• Site News • News & New Features!

This thread will keep you updated on news and new features!

Announcements which apply to the whole site.

Moderator: Staff

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: News & New Features!

The Call

First, and main overview, review done here

word count: 9
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Basilisk Snek
Developer - Staff (TL)
Developer - Staff (TL)
Renown: 10
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Staff

Events

Team Lead Changes
As some of you may have noticed, Oracle has decided to step down from Team Leading and from Staff in order to focus on her real life. She's done a great many things for Standing Trials during her time, including creating Hone, overhauling and improving the Lightning Knight system, helping to create the Wardens, telling great stories involving the transformation of PC's into animals and setting markets on fire, and many, many other wonderful things. She is always welcome to return to staff if she wants to, and we hope you will all join us in wishing her good luck and lots of fun as she focuses on her real life.

However, there must always be at least three TL's, and we did not want to leave staff or players waiting while we got that in order. Fortunately, we had some potential candidates already lined up in case one of us had to step down. Everyone please join me in welcoming Squirrel to the ranks of the TL's. He's done some good works of his own, including helping to create the Wardens funnily enough, and we're sure he'll only have more to add as we move forward.

Thank you for reading and have fun writing, all!
word count: 216
Squirrel
Lore Analyst (TL)
Lore Analyst (TL)
Profession: Resident Nutcase
Renown: 999
Office
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Welcome to the new Cycle, folks!

It's officially begun, and we've transferred into the Cold Cycle. All moderated cities will be updating their calendars over the coming days, all open threads within the Hot Cycle will need to be Grandfathered as of this point. All the further details on the cycle, as well as all the active and open cities coming through into the next two seasons can all be found here.

You'll notice a bit of downsizing for now, and that's because we've had a lot of staff members stepping down over the past season to focus on other things, be it real-life or character focus. However, we're always looking for new staff! Whether you've got an awesome story to tell or a mind for developing, if you think you've got the stuff, send us an application in the PSF!

word count: 150
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Clarfication

This really isn't an announcement I should have to make. However, it has become apparent to me (and other staff) that it needs saying.

I want to be very clear - so that we are all able to play fairly. It is NOT OK to assume the outcome of a thread which is unfinished. You may not assume the outcome of an in progress thread in a later one without EXPRESS permission from a mod.

I was going to include a list of examples - but I'm fairly sure that folks don't need it. Here on ST, people work for rewards - they gain them IC and they use them IC. Anyone found to be assuming the outcome of a thread and using it in later threads will be met with a zero tolerance policy - because what it does - fundamentally - is it acts in a manner which belittles and ignores the hard work of the vast majority of our players who work hard, write well, and play IC.

If you're at all unsure - please err on the side of caution. My PM box is open.

Thanks

Peg.

word count: 189

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Minor Edit: Ghost Skill

There's been a very minor edit made to the Ghost Skill Possession, in order to clarify the language.
Original Version
A domain magic spark will often attempt to forcibly initiate someone possessed by a ghost who carries a spark. The mage can fight the spark in order to keep it. If this fails, the individual often dies and the spark returns to the ghost. Those who survive the failed initiation are incredibly traumatized, akin to those who have survived having been flayed by a mage or those who've had a spark removed. If it succeeds, the person acquires the magic at 0/250 points, and automatically becomes an anchor for the ghost. If the ghost is at their anchor limit, their newest created anchor becomes undone and is no longer attached to them.
Has been changed to
Update
A domain magic spark will occasionally attempt to forcibly initiate someone possessed by a ghost who carries a spark. The mage can fight the spark in order to keep it. If this fails, the individual often dies and the spark returns to the ghost. Those who survive the failed initiation are incredibly traumatized, akin to those who have survived having been flayed by a mage or those who've had a spark removed. This is similar to a standard initiation in that both the ghost and the initiate maintain sparks after the process is completed. If it succeeds, the person acquires the magic at 0/250 points, and automatically becomes an anchor for the ghost. If the ghost is at their anchor limit, their newest created anchor becomes undone and is no longer attached to them.
Thanks

Peg.

[/quote]
word count: 283

Octopie
Prophet of Old
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet

Staff Recruitment!
Heyo Folks,

As you know, we staffers want to make sure you’re all having a good time, plots are running, cities are modded, etc, but we need your help to do that! I’m here today to announce that we are actively seeking those interested in modding here at ST. A few helpful hands to keep things running smoothly for all of us as players.

Do you love creating things?

Want to help players get approved?

Have ideas for a city?

Well, we have various positions for staff, from developing to running a city. You decide how you want to be a part of the team! If you are interested peep at the Staff Application or PM/DM a mod and discuss what you would like to possibly do or if there are other staff things you'd like to help with but aren't ready to go full mod. So if you're interested, come join us!

Thanks,

-Octopie

word count: 163
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Staff Move Around, New Roles...

Hello all!

So, we're having a slight shuffle around in staff. A couple of changes for you.

Pig Boy has joined the ranks of the Team Leads as Team Lead for the Storytellers.

Pegasus (who has an awful habit of talking about herself in the third person......) is moving over to take over a new role. Namely, I'm going to be looking at overseeing the New Player Experience. This is something exciting that I'm really passionate about and it's going to involve two new things!

1. Saoire's Dream: A new "starter city" where new players (not new pcs!) will be encouraged to start. It will be newbie friendly. Existing PCs will be able to go there, of course, but it will be very focused on new players and may have some specific rules / regulations because of that. More to come on that as I work it out (Hopefully, it'll be open soon! I have a burst of enthusiasm). It will allow new players a vibrant place to start, and will also give the option of one-time travel to any city - there'll be be "districts" for each region. Oh. It's on the back of a large blue turtle and has floating islands around it - so all new players (from Mer to Avriel) are able to use it.

2. A new role which is for those community members who maybe don't want the full staff responsibility, but are wanting to do more to help the site out. These "Player Advisors" (working title) will be working in the new player focus team - but their role will be determined in discussion between the individual and me. The kinds of things that we're looking for are:
-- CS Reviews.
-- Simple PSF requests
-- Running small "newbie appropriate" threads in the new player city (Saoire's Dream).
-- Development for new players.

Over the next couple of days, I'm going to be fleshing that role out more, I'm just getting Saoire's Dream to the point of knowing what it's going to look like. If anyone's got any questions, or wants to volunteer for a new role now, now, now, then please drop me a PM. In the mean time, congratulations to Pig Boy!

Best

Pegs.
word count: 387

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Writing Challenge...

Hello all!

We've got a Seasonal Writing Challenge underway! I hope everyone signs up and has a great time! Massive thanks to Tio Silver for running this.

Go on - it'll be great!

Best

Pegs.
word count: 38

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hello everyone,

There has been an issue raised by many reviewers about certain players roleplaying beyond a PC's skill levels.

We have many pcs on this site who have worked very hard to achieve the skills that they have. For any other pc to assume success at a skill with next to no skill in it is a slap in the face to these players' hard work. It's an insult to their creativity, and willingness to accept their characters' shortcomings. Flaws and shortcomings that bring life to their pcs as believable characters.

From now on, we'll be enforcing standards in reviews. We will allow peer reviewers to deny review requests until they adhere to our standards. The template for reviews has been altered in the new review request thread. Players are advised to change their own templates to allow for the new fields.

We have a new review request thread here: viewtopic.php?f=242&t=20657
word count: 160
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Combat and Knowledge Changes....

Hello all!

Couple of changes for you today. Staff have been working hard behind the scenes. We've had lots of discussions and we know (because we're all players!) that there has been historic confusion about the Combat Skill, and also that sometimes, choosing knowledge can be a nightmare. So. We've talked a lot - and we've had three (four? I forget) rounds of votes, and we bring to you a change to Standing Trials which I hope will please everyone.

1. The Combat Skill
Ok. We know that the Combat skill could be confusing. With signature weapons and secondary weapons. So - we've made a change. The Wiki Page makes it clear, I hope. Basically - you have a weapon school and, in that, you have all the weapons within it. There are "except if..." situations like one-handed / two-handed which are covered in the amended write-up.

But I've got 30 knowledge for Combat: Blades (Short sword) and 15 for Combat: Blades (Dagger) - what do I do?!
Well, now you've got 45 knowledge in Combat: Blades! These would be 1-handed focus, for sure. And since now Knowledge continues to be useful and can buy you GM Capstones, that's a good thing!

2. Knowledge
So, this has been a lot of time in the pipeline and, again, staff have voted. We are scrapping the need to identify / explain the exact knowledge per skill. Whereas previously you might have

Cooking: How to stir
Cooking: Make sure you season
Cooking: Taste as you go.

In your review request. From now on you would simply request

Cooking: 3 x knowledge.

The criteria for awarding knowledge remain - you have to demonstrate it (you wouldn't get awarded Cooking knowledge in a thread where you didn't cook / learn about cooking / etc), we're just removing the need to think up knowledge in the way we've had to.

PLEASE NOTE: There are exceptions to this (sort of). In Alchemy, when using blood magic to duplicate spells, you need to identify the spell. In Magic, in order to use a Technique to the best of your ability, you must have a knowledge in it. So that would be

Graft x 2 knowledge (1 of which is Enervating)

For example. The purpose of both of these changes is to allow a focus on story, rather than mechanic. I hope that's clear. Any questions, give us a shout.

Best

Pegs.
word count: 415

Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Global Announcements”