Solo An Icy Arrangement

Vhalar 720 Wealth Thread - Cyrus takes a contract to kill a dire boar. He goes to practice training at the Fitness Center to prepare his mind and body for such a feat.

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Cyrus
Approved Character
Race: Ellune
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Milestones

Miscellaneous

An Icy Arrangement

50 Vhalar 720

Cyrus stared at the piece of parchment in his hand while the woman behind the desk watched him, her fingers laced and propped beneath her chin. Jaessi's aura was smug and she tilted her chin down to peer at the man from above her spectacles, "Well?"

"Hm."

"Hm?" she mocked, back stiffening, "What do you mean, 'hm'?" she rose with a start, stretching across her desk to tap the wanted ad furiously, "This is good work! And for the rangers no less," Jaessi scoffed in disbelief, confused why the Ellune hesitated, "You've been wanting to get a foot in that door for arcs now. I finally have an offer come across my desk and you 'hmmm'!"

Cyrus could tell he was frustrating the woman, "Jaessi," his voice was steady, "I am no hunter."

Again, he read the advert, straining as it was written in Common:

Dangerous Beast!
.The rangers request assistance in the bounty for the hide and tusks of a dire boar. It has been seen close to the entrance of the city and is extremely volatile. Going alone is not advised! A party of skilled hunters is recommended for killing the creature.

"Not a hunter," the woman repeated, apparently content to mimic him so that he could hear the outrageous of his words, "Not yet - But you wish to be a ranger, yes?" she pulled to her seat and began to shuffle papers on her desk, "Do this, they will likely show interest in your recruitment."

"And what of the party?"

She waited.

"Going alone... not advised," Cyrus turned the parchment over and held it out to her, "A party of skilled hunters recommended." The transition to spoken ancient was easier than trying to repeat the longer words in the other tongue, "Who am I supposed to ask?"

"Oh, that's probably just for regular men," she waved her hand, "You easily are the size of... two? Three?"

Cyrus crossed his arms as she appraised his size.

Still, Jaessi felt confident in his abilities, "You have the power of ice with you and a dire boar is hardly dire for an Ellune."

He sighed, unsure. Behind him, a line of applicants awaiting their next assignment from the employment office were quickly adding up. He didn't seem hurried, but rarely liked the idea of turning down work. It was a good opportunity...

"Do you want the job or not?"

"Yes," he relented, folding the parchment and slipping it into his back pocket. Jaessi beamed and went to grab her book, scrawling his name down beside the list of assignments.

"Excellent. I'll let the Rangers know."

"Jaessi?" he waited till she finished writing, nodding in reserved appreciation, "I'll do my best."
word count: 459
Cyrus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: An Icy Arrangement

50 Vhalar 720

To kill a boar, one needed to first know how to kill.

In order to kill, one needed to understand how to fight.

He meditated on this logic, standing outside the fitness center, unsure what he could learn in this place that could help in a hunt against a wild animal. At the very least he needed to improve his physical fitness. His agility was practically nonexistent and while there was a natural strength obtained with mining work, some muscles were practiced more than others. Cyrus knew it was time to fix that.

His eyes followed the visitors as they moved towards the front door. Some carried mats, and canvas rucksacks, chugging water from leather skins. Others were like him. Hesitant, confused, a bit nervous, revealed by the uneasy glances in the direction of the most experienced and the subtle mimicking of behavior. He followed after, entering the establishment to wander to the front desk where the receptionist was happily chatting with a woman telling a story about her recent vacation to Scalvoris.

"Did you know there's a war?" she asked curiously, scribbling on a piece of paper. From his vantage point the Ellune could see the swirling hand of cursive, although he had never learned to write it, "Council is fighting its own. Some rich socialite from what I heard. Owns the prison, maybe?"

"Really?" the receptionist asked, intrigued. He smiled but there was a keen edge to his attention, "Scalvoris remains as interesting as always. You know I heard- "

Cyrus cleared his throat, drawing the attention of the gossipers. He regarded them silently and then waved towards the desk, "I am here to train."

They both eyed him before the one behind the counter pulled a form out, "Yes sir... Are you a Viden citizen?"

"Yes."

A nod, "Are you enrolled in the university?"

"No."

"No?"

"No, not in present time."

"Any plans to?"

Cyrus furrowed his brow. Was this part of the enrollment? He couldn't see how that was the center's business but shrugged, "Maybe."

When it was clear the Ellune wasn't going to offer any more details, the worker sighed and asked his name.

"Cyrus."

"Just Cyrus?"

Again, the giant frowned, "Cyrus Mala'kai Qalar-Treid."

There, he thought sharply, Happy yet?

"Just Cyrus it is," Ashton joked, trying to lighten the mood, "What kind of training were you seeking? Class schedule's are on the board. Organized them myself."

Cyrus looked over to the board in question but made no move to inspect it closer, "Strong training... for a hunt."

Ashton had to fight his smirk, "You mean strength training?" he grinned, "Cyneheard is having a class in a couple bits. He's Lotharro, big guy," he pointed down the hall, "Beginner classes cost seventy-five gold nel, ten sessions. A membership is fifteen."

In Common, it took Cyrus a pause to imagine the numbers and realize their worth. He sighed and then nodded. At this rate the boar sounded like it would cost more than it was worth. Then again... could he really put a price on impressing the Rangers? The woman who had been talking to Ashton went to grab her gear and said her goodbyes as the giant reached for his coin purse and slowly counted the amount.

"You mentioned a hunt?" Ashton looked genuinely interested, "You look like you could be a good hunter. Well..." Cyrus set fifteen coins on the counter and continued counting, "I guess if you can hide. Must be hard to go unnoticed when you're that-"

The Ellune stared him down.

"You know... Big."

Cyrus snorted. The man was fishing, perhaps for new gossip to spread around. He finished his calculations and passed over the rest of the nel, "Dire boar."

"What?"

"The hunt. It is dire boar." Cyrus watched interest light in the man's eyes.

"Really? Is that-"

With a shake of his head, the giant moved towards the board to read the schedule and then made his way up the hall. Class was about to begin.
word count: 680
Cyrus
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates

Milestones

Miscellaneous

50 Vhalar 720

There was more lecturing than he would have thought.

Cyrus sat on the floor of the training facility, disappointed that the sparring mats were rather temperate compared to the standard stone flooring. Cyneheard Thrace was speaking on the subject of health and maintaining a strong body, explaining the difference between cardio and strength training. Cyrus had expected a completely hands on class, not realizing a fighter had to more to worry about than just defeat. Overexertion and muscle failure, for instance. While not to the extent explained to the class, the Ellune had experienced the early stages once in the mountains after a long day of crushing rock. Muscle shaking, the inability to continue moving.

His eyes wandered the room to his fellow classmates.

"Today I will be demonstrating some basic jabs and the proper stance when facing off against your opponent," Cyneheard moved to the center of the room, his stance changing followed by a description for the placement of each leg, hips, shoulders, arms, "These are your basics, do not disregard them."

Together, they were encouraged to stand and practice their footwork while the instructor walked around and gave notes. When the Lotharro stood before Cyrus, he seemed to be appraising the man's sheer size, "I don't see many Ellune fighters," he noted. Cyneheard was smaller than Cyrus but significantly taller than the others, "You'll have a longer reach of control in a fight. Are you fast?"

Cyrus considered the question. Him? Fast? He tried to think of the last time he had been forced to run or show signs speed. He shook his head.

"That will be your weakness then. You will need to stay alert for smaller, faster opponents."

Cyrus did not know how large this boar would be. Would it be quick? Capable of charging in and ramming a tusk into his belly?

The Ellune took the man's words earnestly and doubled his efforts. He focused awareness to each limb and how he held his weight, what it felt like as he imagined facing off against the beast. Before he knew it, class was wrapping up.

"But we did not fight," he commented, watching as the other men and women began to grab their bags.

The Lotharro snorted, "Did you learn anything?"

"...Yes. But-"

"Then the class has done you good. Patience," mirrors along the wall revealed the Ellune's incredulous expression. Still, the Lotharro seemed unbothered, "Practice what I have told you, implement it."

Implement? Cyrus did not know that word but did not say it.

"Next class I will show you how to block, and maybe - maybe - we will spar."

The Ellune scowled but held his tongue in an effort to remain respectful. Fine, he thought. I will try.

Even with a lesson learned, he felt no more confident in pursuing his bounty.

These classes better be worth the nel.

Cyrus ducked through the door frame, displeased.
ooc
Strength x2
The Different Types of Physical Training
Signs of Overexertion in the Body

Unarmed Combat x4
A Larger Opponent Has Significant Reach
Being the Biggest in a Fight Gives Certain Advantages
Do Not Disregard the Foundation of Good Form
Practice Your Reflexes to Keep Up with Faster Fighters
word count: 540
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Cyrus:

Knowledge:
Strength x2
Unarmed Combat x4

Loot: -
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: This was an enjoyable thread. I don’t think I’ve read a lot of threads – or any threads at all – where PCs actually go into an office and accept a bounty from the bounty board in person. Usually, that part is summarized. So, I appreciate that you dedicated an entire post to Cyrus’ visit to the Employment Office. I also enjoyed his interaction with Jaessi.

For a moment, I thought that Cyrus would go and hunt that dire boar right away. I’m glad that he didn’t. Getting some training first is reasonable. I’m quite impressed by your ability to make things come to life. The scene in the Fitness Center was well written in my opinion. You even included the receptionist chatting about the war in Scalvoris.

Such things can add a lot to a thread in my opinion!

The class itself was different from what I expected. The Lotharro was right though. Even if they didn’t fight, Cyrus still learned something. That being said, I wish him good luck on his hunt!

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 203

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “City of Viden”