[Hopetoun-ish] Tempus

A small island with an active volcano, Faldrass is the home to Saoire's school and to the Faldrass Induk.

Moderators: Pegasus, Avalon, Vulpes

Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: +610
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 27

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Hopetoun-ish] Tempus

Mon May 31, 2021 4:21 pm

Arc 721, 115 Ashan

It was definitely getting a bit warm on Faldrass, which meant Elisabeth was going to have to learn to swim soon because as soon as Saun hit, she would need to live in the Hollow Sea until Vhalar swooped in. Heat and the young mage did not mix. Haven had no idea what was about to happen to it when the heat of Saun blazed in.

Luckily, there was still a bit of time before that disaster happened. The trials were pleasant, especially on the water. As the Element ship churned towards the main Faldrass dock, Elisabeth went over what she was doing on her little expedition, expertly wrangling long dark curls out of her face as she thought. Having discovered Ignis Clams on the shores of Haven, she was curious if they were somehow only on that side of the island or if the beach near Hopetoun had them too. The ship was headed to the other side of the island anyway, so she had decided to hitch a ride and spend a bit of time exploring.

“Meow?” Shattering her thoughts, Storm’s inquisition made her turn and smile, noting the ball of fur at her feet. “Yes, Sir Storm? Does thou require something?” She was aware of what he wanted, of course, bending down to pick him up. He was growing fast and yet he still enjoyed being held by the raven-haired mage. Others, not so much. Her? Yes.

With Iustitia strapped across her back, Elisabeth departed the Element ship and stepped onto the beach, letting Storm down to chase sand – a favorite pastime. Hopetoun’s part of the island was much like Haven’s. Well, mostly. The view was different but that was just semantics. The view from anywhere on the island was lovely – she just happened to prefer the view from Haven.

Walking down the beach allowed her mind to settle and thoughts to wander. Her memories still hadn’t returned from earlier in Ashan and it was beginning to wear on the young woman. She wanted to know what had happened, but the universe wasn’t apparently in a rush about informing her.

In the meantime, she had a settlement to worry about. It wasn’t her settlement but truthfully, she felt like it was. She worried and fretted over it as much as anyone, wanting the best for the settlers there. In a few trials, they were all coming back over to Hopetoun for a feast, which she was excited about, hoping it would lift some spirits and help connect the two settlements.

Up ahead, the young mage noted a large rock sticking out of the sand. Perfect. It looked to be a good place for a bit of reflection, and she was sure Storm was ‘tired’ from the boat ride over. He seemed to tire out at the littlest activity but truthfully, she thought that perhaps he just liked napping that much.

Grinning at the creature, currently chasing her feet in the sand, she put the kitten up on the rock and then hauled herself up, settling to allow Storm to curl up in her lap. Exploration and investigation could wait a bit - reflection was always a good thing. Past, present future...they all had things to teach one if they put a little effort into thinking about them.

Last edited by Elisabeth Angelus on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 4 times in total. word count: 577
Hart
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2
Medal count: 14

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Mon May 31, 2021 8:50 pm

115th Ashan, 721
The weather was lovely, and Hart was sitting on the beach where the waves met the sand, letting the waves wash over his legs and feet. It was the perfect day for the beach, the sun hot but the sand perfectly warm, and the water warmed by the sand to just about the perfect temperature. It was beach weather, water weather, and so Hart had brought the kids to the beach.

It was a poor thing, he thought momentarily, that the kids had -to his knowledge- never been to the beach before. It was a poor thing, he thought as well, that a man who had thought he was biqaj had never brought his kids to the water.

But, Hart thought, His kids were here now.

Ruari was beside him, holding onto his shoulder with one small hand. She was letting the waves wash up over her legs and feet. But whenever a wave touched the hem of her clothes, she pointed her small finger to the wave and said, "No, no water."

She didn't like the water getting her clothes wet.

Ruari pointed her finger at the waves and babbled something he didn't quite get, though from the pointed finger and how she spoke, she was letting the water know how poorly it was behaving. Hart smiled and said, pointing himself, "Look there, Ru, the water has a shell."

"A shell," Ruari said, and picked up the shell in the water.

"Hold it in the water to wash it," Hart said and she did, letting the waves wash the sand off the shell. She held it up to look at it. Ruari didn't like the water to misbehave,

Hart smiled to himself,

but she liked the sand and the shells. There was a small collection of shells in her pocket, and a handful or two of dry sand from up the beach.

Wren did like the water.

Hart and Ruari were up on the beach, where Ruari was able to walk in the waves without getting too wet; Wren was a bit deeper in. He was walking through the water, and the waves were up to his knee and sometimes up to his thigh or hip.

There was a dinili that had taken a shine to Wren earlier in the season, and the dinili loved the water. It had trundled over to the water the moment they'd gotten to the beach, snuffling and squeaking in delight. Now Wren had a hand on the dinili's back so the waves wouldn't push him over, and they were slowly getting deeper in.

Hart had told Wren not to go too deep. Wren had the dinili to hold on to, but Hart didn't know if the dinili could swim -she seemed like she could, but he didn't know- or if she could, if she could hold Wren's weight in the water. The dinili was giant, her back higher now than Wren's head, but that didn't mean that she would be able to hold him in the water, or that he'd be able to hold on.

Hart said, "Wren, don't go too deep," and Wren nodded to let him know he'd heard him. ​

They were taking a break from the water, their clothes drying in the hot sun. Hart and Wren were walking side by side on the warm, dry beach, the dinili trundling along behind them. Ruari was running down the beach, laughing when Hart and Wren had to run after her.

Wren smiled at her laughter, and Hart smiled with him.

The dinili pointed its ears at something, and Wren looked over where the dinili was pointing its ears. "Hart," he said, and pointed. There was a woman on the beach, up on some rocks, and Ruari was running over to her.

Hart ran after the small girl and she laughed, delighted. He lifted her up from the sand and into his arms.

When he looked over at the woman, the dinili had trotted up to the rocks and was snuffling and squeaking delightedly at her. "It's okay," Wren said to the woman, "She's just saying hello." The dinili squeaked.

Hart smiled. "Ruari was just saying hello, as well." The small girl looked at the woman with bright blue eyes identical to Hart's.

The young woman had been by herself; she likely wanted to be by herself. It was quiet out on the beach, and the salt wind was lovely in the heat, and the beach was good for getting away from noise; save for when there were kids and dinili running about. "We were just walking the beach," Hart said. "Sorry about the noise."

But a moment later Hart said, "Were you meaning to walk to Hopetoun?" Had he noticed the woman in Hopetoun before? "If you were meaning to walk there, I could point you in the right direction." Hart pointed down the beach in the direction that he and the kids had walked from.

"It's a bit of a walk, though," he said. "We could walk you there, if you needed?"
Notes: Because I'm bad at descriptions in the midst of writing.
  • The , at more than 40 days of age, is giant for an armadillo. She's a little more than four feet tall at the height of her back.
  • Hart, Wren, and Ruari are wearing light summery clothing, shirts and shorts. The clothing is of poor quality and they're not wearing shoes. Hart has a bag with him.
  • Hart has three marks visible.
    • Vinyza, bright in his hair;
    • Gwelliph, bright on his brow;
    • Bellinos, blackening his fingertips.
  • Hart's Fracturing is just visible through his shirt, a bluish light, because the clothing is light.
word count: 993
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Hopetoun-ish] Tempus

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Arc 721, 115 Ashan

The first threads of laughter found their way to the young mage, causing momentary curiosity. It wasn’t enough to cause the opening of eyes, but it did manage to pull her from the meditation slightly. It was a beach and a beautiful trial, and it stood to reason she wouldn’t be the only one enjoying it.

It wasn’t until the laughter came closer that she felt compelled to open her eyes, spotting a….well….she wasn’t quite sure what it was. A creature of some sort, and a young girl with brilliant red hair. Storm had opened his eyes too, standing up to give Elisabeth a curious ‘meow’ while intriguingly tilting his head at the approaching group.

Sliding down off the rock, Elisabeth turned and lifted Storm down, glancing around at her new companions with a smile. The…whatever…was sniffing around, but apparently happy about it. The young girl had been corralled by a man that she presumed was her father, just as the young boy spoke to her.

She opened her mouth to reply but by then, the young man had spoken too. Giving the creature a gentle pat, the young mage nodded to the boy with a smile and walked towards the man and child. “Neither is an issue. I enjoy meeting new people…and creatures.” Cerulean eyes sparkled with a bit of amusement as she gently held out her hand to the young girl. “Ruari, is it? It’s a pleasure to meet you, young lady. I’m Elisabeth…”

Storm, not to be outdone, gave the dinili a wide berth and had followed along behind Elisabeth, sitting down on the sand next to her and offering up his own ‘meow’ in greeting. Laughing a bit, she made the introduction. “This is Storm. He enjoys meeting new people too.”

When the man offered up an apology, the raven-hair mage simply shook her head. “You have nothing to apologize for. The beach is for everyone to enjoy and it’s a gorgeous trial.” She took note of all of them, but the only thing that stood out to her was how happy all of them seemed, which in turn warmed her heart.

She felt like, however, she had met the man before. He looked very familiar, but it was a vague sense. Had they, perhaps, been in the same place at the same time, somewhere?

The mention of Hopetoun made her smile a bit. “No, not totrial. I’ll leave Vega and Darius alone this time. I actually live in the Haven settlement.” Unsure if he would recognize the name of the settlement, she clarified. “It’s just on the other side of the Badlands. Anyways, I discovered an odd sort of clam over there and I decided to take a field trip totrial and see if I can find the same over here.”

Smiling at them all, Elisabeth’s eyes were drawn to the man’s hands, gently cradling the girl. Quickly noting the blackened nails, she realized she knew something about him – he was marked by Vri. The relationship she shared with Balthazar had opened her eyes to many things, including a world where Immortals marked people. The leader of Haven was similarly marked, and as such, she knew the man with her had a connection to Immortal that she vaguely understood. Elisabeth herself was unmarked so it was difficult for her to comprehend that type of relationship with an Immortal.

She was just…Elisabeth. Of little importance in the grand scheme of things.

“I don’t mind company though. If you all were of a mind to stay, that is?”

Elisabeth couldn’t stop thinking about how familiar he seemed to her and said curiosity finally won out. Speaking softly, she “I’m sorry, but have we met before? You seem familiar to me. I….” She had been about to say that she was new to Scalvoris – which technically was true – although she had been within it for almost a whole cycle. But with the arrest and other ‘situations’ that had happened, her time actively interacting with others not in Haven had been extremely limited. “I…I’m originally from Viden, but I lived in Rharne for a time. About a cycle back?”

word count: 733
Hart
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2
Medal count: 14

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:44 am

115th Ashan, 721
The young woman said her name was Elisabeth, and Hart smiled. "My name is Hart," he said, "And this is Ruari." Elisabeth held her hand out to Ruari, and Ruari touched her lightly on the palm.

The two year old girl looked up at Elisabeth inquisitively, and then Ruari seemed to think of something; Hart was able to see it in her eyes, in the movement of her brow. Ruari stuck her hand into one of her pockets. Then, looking up at Elisabeth, she held her hand out. There was a shell in her hand, and she held it out to Elisabeth.

Wren drifted to Hart's side.

The boy was looking apprehensive, Hart noticed, and Hart said to him, "You okay?"

"Yes," Wren said, but he remained by Hart's side. The dinili snuffled at Elisabeth's legs, and Wren looked at the giant armadillo for a moment.

Something about how the dinili was behaving toward Elisabeth seemed to make him less apprehensive. "She likes you," Wren said, and then, when Elisabeth patted the dinili lightly, "She's a dinili. They're like armadillos." He said it like it was something Elisabeth might not have noticed, and Hart smiled.

"This is Wren," Hart said, and Wren said, "Oh. Yes, I'm Wren." He was less apprehensive as he spoke; then Elisabeth said something about Darius and Vega. There was no apprehension when the boy said, "Oh. You know Darius and Vega?"

The dinili trundled over to Wren's side, snuffling at him how she'd snuffled at Elisabeth, and he rested a hand on the dinili's back.

"Vega's a friend of ours," Hart said. "Darius too. We're living in Hopetoun."

"Kitty," Ruari said, and Hart asked, "Is it okay if we pet Storm?" Should Elisabeth say that it was okay, Hart would kneel by Storm, letting Ruari down so she was able to pet the kitty.

"Gently, Ru," Hart said. Ruari had been petting the dinili of late, which for Ruari involved patting the animal on her armored hide. Sometimes, she patted the dinili a bit excitedly. But the dinili liked it, because of how thick her hide was.

The kitty, however, didn't have an armored hide. So Hart said, "Let's be gentle, Ru."

They petted the kitty gently, Ruari attempting to purr at him when she touched him lightly on the back. "Kitty, kitty," Ruari said in a gentle voice. Wren had been attempting not to pet the kitty but when Storm purred, the boy knelt down too to pet him.

Elisabeth spoke of Haven and Hart said, "I've not been to Haven, though I've thought of going there at some point."

Wren looked over at him momentarily, and there was some apprehension in the look, and Hart said, "Wren might not travel with us, he likes to be with Vega and Arlo and the others in Hopetoun." That seemed to lessen Wren's apprehension, and the boy looked back at Storm, petting the kitty some more.

"But Ruari might travel with me," Hart said. He looked up at Elisabeth. "What's Haven like?"

Haven had clams and Elisabeth was looking for them here on the beach, and so Hart said, "Ru, let's look at your shells." He got up from where he'd been kneeling, and Ruari said, "Up!" Hart lifted her into his arms.

Ruari stuck her hand in her pocket once more, and Hart held out his hand, palm up. One by one, Ruari set a variety of shells lightly on Hart's palm, which he held out for Elisabeth to look through. "Is one of these shells the kind of clam you're looking for?" If one was, Hart would be able to guide Elisabeth to where they'd found the shells.

"Wren and Ruari would like to look for some live clams, I bet," Hart said, and Wren looked up from the kitty.

"Live clams?" the boy asked. He looked at the shells, thoughtfully. "Is it like with hermit crabs?" he asked.

"More like dinili, with their armored hides," Hart said. He patted the dinili on the back and Ruari did as well, and the dinili wriggled excitedly, snuffling at Hart's feet and legs. He laughed, ticklish. "Clams need their shells to live, like dinili need their hides," he said.

"Oh," Wren said, seeming to think.

When Elisabeth said that they might have met before, Hart looked at her thoughtfully. He held the shells for Ruari to look at, when Elisabeth had looked through them. Ruari smiled, turning them over one by one on his palm.

"I thought maybe we'd met in Hopetoun," Hart said thoughtfully. "It was why I asked if you were walking there. But thinking about it now, I don't think we've met. Or rather, I don't think we've spoken."

"I've not been to Viden, much," he said, when Elisabeth said she'd lived in Viden. "But, I have been to Rharne. I was in Rharne last cycle," he said, and smiled when Elisabeth said she'd been in Rharne as well.

"You weren't at the the Mummer's Ball, were you?" Hart asked. "Or..." He looked at her a moment longer, thoughtful. "You were there, weren't you?" It wasn't quite a question; he thought that must be where he'd met her. "It was a Ball for Daia, one of my favored immortals. I'm one of her marked. I was with Vega and Arlo, most of the Ball."

He'd danced with Vega, and had been seated with Arlo during dinner. He'd been seated with Syroa, as well.

That was, before Syroa had ruined the Ball, and Vivian, Varlum, Vega, Arlo, and Ti'atha had been in danger. That had been before Vega had lopped off Syroa's head. It had also been the night he'd learned from Varlum that Auya, Varlum's love and Hart's friend, had died. And it had been the night that he'd Wished on Varlum's behalf.

Hart thought of all of that, and he was quiet for a moment.

"It was an interesting Ball," Hart said quietly.

"Syroa..." he said. "I was sitting beside Syroa during dinner. I was right beside her when she burst into flames. But you weren't in the room, were you, when..."

"...when she died," Hart said.

"It was an interesting Ball," Hart said once more. "I met Syroa. Qylios implied I was a coward." He smiled. "Daia was there, with her daughter." That had been one good thing, Daia meeting her daughter and her Lions. There were other good things as well. It was when Hart had met Vega and Arlo once more, among others important to him.

"I was marked by Ziell," he said, smiling.

"I didn't much like the play, though," he said. "And Syroa ate a monkey's brain in front of me at dinner."

"A monkey's brain?" Wren asked, and Hart said, "Yes, a monkey's brain still in its skull. Arlo had much better table manners." Wren attempted not to smile, despite his appallment at the monkey skull.
word count: 1220
Elisabeth Angelus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Partner
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Storybook

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:40 pm

Arc 721, 115 Ashan

Smiling softly at the man and the young girl, Elisabeth amusingly watched as Ruari touched her palm, glancing up in a questioning way and then, adorably, held out a small shell to her. Laughing softly, the young mage took the shell and touched the girl’s hand softly. “Why thank you, Ruari. I will treasure this gift.” In truth, she had every intention of doing so. Having never really been given gifts, things given to her quickly became special. Her sword. Storm. Her silver ring.

The boy appeared to be a bit shy, which was fine. Elisabeth herself had once been that way, so it was easy to understand the behavior, even if she wasn’t sure why. He seemed to be focused on the creature that was currently sniffing her legs, but quickly pronounced that animal approved of her. The boy told her what type of creature it was, nodding her head in thanks, smiling. “I’m glad she likes me. That makes things easier, although I will admit to you that I’m rather stubborn. If she didn’t like me, I’d simply view it as a challenge.”

Hart introduced Wren, who seemed to warm up when she mentioned Darius and Vega. “I do,” she said, then deciding to expand upon the comment a bit more. “I consider both friends. Vega I’ve known since Rharne. We went on a little adventure together. Darius, I met in Viden when we were both visiting the city.”

Hopetoun. Smiling, she nodded at the man confirmed they were living in Hopetoun. “It’s a lovely place. The settlers have done well there.”

As Ruari asked after Storm, who was completely enthralled with Elisabeth’s new companions, the young woman nodded as Hart asked if they could pet the feline, kneeling down with them next to Storm. “He is a very friendly kitten, and very well-behaved.”

Watching the pair, she let a smile slip free as he instructed the small girl. Storm, happy for the attention, purred loudly, rubbing against both them and Wren when he joined in, flopping down on the sand, writhing happily. “I think perhaps you’ve all made a friend for life.” The kitten seemed particularly smitten with Ruari, managing to almost knock her over with his enthusiastic rubbing.

As the conversation turned to Haven, she listened as the man spoke of perhaps traveling there, noting a bit of unease as the boy looked at him. “Any that visit are welcome. Haven is on the beach, one of its best features in my opinion. It’s not as far along as Hopetoun, but it’s a special place in its own right. You should come.” Haven hadn’t had a lot of visitors so it was hard to tell what people might think about it.

Storm, perhaps sensing some anxiety, focused his attentions on Wren and the boy’s petting, purring as he circled his legs. Elisabeth always marveled at how the kitten seemed to always know when someone needed a little extra attention, happily providing.

The subject of Elisabeth’s purpose on the beach came to light, and Ruari began handing shells to Hart, seeing if anything looked familiar to the young mage. Seeing a fragment of rainbow shell, she pointed to the partial shell in his hand. “That one. It’s called the Ignis clam. The rainbow bands on the shell make them easy to spot."

Watching as they discussed the clams, Elisabeth recalled the first time she had come upon them in Haven, trying to recall what information she could give them. “When I found them in Haven, I noticed that they would usually be under these weird little mounds of sand.”

They both seemed to be trying to work out where they knew each other from, or at least that’s what his comments led her to believe. Elisabeth listened as he spoke of Hopetoun and Viden. She was certain she had seen him someplace, but that place seemed to be eluding even him.

When the thoughts finally turned to Rharne, it clicked, and they both fell upon the answer at the same time. Nodding she gave a smile. “Yes, I was there. I was sitting with Balthazar.” She remembered the night, wrapped in the most beautiful sapphire gown. It had been a confusing, terrifying but wonderful evening in retrospect.

Something had drawn her attention out of the Ballroom before the madness had descended. Once she had snapped out of the fog that had overcome her, Elisabeth had raced back to the others and helped with what she could. The animated silverware. Balthazar. Immortals. It had all been a bit difficult to reconcile, but the evening had served to bring her and the man she loved closer together and for that, she would be forever grateful.

When he commented about the evening, she simply nodded. “It was certainly interesting.”

Hart’s take on events was much clearer than hers. He had been closer to the major events and as such, she listened carefully to his words. The one thing that struck her though was the mention of Syroa’s death, which she knew to not be true.

She very much knew it to be not true.

Balthazar had shown her the moment of his death at Syroa's hands, the very memory of which caused her own hands to visibly shake. It had been a horrible, horrible memory to witness - something made of nightmares and evil.

Glancing at the two children, Elisabeth bit her lip gently, gazing at the man before her. She had to tell him. He deserved to know that Syroa lived, but she worried about Ruari and Wren. Blurting out what she knew wasn’t an option.

Looking down at the sand, soft words slipped free. “I know something you need to know,” she spoke, eyes flicking to the girl and boy, hoping he would figure out what it was she was trying to imply.

word count: 1016
Jackalope
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 2

Contribution

RP Medals

Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:08 pm

]

Experience: +15 xp

Magic xp? No.

Collaboration: Yes
Renown: None.
Injuries/Overstepping: None.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Knowledge: None requested for either.

It’s too bad you guys never finished this thread. The whole Syroa reveal, while (perhaps) overcome by subsequent events, promised to be a dramatic development. I love the strong sense of setting you guys both provide; I really feel like I’m on a beach somewhere. With a giant armadillo and a cat. Ruari and Wren are well-written children, and Hart seems like a great dad. And Elisabeth really is a warm, generous soul. No wonder the dinili likes her!

Enjoy your rewards, rudimentary though they are.
word count: 111

Return to “Faldrass Island”