• Solo • Haven and Hope

Beacon is a small village just outside Scalvoris Town which has grown from a few houses to a small hamlet in its own right. Made up of small houses, Beacon is the home for those who are working as "Trainees" in the Cally's group of businesses, be that Cally's Restaurant, Luna's Dream Orphanage of the Scalvoris Town Soup Kitchen. Those who live here do so for a period of time where they are provided with medical care, food and clothing while they are learning a trade. In turn, they are expected to work hard, study and to share their skills both in their job and in the Beacon community

Moderators: Pegasus, Pig Boy

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: +835
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 14

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Haven and Hope

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:21 am

Ymiden 11, Arc 721

On the 11th of Ymiden, Devin Thorn, medical genius in progress, masterful bard and unexpected Baron (He’d just wanted Alyssia to have the job, but for some reason, Saoire had given him one third of it!) was approaching Hope Farm, a smile on his face and a spring in his step because he was absolutely sure that he would solve the beer crisis that trial. The evening before, he’d drunk beer at the Knight’s Rest because he had thought that doing so might give him a clue as to why it had gone stale. It hadn’t. Going straight to the source – a farm where the grain that beer and ale and such were made out of grew – was better, anyway though!

It was just as the main building of the farm came into view that something occurred to him though, and he stopped dead in his tracks and turned his roommate Aidan who had decided to accompany him, looking slightly confused. “This farm here is called Hope Farm”, he remarked and gestured towards the house and the fields that surrounded it. “There’s also a farm called Haven Farm though. There are two settlements called Haven and Hopetoun on Faldrass. Do you … do you think that Balthazar and Darius just copied those names? I’m pretty sure that the farms existed before the settlements”, he murmured. “Or are Haven and Hope just really popular names in Scalvoris? Hope is a pretty nice thing to have”, he decided.

Aidan stopped dead in his tracks as well. He looked just as confused as Devin, but for an entirely different reason. Finally, he admitted, “I don’t know. I’ve never really thought about it. And I’m not sure if it matters. We should focus on figuring out what’s wrong with the beer instead. Talieson said that people in that tavern tried to bash each other’s heads in because there was no beer. I’m afraid that this might become a more common occurrence soon”, he continued in a very serious tone of voice.

“I wonder if we should”, he murmured before he decided, “There is no point in alerting the authorities because they are definitely already aware of the beer crisis, and the Council is without a doubt already looking into it, and so are the farmers and a fair number of tavern owners, I would wager. Devin, why exactly are the two of us investigating the beer crisis when a lot of other people are probably doing exactly the same – a lot of other people who are probably way more qualified than you are?” he wanted to know, his tone of voice changing from confused to suspicious.

“For fame and glory and such – and because I have business on the main island, anyway. I thought I might as well try and solve the beer crisis while I’m acquiring supplies for the Barony and the party I want to have”, Devin replied in an extremely dry tone of voice. “A party without beer sucks. I have a personal interest in it”, he added which was true. Devin didn’t like beer – it was a very conventional drink, and the taste was terrible – but a lot of other people did, and he wanted to give his guests the best party ever. “And I’m very qualified, thank you very much. I’m one of the most observant men in all of Scalvoris. I see things which is a very important skill for an investigator to have”, he pointed out – and turned his head in order to look around, as if he were determined to prove just how observant he was, and how many things he could see.

A moment later, he did notice something interesting and subsequently pointed out in a delighted tone of voice, “There’s a goat!”
Notes
From the Scalvoris calendar:

On 5th Ymiden, Inns and Taverns across Scalvoris report that all their beer and ale has gone stale overnight. This had happened previously to a few Inns but - as of this trial there is no beer / ale / brewed drinks on the whole of Scalvoris and this situation will remain until dealt with by PCs. This may genuinely cause civil unrest if not dealt with.
Last edited by Devin on Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 724

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Haven and Hope

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:46 am

There were in fact a couple of goats, black and white with horns and little beards, that were munching on the grass of a nearby pasture quite hungrily. When Devin approached, one of them started to bleat loudly and came closer, towards the fence, in order to look at him from out of big black eyes. He returned the look, and was just wondering if he should pet it because it was just such an adorable goat, when he suddenly heard a woman ask, “Can I help you with anything, gentlemen? Are you here to buy anything? We just made a fresh batch of goat cheese, in case you’d like some.”

Aidan opened his mouth in order to say something, but Devin was faster. He walked up to the woman who had shoulder-length brown hair and was in her thirties, if his estimate was correct, a brilliant smile on his face and proclaimed because he had just had a most excellent idea, “In fact I am. I’d like to buy some of that goat cheese you mentioned – and I’d like to place an order if possible. I plan on holding a party, in Saun, possibly sometime next next cycle, and I need food for my guests. I was thinking of making canapes for them.”

“Originally, I planned on using cow milk cheese, but goat cheese would be so much better. Goat cheese mixed with small pieces of fig and wrapped with bacon, maybe with an olive on top”,
he decided and resisted the urge to lick his lips because the mere thought made his mouth water. He hadn’t even known that there were goats on Hope Farm, but now, he couldn’t help but think about how perfect some goat-themed stuff would be for his party. It was such a fortunate coincidence that Aidan and he had decided to visit Hope Farm rather than Haven Farm.

He wasn’t sure what kind of animals Haven Farm had. They probably didn’t have any goats though!

“Forgive me though, I haven’t introduced myself yet. Doctor Devin Thorn, Baron Smooglenuff”, he said, the smile on his face even brighter than before, and bowed, one hand in the center of his chest before he informed the woman who listened with considerable patience, “I plan on raising awareness for mental health issues and collecting donations for the Spirit’s Rest Oasis during my party. You are of course invited. It would only be fair”, he decided – Hope Farm would be supplying the goat cheese after all – before he finally fell silent and took a deep breath because he had been talking without pause!

“This is my friend Aidan”, he added at which his roommate inclined his head and smiled slightly.

“Raihi. Raihi Hale”, the woman said, blinking slightly. “I can package some cheese for you, Baron, and we can talk about the order in the house, if you like”, she offered.

It was just then that Aidan nudged Devin. The Mortalborn turned to his roommate and whispered to him, “I haven’t forgotten. Let’s take care of business first though, shall we?”

Last edited by Devin on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 534

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:43 am

“I’m a little worried about the current beer crisis, to be honest”, Devin admitted with a small sigh as he put the packet of delicious fresh goat cheese into his bag, as if he had just decided to broach the topic rather than having planned to talk about it all along.

He didn’t even have to pretend that he was worried He really was worried after Talieson had told him about his experience in that tavern. And besides, you couldn’t have a party that was worth its grain of salt without beer, ale and similarly brewed drinks, as he had already concluded before!

“And I was wondering if you have noticed anything out of the ordinary, if you don’t mind me asking, Mrs. Hale?” he wanted to know in an extraordinarily friendly and polite tone of voice (He could be like that sometimes!) and looked at Raihi questioningly. “I can’t help but wonder what will happen if we don’t find a solution soon.”

The owner of Hope Farm put the rest of her goat cheese away before she turned to look at Devin, and at Aidan who was just watching quietly, furrowed her brow and slowly replied, “I … I don’t think so. The beer that I bought has suddenly gone stale, just like all the other beer in Scalvoris, but the grain on our fields looks normal to me. It grows just like it always does. I’ve been wondering if someone’s been tampering with the beer on purpose”, she admitted, sounding concerned.

“Hopefully, it isn’t the case, and this will pass soon”, she continued with a slightly forced smile before she turned around and proceeded to produce a notebook and a pen, “You said that you wanted to order goat cheese for a party that you want to hold at the end of this cycle or maybe sometime next cycle? How many people will attend? I need to know so that I know how much cheese I should prepare for you.”

“Approximately”, she added when Devin looked a little confused and furrowed his brow.

“A few dozen, maybe”, Devin decided. He planned on inviting Saoire. As an Immortal she would probably bring an entourage because he couldn’t imagine an Immortal not having one. Then there was Nyjj, the owner of the Spirit’s Rest Oasis who he had already invited. His fellow Barons, Darius and Nir’wei, as well as Alyssia and ChiChi would hopefully be there as well, and he probably ought to invite some people from Haven as well - the settlement, and not the farm. A few dozen guests were a good estimate in his opinion, and he was not worried about his lack of experience when it came to planning stuff either.

On the contrary, he was confident that it would all work out!

Last edited by Devin on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 486

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:46 am

“Well, that was another failure”, Aidan muttered once they had finally said goodbye to Raihi and her lovely goats. For a moment, he couldn't help but wonder why Devin had decided not to leave Hope Farm the same way that they had come – they were walking past a field rather than past the pasture with the goats now, but then he shrugged his shoulders and just followed him. “I’m really starting to think that we are wasting our time. I think we should focus entirely on getting our supplies now and let other people solve the beer crisis”, he suggested and kicked a pebble that was lying on the path in front of him.

“No”, Devin curtly replied and glanced at the field that was full of wheat. He didn’t know much about agriculture and such because he was not a farmer and had no desire to become one, but the wheat was high and nice and golden. It looked like it was ripening to him, so he walked over to a wheat plant (He had no idea if that was the proper term for it, but wheat was a plant, so it would just be a wheat plant until further notice!) and knelt down in order to inspect it because that might help.

He looked at it, touched at it and finally he sniffed at it, furrowing his brow slightly.

It smelled earthy and grassy and vaguely sweet, and pleasant. For a moment, he thought that he could detect a hint of something weird, but then he shook his head, having come to the conclusion that he had most likely just been imagining things, stood again and looked at Aidan. He was about to concede that his roommate might have a point, kind of, although he hated it because a priest of Delroth never gave up and was never wrong – when he suddenly heard a most unexpected and incredibly lovely sound coming from a tree that was nearby.

“There’s a bird!” the Mortalborn who fancied himself one of the most observant men on the entire island remarked, much like he had he had before, when he had seen the goat and proceeded to point left. A moment later, he turned to his roommate who looked a little confused and smiled brightly at him, because he had just had another most excellent idea.

He would definitely solve the beer crisis. now. He didn’t have a single doubt in that regard anymore!

word count: 424

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]

Return to “Beacon”