[Nashaki Caravansary] Killing Straight from the Heart

Death to the Birthday Boy.

23rd of Ymiden 720

As one approaches the City of Nashaki, trains of caravans lead through the sprawling outskirts to the numerous open city gates. The largest gate is on the west side and leads past the fortified walls into an octagon of eight districts. Each district features unique markets and is maintained by one of the eight Towers that rule Nashaki. In the city, heavily guarded, is the prized oasis that supports the Nashaki people to flourish in such an unforgiving land.
Demda
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Nomad
Renown: 105
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 3

Milestones

Miscellaneous

[Nashaki Caravansary] Killing Straight from the Heart

Theme

23rd of Ymiden 720

The places were set, in Demda's flat that Qais had laid her up in. He always did take care of her. It was part of what made this next part difficult.

She was mixing a salad from fresh greens and various root vegetables and bits of dried meat into it, with some fresh oil and cheap spices from the market. The jug of wine was set aside, a red variety from... well she wasn't sure. Not Nashaki. There were no vinyards in the Hotlands that she knew of. But the Caravans brought things in from time to time. She supposed it came from one of them. Perhaps blood orange wine from Athart, the Trevender Plantation vintage. In any event, it would be the last thing he tasted, before the poison took hold...

She was as still as a rock, her heart as hardened steel. The bastard had lied about her baby's ashes. To think, the gift he'd given her, that beautiful silver amphora, with three gems set into it... Held Sinith's slug ash, a dose meant for a mark that he intended to kill, so he could cash in, all while betraying her. She'd heard the rumor from one of the bastard's associates. She didn't believe him of course. They'd spent a year together, and Qais by all appearances loved his 'firebird'. She was his treasure, his darling. The thought of those terms of endearment were almost enough to make her tear up, but she stilled her hands as she tossed the salad. Once that was done, she wiped her hands off on some linens, and took the amphora in her hands...

She daydreamed about the day to come, and passed the moments, waiting for her lover on the lounger that was in the dining area.

She sat across from him, her gaze positively reptilian and chilly as she cradled her chin in both hands, watching him convulse and foam at the mouth as the fear finally caused his heart to give out. He fell face forward in the salad, the wine tipped over and spilled onto the table.

"Alas poor Qais. You never could hold your wine. I hope you enjoyed the show at least."

She stood up, and walked around the table, and planted a kiss on his clammy cheek. Then she picked up her baggage, and set off out the door, a sway in her step.

But in reality, Demda couldn't be so cold, so calculated and with a stillness of mind. Not when it came to ending the life of someone who had given so much to her. Yet what could she do, his associate had proven he was trying to throw her to the wolves. He showed her proof. It was him or her, she kept telling herself, as she heard a knock at the threshold. She wouldn't be pinned for an assassination attempt on a master of the Towers.

Her hands were shaking as she brought the salad to the center of the table, and then set beside it the jug of wine. The jug rolled a bit on its base as she set it down, showing how off balance she was. Then Qais let himself in. She tried to breathe, sharply inhaled through her nostrils and trying to reclaim the stillness of mind she would need for this act of murder. She'd already made arrangements to sell much of his belongings, and use what nels he had on him to purchase membership in a caravansary. The deal with the captain and his people had already been struck. For better or worse, she was committed.

Qais came in, and tilted his head to the side. She felt his breath on her neck as he wrapped his arms around her stomach, bringing her into a warm embrace. He always did like to smell her hair. A tiny bit of moisture got in her eyes, and her sinuses caught up. She sniffed, but was able to maintain a voice that didn't quaver too much, "Ah... I made you some... S-salad. There's wine cups in the other room? I'll go pour you a glass..."

Qais chuckled, rubbing her belly and nuzzling her on the neck before pulling away. "That would be nice, what did I do to deserve such wonderful service?"

She twisted in his arms, trying to get around him, but he pulled her into a sudden kiss on the lips. She let him kiss her, but something about it must not have been very convincing, as his eyes opened halfway through it. Then he broke it off. "Whats the matter, darling firebird? You're as cold as Cylus limestone..."

"I... I'm going to get the wine! Please, make yourself comfortable." She said, trying to sound seductive, but her voice still wavered through her sultry tone. He raised his eyebrows, and then shrugged, and pulled away from her fully. She scurried off to see to the cups. Grabbing the small jug and bringing it into the kitchen area. There, she began pouring out the wine. This done she slid the emptied jug onto the counter, and began fiddlig feverishly with her amphora. There were more than a few grains of slug ash inside. She poured all of them in one of the cups, and quickly stirred it with her finger. She wiped the finger off on a nearby linen, grabbed the tray of cups, and turned around...

And there was Qais.

Had he seen what she had done? Did he know what she was up to? Had she been betrayed by his associate? Panic rose in her heart as Qais closed the distance between them. Just when he reached striking distance, she flinched as he raised his hand... to caress her cheek. WIth that he took one of the cups. Oh Gray! Did he take the wrong one!? Which one had the poison?! She panicked again, which came out as a squeak as he leaned in to give her a kiss. His lips still wet with the wine. She pursed her lips, certain not to take any of the fluid into her mouth.

This time he pulled away faster than before. He didn't like what he was seeing, or so she presumed. She'd failed her ruse, oh gods what would he do to her?

Demda's eyes drifted to the knife on the counter, but not before Qais harumphed, and tossed the emptied cup, then took the other for himself. She stared in shock, her golden flecked green eyes marvelling at her luck.

Suddenly, she felt a wave of relief wash over her. She gave him a back massage as he turned around, and led him back over to the table. All while he sipped what might be the poisoned cup. There, she pulled out a chair for him and sat him down. Then she walked over to the opposite one, and took her own seat. She stared oddly at him for a few moments, as if not quite sure what to expect. Was Sinith slug ash meant to be ingested, she had doubts. Perhaps...

But then, his eyes flew wide, and he looked at her. "You! What have you done with Demda!? You aren't her!" Oh, wonderful, the ash came with hallucinations...

"I killed you, I ground your crystals to dust myself, and threw them in a furnace, how how are you here?! What have you done with her!?" He picked up a nearby knife, and stood from his seat. The chair behind him went crashing into the wall as he nearly leapt over the table at her, grabbing her by the collar. She squealed in panic. Again, the thoughts of treachery on the part of Qais' associate haunted her. Yet, before he could drive the knife into her neck, he convulsed on the table, his hand still tightly wound around the wool of her shirt. Foam dribbled out of the corners of his mouth, and he looked at her, shocked. Her eyes filled with tears at what she'd done, and she mouthed the words, unable to vocalize, "I'm sorry." Then he died, knowing that his lover had killed him. At least he deserved the ttruth.

Demda took some of his nels out of his purse, his domain bag, and a pair of wrapping boots of running. These she fitted to her own boots, and once that was done, stumbled senseless out of the apartment, aggrieved and lost in guilt. Yet even as heavy as her heart was now, she would soon be hunted by the men of Qais. She had to make good on her offer to the Caravansary captain, in order to make it out of Nashaki, out of their reach.

So she slipped down the stairs of the flophouse, and onto the streets, running all the way so that nobody would spot her tears.

word count: 1499
Image*Image*Image*Image
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Nashaki Caravansary] Killing Straight from the Heart

Demda:

Knowledge:
Poisons 2
Deception 2
Detection 2

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: Slight panic and shock of having murdered someone.
Renown: 10, for murder.
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: First of all, I love the picture that you used for Demda!

Wow, Qais does indeed sound like a bastard. The story about the amphora and the baby’s ashes confused me at first, I have to admit, but reading Demda’s CS made things clear.

It was ironic that she used the ash in the amphora to poison him.

I thought that you described her nervousness when she poisoned the wine very well.

Considering their history, it makes sense to me that Qais wasn't suspicious despite Demda’s relative lack of skills.

You RPed that part very well in my opinion!

Sintih Slug Ash is a good choice in my opinion. It gives people a terrible trip, but there are no long-lasting effects. Repeated use – or an overdose – apparently causes the victim’s heart to give out though.

It apparently also makes what you are most afraid of haunt you, so the things that Qais screamed were especially interesting to me.

I wonder how exactly Demda plans on escaping and evading Qais' men. Those Point Bank items that you gave her will definitely come in handy either way!

Enjoy your rewards!

P.S.: There were several occasions throughout the thread where “Discipline” or “Meditation” might have applied, so I might have added one or both of those to the list of skills used.

P.P.S.: I wasn’t entirely sure if I should award you Renown at first. Nobody found out about the murder in this thread, but discovery/people realizing that it was Demda is pretty much certain, so I decided to give you some!
word count: 304

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Nashaki”