childhood rebellion?"
Suggested Winston telepathically to his co-inhabiting Wisp.

"Bit old for daddy issues, no?"
Felicity
replied sourly.

Winston chuckled.
"Yuh neva too old far daddy issues."
He remarked as he ducked back into the shadows as the instructor called a halt to the class.

"Our time is done for totrial class. Remember, you need to practice knots three through seven and don't let me hear that any of you are late for practice again." She concluded, with an eyeball on Rwen.

The woman (for she was not a girl, even if there was some kind of issue with her father) stood and hopped off the ship with no trouble that suggested there was a reason she'd not do well in her physical activities classes.

Winston followed her back to the library, where, once again, she set about the study of things she had no actual classes in.

"OK. Me tink me gat 'er numba."
Asserted the ferret as they sat and watched.
"Cun me take ova?"

Felicity relented control willingly of Winston's body, not that she had much choice, however it was nice to be asked.
word count: 323

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Waiting for a moment for when others were not around, Winston let the cloak down and stepped into view of the woman with a casual wave of his hand at the fingers.

As he spoke, he attempted to adopt a false voice, using Vega's lexecon and lilt in place of his own.
"Watcha. Ya do a lot of reading about other places then?"
He specifically spoke in
Scalveen
and didn't sound like Vega, of course, but his only goal was not to sound like himself, so that was fine.

Rwen eye-balled the foot-tall interloper of her 'me time' with an incredulous glare.
"What? Who are you?"

Winston sat on his haunches atop the table beside her, just outside what might be perceived as a threat.
"I'm a person buildin' a crew for a ship that will sale the seas across the whole of Idalos in search of people in need."
He said, bluntly with a smile she could not see.

She paused for a moment as she disseminated that information around the various parts of her brain she needed to in order to decide whether he was insane, full of rubbish or just pranking her... the possibility that he might actually be telling he truth seemed like the last and least likely option.
"You... Why are you tell ME this?"
She said, closing her booked, which it turned out was a study of the maps of the Scalvaris islands.

"Ya seem like ya don't much like the idea of going home, but have a hunger for seeing the unseen?"

She continued to hold the diminutive proferer of forbidden temptations in her gaze as she pushed the book away from herself. Whomever they were, they seemed to know her better than she liked.
"And you think I'll join your crew?"
She said, a little accusingly.

He shrugged.
"What I think dont matter one flibbady-jiggins. But I certainly HOPE ya will."
He said with his most casual and charmingly honest tone. He was going to convince her to give it a try at the very least.

"Say I do? What's the catch?"

"Ya can't tell ya pah."
He watched as her eyebrow twitched with interest.
"In fact, I'd be askin' ya not to tell a sole. You'll get paid. You'll get trained. And best of all; You'll get to see the world."

She licked her lips. She liked the idea that she would not be telling her father... Though she was fairly sure this small 'person' probably knew that.
"And what assurances do I have?"

The nin-ferret shrugged.
"None. Ya life will still be ya own. Ya can leave any time ys please and I cant promise it will be safe."

She swallowed...
"And my classes here?"

"If ya need it, for a season or two we can keep reports ticking over. But after that, ya need to deal with ya own situation, if ya choose to stay."

It really was too good to believe, but by the hind legs of a dragon of fortune it was also too good to simply pass up.
"OK. How?"

"Meet Gilly at the docks at dawn and we'll introduce you to the crew."
And with that, he droped a pellet in front of himself and rolled backwards off the tabletop and landed without a sound on the floor. Activating the cloak on his suite, he set off before she recovered enough to began to look under the table.
word count: 589

Appearance

Equipement

Winston
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Rwen was not the only person he found. On the information given to him by Horatio, Winston managed to convince more than a dozen or so Cadouri to join the cause. Furthermore, they had found a few Wisps that had the requisite skills to sail aboard ship. THey just needed to get them on the ship some how. This was a challenged for another day though.

It was all coming up roses for him at the moment as he made his way along a wall towards his next acquisition.

He'd just sent half a dozen Rat Cadouri to the randevou details. These were of particular interest for their eclectic woodworking and logistics skills. They were a regular service provider for Saoire's Dream, running shipments to and fro for arcs. Horatio had suggested that their ability to 'handle delicate deliveries with discretion', as he put it, was second to none.

What he still desperately needed, were captains... even just ONE would do for now.
"You know this disguise is fooling nobody? Lets get something more suitable."

Winston shook their head.
"Noh way mun. Et's workin' a treat. We need a couple mare crew membas and some captains an we 'ave a skeleton crew!"

Felicity despaired silently for a bit as she dropped them down to the deck of a fishing boat moored at the far end of the dock. She was certain that these people had to know who he was, otherwise there were a lot if lunatics here willing to go on secret suicide missions ont he word of a rat in a suit that looked like it was a toddler's art project.

They were heading for one of the lecturers, retired from service, that Saoire's Dream had encouraged to run lessons in exchange for free moorings and lodgings. The captain availed himself of the prior and used the latter for storage, opting to continue to live aboard his small fishing boat.

The two of them (as one) crept up to the hatch that lead to the meger cabin space in which the man lived.
"Dis one es gonna be 'ard. 'im nat a big fan af interlopers by al accounts, soh me might jost knock dis time."

He reached out and rapped his knuckles on the hatch and waited.
word count: 385

Appearance

Equipement

Your thread has been submitted for review! See your request here.

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Sweetwine Woods”