Renown: +12
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Staff

[Desnind] Festivals, Traditions and Stories

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:32 pm

INDEX

Below are festivals, traditins and stories which are unique to Desnind. For ease, I've split them into type. Please feel free to add your own creations to our Development Forum!

Festivals

NameTypeDescriptionCredit
Example ? An example. Bumblebee

Traditions

Yara meje Tradition A Cylus tradition where wishes are made. Vega

Stories

The Foolish Sailor Folktale The biqaj tale of a captain and his "unsinkable" ship. Vega
The Bird's Trick Fable A folklore about listening to the wisdom of others. Chevnoavi

Ceremonies

Dauv ọludïbọ
Punishment A ceremonial burning to cleanse Desnind's worst offenders. Andraska Venora
word count: 204
Bumblebee
Race: Human
Profession: Desnind Mod
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates
Medal count: 2

Contribution

Staff

Re: [Desnind] Festivals, Traditions and Stories

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Dauv ọludïbọ

Developed by Andáska Venora
Details:

In every society there are those that challenge and break the laws of the land and Desnind, even with the majority of the population being quite peaceful, is no exception. Like any other city, it is subject to murders, theft, arson, etc. This is often because the spirits of young Sev'ryn are more easily pulled towards a darker nature and/or the worshiping of Lisirra. When this happens and the laws are broken, the punishments of the city often suffice – burial, exile, drowning...

There are unfortunate instances where these verdicts are inadequate; In the worst cases of corruption – those truly displaying evil with no remorse and are too dangerous to exile lest they survive the elements and continue to wreak havoc on Idalos, are given a very rare sentence.

The offender, usually a guilty party accused of committing a number of serial, heinous crimes – is given three days with a diet consisting of little other than roots and vegetables, a symbol of purifying their body with the gifts of Moseke to cleanse their body, followed by extensive prayer and meditation by leaders of the Aiserism faith, in hopes of bringing the mind of the guilty to a lighter place.

Unfortunately, even if there was to be signs of redemption in the offender, mercy is unlikely, since trickery is far too possible. At this point, this is Desnind's last ditch effort for spiritual salvation. Once the three days are complete, the individual is usually weaker, and taken outside of the city gates in a representation of exile, however they are not left alone. They are sprinkled with holy water and given a drug that numbs all pain and sensation. Afterwards, they are tied to a post and burned.

Fire is an element hardly used in Desnind due to its destructive properties and the forests surrounding it, but it is used in this ritual as a way to burn away the darkness plaguing them. The ashes are gathered and used as fertilizer for a new tree planted in the Makubwa Lori, to symbolize that the last act that they performed in this world was not to destroy, but to give life in hopes that when they are reborn, their spirits will be stronger and purer for their path.
word count: 394
Bumblebee
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Staff

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Folklore: The Foolish Sailor
Developed by Vega
They say this tale was told by a Sev'ryn girl with red hair. Half Sev'ryn and half Biqaj, she sat around the fire pit with us on the Mwẹnz Tsäbtä and spoke this story. It tells us what we all know, that the Immortals are not to be taken for granted. Respect the land and the seas.

The tale is of a Biqaj. There are many tales that Biqaj tell betwixt the sea and the stars, many falsehoods and fables. It is of a child, maybe nine arcs old who was with his father who was working as a navigator aboard a vessel. The boy was aboard the ship with his father, helping and learning, as our children learn to hunt and survive, learn the ways of the land, so too do the Biqaj learn the ways of the sea.

One trial, just at the end of Ymiden and before the second sun hides the stars for a time the child, whose name was Joq'an, heard the captain boasting of this ship and how it could not be sunk. He was listening to the grown ups and he heard his father warn the Captain not to speak so, for it is not wise to mock the ocean any more than it is wise to underestimate the earth or woods. The Captain laughed and called him a fool, a superstitious Biqaj who did not know the wonders which could be built with science and technology. A second time, and then once more Joq'an's father warned the captain to have more reverence for nature and the Immortals who guided them but they had laughed him off.

The Captain told Joq'an's father that U'frek himself could not sink the ship, that they would freeze in Saun before they sunk at sea, for the ship was unsinkable. Child as he was, Joq'an still heard it as clearly as you hear my voice now. That night, they both prayed to U'frek for the foolish men and left them to their boasting.

Ten trials passed of work and travel and then Saun came upon them. The second sun appeared in the sky and on the first night of Saun Joq'an and his father went to sleep in their bunk. Joq'an woke up, confused and hungry. That was his overwhelming feeling, one of hunger. Yet he was not thirsty. He heard shouting and calling and he called to his father who woke in the bunk above him and he, too, was confused.

The shouting was sailors, Biqaj as it happened, who had found the boat adrift, just off the shores of Desnind.

They didn't understand what could have happened. It remains a mystery to this trial. It was fifteen trials into Saun, and they had slept all fifteen. Yet they had not died from lack of water as they should, nor from lack of food, although they were both hungry. The vessel itself was drifting and had been picked up.

There wasn't another living soul aboard with Joq'an and his father. The crew had all disappeared, except for the Captain. He was dead, sitting at the table where he spoke those words and he was covered in ice, frozen solid, even in the middle of Saun. Even in the suns of Saun, that ice around him never melted. When they gave him the death rites at sea, he went into her frozen. Maybe he still is, frozen out there under the water, regretting his words and waiting until he is forgiven.
word count: 622
Bumblebee
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Staff

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:21 pm

Ritual/ Tradition: Yara meje
Developed by Vega
This tradition takes place the trial after the first snow of Cylus. During that trial, a number of hollowed-out logs are left, standing upright around the Fire Pit. There are also buckets of what seems to be fine, coarse sand in a variety of different colors. People from all over Desnind come and put a handful of this "Ãdälcï sọ i’en" or "wish sand". As you put the sand into the hollowed-out log, you should whisper a wish for the arc ahead.

That night, the logs are burnt on the Fire Pit ~ the Ãdälcï sọ i’en burns slowly and cause the flames to burn high and move through a variety of colors. It is a beautiful sight and is said to be Moseke's reminder that the light will return. No one knows what the Ãdälcï sọ i’en is made from, that is a closely guarded secret, only the higher-ups in the Temple know anything.
word count: 185
Bumblebee
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Staff

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Fable: The Bird's Trick
Developed by Chevnoavi (Noah)
Once some time ago, a village elder was walking through the deeper parts or the Lori when he spotted a strange bird. It sat on a fallen branch making a strange sound. Every time this bird made its strange noise, its eyes jumped from its head and rested on the branch the bird sat on. When the bird made another noise, the eyes jumped back into the bird's head.

"Oh, little bird," the elder cried out, "Would you teach me how to do that?"

The bird grinned, "If I show you my trick," The bird answered, "You must not do this more than three times a trial, or you will surely be sorry."

"I will do just as you say, my little friend, no more than three times."

When the elder had learned the bird's trick, he was elated and did his new trick three times right then and there. Then he stopped."What a silly little bird," He thought aloud, " Why tell me to do this only three times? Surely nothing could happen, I will try once more." So he made his eyes jump from his face a fourth time, but this time his eyes would not come back as much as he tried. The man called out to the bird," Oh little bird, won't you please come and help me find my eyes?" But the little bird didn't answer, it had flown away awhile ago. The elder bent over and felt everywhere along the tree with his hands, but could not find his eyes anywhere. Thus he wandered the Lori for a long time, crying and calling out to the animals for help.

A wolf decided to mess with the elder bringing a piece of rotting meat near him and the man would feel for whatever was rotting near him. Finally, the man caught the wolf and plucked out one of its eyes, putting it in his own head. He could now see and went to find his eyes, although he could never do the bird's trick ever again.

word count: 369

Return to “Information Repository”