[Haven] It's About Damn Time....

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus, Avalon, Vulpes

Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: +710
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 31

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Haven] It's About Damn Time....

Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:21 am

Arc 721, 38 Saun

Elisabeth grinned softly in response to Darius' laughter. Viden had been the start of their friendship and a simpler time for both. It felt like a lifetime had passed since, but the apparent affection both felt for the other seemed to endure, and for that, the young woman was grateful. "Of course not, but the silver lining there is I will never forget the first trials of our friendship, Beyond memorable, to say the least."

The Videnese woman knew her face had lit up at the thought of snow and ice – it always did. The experience of snow was something she had and always would cherish. Few people shared her child-like wonder and fascination with it, but that was alright. In her eyes, everyone needed something like that to remind them of the simple things in life.

"I've found that everywhere I go, each city means something a bit different to me," she began, smiling warmly at him. "Viden is where I grew up, and I will always be fond of it. Rharne opened my eyes to a larger world. Scalvoris, a bit of a tricky beast it is. A lot has happened here, and some of it I'm still coming to terms with." Separating what had happened in Scalvoris to her and Scalvoris itself was something the young woman was still working on.

It was evident that the two had similar outlooks regarding their friendship and their work with the settlements. There was no reason for Haven and Hopetoun not to be strengthened by the strong friendship forged between Elisabeth and Darius.

She arched her eyebrow gently as he leaned into his bag, curious to see what he had in mind. After pulling out the flask, Darius explained about the beer made from Faldrass potatoes. "A brewer, you say?" She had entertained the idea of learning the concept of brewing, but other things had taken priority. "Ah yes," she remarked. "We found that potato at the old Haven site, in the woods. I'm curious how it translates into beer."

Taking the cup, the young woman sniffed it a bit. Coming from Viden, drinking wasn't something she had done much of before living in Rharne. Almost all of Elisabeth's drinking was done with Balthazar, and he didn't drink much anymore. Occasionally, she would have a glass of champagne at a social event, but it wasn't a craving of hers.

Still, Elisabeth was happy to drink with Darius and toast to their friendship and the future of Haven and Hopetoun. "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget. To our friendship, and Haven and Hopetoun!"

Even if she didn't have a lot to compare it to, the beer was quite good. It was odd drinking a warm beer, but pleasant. "Thank you for the beer. One of these trials, I'd love to learn more about that process."

They had toasted and had snacks. In Elisabeth's estimation, it was time to get down to business, and she had a few things she wanted to let him know. "I think I should probably tell you that after the events of the Forging, and then the situation where Balthazar and I were whisked off to Rynmere, I decided to bring up the idea to the settlers of an emergency council. By settlement vote, three Haven settlers were chosen to step up and assist Haven should I go missing again. The settlers conveyed to me that they felt a bit of stability, in that way, would be helpful, and since I can't guarantee that it won't happen again, I agreed, and they voted."

She was curious what he would have to say about that, but there was another matter as well. "Also, in the event of my disappearance, I've left instructions for a few things to occur. Balthazar, if he is not in the settlement, is to be contacted, and a runner is to be dispatched to Hopetoun to inform you of my absence."

Grinning softly, she continued. "In the event of you having vanished as well, they will simply inform your people that the same has occurred in Haven since I think we both can agree that life here is a bit unpredictable."

word count: 739
Darius Baer
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: +680
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 am

"Aye," Darius chuckled in agreement, "not an introduction to be easily forgotten...or the reunion, for that matter."

The memory of when Darius had quite literally run into the brunette - an incident that had since seen him affectionately labelled as 'Ox' - was not going to be easily forgotten, so he reasoned that he'd might as well embrace it.

He listened intently as Elisabeth spoke of the different cities she had spent time in, and what each one meant to her. It was not an experience he had shared, and that made it all the more interesting to him.

"Scalv has always been my home," he responded, "and although I've been to Viden and Rharne, I'm not sure if I could ever feel the same way about them."

He paused for a trill, lost in thought.

"Although Faldrass and Ishallr are very different from each other and from the main island," he acknowledged with a shrug. "And they all feel like home to me."

It was only as the two cups met each other with a solid thunk - and Elisabeth made her own impressive toast - that Darius remembered that Viden was a (mostly) dry city, and the beauteous brunette might not keen on the taste of alcohol. That concern appeared to be short-lived, however, and the conversation shifted to brewing.

"I've only gleaned a few of the basics," he grinned as he wiped some froth from his bearded upper lip, "but I've enjoyed the tasting phase!"

Elisabeth spoke of an emergency council that she had set up within Haven. Darius nodded as he listened.

"That's a very good idea," he quickly decided, "and proof that you are a better leader than you give yourself credit for. I have no such safety net in place in Hopetoun, but I think it would be worthwhile setting up something similar there. And I will issue instructions that if something should happen to me, a missive will get sent to Haven."

Leaning across, Darius picked up a piece of food and began to eat it, relaxing in the comfort of good company. But hadn't finished eating when a proposal came to mind.

"I had to sail here," he said as he swallowed what he was eating, "because it is the easiest and quickest way to get here from Hopetoun. But if we were to build a road between the two settlements, people would be able to travel much more quickly and safely than they can currently."

He paused for a few trills, hoping to gauge Elisabeth's reaction to his suggestion.

"We've already built a road from Hopetoun to Smooglenuff Manor, and we could branch off that, if we needed to."
word count: 463
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Renown: +710
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:56 pm

Arc 721, 38 Saun

Their conversation turned to more business-like matters, which was okay with Elisabeth. They had to get some work done during the time together, and even though she could think of few things more enjoyable than a simple afternoon, chatting away with Darius, the pair had responsibilities.

The blond man complimented her on the idea of the Emergency Council, to which she smiled and nodded her head towards the settlement proper. "I listened to them, and I've found that in doing soon, we've not made many bad decisions. They were concerned about the frequency of my 'vanishings,' and after a discussion, we voted on a three-member council."

Biting her lip gently, she lowered her voice, casting a quick look around to make sure none of the settlers were nearby before continuing, gazing over at Darius. "I had no idea how anxious they were about this little side adventures I keep getting pulled away on, but when I was talking to them, they told me that it reminded them of all the things they've lost along the way, and they are worried about my safety now too."

While the Emergency Council idea had been born of said side-trips, the rest had come when Elisabeth overstepped with Defiance in preparing the land for the farm build. The leader hadn't realized how protective the settlers were over her until that moment. "I didn't realize the trauma was that intense, Darius. I feel like a fool. I should have understood, but I feel like I'm constantly playing catch-up. Trying to get things finished and start new projects that should have been underway long ago."

Sighing softly, she grabbed a piece of meat and plopped it in her mouth, considering her words. In a way, despite the settlers being protective of her, she felt like the one constantly pacing about, worrying about them and if she was doing enough for them, especially when they needed her to be a little more on her game, mindful of their needs. Even the change of leadership Haven endured had been something of a loss, as quick and seamless as it had been.

Darius then brought up the idea of a road. She had been aware of the one from Hopetoun to the new Manor, and a road was on her never-ending list of things to do. Her mind quickly went to work on the idea, considering what he had said. "I have been planning to do just that – a road that is. I admit my initial thought was to build a road from Haven to the southern dock, but I'm aware that the road you speak of does that as well, so I think it makes sense to have the road from Haven just plug into the nearest point. The most cost-effective too."

Of course, that brought up the matter of money. All things cost money. "I'm unsure how much a road such as that would cost, but I would be willing to pay for it out of my own pocket if I can." If the price were astronomical, that would be one thing, but Elisabeth preferred to pay for the road herself if she could afford it.

"I've found when it comes to settlement buildings, many things depend on other things getting done first. We now have space for animals with the farm and barn done, such as horses. Animals that can draw carts and make moving larger volume items from place to place a bit easier," Elisabeth explained, giving Darius a bit of a smile. "A road would make that even easier, I'd imagine, while helping to facilitate trade between the settlements also."

word count: 642

Return to “Faldrass Island”