Site News News & New Features!

This thread will keep you updated on news and new features!

Moderator: Staff

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: News & New Features!

Site News
Hiya

Long story short - our hosting service is upgrading to PHP8 (I think... I really don't know most of this stuff!) and so we have to upgrade our version of PhPBB. We're going to be doing that over the next few days - which means a few things.

1. Tech Guy and I are testing all extensions over on our "mirror" site. Sometimes, we'll need to compare things with the live site (this one) - so if a function / feature stops working, don't worry. If you do notice something like that and it persists for more than a day - please reach out to Basilisk or Pig Boy and let them know - I'm going to be knee deep in incomprehensible :D :D

2. We're updating sooner / quicker than we'd like on someone else's timeframe. That may have no impact, but it may.

3. I'm going to be MIA for a few days while this is happening - I'll keep the volunteer team updated.

4. While the hosting service is messing around with our DB, there may well be some "flakey" moments. Please save your work regularly. :)

Best

Pegs.
word count: 202
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Site News
Hiya

And, it's update day!

Barring something unforseen, we should be updating the site today! This may involve downtime and - even though we've spent the last five days or so preparing and testing, there's always that niggling worry I get that somehow, somewhere, something will fall over (almost certainly - because Murphy WAS an optimist). Please make sure to save your work regularly and I look forward to posting here to tell you it's done! There will be some new features, etc - I've prepared an announcement of them.

Best

Pegs.
word count: 104
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Pegasus wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:55 am
Site News
Hiya

And, it's update day!

Barring something unforseen, we should be updating the site today! This may involve downtime and - even though we've spent the last five days or so preparing and testing, there's always that niggling worry I get that somehow, somewhere, something will fall over (almost certainly - because Murphy WAS an optimist). Please make sure to save your work regularly and I look forward to posting here to tell you it's done! There will be some new features, etc - I've prepared an announcement of them.

Best

Pegs.

Re: above.

The "Notes" feature (the one where you can store your own notes via "My Links" will not work after the update. Please save your work / notes on there. Sincere apologies, we've looked and looked for an alternative that's compatible, but just haven't found one. If anyone knows of a feature like this that's compatible with PhPBB 3.3 - I'd appreciate a PM with a link to the extension or the github. Thank you!!
word count: 193
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Site News
Update on the update!

Tech Guy and I have done a final test on everything on the Dev Site today. We will be taking Standing Trials live site (this one) offline in order to implement the update.

We will go offline between 11pm and 3am UK time (it's 2:46pm at time of writing this post).

If there is any change to that, I'll keep people updated via Discord

Best

Pegs.
word count: 83
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Site Upgrade
We've just finished an upgrade to our site software. For those who understand all this stuff (I really largely don't!) we've moved to PHP8 and PhpBB3.3.6 - we've also updated the board theme software. Sooooo there's a few new things, a few things have been lost along the way.

What Didn't Transfer Over
  1. Custom User Titles ~ there's just not an add on / extension out there for this feature. We're continuing to look in to it but, at the moment, we don't have this feature.
  2. Notes - the "Notes" feature on your "MyLinks" menu also has not been updated, as the extension is out of date. If anyone has lost something important - send me a pm from the account that lost it and I'll ask Tech Guy to retrieve it.
Ok. That's what we've lost. Let's go through what we've gained!

New Stuff / Old Stuff That Has Changed!
  1. Auto Drafts- a couple of features here! This feature can be controlled and edited via the UCP -> Board Preferences (tab)-> Auto Drafts (on the left hand side)
    • Save quick draft ~ below the reply box, you will now see 2 new buttons. Along with our usual "Save Draft", "Preview", and "Submit" we now have "Save quick draft" and "Load quick draft". You can quick save and quick load a draft on a post! This maintains if you move off the page.
    • Auto Save ~ if you are typing directly into the reply box, it auto saves every 20 seconds. You can navigate away from the page and (as long as you've set your preferences to do it), when you return, your words will still be in the reply box.
    • Load Quick Draft ~ if you click on this, it will show you the quick drafts associated with this post beneath the reply box - , you can choose which one to load.
  2. Breadcrumb Menu - on any / every page, at the top just under the header, there's the list of forums. If you hover over "RPG Forum Index" it will drop down and the word "Forums" will appear. You can then hover over that, and the next level of forum areas appear. Basically, you can use this to find any forum / subforum.
  3. Member Avatar ~ your avatar appears in lots of places now! In post lists, etc - there's a little thumbnail of your avatar!
  4. Status ~ if you're online, there's a green flashing dot by your name. If you're not - there's a black dot.
  5. Special Title ~ you can make a superscript title which appears next to your name. You can choose the colour - mine is set to "Pug!" and is green.
  6. Gallery ~ this has been updated and has more customisation options. Check out the "Gallery" tab in your UCP. Please note there is also a "Personalisation" tab which is part of the gallery but is, fundamentally, no use to us - feel free to ignore.
  7. Medals ~ These are largely the same, but you can now customise which ones you put in the top of your profile. Go to "UCP" then "Profile" then "Manage Profile Flair" - it gives you personalisation options!
  8. Topic Tags ~ Peer Reviewers and Mods will be able to tag posts with keywords (eg: Immortal names, Tier 2, Revelations, Blessing, etc - they / we will do this and anyone can then search by that tag. For example these will then be linked in the Wiki. Tags used on the site are at the bottom of the Index page.
  9. Linked Accounts ~ just underneath the posting area, you now have the option to change the poster on your post before you press "Submit". You can change it to any of your linked accounts and so can post as another account without logging out and logging back in!
I hope these Quality of Life upgrades have something that make you smile and make things just that little bit easier.
word count: 665
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Site Upgrade
There's been a couple of minor bugs which Tech Guy and I are looking at. For ease / convenience - I've put a bug update and report thread: here

Thanks!

Pegs.
word count: 41
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Whole Site Discussion
Lets talk about Ghosts! Would love to hear player input and discuss ghosts, ghosts skills, the ghost race, etc. Thanks! here's a discussion
word count: 35
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

BB Code & Mobile Users
Historically, and in many of the "free to use" templates etc - this site has used px as the command for things like setting the width of boxcodes. Now, that's generally fine - except -this iteration of the site is a mobile-responsive theme. That means (in theory) that the software scales your screen and there is no difficulty for mobile users. However, when we set a specific pixel width / height / padding, etc - then that fixes that in stone and the site can no longer be responsive.

We're going to slowly work our way through the "free to use" boxcodes - and the lore threads, etc and transfer them to %. I've put this guide together following the "% over pixel" rule, to be as accessible as we can be. Please be mindful of your reviewers / mods / writing partners who might be using a mobile device to access ST.
word count: 159
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

New Discussion
Discussion for all to weigh in on on Forum Structure / a possible reshuffle - this is a discussion which is open to all players - would appreciate thoughts!
word count: 36
Current Status:
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Bug Update!!

Hello!

Tech Guy and I have spent some time bug busting and I'm pleased to report we've got through a bunch of them!

Solved!
  1. The new BBCode thread makes a password box pop up. You can cancel that and you're on the thread.
  2. Thread titles have vanished from the top of posts within a thread.
  3. The "My Posts" list no longer shows forums
  4. Topic Tags are not working for anyone but me (assigning them, that is).
  5. The "Code" code was making things over-spill - it's now fixed
  6. The list of Tags on dark theme were impossible to read.

Ongoing / We Still Know About
  1. Light theme: menus have changed from black on white (pre-update) to very pale grey on white (post-update) and it makes them quite hard to read.
  2. Light theme: Breadcrumb menu, making a selection blanks out the name of that selection. The ability to go to that forum is not affected.
  3. "Moving" images in boxcodes (where you scroll and the image shifts) aren't working.
  4. If I backpage out of a thread, and then switch characters, the new character ends up on the thread I left rather than the page I was actually looking at when I switched. (Tech Guy isn't sure he can actually fix that).

If you spot a bug and want to report it - please post here in this thread = thanks!!!!
word count: 250
Current Status:
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Global Announcements”