Magicians and dreamwalking Topic is solved

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Hinata
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Magicians and dreamwalking

I have gathered that using magic in emea is not good. What are the implications for mages who are in emea/dreamwalking that passivly use magic through a mutation/corruption? Or if they're revealed since they're pretty much made of magic at that point.

The answer I'm after is if it is realistic for a such a mage to spend time in emea without inviting death if they aren't intentionally using magic. I suppose this will determine whether I have my character get into dreamwalking or not..
word count: 91
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: Magicians and dreamwalking

Yes, magic use in Emea is what we call a 'bad idea'. You would draw all manner of attention from ravenous beings beyond the void. They would swarm the mage eventually, or haunt them in their dreams. Using magic in Emea is like lighting a match in a room full of flammable gas. Even if you didn't attract attention, you'd swiftly lose control of your magic, like a car going extreme speeds trying to steer in and out of lanes.

For passive mutations that have ether drain, or mutations that grant abilities (we try to limit the number of abilities that slip through the dev process, but some do slip through.), I'm inclined to say that they would attract attention, by dint of using magic.

That said there are ways of suppressing magic, such as a ring of paradigm. There may be other ways but they've yet to become widely available, and every other method of suppressing magic involves more magic (abrogation and attunement).

As for revealing, it's possible to suppress your revelation on a limited basis for certain periods of time, although it comes with its own risks:

wiki/index.php?title=Category:Revelations
Stifle Stifle is an ability that Revealed Mages may learn that allows them to suppress their Revealed shape for a few to several trials. Doing so returns them in form to the shape they had before Revelation but in forcibly suppressing their power they plunge in ability to the lower end of Master or upper end of Expertise in terms of etheric force. When they desire to return to their true form (as eventually they must), they must reawaken that power which takes as many breaks as they spent Trials Stifled. This awakening cannot be sped up by any means. In addition, the longer they Stifle themselves, the greater their latent hunger grows. For up to fifteen total trials in a Cycle, a Revealed will acquire the Thirst Flaw. Each ten trials after increases that Thirst as though they were Flaying. Revealed who spend too much time suppressing who they are sometimes lost to the hunger of their true nature.
word count: 360
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”