Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Cyrus, Cad, Kisaik, Nathan, Goku, and Tei'serin

Moderators: Pig Boy, Pegasus

User avatar
Nathan Wolfgang
Approved Character
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 am
Race: Human
Renown: +15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:09 am

OOC

  • Swear words

He braces himself for what is to come, yet he never counted on the fact that there are other dangers aside from the Aukari, the spirits that Kisaik saw earlier and well, getting burn alive. He has faced Aukari before and from his experience is that they are a nasty bunch of trained killers whose sole purpose in being born is becoming the weapons of Faldrun. Just like him and probably the majority of Ironridge-born. But to see a person that he considered more experienced tremble in fear says a lot about the trouble they’re in. Truly must have been something scary enough to make the Aukari seemingly paralyze and trembling in fear. Even that wounded Aukari that his commander killed doesn’t show any sign of fear right till the very end.

“Psssst, Chip, Hey Chip? Come back here. Be careful!” Nathan called out after Kisaik, it developed from a whisper to near shouting.

Bloody fuck, ghost girl is right. I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me when Tei’serin approached the magma eggs. T-H-E-Y A-R-E fucking eggs. By the Immortals, who knows what kind of creature does these magma eggs belonged to. This is above my pay grade. If that’s the artifact then it’d be better to leave it the hell alone. Forget about trying to bring it home. I ain’t touching that. Nathan thought to himself as his grip tightens.

“Umm Tei’serin, did you see something resembling those flaming rocks in the book? Got any suggestion on what we must do?” Nathan said to Tei’serin as he pointed at the magma rocks in the middle of the room with his sword.

He then turned his head at the Cad. “Doctor, any ideas, suggestions, or plan? We could always go back the way we came into.”

He then turned his head and look at the magma rocks. “We could always use the Aukari as fodder and get out of here or wacked them in hopes to make our friendly intentions clear to whatever creature that’s making the growling. The silver-haired Immortal just told us to keep it safe right? This seems safe enough.” Nathan said to his companions.

Dispatching the Aukari would seem like a good move, but we still don’t know what is hiding in the shadows. They don’t seem to be taking notice of us. Nathan thought to himself as against his better judgments, he slowly made his way toward the magma eggs at the center of the room.

“Chip,” Nathan said in a whisper, trying to get his attention.

He gets as close as he could to both Kisaik and the eggs. It seems to be glowing brighter and shaking violently in response to the growls.

“Hey Chip, see anything? What do you think these rocks are? They sure look and act like eggs that are about to hatch.”

He crouched beside Kisaik and lifts the visor of his helmet to get a better look at the eggs. He took another look at the Aukari several feet in front of him then back at the eggs. He raises his left hand as if to touch the egg and saw that the eggs were indeed twitching. He pulls back his hand.

Maybe it only responded to the living? Nathan thought to himself. He then places his hand in his pocket and grips the seashell. After five trills he let go of it, he then glances backward for a trill to make sure that Tei’serin and Cad are still there and that nothing sneaks on them. Being sandwiched in a battle is the worst possible situation. No room to move forward and to retreat.

“So, what now?” He said turning toward Kisaik.
word count: 639
User avatar
Tei'serin Nji'ryn
Approved Character
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 am
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Herbalist and Teacher
Renown: +268
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 21

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 am

Image




As Chip approached the magma rock "eggs," they began to twitch, almost as if they...or something that was inside them...could sense his approach. Tei'serin blinked. Then she stared at them, wide eyed. The ghost girl was right. The "magma rocks" really were eggs. Tei'serin took a step back as she continued to stare at the eggs. If they really were sensing people or movement close to them, then Tei'serin wanted to be far back enough that they wouldn't be bothered by her presence.

Did this mean that they weren't the artifact that they were supposed to find? Or was Faldrun using these eggs for something? Or perhaps...was he wanting to use whatever was inside them when they hatched? Because really...the type of creature that laid magma rock eggs was almost certainly not the kind of creature that was safe for people to be around.

Nathan asked her if there was anything in the book she had found that might resemble the magma eggs. She hadn't seen anything when she had looked through the book briefly, but she had only flipped through a few pages; enough to note that it was written in a language that was unfamiliar to her and that it had beautiful pictures of plants and herbs in it.

"No I didn't, but let me check again." she said softly.

Then she did just that, taking the book off of her back so she could open it and see what she could find. She wasn't how much good it would do if she couldn't read what was written in the book, but if there was a picture of the eggs, there might also be a picture of whatever creature would hatch out of them. She glanced a Nathan briefly when he asked the "doctor" if he had any ideas or suggestions.

"I think I like the idea of going back the way we came myself. Preferably before those people realize we're here or those eggs hatch." Tei'serin said quietly before she turned back to the book she had found.

A noise distracted her, and she looked up in time to see the woman's body jerk just before she fell to the ground screaming. A low rumbling sound could be heard from the tunnels, and Tei'serin had no desire to see what was causing it. Two glowing red symbols appeared in mid air, shining in the darkness. Tei'serin didn't recognize them, but they filled her with dread. Glowing symbols didn't just appear like that. Someone, or some thing must have caused it to happen, and whatever it was was likely something very bad for them.

The rumbling sound turned into growls, and the eggs were glowing now. The symbols grew brighter with each low growl, and one of the men fell down, his eyes still peering into the darkness of the tunnels. He said something. Tei'serin couldn't understand the language he was speaking, but from the tone, it sounded as if he was begging for mercy. More than ever, Tei'serin wanted to retreat back the way they had come. Instead, she quickly slung her arms through the ropes around the book so it was secured to her back once more, and she drew her bow. She didn't ready an arrow just yet, but she wanted to be prepared in case there was no choice but to fight. Like Nathan, she too turned to Chip.

"I don't know what's making that growling sound, but it seems likely to me that it could be the mother of those eggs." she said softly, not wanting to be heard by whatever was making those growling sounds.

"And if it is, she might think we're a threat to her eggs..."


word count: 651
User avatar
Kisaik
Approved Character
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:58 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: +260
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 1

Miscellaneous

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:11 am

Image
Image
Kisaik could hear Nathan whispering from the darkness, and furrowed his brow. The soldier ought to have more faith that Kisaik knew what he was doing. Yet he couldn't blame the grizzled man his concern. This was quite unlike anything that Kisaik had EVER seen. Quite outside his experience with eggs, certainly, of all kinds too! He'd dealt with bird eggs, turtle eggs, all kinds. But he'd never seen whatever kind of creature these were formed from.

Nathan asked him to do something with his growy legs, and Kisaik had to shake his head. He was too weak to really trip anyone. As it was, he was a good fighter, but he got on by skill and speed. Strength never really factored into it. Yet, as he came into the midst of those eggs, a plan did begin to form. These Aukari, though they were near to their homeland, were intruders in the Heart of the World. Kisaik was guessing, but he'd wager that whatever beasts lie down there, judging by their reactions, weren't friendly to the aukari agents..

Kisaik didn't want to fight if he didn't have to, but he took U'frek's protection, and thus put his trust in the old salty god of the sea. He would stop these Aukari from finding what they were after. And to do so, he'd have to make his own intentions, and those of his group, clear to the creatures prowling in the darkness, and protecting their eggs.

So, He looked up at Nathan, over his shoulder, and nodded at him. He spoke to Nathan, just a short statement, before he'd do what he had to, "Soldier, be ready for a fight!"

This said, he opened his mouth, and tore a rupturing Roar through the air, challenging the Aukari and drawing their attention away from the eggs as he bounded over toward the tunnels. As he went along, his amplified voice called in a Clarion call to the creatures within the tunnels, beseeching them to come to the aid of their young. "Creatures of the Heart of the World!" He shouted, for all to hear, "Come to the aid of your young! These Aukari seek to harm your territory, they trespass and plunder. No more! For I and my companions have come to your aid!"

Kisaik kissed his Orange Fairy ring for courage, and wrapped Vega's scarf around his neck as he bounded down the tunnels, seeking out the creatures that were lurking just beyond, and seemed to so terrify the Aukari. He would mount one of them, if he was able (Expert Mount and Expert Athletics), and with their strength dash the Aukari contingent between a vice maneuver of his companions and himself and the creatures!

"Onward! To Victory!"
OOC
Kisaik is using his mortalborn ability in order to call whatever animal/beast/thing is growling from the tunnels, to call them to his aid:

Echo: Clarion Call: an extention of a tunawa's ability to throw their voice and imitate animal noises, Kisaik can make himself understood by animals near and far, to the point where depending on his Etiquette and other social skills, he may be able to convince them to come to his aid. Otherwise, he can reason with creatures that are negatively disposed toward him. This functions as a one-way communication, as he cannot understand the animal's language.

He also used a rupturing technique from magic, to make his voice abnormally loud and almost enough to disrupt the hearing of those nearby (the Aukari).

word count: 600
Image
Image
User avatar
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Animal Trainer
Renown: +120
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:28 pm

Kisaik roared, and the beast, deep in the depths, roared in return. Small creatures of fire and heat assailed the fallen Aukari who only yelped and swatted in an attempt to keep their attention on whatever lurked ahead. Tei'serin, Cad, and Nathan further away, seemed to see it in slow motion. A loud thunderous thump that shook the cavern walls. The sound of a foot vibrating through the cavern as it stepped forward in warning. A single, yellow reptilian eye opened in Kisaik's view and then there was a roar that blasted powerful heated air through the Heart's veins.

Kisaik

It all happened in a moment- Kisaik saw the beast. The lizard- the monstrous lizard that had such a powerful presence when being looked at… it frilled its neck in warning, glowing with rolling lava- almost as if it was stored there. And then it roared, and he felt intense heated air blow him back along with his comrades as the eye closed.

Everyone

With Kisaik being blown back, it was apparent that the air's heat would've been enough to fry them without U'frek's protection. More than the heat though, was the enormous power behind the hot air. It pushed down on their fronts, forcing them back a few steps and on to all fours to keep from being thrown back further.

The glowing symbol near the eggs faded and the eggs ceased their rocking. Just as quickly as it began, it was over. The heart settled. The ground ceased to shake. There was no more rumbling. The only movement after was what appeared to be a tongue shoot from the depths, wrap around the Aukari in an instant, and pull them into the darkness as the flesh touched by the appendage melted off and they screamed in anguish.

And then all was quiet.

General Information

  • Now that we're getting significantly into the story part, any non-posting will have a greater effect on both the story itself and the other PCs. Therefore, we are adopting an approach of "two strikes" - miss one round of posting and there are IC consequences at the end of the thread. If a second round is missed, the PC(s) in question will be written out of the thread and a negative consequence will be given. If there is going to be an issue for you, please contact your mod or Basilisk at the earliest moment, in order to work out where to go from here.
  • Please note that these rules will apply to all players in this thread. When we move to the next stage of this Global Event, however, it will be a no-strikes policy, which Basilisk will make explicit.
  • Due to the time-sensitive nature of this, I can not hold out for people to post. If you miss a round, there will (I'm afraid) be consequences. That said, doing silly things like slapping an immortal will also have consequences- if you know you're not going to make a deadline just communicate and we can work something out.
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was created by a wonderful moderator named Crimson.
  • Next modpost will be on the Tuesday the 3rd. Anyone who has not posted by 10:59 PM EST on Monday the 19th will be counted for one missed round.

Objectives

 ! Message from: Must-Do
  • None.
 ! Message from: Can-Do
  • None

Strikes

Kisaik has one strike.
Cad has one strike.
Goku and Cyrus have been removed from thr event.
word count: 588
User avatar
Cad Revel
Approved Character
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:46 pm

Image

Timestamp: 35th of Saun, 721
Location: The Heart of the World
Cad nodded along to Nathan's remark about something feeling off. The there was an oppressive air about the caverns, a pressure that felt like it was caused by more than just the heat. When Nathan asked him what skill set it was that he possessed, Cad puffed his chest out proudly. "Why, I possess too many talents to name! None can compare to my genius in all forms of science, nor my mastery of alchemy and ensorcelling! Sadly though it was not the talents I have developed through hard work that my patron selected me for. I have a somewhat abnormal heritage, and possess powers others cannot replicate. I'll not go into detail, but they lend themselves to support more than combat."

Cad accepted the offered axe with a thankful nod, and held it clumsily at the ready with the awkwardness of someone unused to handling weapons as Kisaik darted over towards the rock. When the rumbling growl echoed out of the tunnels ahead Cad couldn't help letting a tiny whimper of fear slip past his lips, and pressed himself further against the rocky wall in an effort to keep himself better hidden. Whatever it was making a sound like that up ahead was not something he wanted to be anywhere near thank you very much!

The little tunawa charged at the Aukari, apparently deciding that it was a good idea to fight them, but before he could reach another powerful roar, this one accompanied by a blast of hot air that would have fried the flesh off his bones if he had any, rocketed through the tunnel and blasted the Tunawa back. A second later a forked tongue lashed out, catching the Aukari and dragging them screaming away into the darkness.

For a moment after all was quiet. If Cad had been scared before, it was now fair to say that he was absolutely terrified. There was a monster waiting in the darkness up ahead: a monster capable of devouring two highly trained Aukari agents with just a flick of its tongue. This was clearly not something that they'd be able to best in combat even if they brought an army with them.

"I... I want to say we should study those eggs more." Cad was eventually able to stutter out. "I was told by the boss that some kind of artefact was the key to this whole situation, and by the looks of it those eggs might be those very artefacts. We'd need o investigate them further to discover if that is true or not." He grimaced. "But I'm also very, very keen on not giving that creature the idea that we mean its eggs any harm. Anyone have any brilliant ideas as to how we can keep it calm?"

Magic/Abilities/Items Used

None
word count: 505
User avatar
Tei'serin Nji'ryn
Approved Character
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 am
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Herbalist and Teacher
Renown: +268
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 21

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:31 am

Image



Tei'serin watched in horror as Chip called out loudly to whatever creatures were making the growling sounds in the tunnels ahead of them. Why in the name of any Immortal would he do that?! Not only was he alerting the people who were guarding the tunnels to their presence, he was all but begging the creature...whatever it was..to come into the cavern to protect its eggs. A creature that was capable of laying magma eggs. One that likely had the intelligence of any animal, and would all but certainly see them as a threat to its eggs as much as the other people in the cavern.

Part of Tei'serin wanted to run. She wanted no part in facing whatever kind of creature laid magma eggs. She knew nothing of magic artifacts, and she had no idea why U'frek had brought her here to help find the one that Faldrun wanted to use. But there was no way that she was going to run past the people guarding the tunnels and into whatever was making that horrible growling sound. And while she could retreat the way they had come, there was no way of knowing if there were more of the creatures waiting for them in that tunnel. So for the trill, she stayed her ground.

The beast roared, seemingly in response to Chip's call. Small creatures that looked as though they were made out of fire attacked the fallen man. Then a thunderous sound shook the cavern walls. It sounded almost like a footstep, and Tei'serin froze where she stood. Her eyes were fixed on the tunnels ahead of them. The beast roared again, and Chip was blown back by a blast of super heated air. From where she was standing, she could feel some of the force of the blast, and it was enough to drop her to all fours lest she be sent flying like Chip had been. The air was so hot that she realized that it would have fried them all if it hadn't been for U'frek's protection.

Then it was over. The glowing symbol over the eggs faded. The eggs stopped rocking. The intense heat faded, and the walls stopped shaking. Tei'serin began to relax slightly, only to freeze in horror once more when a tongue shot out of the darkness of the tunnels, grabbed the people who were guarding the tunnels, and dragged them into the darkness screaming. The flesh that the tongue touched melted, and Tei'serin guessed that whatever creature it belonged to was likely to be the kind that would lay magma rock eggs.

Silence descended over the cavern, and Tei'serin climbed to her feet shakily. Her eyes were fixed on the tunnels warily just in case the tongue was going to shoot out of the darkness once more and grab them next. She edged back towards the entrance they came through, wanting to put more distance between herself, and the creature that was probably still out there somewhere.

Doctor Revel said that they should study the eggs, and she turned to stare at him incredulously.

"Study them how, exactly? Do you mean to try and break one of them open and dissect the embryo inside it to see if it's the artifact that we're looking for? Because I'm pretty sure that it would anger the people eating creature out there if you kill one of her unhatched offspring..."

Her voice was quiet, but shrill with fear as she spoke. She closed her eyes for several trills and tried to force herself to calm down. It didn't help much, but it prevented her from falling into complete panic, if only just. Doctor Revel continued speaking, and Tei'serin was somewhat reassured when he spoke of his desire to not do anything that would make the creature think they wanted to hurt its eggs.

"I'm afraid I don't." she said quietly when he asked if they had ideas of how to keep the creature calm.

Tei'srein wanted no part of this artifact hunt. U'frek hadn't asked her if she wanted to help. If he had, she would have considered it. She might have even said yes if he thought that there was something that she could do to help. He had told them that Faldrun wanted the artifact they were supposed to find, after all, and Tei'serin didn't think it was a good idea to let him have it...whatever it was. But they had no idea what the artifact they were looking for was supposed to look like. Or what it might be able to do. Or how to handle it safely. Or...anything, really. They needed a lot more information than they had. U'frek was not the Immortal that she served. And he had not asked her. Instead, he had kidnapped her, and dropped her deep in enemy territory with a group of complete strangers. Worse, strange men. Tei'serin did not trust her companions in the slightest. None of them had told her that they were working for Thorin yet, but that didn't mean that none of them were. Tei'serin did not feel that she had much she could offer on an artifact hunt. The last one she had been on certainly had not gone well. She didn't even have any medical supplies in case someone were to get injured. It was true that Moseke had given her abilities that would allow her to heal some things even without any medical supplies, but those abilities were limited. And her ability to use them would be hindered greatly if they were fighting at the time.

And yet...what were her choices, really? She knew fully well that her best chance of getting back to Desnind alive was if U'frek brought her back home. And that didn't seem likely to happen unless she and the others found the artifact that they were supposed to find. So she forced herself to try and think things through.

"Do you know how to tell if these eggs are artifacts or not, Doctor Revel?" she asked a few trills later.




word count: 1052
User avatar
Nathan Wolfgang
Approved Character
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 am
Race: Human
Renown: +15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:36 pm

OOC

  • Swear words

Nathan’s breathing got faster, he was about to run after Kisaik when he heard the beast roared back in response to Kisaik’s roar. But then he saw it, heard it, and underneath that armor, he felt it, the vibration, the loud thumping. Nathan stopped dead in his tracks. He lifted his sword to try and shield himself from whatever is coming out of that cave.

“What in Idalos is that? Giant creatures? Fire breathing lizards?” Nathan said to himself before feeling the blow of the intensely heated air.

“F..u..c..k” Nathan curses under his breath as he tried to keep his balance but he couldn’t he was being pushed back, added with the weight of his armor and the heat, his sword left the grip of his hands and was blown back. Nathan fell to his knees and uses his arm to keep himself steady on all fours and to avoid being blown back. Nathan closes his eyes and felt for what seems like an eternity, and then as suddenly as it begins it stops.

“Thank the Immortals!” Nathan said as soon as he felt the pressure easing and quickly took off his helmet and took a lungful of air. After he has got his fill of oxygen pouring into his lungs he quickly stood up and look at his companions.

“Chip, Chip!” He called out at Kisaik

“Hey, doctor! You ok?” He called after Cad

“Tei’serin, are you hurt?” He said asking Tei’serin as he looks for where his sword has fallen, he was afraid that it would have flown and struck someone. He then made his way toward where his sword was, stuck to the cavern wall. He then grabbed the hilt of his sword with one hand, then with both hands as he tried to pull the sword out.

“Study those eggs? I agree with Tei’serin on that. Don’t you saw what happen to those who have perhaps the same intention of touching or studying those damn eggs?” Nathan replied to what Cad said, still while still struggling to pull his sword out of the wall.

Nathan stopped for a while to catch his breath. “For all we know, the artifact could be that creature inside the cave. They didn’t say what the artifact was right? Or we could ask the ghost we met earlier.”

Nathan put his strength into pulling the sword out, imbued by the passive ability of his mark he finally manages to pull out his sword and almost fell back due to the momentum of the pull. After steadying himself he looked at the eggs then at the cave.

“Either that or the cave.” He said as he pointed his sword at the nest-like structure, then at the cave where the Aukari have been pulled into.

As if a light bulb lit up in his head he turned toward where Kisaik is, “Hey Chip, do you think they're still here? Cause if I remember correctly she said they were drawn to it right?” He said as he motioned with his head around the room.
word count: 526
User avatar
Kisaik
Approved Character
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:58 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Protagonist
Renown: +260
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 8
Medal count: 1

Miscellaneous

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:55 pm

Image
Image
Well, that... could've gone worse!

As Kisaik was pushed back by a breath of very very hot air, he reflected on his decision to charge ahead. Adrenaline was pumping through his sap at the moment, and whatever was left remained suitably humbled by the might of the beast he'd tried to reason with. That wouldn't work. Okay, lesson learned!

Kisaik's ears were ringing, but he could hear Nathan trying to get his attention, "Yes lad, I'm... I think I'm fine. Apparently reasoning with that beast isn't going to work, so perhaps we'd need to fall back?" It was a course of action that Kisaik would never really consider, when faced with a dangerous situation. But he was running out of ideas at this point.

When Nathan finally asked to check and see if the spirits or ghosts were still around, drawn to the area, Kisaik weakly nodded, "It's worth a try, soldier. Let me see if I can get my mojo running..." So saying, Kisaik attempted once more to peer into the Beneath, beyond the Veil and see if there were either ghosts, or spirits surrounding those eggs, or the creature beyond.

He tried to determine what, if any concept the spirits had, and if there were ghosts as well, try to gauge whether they were friendly...

He hoped they were friendly.

"Please watch my back as I try to peer into the Beneath! I will pull my head out if anything dangerous rears its head!"

word count: 255
Image
Image
User avatar
Shl'Drei
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Animal Trainer
Renown: +120
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:06 pm

For those few trills of quiet, all was still. The only sound was steam hissing from fireborne creatures retreating into lava veins or the soft sizzle of their footsteps as they went further into the cave. If the group paid attention to them, the creatures all kept a certain distance from the eggs as they retreated. Once they were gone the group whispered quietly among themselves for a plan. Tei'serin's panic was not unfounded- the creature was indeed protecting the eggs from harm. And Nathan, who had along with Kisaik, caught a glimpse of the creature… there was nothing to fight unless death was the goal.

While Kisaik's view had been clearest, he had not had enough time to truly look at the beast before he'd been blasted away. Moreover, the step the beast had taken only revealed a reptilian, clawed foot. From the group's location they could see that even as the spoke- where the ground cracked and crumbled around it, the skin which looked to have solid rock-like scales… The foot was roughly the size of the eggs themselves.

Despite its obvious threat, the beast did not reveal itself further. In fact, after they moved no closer there was a thundering thump as it's clawed foot retreated back into the darkness. When Nathan asked about the beneath and Kisaik dipped his head below… well, it became odd.

The first thing Kisaik noticed was the over abundance of ghosts. Compared to their previous position where they were basically crawling and trampling one another while reaching, they seemed to have been pushed back by some mysterious force they were still recovering from. There was a thick ring of ghosts around the original area.

Though they rediated hostility, they did not attack. They looked even more translucent, drained, and weak. As if the force that had pushed them away had also taken a great deal of their ectoplasm. They were sluggish, anguished even. A scattered few were Emptying somehow. The ring of empty space seemed to repel them, as they could not get closer to the area just below the eggs.

"I'm sorry I ran away." A sudden frightened whisper spoke up behind the group. The little ghost, the child was back. She couldn't quite hold a physical form, little more than a barely noticeable shimmer to them. But her voice was clear. "I was too scared to come out."

"You can see them," the voice drifted closer to Kisaik. "They want the energy. It's strong. But it repels them. It's scary."

She flickered and then it was even harder to see her. "I can't stay," she said, sounding sad. "You guys aren't so bad, I think we're friends." Though directed at the group, it sounded like she was referencing something. "Thank you."

There was a trills pause. And then she spoke one last time. "It doesn't react if you stay away from the eggs." And then she was gone.

General Information

  • Now that we're getting significantly into the story part, any non-posting will have a greater effect on both the story itself and the other PCs. Therefore, we are adopting an approach of "two strikes" - miss one round of posting and there are IC consequences at the end of the thread. If a second round is missed, the PC(s) in question will be written out of the thread and a negative consequence will be given. If there is going to be an issue for you, please contact your mod or Basilisk at the earliest moment, in order to work out where to go from here.
  • Please note that these rules will apply to all players in this thread. When we move to the next stage of this Global Event, however, it will be a no-strikes policy, which Basilisk will make explicit.
  • Due to the time-sensitive nature of this, I can not hold out for people to post. If you miss a round, there will (I'm afraid) be consequences. That said, doing silly things like slapping an immortal will also have consequences- if you know you're not going to make a deadline just communicate and we can work something out.
  • This style of event moderation - with objectives etc - was created by a wonderful moderator named Crimson.
  • Next modpost will be on the Tuesday the 10th. Anyone who has not posted by 10:59 PM EST on Monday the 9th will be counted for one missed round.

Objectives

 ! Message from: Must-Do
  • None.
 ! Message from: Can-Do
  • None

Strikes

Kisaik has one strike.
Cad has one strike.
Goku and Cyrus have been removed from the event.
word count: 781
User avatar
Cad Revel
Approved Character
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:30 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Re: Ruin's Dawn: Ocean Forge

Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:46 am

Image

Timestamp: 35th of Saun, 721
Location: The Heart of the World
When Tei'serin asked if he could identify whether or not the eggs were the artefacts they were searching for, Cad's face scrunched up in thought. "If I had the equipment in my laboratory, sure. Deciphering the power behind those symbols would be mere child's play for me. But here?" Though he didn't necessarily have to understand the symbol to figure out if this was the artefact Valtharn had referenced now did he? Perhaps if he could understand the egg's weakness he'd get a clue as to what it was supposed to be? "... Let me get a good look at it. I might be able to figure something out." He shot a look over to Nathan. "Don't worry, I'm not going to touch it or try to get near it. I would very much prefer not to get eaten."

He poked his head around the corner and stared intently at the eggs again, willing once again for that guiding voice to whisper her secrets to him. It would have been useful if he could have found out the beast's weakness too, but without being able to properly see it his unique power would not activate. Hopefully whatever weakness the eggs held would be enough.

Magic/Abilities/Items Used

Mortalborn - Hamartia: Everything has a weakness. It could be a physical one, like an old injury or a crack in a wall. It could be a psychological one, like a fear or a nasty secret. It could even be a supernatural one, like a mutation or a curse. As long as Cad can see his target and consciously wishes to activate this power, a disembodied voice will whisper in his ear telling him what the target's current greatest weakness is. It does not come with the knowledge of how to use this information to his advantage; he must figure this out himself.

Shl'drei, it would be greatly appreicated if in your next post you described what Cad discovers the egg's weakness to be. Thank you.
word count: 376
Post Reply

Return to “Parts Unknown”